PDA

View Full Version : Harry Caray Ripping on the White Sox

marveldc7
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM
What a bozo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXOo46x0o4

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
It's really funny how I just lost a few minutes of my life watching that. And to think.....hmmm.....the White Sox saved Harry Caray's career. Someone needs to bring that up to this guy...seriously.

esbrechtel
09-16-2008, 01:45 PM
whats the score?

TDog
09-16-2008, 02:06 PM
... And to think.....hmmm.....the White Sox saved Harry Caray's career. Someone needs to bring that up to this guy...seriously.

That's not the way Harry Caray tells it. Harry Caray said, and his widow now repeats, given the slightest opportunity, that Harry Caray saved the Sox.

I really enjoyed listening to Harry Caray when I was a kid. Even after I met him and discovered he wasn't a very nice human being, I enjoyed listening to him.

But this is a man who ripped the Cardinals in a television interview in which he was drinking a can of Schlitz, holding the can so the logo was displayed prominently. How many celebrities are drinking beer while they are being interviewed about losing their jobs?

After an unhappy year doing the A's games, Harry Caray was hired by the White Sox, a team rebuilding after being the worst in baseball. He built up a following. Ripping on players didn't alienate him with Sox fans. Many operate in that mode anyway, as evidenced by most WSI discussions. He goes to the Cubs for the big money and an agreement not to rip on players (until he becomes established), but he rips on his former team, actions with which his new employer endorses. Buy our beer. Buy our team. Screw your beer. Screw your team.

I have a great picture of Harry Caray greeting autograph-seeking kids in my portfolio. It's been displayed in an art gallery. Maybe some fans thought he was bigger than the players. He certainly considered himself bigger than the players (except for Dizzy Dean, Stan Musial and Bob Gibson). But he was not. He was a petty human being only concerned with his own selfish interests.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
T-Dog:

First off the Sox actually offered Harry more money for 1982 then the Cubs did according to Noel Gimbel in his documentary on Harry. (and you can find his interview here at WSI)

Harry left the Sox because of SportsVision (and you can find the exact quotes in my story called SportsVision-The Leagcy) and because he detested the new ownership.

It is speculated but never proven (that I know of) that Harry was ordered not to rip the Cubs. (Not doubting it but I've never seen actual evidence.)

Ego or not, Harry's popularity kept this franchise going from 1974 through 1980. It certainly wasn't the play on the field that's for sure. (with the exception of 1977)

Lip

Noneck
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
T-Dog:

Harry left the Sox because of SportsVision (and you can find the exact quotes in my story called SportsVision-The Leagcy) and because he detested the new ownership.

Lip

Lip,

Didn't Harry say at one point when asked why he left the Sox," I can only work for a honest man." I seem to remember that but never hear mention of it.

TDog
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
T-Dog:

First off the Sox actually offered Harry more money for 1982 then the Cubs did according to Noel Gimbel in his documentary on Harry. (and you can find his interview here at WSI)

It is speculated but never proven (that I know of) that Harry was ordered not to rip the Cubs. (Not doubting it but I've never seen actual evidence.)

Ego or not, Harry's popularity kept this franchise going from 1974 through 1980. It certainly wasn't the play on the field that's for sure. (with the exception of 1977)

Lip

The fact that he didn't rip on the Cubs' players (and leadership) after moving to the Cubs, after ripping on the Cardinals, A's and White Sox players (and leadership), the fact that he became a kinder and gentler Harry Caray is certainly strong evidence that he agreed to play nice. My sources (granted, people who didn't mourn his passing) assure me that this is the case. Because they must remain nameless, I probably shouldn't have mentioned that I have sources. But sources notwithstanding, the reality is obvious and sufficient to make the point.

The money he was being offered was big enough that that being able to continue to work in Chicago and only have to deal with day baseball so he could spend every night on Rush Street would have been a deciding factor regardless of his feelings towards the ownership, Rush Street being his priority. The Sox would have survived the second half of the 1970s without Harry Caray. He drove away as many fans as he brought to the ballpark. It wasn't until after he left that they drew 2 million fans, and it wasn't until after the Sox drew 2 million fans that the Cubs with Harry Caray drew 2 million fans. Dick Allen did far more to save the franchise than Harry Caray did, and after Harry Caray left the Sox, he worked against the success of the franchise for petty reasons.

Jack Brickhouse, of course, never spoke ill of the White Sox in public. If he spoke ill of the White Sox in private, I would expect he did so with many qualifiers. The same is probably true for John Rooney or Bob Elson, although Elson questioned the ability of the White Sox to compete in 1971 after he was hired as an Oakland announcer. Rooney questioned the Griffey trade, but that isn't the same thing.

I don't think Bob Waller ever ripped the White Sox after he left, and he had more reason to do so than Harry Caray.

Jaffar
09-16-2008, 04:19 PM
TDog, Lip,
I was born in 79 so I didn't get to experience Harry and his days with the Sox but I have seen videos and read stories. I really enjoy some of the insight you guys bring to topics and have enjoyed this thread so far.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 04:24 PM
It's really funny how I just lost a few minutes of my life watching that. And to think.....hmmm.....the White Sox saved Harry Caray's career. Someone needs to bring that up to this guy...seriously.

He's dead.

SoxGirl4Life
09-16-2008, 05:01 PM
He's dead.

details

gobears1987
09-16-2008, 05:07 PM
He's dead.
That's crazy talk.

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 06:26 PM
details
His vitals flat-lined.

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
That's crazy talk.
You're right. I hear him all the time on the radio with Johnny B. He was on there today talking about Zambozo's no hitter.

Where are they hiding him????

WSox597
09-16-2008, 08:16 PM
I never liked his act, even with the Sox. I did like the fact that he would call out a Sox player for dogging it.

He took it too far, and his act wore thin real fast for me. If it wasn't for Piersall, he would have been even more of an embarassment than he was.

I was relieved when he moved north, he fit in better up there anyway. You'll notice there's no statue of him at US Cellular Field.

The guy was drunk as a monkey by the sixth or seventh inning. He was an embarassment to baseball. Hardly an idol, except to himself.

I'm not a fan of Ken Harrelson, but he's a much better announcer than Caray was, and he played the game, which Caray didn't do.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 10:05 PM
No Neck:

In his biography Harry (or his ghostwriter) wrote that (and I'm paraphrasing...) Sox fans would always come up to him asking 'why did you leave?' Harry said he'd tell them that he loved the Sox, loved Comiskey Park but couldn't work for the new owners.

He went so far as to call them *******s in the book.

By the way, here's the link to the SportsVision story:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

and here's the link to Noel Gimble's interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3246

Harry wasn't a saint by any means but he was a damn good announcer and as stated the only reason some years to even bother watching or listening to the team because they were usually pretty bad on the field.

Lip

Noneck
09-16-2008, 10:32 PM
No Neck:

In his biography Harry (or his ghostwriter) wrote that (and I'm paraphrasing...) Sox fans would always come up to him asking 'why did you leave?' Harry said he'd tell them that he loved the Sox, loved Comiskey Park but couldn't work for the new owners.

He went so far as to call them *******s in the book.White Sox Interactive Forums - Powered by vBulletin (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/index.php?s=)

By the way, here's the link to the SportsVision story:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=2096

and here's the link to Noel Gimble's interview:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=2&id=3246

Harry wasn't a saint by any means but he was a damn good announcer and as stated the only reason some years to even bother watching or listening to the team because they were usually pretty bad on the field.

Lip

Thanks Lip but I've already read those articles. I also agree with you about Harry, He and Jimmy were the reason I listened and watched religiously during some very bad years. He had his faults but knew the game and made bad teams interesting to watch and listen to. And regarding what was mentioned about the classless way he knocked the Sox after his departure in no way compares to the way a owner of a team that gets to the post after 14years and goes out of his way during the post game celebration to call a former employee scum. Maybe Harry wasn't totally wrong in his classless statements.

TDog
09-17-2008, 12:41 AM
... Maybe Harry wasn't totally wrong in his classless statements.

The classless statements he made about the Sox management or the classless statements he made about the Cardinals management?

Noneck
09-17-2008, 07:36 AM
The classless statements he made about the Sox management or the classless statements he made about the Cardinals management?
I am not familiar with his situation in St. Louis, My only experience with him prior to the Sox was getting a Cardinals game on my grandpas Philco on a clear night.

The Dude
09-17-2008, 07:39 AM
He's dead.

http://content.clearchannel.com/Photos/male_celebrities/will_ferrell/will_ferrell_ScottGries.jpg
"Dig him up!"

Hitmen77
09-17-2008, 08:31 AM
What a bozo:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXOo46x0o4

I know it was just good natured ribbing, but that was pretty damn stupid.

Any interview with Harry I ever saw said his beef was with Reinsdorf and Einhorn and not Sox fans. I know this was just a joke, but Harry would never go up to Sox fans and ask them to root for the Cubs. I remember seeing a Bob Costas special with Harry where he (Harry) was amazed that people only associated him with the Cubs and don't remember that he had many years with the Sox (and many more with the Cardinals).

Makes you wonder if the people who did this even realized that Harry worked for the Sox almost as long as he did for the Cubs.

TDog
09-17-2008, 12:11 PM
I am not familiar with his situation in St. Louis, My only experience with him prior to the Sox was getting a Cardinals game on my grandpas Philco on a clear night.

My point was that Harry Caray proved himself a classless person before he came to the Sox.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:30 PM
One of my favorite shirts I've ever seen at Comiskey, I saw this year: "Cubs baseball killed Harry."

LITTLE NELL
09-17-2008, 02:54 PM
True story; in 74 Harry and Bob Waller really bashed the Sox in the closing weeks of the season for not hustling etc. After the last game Waller really laid into them in his post game remarks, he knew he was'nt coming back. I thought Harry was great and I was worried that he was'nt returning either so later on about 5:30pm I actually got in touch with him in his suite at the Ambassador hotel. I told him I loved the Sox and sure wished that he would stay on and broadcast Sox games for years to come. He told that he appreciated the call and really wanted to come back(which he did).
5 years later in 79 I saw him down by the Sox dugout and got him to take a picture with my wife and son, I asked him if he remembered my call and he said he did which made my day.
Whatever your feelings about him, no one could ever make the dullest game sound like game 7 of the World Series. Holy Cow!

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
Bob Waller, who wound up going to work for ESPN and in one of TV most hilarious moments fell asleep on the set of SportsCenter DURING the broadcast... his on air partner that night had to nudge him awake to read his next story (I have the video) laid into Chuck Tanner on the pre game show the final day of the 1974 season.

Bob blistered Chuck, throwing back all of Tanner's comments during the year about how talented the Sox were, how they played the game right and so forth. basically demanding to know why if they were so great, they didn't even have a winning year.

Tanner got so pissed off, he walked away during the middle of the interview (remember this was live) and Waller finished it himself, basically asking the questions and giving his own answers to them.

Lip

white sox bill
09-17-2008, 05:29 PM
One poster said almost same thing I did when I heard he jumped ship: He's a better fit in that circus on the North side.

Can't say I miss his drunken stupors--"theres a long fly ball, it could be, ohhhh caught by Sandberry on the edge !"(of the infield Harry, not the warning track, and its Sandberg, not Sandberry)

Ever hear him butcher "Andris Gal-aragerous" after 8 Buds? LOL!

Medford Bobby
09-17-2008, 05:35 PM
T-Dog:

Lip

Plus the highest consumption of Falstaff beer was during those years too!:gulp:

Noneck
09-17-2008, 05:54 PM
One poster said almost same thing I did when I heard he jumped ship: He's a better fit in that circus on the North side.

Can't say I miss his drunken stupors--"theres a long fly ball, it could be, ohhhh caught by Sandberry on the edge !"(of the infield Harry, not the warning track, and its Sandberg, not Sandberry)

Ever hear him butcher "Andris Gal-aragerous" after 8 Buds? LOL!

I don't remember him doing that with the Sox.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 08:56 PM
I don't remember him doing that with the Sox.He mostly got drunk on the days he did the game from the center field bleachers.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 09:53 PM
Bill:

After that first stroke he was never the same. Half the time he didn't even know what ballpark he was in.

Lip

Noneck
09-17-2008, 10:33 PM
He mostly got drunk on the days he did the game from the center field bleachers.

But never made those ridiculous calls even from the Sox bleachers. Those calls with the cubs could have been because of illness also. I really didn't listen to Harry after the Sox so I have no idea when he made calls like this for the cubs.

Frontman
09-17-2008, 10:52 PM
You're right. I hear him all the time on the radio with Johnny B. He was on there today talking about Zambozo's no hitter.

Where are they hiding him????

Duh, the same place Marylin and Elvis are hanging out.

Seriously, who cares what a guy WHO DIED what? TEN YEARS AGO said about the Sox?

I'll always appreciate Harry's part of the history of the Chicago White Sox; and the man he was at the end wasn't the same guy.

Mod edit: DO NOT introduce politics, no matter how "innocent" you might think it is. Political part removed.

Princess Dye
09-18-2008, 11:06 AM
Didn't Harry say at one point when asked why he left the Sox," I can only work for a honest man." I seem to remember that but never hear mention of it.

Harry not planning on working for anyone, then, i take it.

johnr1note
09-18-2008, 01:27 PM
What amazes me is how Harry Caray was transformed in the eyes of Cubs fans from a clueless, incoherent drunken slob to a crusty but wise grandfather-type simply by changing broadcast booths.

TDog
09-18-2008, 02:09 PM
What amazes me is how Harry Caray was transformed in the eyes of Cubs fans from a clueless, incoherent drunken slob to a crusty but wise grandfather-type simply by changing broadcast booths.

I recall that the Tribune did a poll when Harry Caray changed employers. I don't know if it was a call-in thing, this being before the Internet transformed popular polls into a joke. Cubs fans were quite irate, according to what I was reading in Arizona. At the time, I think, 80 percent of Sox fans responding said they would become Cubs fans because Harry Caray was going to the Cubs. Only 50 percent of Cubs fans said they would become Sox fans because of the change. Obviously, it didn't work out that way. The Sox drew more fans after they lost Harry Caray, and for a few years, until the myth about about Cubs popularity was born, they drew more fans than the Cubs.

I always thought that when Harry Caray said he could only work for an honest man, he was precluding self-employment.

TommyJohn
09-18-2008, 07:03 PM
At the time, I think, 80 percent of Sox fans responding said they would become Cubs fans because Harry Caray was going to the Cubs.

Were these the same idiots who wanted the Sox to move to Florida in 1988 because we would be rid of Einhorn and Reinsdorf?

TornLabrum
09-18-2008, 08:25 PM
Bob Waller, who wound up going to work for ESPN and in one of TV most hilarious moments fell asleep on the set of SportsCenter DURING the broadcast... his on air partner that night had to nudge him awake to read his next story (I have the video) laid into Chuck Tanner on the pre game show the final day of the 1974 season.

Bob blistered Chuck, throwing back all of Tanner's comments during the year about how talented the Sox were, how they played the game right and so forth. basically demanding to know why if they were so great, they didn't even have a winning year.

Tanner got so pissed off, he walked away during the middle of the interview (remember this was live) and Waller finished it himself, basically asking the questions and giving his own answers to them.

Lip

I well remember Waller's postgame diatribe that day. I don't think it had been announced whether he was coming back or not. However, the minute he opened his mouth, I knew he wouldn't be. Harry Caray was known for his slicing and dicing of the players and Chuck Tanner. Waller that afternoon made Harry look like a rank amateur.

soxpride724
09-18-2008, 09:05 PM
Harry not planning on working for anyone, then, i take it.

Nice screen name.