PDA

View Full Version : Is it just me or are the Sox the only team that plays their call-ups?

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 01:16 PM
I have the mlb package at home and watch tons of games. I watch bad teams and I watch playoff teams. The bad teams play a ton of their september call-ups and the good teams don't because they are in a playoff race. Last time I checked the Sox are winning their division by 1 1/2 games, but yet I see call-ups playing.

Am I the only one with a problem with this or do others feel my pain. I mean we are playing close games it seems every game, but I still have to see Wasserman, Logan, Broadway, Owens, etc.

They are call-ups for a reason. They should only be used when we are blowing a team out or getting blown out. I really can't stand seeing these players. They simply do not belong on a major league baseball field.

Its simple...play the guys that have put us in the position to make the playoffs and don't let the minor leaguers have a chance to blow this thing for them. If we play our regulars and don't make the playoffs, then atleast as a fan I can say we went for it and put our best on the field day in and day out. As of now I just can't say that.

SoxGirl4Life
09-16-2008, 01:17 PM
I have the mlb package at home and watch tons of games. I watch bad teams and I watch playoff teams. The bad teams play a ton of their september call-ups and the good teams don't because they are in a playoff race. Last time I checked the Sox are winning their division by 1 1/2 games, but yet I see call-ups playing.

Am I the only one with a problem with this or do others feel my pain. I mean we are playing close games it seems every game, but I still have to see Wasserman, Logan, Broadway, Owens, etc.

They are call-ups for a reason. They should only be used when we are blowing a team out or getting blown out. I really can't stand seeing these players. They simply do not belong on a major league baseball field.

Its simple...play the guys that have put us in the position to make the playoffs and don't let the minor leaguers have a chance to blow this thing for them. If we play our regulars and don't make the playoffs, then atleast as a fan I can say we went for it and put our best on the field day in and day out. As of now I just can't say that.

The guys that have put us in playoff position are hurt.

You can't take four guys off the roster and expect anything different.

delben91
09-16-2008, 01:19 PM

Yes. Contreras should pitch through his ruptured achilles. Quentin should swing one handed, or hell, with both hands, broken bone in his wrist be damned.

Linebrink should've pitched through his tendenitis in his rotator cuff too. And don't get me started on Crede.

Screw these guys and their "injuries."

esbrechtel
09-16-2008, 01:20 PM
I guess this doesn't apply to the Yanks but they started a lot of callups last night....

The Cubs have been playing Hoffpaur and there are some other teams playing their callups...

I'm not a huge Owens fan but he has been playing pretty well as of late as far as the bullpen I really think that Wasserman could be something if he had a bit more confidence and better control. He always gets guys 0-2 and just nibbles at the corners its so annoying

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
The Yanks are out of the playoffs for the most part and I would pretty much say the Cubs are a lock to make the playoffs/. We are still fighting for the playoffs, so its a totally different situation.

jabrch
09-16-2008, 01:27 PM
How many teams have recent lost their starting LF, starting 1B, and have older RF/DH who require a bit of rest if they are going to be 100%? How many have lost a SP, and have had issues with their RP also?

If these injuries happened in may, the September callups would have been May callups - and they'd have played.

SoxGirl4Life
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
The Yanks are out of the playoffs for the most part and I would pretty much say the Cubs are a lock to make the playoffs/. We are still fighting for the playoffs, so its a totally different situation.

What would the Cubs do without Soriano (power hitting LF), Ramirez (power hitting 3b), Lee (slumping 1b) and Lilly (#3 starter).

Your argument is not congruent with the Sox situation.

delben91
09-16-2008, 01:29 PM
How many teams have recent lost their starting LF, starting 1B, and have older RF/DH who require a bit of rest if they are going to be 100%? How many have lost a SP, and have had issues with their RP also?

If these injuries happened in may, the September callups would have been May callups - and they'd have played.

I don't believe anyone was speaking to you. :tsk:

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 01:40 PM
What would the Cubs do without Soriano (power hitting LF), Ramirez (power hitting 3b), Lee (slumping 1b) and Lilly (#3 starter).

Your argument is not congruent with the Sox situation.

First off u can't compare Crede to Ramirez. They arent even close to the same players. Uribe has been fine at 3rd to replace Crede. Konerko should be back soon and get Swisher the hell out of there. We have been without Contreras for awhile, and didnt do anything to try to replace him. So we were stuck there. Yea losing TCQ was a huge blow, but we do have some OF depth. Nobody will replace his production.

When Paulie comes back, the only people that should play for the last 2 weeks are:

C AJ
1B PK
2B Alexei
SS O Cab
3B Uribe
LF Griffey
CF BA/Wise
RF JD
DH Thome

Swisher can pinch hit and Owens can pinch run.

The rotation should be a 4 man rotation and the only guys we should see from the bullpen are Carrasco, McDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, (with no runners on) and Jenks.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
First off u can't compare Crede to Ramirez. They arent even close to the same players. Uribe has been fine at 3rd to replace Crede. Konerko should be back soon and get Swisher the hell out of there. We have been without Contreras for awhile, and didnt do anything to try to replace him. So we were stuck there. Yea losing TCQ was a huge blow, but we do have some OF depth. Nobody will replace his production.

When Paulie comes back, the only people that should play for the last 2 weeks are:

C AJ
1B PK
2B Alexei
SS O Cab
3B Uribe
LF Griffey
CF BA/Wise
RF JD
DH Thome

The rotation should be a 4 man rotation and the only guys we should see from the bullpen are Carrasco, McDougal, Thornton, Linebrink, Dotel, (with no runners on) and Jenks.

Keep dreaming...

This isn't a video game where every player can play 9 innings everyday and not need a break.

FWIW, Ozzie hasn't been doing a great job with the bullpen but on the other hand, there really aren't many guys that he can rely on right now. Especially when a few of them aren't available because they just played a double-header the day before.

jcw218
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM

C AJ
1B PK
2B Alexei
SS O Cab
3B Uribe
LF Griffey
CF BA/Wise
RF JD
DH Thome

Contreras went down after the non waiver trading deadline had passed. Any deal the Sox would have made the players would have to clear waivers to get traded. Who's to say that the Sox did not try to replace Contreras and the trade was blocked? And for your information, MacDougal was a Sept Call-up.

Chicken Dinner
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
Yes, too much play time for the call-ups, especially Logan and Wassermann and Owens should do nothing but pinch run.

CHISOXFAN13
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM
The Twins have played the exact starting lineup, with the exception of resting Mauer once in a while, for the past month.

What good has it done them?

This thread sucks. A lot of that going on around here.

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Keep dreaming...

This isn't a video game where every player can play 9 innings everyday and not need a break.

FWIW, Ozzie hasn't been doing a great job with the bullpen but on the other hand, there really aren't many guys that he can rely on right now. Especially when a few of them aren't available because they just played a double-header the day before.

They can play everyday from here on out. There are only 13 games left with an offday on Monday. If they don't want to be in the line-up everyday during a playoff push then they are not real ball players anyway.

asindc
09-16-2008, 01:54 PM
Yes, it's just you.

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
Contreras went down after the non waiver trading deadline had passed. Any deal the Sox would have made the players would have to clear waivers to get traded. Who's to say that the Sox did not try to replace Contreras and the trade was blocked? And for your information, MacDougal was a Sept Call-up.

Thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff I already knew. I'm just saying the Red Sox got a Paul Byrd after the deadline. He hasnt been that great, but he gives u a better chance then Richard. I know McDougal was a call-up, but he really hasn't been that bad. I guess I should have changed the name of the thread to "stop playing call-ups that simply suck at baseball" Would that have been better?

jabrch
09-16-2008, 01:55 PM
They can play everyday from here on out. There are only 13 games left with an offday on Monday. If they don't want to be in the line-up everyday during a playoff push then they are not real ball players anyway.

Oh really...

kittle42
09-16-2008, 02:00 PM
This much I will agree with:

Jerry Owens should never do anything but pinch run.

Ehren Wasserman and Boone Logan should not have even been called up, and should only play if we reach garbage time.

As for the rest of the collection of bullpen stiffs, Guillen has no choice but to keep trotting them out there.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
Thanks for telling me a bunch of stuff I already knew. I'm just saying the Red Sox got a Paul Byrd after the deadline. He hasnt been that great, but he gives u a better chance then Richard. I know McDougal was a call-up, but he really hasn't been that bad. I guess I should have changed the name of the thread to "stop playing call-ups that simply suck at baseball" Would that have been better?

Stop playing players that suck at baseball would be better.

Although with the way some of the guys have been playing lately, they wouldn't be able to field a full team...

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
And for your information, MacDougal was a Sept Call-up.

Wise was too I believe.

soxfandy
09-16-2008, 02:02 PM
Stop playing players that suck at baseball would be better.

Although with the way some of the guys have been playing lately, they wouldn't be able to field a full team...

HAHA....now that I can definately agree with.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 02:07 PM
This much I will agree with:

Jerry Owens should never do anything but pinch run.

Ehren Wasserman and Boone Logan should not have even been called up, and should only play if we reach garbage time.

As for the rest of the collection of bullpen stiffs, Guillen has no choice but to keep trotting them out there.

I agree. :gulp:

jcw218
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
Wise was too I believe.

Wise was placed on the DL on August 25 retroactive to August 21 I believe. He was activated after the rosters expanded on Sept 1.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Supposedly the Sox wanted to get the pitcher from Seattle but the Twins blocked the move.

Lip

jabrch
09-16-2008, 02:13 PM
Supposedly the Sox wanted to get the pitcher from Seattle but the Twins blocked the move.

Lip

I don't think we will know the truth - but KW denied having interest in Washburn.

It's too bad Jose didn't go down 1 week or so sooner. Williams may have had to make a move before the deadline. That said, despite all of this, we are still 1.5 games up. For all his failures, KW has this team postured in a spot where we control our own destiny with a few weeks left to go.

I can think of about 25 teams in worse positions.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I don't think we will know the truth - but KW denied having interest in Washburn.

It's too bad Jose didn't go down 1 week or so sooner. Williams may have had to make a move before the deadline. That said, despite all of this, we are still 1.5 games up. For all his failures, KW has this team postured in a spot where we control our own destiny with a few weeks left to go.

I can think of about 25 teams in worse positions.

And I can think of more than 5 teams that are in better positions.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 02:21 PM
And I can think of more than 5 teams that are in better positions.

Tampa Bay
Boston
Cubs
Angels
Dodgers

Everyone else is fighting for a playoff spot and doesn't have the luxury of the WC to fall back on.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Tampa Bay
Boston
Cubs
Angels
Dodgers

Everyone else is fighting for a playoff spot and doesn't have the luxury of the WC to fall back on.

You're correct, I used a wrong choice of words. Here.....

I can find more than 5 teams that are not in a worse position.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
You're correct, I used a wrong choice of words. Here.....

I can find more than 5 teams that are not in a worse position.

Either way, I still like our position much better than the Twins, Yankees or even the Brewers or Phillies.

The Sox win, they're in. Simple as that.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 02:59 PM
Either way, I still like our position much better than the Twins, Yankees or even the Brewers or Phillies.

The Sox win, they're in. Simple as that.That's why the loss column is the more important. As long as you're ahead in the loss column, you control your own destiny.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 03:02 PM
That's why the loss column is the more important. As long as you're ahead in the loss column, you control your own destiny.

Or you still have a 3-game series at home against the team you are currently trailing by less than three games. :(:

JB98
09-16-2008, 05:50 PM
I just don't like the way Ozzie is using the bullpen right now. We got to this point with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel and Thornton as our main relievers. I think Ozzie needs to continue to ride those guys. They'll either get us across the finish line, or they won't.

If we lose with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel or Thornton on the mound, then that's how it goes. I just don't deal well with Wassermann, Ramirez, Logan and Carrasco losing us games at this stage of the season. None of them have earned the right to pitch in big situations.

Tragg
09-16-2008, 06:05 PM
I just don't like the way Ozzie is using the bullpen right now. We got to this point with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel and Thornton as our main relievers. I think Ozzie needs to continue to ride those guys. They'll either get us across the finish line, or they won't.

If we lose with Jenks, Linebrink, Dotel or Thornton on the mound, then that's how it goes. I just don't deal well with Wassermann, Ramirez, Logan and Carrasco losing us games at this stage of the season. None of them have earned the right to pitch in big situations.
I'd probably have to add Carrasco to the top list based on overall performance; but we may have gotten all we possibly can out of him.

JB98
09-16-2008, 06:51 PM
I'd probably have to add Carrasco to the top list based on overall performance; but we may have gotten all we possibly can out of him.

I think we have. Carrasco is a journeyman. He gave us some nice help while Linebrink was down. But I don't think the Sox can push their luck with him any longer.

gr8mexico
09-16-2008, 07:27 PM
The Twins have played the exact starting lineup, with the exception of resting Mauer once in a while, for the past month.

What good has it done them?

This thread sucks. A lot of that going on around here.
Yup the Twins players are only getting tired they have to many rookies . There going to lose today and tomorrow when they face Cliff Lee. The Sox need the fresh bodies out there.To make a final push for the end of the year and playoffs. The Sox are going to be up by 4 game by the end of the weekend so I'm not worried.

ajismyhero
09-17-2008, 07:06 AM

Unfortunately with the lack of 5th real starter, and the fact that Floydd and Danks are young means that there are often times when the relievers have to come in and pitch more innings (i.e. 2 doubleheaders last week). Nevermind the fact that Dotel gave up a grandslam, and Jenks has been shaky lately. So what choice does Ozzie have? He has to pitch someone.

oeo
09-17-2008, 08:13 AM
I think we have. Carrasco is a journeyman. He gave us some nice help while Linebrink was down. But I don't think the Sox can push their luck with him any longer.

I disagree. He's looked shaky lately, but it's not like he's been throwing junk up there and getting lucky (i.e., Horacio Ramirez). His stuff is, overall, pretty good.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 08:49 AM
Unfortunately with the lack of 5th real starter, and the fact that Floydd and Danks are young means that there are often times when the relievers have to come in and pitch more innings (i.e. 2 doubleheaders last week). Never mind the fact that Dotel gave up a grand slam, and Jenks has been shaky lately. So what choice does Ozzie have? He has to pitch someone.
Agreed that you don't want to tax our arms too much; but, no one can defend his decisions to place Ehren Wasserman or Boone Logan in any tight situation when those two guys have absolutely no confidence in themselves. You let them get over it during the off season and see if they can come back in February when pitchers & catchers report with a strong case for making next year's team.