PDA

View Full Version : Playoff Question

beasly213
09-16-2008, 11:13 AM
Ok so I've been going over potential matchups if the Sox make the playoffs.

So let's say that the Sox win the Central,

The Rays win the east and the Red Sox win the wild card. (Or visa versa)

Then the Angels win the west with the best record in baseball.

Now, if the Sox win the central but the wild card team (Be it the Red Sox or Rays) have a better record than the White Sox will the Sox face the Angels or will the Angels face the wild card team by default?

sox1970
09-16-2008, 11:15 AM
The AL Central winner will play the AL East winner. Period.

The Immigrant
09-16-2008, 11:17 AM
There cannot be a first round match-up between teams from the same division. If those four teams make it we will not play the Angels. If the Angels have the best record in the AL they should play the wild card winner, leaving us to play the AL East winner.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Just as the wild card cannot have home-field advantage, regardless of the respective records, the wild card plays the team with the best record (unless from the same division.)

beasly213
09-16-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks guys :cool:

Now the question becomes, would you rather face the Red Sox or the Rays?

I'd take the Rays any day over the Bosox. I just think we match up better against them.

Plus I don't want to face Dice K in a short series.

LoveYourSuit
09-16-2008, 12:44 PM
Thanks guys :cool:

I'd take the Rays any day over the Bosox. I just think we match up better against them.

Plus I don't want to face Dice K in a short series.

TB.

A sucky bullpen will be a nightmare in a hostile environment which is Fenway.

At TB, the Sox fans have a chanced to pick up 30% of the gate with how bad the Rays draw. At Fenway, we might only have a hot dog vendor cheering for us.

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
I like TB because they have not played too well as of late. Also I like the idea of going up against a team that has very little playoff experience player-wise and none as an organization.

Foulke You
09-16-2008, 12:49 PM
TB.

A sucky bullpen will be a nightmare in a hostile environment which is Fenway.

At TB, the Sox fans have a chanced to pick up 30% of the gate with how bad the Rays draw. At Fenway, we might only have a hot dog vendor cheering for us.
In the AL playoffs, there are no easy teams. All 3 potential opponents are World Series pedigree but I agree with your post. In a short 5 game series, the Rays are a preferable opponent. They are all young with no playoff experience where the Sox have a lot of veterans who have been to October before. Tropicana is also a less imposing October venue than a packed Fenway Park. More importantly, we wouldn't have to beat Daisuke Matsuzaka twice in a 5 game series. The junk ball throwing Dice-K has owned our offense in his two starts this year and I want no part of him in a short 5 game series.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 12:50 PM
If we're going to have to go through the Red Sox, I'd rather play them in a shorter series.

TDog
09-16-2008, 01:05 PM

Now the question becomes, would you rather face the Red Sox or the Rays? ...

If you ask that question of White Sox players or coaches (or players and coaches for any team), you will not get an answer. Teams won't say they would prefer to play other teams because they don't want to inspire bulletin board material, of course. Also, it really doesn't matter.

A lot of fans were excited that the Sox got to play Seattle in 2000. I was among them. I had my postseason tickets. My boss in Wisconsin was cool about baseball and was willing to give me game days off. Seattle beating out the surging Indians the last weekend of the season assured the Sox would face the wild card and have an easier time in the ALDS.

Of course, we were wrong.

We were just as wrong as the Cubs fans who were excited about coming home in the 2003 NLCS up 3-2 with Prior and Wood ready to go. How could they not get to the World Series.

Get to the postseason. Worry about who you face when you're facing them.

jabrch
09-16-2008, 01:51 PM

I'll take either one. Neither will be an easy series - both teams present some challenges. We'd have more fan support on the road in Tampa - but they have a good home field advantage there.

I just hope we make it. That is the next step in the season.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Tampa bay has been crap as of late but they scare me. They are an unknown waiting to prove everyone wrong just like the sox, cardinals, Detroit, and the Rockies. There has been a reoccurence of these types of teams in the post season and each one of them making it a long way. I would much rather play them then the Red Sox but either way it won't be easy.

I like the fact that the sox will be definite underdogs, Ozzie will milk this for everything its worth.... that is IF we make the playoffs.

Jim Shorts
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I do not care to watch Kevin Youkilis bat anymore this year. Dude is annoying in the box.

soxwon
09-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I pray tampa wins the east
We would pick them off, with our experience, tampa is new inexperienced.
Sox in 5
Angels will beat the Red Sox
Then i love us matching up with the Haloes.
We beat them in 05
We will beat them in 08
End Result Wsox in series.
Think about it, its a pretty easy track to the series for us.
I would not want to play boston in the first round.

Brian26
09-16-2008, 07:29 PM
Boston scares me more than TB. I think the Sox match-up well with LAA and TB in a short series.

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-17-2008, 01:43 PM
The easy answer is I'd rather have the Sox face Tampa instead of Boston. But when you look at it, the Sox were only 4-6 against the Rays this year. They took 2 of 3 in Tampa back in April before the Rays were the Rays there are now. Then they lost 3 of 4 in Tampa a month later. Then in August, were nearly swept by the Rays at home.

Rounding_Third
09-17-2008, 01:58 PM
Boston scares me more than TB. I think the Sox match-up well with LAA and TB in a short series.

Don't know about that. IMO, LAA would be the worst team to face in a short series against their top 3 man rotation but they'd probably pitch 4 anyway. I think Boston would be the best choice. Theirs is the worst 3 man of the 3 teams, IMO. Maybe TB but only because of their youth and lack of playoff experience.

FoulTerritory
09-17-2008, 01:59 PM
The easy answer is I'd rather have the Sox face Tampa instead of Boston. But when you look at it, the Sox were only 4-6 against the Rays this year. They took 2 of 3 in Tampa back in April before the Rays were the Rays there are now. Then they lost 3 of 4 in Tampa a month later. Then in August, were nearly swept by the Rays at home.

Yup. I attended all of the games in Tampa. What misery. Those damned cowbells clanging all the time. What does a cowbell have to do with a Ray (sun or devil)?

Seriously, that dome is small, and when there are people there, it is very loud -- like old Chicago stadium loud. And of course, the Sox were freaking horrible (especially in that 2nd series).

I'd prefer the Sox play Tampa just for selfish reasons -- I can go to the games that are in Tampa cause I live here. But I think they match up better the BoSox, and I don't think Fenway is as big of a homefield advantage to the Red Sox as the Trop is to the Rays.

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2008, 02:11 PM
if you ask that question of white sox players or coaches (or players and coaches for any team), you will not get an answer. Teams won't say they would prefer to play other teams because they don't want to inspire bulletin board material, of course. Also, it really doesn't matter.

A lot of fans were excited that the sox got to play seattle in 2000. I was among them. I had my postseason tickets. My boss in wisconsin was cool about baseball and was willing to give me game days off. Seattle beating out the surging indians the last weekend of the season assured the sox would face the wild card and have an easier time in the alds.

Of course, we were wrong.

We were just as wrong as the cubs fans who were excited about coming home in the 2003 nlcs up 3-2 with prior and wood ready to go. How could they not get to the world series.

Get to the postseason. Worry about who you face when you're facing them.

clap

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 02:21 PM
The guys in the office and I decided we want Tampa and not Boston in the ALDS. We will have an easier time with the playoff-inexperienced Rays and the Red Sox don't match up well with the Angels, a team we do match up well against.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 02:27 PM
The guys in the office and I decided we want Tampa and not Boston in the ALDS. We will have an easier time with the playoff-inexperienced Rays and the Red Sox don't match up well with the Angels, a team we do match up well against.
If that were to happen, I could honestly see a 2005 ALCS re-match. This time, we'll be clinching at home. :D:

downstairs
09-17-2008, 05:10 PM
Absolutely would rather have the Rays. Less experience, first playoff series ever, and the Red Sox (I believe) are a better team.

ALCS and NLCS will both be Chicago vs. LA.

How strange would that be: The White Sox will be the closest team to the East Coast. :cool:

btrain929
09-17-2008, 06:00 PM
If we're going to have to go through the Red Sox, I'd rather play them in a shorter series.

Or we can play the Rays and hope that the Angels beat the Red Sox, since we've had decent success against the Angels this year.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 08:28 PM
How strange would that be: The White Sox will be the closest team to the East Coast. :cool:
What do you mean, we ARE on the East Coast. Anything east of Lake Michigan I consider to be barbaric territory.