Thu. 9/18 at NYY- Vazquez (3 days rest)
Fri. 9/19 at KC- Danks
Sat. 9/20 at KC- Buehrle
Sun. 9/21 at KC- Floyd
Tue. 9/23 at Min- Vazquez
Wed. 9/24 at Min- Danks
Thu. 9/25 at Min- Buehrle
Fri. 9/26 vs. Cle- Floyd

This is the big decision right here... do you go on 3 days rest, or give Broadway or Clayton a start in the next to last game? Let's assume the Sox are up on Min. by .5 games at this point.

Sat. 9/27 vs. Cle- Vazquez (3 days rest)
Sun. 9/28 vs. Cle- Danks (3 days rest)
Mon. 9/29 vs. Det- Buehrle (3 days rest) -IF NECESSARY
Tue. 9/30 vs. Min- Floyd (3 days rest) -IF NECESSARY

OR

Sat. 9/27 vs. Cle- Broadway
Sun. 9/28 vs. Cle- Vazquez
Mon. 9/29 vs. Det- Danks- IF NECESSARY
Tue. 9/30 vs. Min- Buehrle- IF NECESSARY

Thoughts? Also, it looks likely that Cliff Lee will get the start against the Sox on Sun. 9/28.

cws05champ
09-16-2008, 08:33 AM
You absolutely have to go with your best pitcher on 3 days rest. If you are in a tight race you have to have everyone ready to go.

Mohoney
09-16-2008, 08:33 AM
I would go with the 3 days rest plan. Gavin Floyd owns the Twins.

PushinWeight
09-16-2008, 11:15 AM
I really hope that the Detroit and Minnesota games don't take place so that we can prepare for the ALDS instead. How disastrous would that be for our pitching staff for a playoff run if that is how we have to get in. I guess it would be better than not getting in at all though...

kevingrt
09-16-2008, 11:53 AM
I see no way Broadway or Richard pitch in the final series of the season if we are in a tight race. Maybe if we have a two game lead going into the series versus Cleveland you could use one of them in the first game of the series but still that is extremely scary.

hawkjt
09-16-2008, 03:01 PM
Cleveland is going to be extremely dangerous in that last series...the rookie that shut down the twins last nite also beat the angels in his first start and will be starting friday nite vs the sox in that last series.
Lee will be scheduled to pitch on that Sunday game.
Sox will have to fight hard to win that series.

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 03:05 PM
I would go on three days rest with some of those guys and retool our stuff for the beginning of the ALDS to get our best for the beginning games. Always keep the best of the best for a deciding game 5 or 7.

whitesox901
09-16-2008, 03:25 PM
this is the big decision right here... Do you go on 3 days rest, or give broadway or clayton a start in the next to last game? let's assume the sox are up on min. By .5 games at this point.

noooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!

btrain929
09-16-2008, 04:34 PM
Cleveland is going to be extremely dangerous in that last series...the rookie that shut down the twins last nite also beat the angels in his first start and will be starting friday nite vs the sox in that last series.

This depends on the division lead of course, but if Lee pitched Fri or Sat of that serious, I'd consider throwing a rookie if we concede we'll probably lose that game. But if he pitches Sunday, we obviously have to throw one of our best if a win is needed.

Foulke You
09-16-2008, 05:46 PM
The good news is that those games against the Tribe will be at home where the Sox hit and pitch much better than they do on the road. 150 of our 200+ HRs this year have come at home.

sox1970
09-16-2008, 11:06 PM
9/17 Richard- Hughes (Danks in the pen)
9/18 Vazquez- Mussina
---------------------------------------
9/19 Buehrle-Bannister
9/20 Floyd-Davies
9/21 Danks-Duckworth
9/23 Vazquez-Baker
9/24 Buehrle-Perkins
9/25 Floyd-Blackburn (or Slowey)
9/26 Danks-Lewis
9/27 Vazquez-Jackson
9/28 Buehrle-Lee

hawkjt
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
We face some quality starters down the stretch in mussina,baker,slowey,perkins, lewis and lee.

11 games...we must win at least 6 to get there I think.
What a race.

voodoochile
09-17-2008, 11:01 AM
Well, both the Sox ESPN and MLB sites show Richard as tonight's starter. That has changed since yesterday.

In addition, the Sox official site does indeed show Vazquez (TH), Buehrle (FR) and Floyd (SA) pitching on short rest with Danks bumped back to Sunday.

Not entirely sure I agree with this move. I'd have pitched Vazquez short then let Danks have Friday and the rest flow naturally, but I guess like Sox1970 said, this is about setting up to maximize starts for the best pitchers over the final games. I just hope we don't burn out the arms before the post season hits or cause them to pitch poorly by altering their routine.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/probable_pitchers.jsp?c_id=cws

SoxandtheCityTee
09-17-2008, 12:47 PM
Well, both the Sox ESPN and MLB sites show Richard as tonight's starter. That has changed since yesterday.

In addition, the Sox official site does indeed show Vazquez (TH), Buehrle (FR) and Floyd (SA) pitching on short rest with Danks bumped back to Sunday.

Not entirely sure I agree with this move. I'd have pitched Vazquez short then let Danks have Friday and the rest flow naturally, but I guess like Sox1970 said, this is about setting up to maximize starts for the best pitchers over the final games. I just hope we don't burn out the arms before the post season hits or cause them to pitch poorly by altering their routine.

It's really the same as when the four-man rotation was announced, but with the last start by a fifth starter moved in effect from 9/14 (Broadway was supposed to start that Sunday night game) to tonight because of the rainouts. As was pointed out before Ike arrived, it was going to be Burls, Floyd, Danks and Vazquez starting 9/15 and for the duration, which meant some short rest starts but -- crucially, I thought -- Javy, Mark and Gavin, in that order and all on full rest, at MIN.

This preserves that. Danks was pushed back two days by the 9/12 PPD (to the 9/14 DH), but Javy only one, which turned out to be four days' rest for him anyway as he'd been pushed back to 9/9 by the 9/8 rainout at home vs. TOR. Obviously we're not throwing Danks out there tonight and Javy pitched on Sunday, too -- two days' rest is awfully short and, I think, poses more of a risk in the big picture than just sucking it up with the fifth starter, as we were going to have to do once more anyway.

At least this one is not on national TV, and the Twinkies are facing Lee today.:D:

Remains to be seen how the other new factors (Game 162, tiebreaker) are dealt with if needed, but until we clinch staying the course works for me.

oeo
09-17-2008, 12:59 PM

CSN said this last night...ESPN just had it wrong.

In addition, the Sox official site does indeed show Vazquez (TH), Buehrle (FR) and Floyd (SA) pitching on short rest with Danks bumped back to Sunday.The probables on the official site are usually just guesses (from who knows). I wouldn't trust it as being 100% correct.

voodoochile
09-17-2008, 01:01 PM
It's really the same as when the four-man rotation was announced, but with the last start by a fifth starter moved in effect from 9/14 (Broadway was supposed to start that Sunday night game) to tonight because of the rainouts. As was pointed out before Ike arrived, it was going to be Burls, Floyd, Danks and Vazquez starting 9/15 and for the duration, which meant some short rest starts but -- crucially, I thought -- Javy, Mark and Gavin, in that order and all on full rest, at MIN.

This preserves that. Danks was pushed back two days by the 9/12 PPD (to the 9/14 DH), but Javy only one, which turned out to be four days' rest for him anyway as he'd been pushed back to 9/9 by the 9/8 rainout at home vs. TOR. Obviously we're not throwing Danks out there tonight and Javy pitched on Sunday, too -- two days' rest is awfully short and, I think, poses more of a risk in the big picture than just sucking it up with the fifth starter, as we were going to have to do once more anyway.

At least this one is not on national TV, and the Twinkies are facing Lee today.:D:

Remains to be seen how the other new factors (Game 162, tiebreaker) are dealt with if needed, but until we clinch staying the course works for me.

I understand all of that, but they could mostly keep a 5 man rotation until the final two games because of the off day Monday. The lone exception would be Vazquez on thursday.

Vazquez 9/18 (3 days rest)
Danks 9/19 (4 days rest)
Buehrle 9/20 (4 days rest)
Floyd 9/21 (4 days rest)
9/22 - off day
Vazquez 9/23 (4 days rest)
Danks 9/24 (4 days rest)
Buehrle 9/25 (4 days rest) (final game of the twinkie series)
Floyd 9/26 (4 days rest)

figure out the final two games...

I'd personally prefer to keep things like that because I expect the Sox to come home with a MN in the very low single digits or having already clinched and they could then use Broadway and Richard to set up the playoff rotation.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, so I understand OG wanting to get the most starts he can for his stud pitchers, but I just hope he doesn't burn them out while doing so...

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 02:30 PM

I think they also are concerned about Danks developing a dead arm down the stretch, thus the reason for moving him back.

Iwritecode
09-17-2008, 03:39 PM
I understand all of that, but they could mostly keep a 5 man rotation until the final two games because of the off day Monday. The lone exception would be Vazquez on thursday.

Vazquez 9/18 (3 days rest)
Danks 9/19 (4 days rest)
Buehrle 9/20 (4 days rest)
Floyd 9/21 (4 days rest)
9/22 - off day
Vazquez 9/23 (4 days rest)
Danks 9/24 (4 days rest)
Buehrle 9/25 (4 days rest) (final game of the twinkie series)
Floyd 9/26 (4 days rest)

figure out the final two games...

I'd personally prefer to keep things like that because I expect the Sox to come home with a MN in the very low single digits or having already clinched and they could then use Broadway and Richard to set up the playoff rotation.

Of course nothing is guaranteed, so I understand OG wanting to get the most starts he can for his stud pitchers, but I just hope he doesn't burn them out while doing so...

I agree with that rotation. In fact, that's exactly how I thought they would go.

I'm guessing the point of the rotation juggling is to get the starters lined up for the series vs. Minnesota. It'll be Vasquez/Buehrle/Floyd instead of Vasquez/Danks/Buehrle. Floyd has been a little bit better than Danks against the Twins in his career.

Paulwny
09-17-2008, 03:44 PM

Agree, Oz is throwing the dice, since it now appears he has little faith in the pen, as long as starters are getting batters out they'll be throwing 110+ pitches. Going with short rest and and 110+ pitches may cause burn out.
I'm not a believer in pitch count, but when you toss in short rest and extended innings, it may take it's toll.