PDA

View Full Version : Dave Van Dyke shows his "Class" Again

Domeshot17
09-15-2008, 11:12 PM
Don't know if anyone caught this, but on Chicago Tribune Live they were talking about the No Hitter. Plesac was on his game as usual, still drinking the kool aid but atleast he had a clue. Then Dave Van Dyke shot off this little nugget about how (very condescending) he feels "bad" for the people in the hurricane but the Cubs really needed this 2 day rest so its a good thing and it all worked out because Derek Lee got to go spend 2 days with his family.

He may not have meant it this way, but wow what a piece of crap. Who cares if a ton of people died who cares if the stros spent those 2 days worrying about their city and their fans and their own families. THE CUBBY BLUE GOT 2 DAYS OFF SO THE WORLD IS RIGHT.

I don't think it bothers me so much that its even the Cubs, I would have felt the same if the statement he made was for the Cardinals or Nationals or anyone really, but this guy just sucks at life.

oeo
09-15-2008, 11:44 PM
Your first mistake was turning on that show. It's gone to the ****ter since Kaplan took over.

Domeshot17
09-15-2008, 11:57 PM
Your first mistake was turning on that show. It's gone to the ****ter since Kaplan took over.

Agreed, I haven't watched but a few times since Jiggetts left not sure what made me watch today, turned it off after that, remembered why I don't watch it.

EuroSox35
09-16-2008, 01:32 AM
I heard that, it sounded pretty bad, something like 'thank God a hurricane came', then he caught himself and mentioned (except for the effect on the people).

Someone else was the host. I watch because I really can't find anything on at 5:30

SoxandtheCityTee
09-16-2008, 09:31 AM
I don't watch that show. But scathing criticisms of MLB for forcing the Houston players to fly away from families still facing the effects of the disaster -- some couldn't even reach home while they were gone (no cell service, no land lines, no power) to see how things were -- are all over the media and are not going away soon. The Astros' owner responds to criticism of his reluctance to agree move the series earlier by asking whether he was supposed to order his players to get on a plane before the hurricane hit, and just wait and see what happened to their houses? The location of the "neutral" site may be (indirectly) his fault, but the timing -- refusing to schedule as many of these games as turn out to be necessary at the end, using up one of the off days built into the playoffs in the unlikely event that all three games had to be played -- lies with MLB and its inability to stand up to its TV partners for its players.

Well, some players. Kruk nearly had a fit last night on BBTN, railing that if it had been the Yankees or Red Sox whose families were affected, MLB would never have done this to them. For someone on that network to make this comment is fairly remarkable.

Whether or not he is right, people who know the game know that teams as hot as Houston was do cool off, but generally (barring injury) not as utterly and suddenly as to get a total of one hit in two successive games.

Zambozo's no hitter, and possibly the Cubbies' post-season DVD, will have this shadow forever. But Van Dyke and others will soon realize their mistake and stop talking about it.

SOXPHILE
09-16-2008, 09:40 AM
Far be it from me to take away or try to diminish anything the Cubs do or accomplish, but I really don't think the Astros gave a damn about these two games. I cannot recall the last time I ever saw a team so flat, and lackadaisical. With all that's been going on the last week, who can blame them ? Hey, congrats to the #38 Jackass on the no hitter, but I wouldn't put these last two performances as indicators that the Cubs are playing better now.

Iwritecode
09-16-2008, 11:04 AM
Well, some players. Kruk nearly had a fit last night on BBTN, railing that if it had been the Yankees or Red Sox whose families were affected, MLB would never have done this to them. For someone on that network to make this comment is fairly remarkable.

Whether or not he is right, people who know the game know that teams as hot as Houston was do cool off, but generally (barring injury) not as utterly and suddenly as to get a total of one hit in two successive games.

I saw that last night and thought he was absolutely dead on.

BainesHOF
09-17-2008, 02:38 AM
Kaplan has turned the show into WGN-like dreck.

soxpride724
09-17-2008, 01:44 PM
I hate that show with a passion, the only guy I can tolerate on that show is David Haugh.

Dub25
09-20-2008, 12:17 AM

I agree. Plus, I thought this channel was a joint venture with the Cubs, Sox, Bears, and Bulls. However , there is a show called Chicago Tribune Live which is really a Cub Lovefest Show.