PDA

View Full Version : Broadway could start Wednesday

thomas35forever
09-15-2008, 09:16 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080915&content_id=3483326&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

oeo
09-15-2008, 09:17 PM
Yay.

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 09:18 PM
Is this a good or bad thing?

oeo
09-15-2008, 09:19 PM
Is this a good or bad thing?

Are they playing the Royals?

Then it's a bad thing.

JB98
09-15-2008, 09:23 PM
Well, somebody has to pitch Wednesday, and it won't be one of the big four. Unless you want to bring back Vazquez or Danks on two days rest.

oeo
09-15-2008, 09:25 PM
Well, somebody has to pitch Wednesday, and it won't be one of the big four. Unless you want to bring back Vazquez or Danks on two days rest.

I'd rather it be Richard. At least he'll give us a few innings before he gets lit up like a Christmas tree.

JB98
09-15-2008, 09:29 PM
I'd rather it be Richard. At least he'll give us a few innings before he gets lit up like a Christmas tree.

I agree.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 09:30 PM
It looks like they're putting him in the bullpen. I saw Richard warming up tonight in the 8th inning.

veeter
09-15-2008, 09:32 PM
If Lance starts, we win that game.

PaleHoser
09-15-2008, 10:05 PM
I vote D.J. Carrasco to start. With 16 rostered pitchers we can trot out a new pitcher every inning. We haven't had much luck with rookie starting pitchers at Yankee Stadium in pennant races. Just ask Jerry Manuel.

WhiteSoxBlog
09-15-2008, 10:06 PM
I vote D.J. Carrasco to start. With 16 rostered pitchers we can trot out a new pitcher every inning. We haven't had much luck with rookie starting pitchers at Yankee Stadium in pennant races. Just ask Jerry Manuel.
Well, right now Carrasco isn't a great option. He might've been when the issue first came up, but he's been having some serious issues as of late.

hawkjt
09-15-2008, 10:19 PM
As Melton said tonite, a new pitcher has the advantage over the hitters..so why would that not hold for Broadway?

I know, I know....the sox are not going to be opposing him and really it is the sox who cannot hit my mother if it is the first time facing her.

Mohoney
09-16-2008, 07:22 AM
Are they playing the Royals?

Then it's a bad thing.

He gave up 2 runs in the 1st inning against them, but after that posted 4 and 1/3 scoreless. How is that bad?

He's made the best out of 2 career starts, and yet a lot of people here think he's crap. I don't get it at all.

oeo
09-16-2008, 07:24 AM
He gave up 2 runs in the 1st inning against them, but after that posted 4 and 1/3 scoreless. How is that bad?

He's made the best out of 2 career starts, and yet a lot of people here think he's crap. I don't get it at all.

Would he be facing the Royals Wednesday? Nope, and that's why it's bad...

His only success has come against the Royals. Everyone else has been lighting him up.

cws05champ
09-16-2008, 07:29 AM
Who better to start in NYC than Broadway!!!

Seriously, I think you have to use Richard and have Broadway or Carrasco ready to go 3-4 IP in relief.

Mohoney
09-16-2008, 07:30 AM
Would he be facing the Royals Wednesday? Nope, and that's why it's bad...

His only success has come against the Royals. Everyone else has been lighting him up.

His only starts have come against the Royals. That's not his fault.

oeo
09-16-2008, 10:53 PM
His only starts have come against the Royals. That's not his fault.

Well, until he proves he can get some guys out on other teams, I'm going to assume the Royals are helping him out.

All moot, Richard is starting tomorrow.

ajismyhero
09-16-2008, 11:07 PM
Come on guys, Broadway shows in NYC are the best! (ok, fine, worst joke ever)

Rdy2PlayBall
09-16-2008, 11:10 PM
His start wasn't bad at all. The only thing he has done bad was bullpen pitching. It's a whole different game when you don't start and have a gameplan. He might do good, didn't he only give up like 2 runs last game? :redneck

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
This kinda reminds me (in a terrible way) of a young Neal Cotts that was called on to start a game at Yankee Stadium in September 2003 while the Sox were in a division race with Minnesota.

doublem23
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM
This kinda reminds me (in a terrible way) of a young Neal Cotts that was called on to start a game at Yankee Stadium in September 2003 while the Sox were in a division race with Minnesota.

Except that Cotts got the start over Buehrle because JM didn't want to mess with his precious rotation, whereas Broadway is starting because Ozzie's hand is forced.

That, and in 2003, the Yankees were actually intimidating.

JB98
09-17-2008, 12:44 PM

This doesn't remind me of that at all. Starting Cotts was a horrible choice by Manuel. Buehrle was rested and ready to go, and he inexplicably chose Cotts.

Ozzie doesn't have any choice in this scenario. We had a doubleheader Sunday. The club played four games in about 72 hours, and our main four starters pitched those games. We're out of pitching, and we need a spot starter.

Clayton Richard is the logical choice tonight. Whether Richard succeeds or fails, Ozzie is doing what he has to do. Even if Richard screws the pooch, I will defend Ozzie's decision. That decision by Manuel in 2003 was indefensible.

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 01:38 PM
This is why I was mad at how the opening game was handled, with Buehrle being pulled and a AAA bullpen effort. I hope we can pull through tonight, because I'd hate to throw away more than 1 game in a big series.

We've pissed away way too many games this season, I still don't think it will hurt us in making the playoffs, we should be WAY past that by now though, it should be a sure thing, and we should really be MUCH closer to battling for home field in the ALDS. Now there's 0 chance of that, and as we've seen this season (especially if we're going into a dome), Home field Is HUGE

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 02:08 PM
This doesn't remind me of that at all. Starting Cotts was a horrible choice by Manuel. Buehrle was rested and ready to go, and he inexplicably chose Cotts.

Ozzie doesn't have any choice in this scenario. We had a doubleheader Sunday. The club played four games in about 72 hours, and our main four starters pitched those games. We're out of pitching, and we need a spot starter.

Clayton Richard is the logical choice tonight. Whether Richard succeeds or fails, Ozzie is doing what he has to do. Even if Richard screws the pooch, I will defend Ozzie's decision. That decision by Manuel in 2003 was indefensible.

Great post.

I really hope we only try to get 4 from Richard and if he's pitching well send him out for the fifth and pull him at the first base runner. Then I'd go with Carrasco for the next 2 and give it to Dotel/Linebrink (I'm assuming Thorton isn't available after nearly 40 pitches yesterday).

Screw the let's get 5 innings of of Richard to get him the win crap. This is about team wins now and Richard hasn't shown much to prove he is of starter quality yet. He has however, done well the first 1 and often 2 times through the order. The third time through has been terrible. No way I let him face more than 18 batter this game.

hawkjt
09-17-2008, 02:25 PM
The Yankees struggle vs lefties...richard is the way to go. I have a feeling he will give ozzie 6 strong tonite.

sunofgold
09-17-2008, 02:28 PM
The injury to Contreras was huge. He was pitching okay and we have been struggling with our 5th starter. Probably not as bad as 2004.

Wish that KW could have picked up a fifth starter. I know there were only 'having a sucky 2008 season' starters left, but you never know. A change of scenery could sometimes help a guy.

However, Richard has some some flashes of being a good pitcher. I would be somewhat happy with 5 innings today and the WHITE SOX still in the game.

GO GO WHITE SOX!