PDA

View Full Version : I love the Sox but we stink!!

WhiteSoxAl
09-15-2008, 10:10 PM
The division is ours for the taking but we don't go out and take it because the Twins stink also. Kansas City and Detroit are not the only teams we play so why don't we learn how to beat others. Everyone beats the Yankees but we go in there and can't hit and our relief pitching craps out as usual. Even the one game we beat Toronto we almost blew. The first half we showed our relief pitching was great and we were not going to be the 2007 Sox. Now I am not so sure. What happened to these guys? Big deal if we back in , splash a little champagne in the clubhouse and then go out and lose 3 straight. They need to win now and keep winning or we are toast no matter how bad the Twins play. Good teams peak in the 2nd half . I am sorry to say but we peaked in the 1st.

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 10:13 PM
The division is ours for the taking but we don't go out and take it because the Twins stink also. Kansas City and Detroit are not the only teams we play so why don't we learn how to beat others. Everyone beats the Yankees but we go in there and can't hit and our relief pitching craps out as usual. Even the one game we beat Toronto we almost blew. The first half we showed our relief pitching was great and we were not going to be the 2007 Sox. Now I am not so sure. What happened to these guys? Big deal if we back in , splash a little champagne in the clubhouse and then go out and lose 3 straight. They need to win now and keep winning or we are toast no matter how bad the Twins play. Good teams peak in the 2nd half . I am sorry to say but we peaked in the 1st.

The yanks just beat the Rays 2 out of 3. Recently the Sox have been playing either really good teams or teams that have been playing well. They have gone 6- 7 this month. Yes things could be better and yes our bullpen is in a major league funk.

Our starting pitching is back, our hitting is fine. Thornton and Jenks are reliable. Linebrink and Dotel make it back the Sox have a great bullpen again.

Trust me, if the Sox make the playoffs I don't think anyone will be taking this team lightly.

thomas35forever
09-15-2008, 10:14 PM
Someone didn't take their meds tonight.

oeo
09-15-2008, 10:27 PM

Your first sentence makes absolutely no sense, and then it just looks like a bunch of mumble-jumble after that.

kevingrt
09-15-2008, 10:29 PM
Your first sentence makes absolutely no sense, and then it just looks like a bunch of mumble-jumble after that.

Completely agree. When opening the thread I expected a sound argument. But after reading it for a third time I still have no clue what point is trying to be made.

whitesoxfan
09-15-2008, 10:33 PM
Lighten up. We're still up by a game and a half, the Twins lost, and our magic number is 12.

You can't win every damn game.

itsnotrequired
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
awesome team, awesome sound

TDog
09-15-2008, 10:35 PM

Our starting pitching is back, our hitting is fine. Thornton and Jenks are reliable. Linebrink and Dotel make it back the Sox have a great bullpen again.

Trust me, if the Sox make the playoffs I don't think anyone will be taking this team lightly.

Getting to the postseason will be the trick, and I'm optimistic. Once in the postseason, I expect the Sox four starters to go longer and the bullpen to be sharper and leaner than the bloated bullpen represetning the White Sox this week in the Big Apple.

Aside from the matter of homefield against American League opponents, how the Sox get to the postseason won't be important. Where they are when they get there will be.

soxwon
09-15-2008, 10:39 PM
The yanks just beat the Rays 2 out of 3. Recently the Sox have been playing either really good teams or teams that have been playing well. They have gone 6- 7 this month. Yes things could be better and yes our bullpen is in a major league funk.

absolutely correct, we will not be taken lightly.
And we WILL make the playoffs, we need 6 wins out of 12
minn will lose 6 out of 12 we have the division won.

CWS44
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
Hey WhiteSoxAL, I get you are frustrated with this loss. There is plenty of venting in the 9/15 postgame thread. Let's hope for a few wins in New York.

ChiSox89
09-15-2008, 10:46 PM
hey i no this is frustrating but if we make the playoffs, than you throw everything out the window. anything can happen in the playoffs

jabrch
09-16-2008, 12:36 AM
The sox do not stink. The thread stinks.

munchman33
09-16-2008, 01:50 AM
:threadblows:

scarsofthumper
09-16-2008, 01:52 AM
Might as well call this thread Ike

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 02:08 AM
One thing that's certain is guys like Wasserman and H. Ramirez won't be sniffing a playoff roster spot if we get there. I still do not understand why Ozzie decides to have these September call-ups pitch in tight game situations when we're fighting for our playoff lives right now. They're only worth pitching in garbage time. MacDougal's looked better since being recalled; but, H. Ramirez and Wasserman? Puleeze!

pmck003
09-16-2008, 04:13 AM
Lets recap the outcomes of what has happened since the Sox won 9 out of 10 in August:

- Lost 2 out of 3 to the Rays at home; not good but it happens against first place clubs

- Won 2 out of 3 in Baltimore (not counting April make-up): Par

- Won 1 out of 3 in Boston: Par

- Won 1 out of 3 in Cleveland: Par (the way they've been playing)

- Won 2 out of 3 against LA: Par plus

- Lost 3 out of 4 against Toronto: Bad but Toronto was on fire

- Won 2 out of 2 against Detroit: Good

- Lost one game in New York: Crazy rant time? I've counted 2 bad series with one good one and I'd argue the LA series was slightly above par. Yeah, the bullpen isn't dominant and the Sox are adjusting to playing without the hero of the year and Konerko who had looked pretty good as of late. Also, the recent performances by Buehrle, Vazquez, and Danks have been positive and these three would be the most important factor in a three game series.

delben91
09-16-2008, 07:27 AM

:thumbsup:

Jpgr91
09-16-2008, 09:49 AM
In the playoffs, anything can happen... However the Sox are 4 - 6 against the Rays, the Sox most likely first round opponent.

I find it a little difficult to get excited about the playoff chances of a team that has zero "killer instinct". The Sox simply have not seized any oportunity that has presented itself in the last month. They had chances against Toronto and they almost blew it against the Tigers. Not to mention, the sox still have issues with fundamentals (can't execute bunts, poor baserunning, and poor defense)

russ99
09-16-2008, 10:17 AM
Lets recap the outcomes of what has happened since the Sox won 9 out of 10 in August:

- Lost 2 out of 3 to the Rays at home; not good but it happens against first place clubs

- Won 2 out of 3 in Baltimore (not counting April make-up): Par

- Won 1 out of 3 in Boston: Par

- Won 1 out of 3 in Cleveland: Par (the way they've been playing)

- Won 2 out of 3 against LA: Par plus

- Lost 3 out of 4 against Toronto: Bad but Toronto was on fire

- Won 2 out of 2 against Detroit: Good

- Lost one game in New York: Crazy rant time? I've counted 2 bad series with one good one and I'd argue the LA series was slightly above par. Yeah, the bullpen isn't dominant and the Sox are adjusting to playing without the hero of the year and Konerko who had looked pretty good as of late. Also, the recent performances by Buehrle, Vazquez, and Danks have been positive and these three would be the most important factor in a three game series.

Maybe you forgot that we had a similar slide in 2005.

Pitching wins titles, and we have 4 pretty damn good starters.

The bullpen's shaky right now, but hopefully that can get turned around along with Ozzie being less reliant on guys with little experience in pressure situations like Wasserman and Ramirez. Why wasn't Linebrink in the game yesterday??

Dotel getting lit up lately doesn't help, but if MacDougal is getting it done why not use him in the 7th?

If Paulie & Carlos can come back (Carlos much later, obviously) then we can win a few playoff series - where we would have 2/3 games at home.

salty99
09-16-2008, 10:37 AM
In the playoffs, anything can happen... However the Sox are 4 - 6 against the Rays, the Sox most likely first round opponent.

Actually right now it's not clear who we would play, either Boston or Tampa.

oeo
09-16-2008, 10:42 AM

Well, that's a little deceiving if all you're going to do is type in the record.
1)7 of the 10 were in Tampa Bay.
2)All 10 were very winnable games for the Sox. And in that 3 game series in Chicago, everything (and I mean everything) bounced their way until the 9th inning of Game 3.

It's not like the Rays looked vastly superior to us.

Also, if we win the division we're likely going to be facing the Red Sox. I'd much rather face the Rays and their inexperienced team. But it's all moot if our bullpen doesn't get its act together. We can match up with all of the playoff teams if our bullpen isn't blowing leads, extending deficits, and losing ties.

hellview
09-16-2008, 10:50 AM
The AL Central is just weak this season.

The Sox and the Twins just aren't that good of teams when you compare them to the Angels, Red Sox and Rays. Both the Sox and Twins are in this cause the Indians sucked for most of the season and the Tigers weren't the offensive jugernaut most people thought they would be. You put the Sox or Twins in the East and they're fighting for .500 this season.

But when it comes down to it it's all about just making the postseason and seeing what happens from there. But the Sox and Twins have both tried their best to hand the Central to each other and neither team really wants it.

spiffie
09-16-2008, 10:53 AM
Dear Al,

Turn your computer off, get a sledgehammer, and hit the computer with the hammer repeatedly. That will spare us from one more cowardly Sox fan spreading their woe-is-us crap.

This team is going all the way. Either hop on the bandwagon and stay for the whole ride, or get off and give us leg room.

Jpgr91
09-16-2008, 11:03 AM
Well, that's a little deceiving if all you're going to do is type in the record.
1)7 of the 10 were in Tampa Bay.
2)All 10 were very winnable games for the Sox. And in that 3 game series in Chicago, everything (and I mean everything) bounced their way until the 9th inning of Game 3.

It's not like the Rays looked vastly superior to us.

Also, if we win the division we're likely going to be facing the Red Sox. I'd much rather face the Rays and their inexperienced team. But it's all moot if our bullpen doesn't get its act together. We can match up with all of the playoff teams if our bullpen isn't blowing leads, extending deficits, and losing ties.

I do agree that considering the record only is a little decieving, but to be fair, it also must be considered those games were also played with Quentin, a healthy Linebrink, and Contreras. I would rather see the sox match up against the Rays, but I still am very skeptical about the teams chances.

Chilli Palmer
09-16-2008, 11:28 AM
The sox do not stink. The thread stinks.

Has anyone ever told you to speak only when directly spoken to. I think you would be better off if that was the case.

The Critic
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
Has anyone ever told you to speak only when directly spoken to. I think you would be better off if that was the case.

What a horribly dull message board this would be if this were the rule.
Oh, wait...you didn't speak to me directly...:o:

jdm2662
09-16-2008, 01:05 PM
In 2000, the Yankees lost 15 of their last 18 games of the season. They ended the season with only 87 wins. They won the World Series.

In 2005, the Indians looked unstoppable going into the last week of the season. Everyone in the country felt they were on their way to the playoffs. They ended up losing 5 of their last 6 and missed the playoffs by two games and the division by 6 games. This place was in panic mode as we watched the Indians take 2 out of 3 games in a late series. The division lead went from 15 to 1.5 games. The White Sox are done, they are going to choke. You know the rest.

Neither the Twins or White Sox been playing good baseball for a while, but that can all change starting today...

sullythered
09-16-2008, 01:08 PM
The Sox and the Twins just aren't that good of teams when you compare them to the Angels, Red Sox and Rays.
Fingernails, meet chalkboard.

jabrch
09-16-2008, 02:53 PM

Well Chilli - thank you so much for thinking of my wellness. I appreciate your ability to judge how well off I'd be based on different styles of communications. It really warms my heart that you care so much to take time away from your foundationless whining and closedmindedness to tell me how to live. I will file your suggestions in the appropriate place. Please feel free to continue to make suggestion for how I can best live my life. I'm sure I could be much better off if I just listen to "Chilli Palmer" on WSI just a bit more.

Can you give me some more advice please since you seem to believe that you are so good at it? What stocks should I buy in this market? What can I do about this rash I have down there? My dog isn't behaving well. My kid won't sleep through the night. Chilli Palmer - please help me to be more well off?

Actually, on second thought, don't bother. I really don't give a crap what you think.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Chilli made it personal. Jabrch responded in kind. Quit while you're even.

white sox bill
09-16-2008, 03:07 PM
We were under the radar in 05 despite going wire to wire. We are even more under the radar, still long shots to win WS. And with good reason

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
We were under the radar in 05 despite going wire to wire. We are even more under the radar, still long shots to win WS. And with good reason

There is no reason that this team can't get hot and win. I would just rather get hot at the end of the season and maintain that.

whitesox901
09-16-2008, 03:17 PM
Just sit back, relax and strap it down, 2008 White Sox October Baseball coming up.

turners56
09-16-2008, 04:07 PM

I'm sure EVERYBODY beats the Yankees, that's why they're 10 games over .500. They're still a decent team.