PDA

View Full Version : Brandon McCarthy Update

Oblong
09-15-2008, 09:13 PM
Brandon left his start tonight against the Tigers after 7 pitches. Something with his finger, not his arm.

fusillirob1983
09-16-2008, 01:06 PM
Brandon left his start tonight against the Tigers after 7 pitches. Something with his finger, not his arm.

Probably broke a nail while clawing at a blackboard.

palehozenychicty
09-16-2008, 01:47 PM
I heard about it last night too. He has just fallen apart, literally, with Texas. It's a damn shame.

That was a classic KW "ninja" trade for Danks/Masset/Rasner, but I wouldn't mind Brandon as a #4 or 5 starter for next year, if he can put some weight on and change those mechanics. He does have ability. I guess that he misses Brian.

doublem23
09-16-2008, 02:01 PM
That was a classic KW "ninja" trade for Danks/Masset/Rasner, but I wouldn't mind Brandon as a #4 or 5 starter for next year, if he can put some weight on and change those mechanics. He does have ability. I guess that he misses Brian.

I'd take a flyer on him, he pitched well here so maybe Coop and the Sox staff know how to get into his head. But I wouldn't want to rely on him for anything.

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 02:15 PM
It is kinda sad to see a pitcher with so much promise struggle. I know there were a ton of people who were freaking out when KW made that trade, but so far it has done ok.

delben91
09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Danks stanks :(:

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 02:25 PM
I don't think so. He has at least made more than 8-9 starts for us. He has made at least more than 8-9 Quality starts.

kittle42
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I don't think so. He has at least made more than 8-9 starts for us. He has made at least more than 8-9 Quality starts.

Teal was implied, I'm sure.

NLaloosh
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
Sure wish we had that trade back. If Brandon had been with the Sox he would be healthy and a 20 game winner.

FedEx227
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Does Phil Rogers still consider this trade a loss for the Sox?

thedudeabides
09-17-2008, 12:57 PM

Funny, he has been awful quiet about the 'proven workhorse'. I expected as much. I can't believe how adamant he was about that trade and can't even go back to call himself out. That may have been the official decline into Phil Rogers being a 'despicable' sports writer.

seventyseven
09-17-2008, 05:41 PM

Probably. Just like the Vazquez for Jacque Jones, I mean Chris Young, deal.

Rogers is a d-bag.

Billy Ashley
09-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Pretty much everybody who followed the minors liked the trade for the White Sox back then. Danks was essentially a left handed version of McCarthy with a little more upside. It really never made much sense for the Rangers.

That said, it looks even worse now that Danks has figured it out and has had such a good year. The one caution I'd preach is given his age and his leap in innings, he still stands a very good chance to get hurt. However this is also true of any other young pitcher...

Still what a deal for Williams

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 12:13 AM
Pretty much everybody who followed the minors liked the trade for the White Sox back then. Danks was essentially a left handed version of McCarthy with a little more upside. It really never made much sense for the Rangers.

That said, it looks even worse now that Danks has figured it out and has had such a good year. The one caution I'd preach is given his age and his leap in innings, he still stands a very good chance to get hurt. However this is also true of any other young pitcher...

Still what a deal for Williams

K-Dub *knew* what he was doing when he dumped DSL, Gio & MacCarthy. I think all 3 will have gone under the knife before 2010.

dwalteroo
09-20-2008, 12:19 AM
And it goes without saying as we all know it, but the McCarthy move was orchestrated genius. Moving Garcia first to open the 5 spot made it look like McCarthy was our future. And now, Danks is. In Kenny I trust.

Save McCuddy's
09-20-2008, 12:22 AM

No kidding. How embarrassing is it to have Phil Rogers represent a city with 2 major league teams as the resident baseball expert? Very sad.

FedEx227
09-20-2008, 12:45 AM

Exactly. When you have similar numbers and similar effectiveness out of two players and one is a righty and the other is a lefty you HAVE to go with the lefty, there is no doubt about that. Add in the fact the righty weighs about 110 pounds and it's a no-brainer and for most of us here was a no-brainer.

You should've heard me trying to explain this to some friends who were completely up in arms.

Tragg
09-20-2008, 12:51 AM
McCarthy's best start of his career was in Boston on Labor Day 2005. And that really was a big performance. I think Daniels comes from the boston org. so I figured that game carried a lot of weight with him.

Yet, our field staff was never sold on McCarthy. And they were right.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2008, 01:44 AM
K-Dub *knew* what he was doing when he dumped DSL...Nonsense. The DSL Hall of Fame plaque has already been cast.

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 01:58 AM
Nonsense. The DSL Hall of Fame plaque has already been cast.

Who's DSL?

I think you're referring to DLS (aka De Los Santos Montcerrat Caballe-Vicario who briefly pitched for the White Sox but is nowhere near Hall of Fame-worthy).

G-d's in details, my friend.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2008, 02:17 AM
Who's DSL?

I think you're referring to DLS (aka De Los Santos Montcerrat Caballe-Vicario who briefly pitched for the White Sox but is nowhere near Hall of Fame-worthy).

G-d's in details, my friend.You'll notice I was quoting you when I typed DSL because that's what I was looking at in your post. Ooops!

Adele_H
09-20-2008, 02:25 AM
You'll notice I was quoting you when I typed DSL because that's what I was looking at in your post. Ooops!

Well... I was precognitively deferring to your impending post.

Besides, I hardly know anything; why would you quote me on anything in the first place? Big faux pas.

Nellie_Fox
09-20-2008, 02:39 AM
...why would you quote me on anything in the first place? Big faux pas.Good point. Damned good point. :tongue:

Soxfanspcu11
09-20-2008, 02:51 PM
It is kinda sad to see a pitcher with so much promise struggle. I know there were a ton of people who were freaking out when KW made that trade, but so far it has done ok.

Ok is the understatement of the Year!

jabrch
09-20-2008, 03:12 PM
I wish no ill wills on Brandon (except when he plays us) - but it is funny to see how this turned out when so many of the pundits were so critical of the move.

Billy Ashley
09-21-2008, 03:24 PM
I wish no ill wills on Brandon (except when he plays us) - but it is funny to see how this turned out when so many of the pundits were so critical of the move.

Most the people I tend to respect liked the deal for the White Sox at the time. Who was critical? I think the people at BA were all over Texas for that deal. Who was critical?

The talking heads at BBTN?

Daver
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM

It made all the sense in the world when you take into consideration the Rangers thought they were getting an MLB ready pitcher, which at the time they were very thin at. The few starts McCarthy made for the White Sox made his value real as an MLB talent, not as an unproven commodity like Danks, Masset, and Rasner.