PDA

View Full Version : Red Sox pounding Rays

thomas35forever
09-15-2008, 07:49 PM
The Carmines just put up a seven-spot in the top of the fourth to make it an 11-1 lead. I can easily see them taking over the division lead and then running away with it by the end of the week.

DumpJerry
09-15-2008, 07:56 PM
You know, it's games like this and posts like the first one in this thread that will piss off the Rays causing them to take out their anger and frustration with extreme prejudice on the Twins this weekend.

munchman33
09-15-2008, 08:00 PM
You know, it's games like this and posts like the first one in this thread that will piss off the Rays causing them to take out their anger and frustration with extreme prejudice on the Twins this weekend.

:yup:

Frater Perdurabo
09-15-2008, 08:13 PM

:nod::stirpot::booty::thumbsup:

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 08:40 PM
The Carmines just put up a seven-spot in the top of the fourth to make it an 11-1 lead. I can easily see them taking over the division lead and then running away with it by the end of the week.
That's what they were all saying last week before the Rays took the last two in Fenway Park. I still have my money on the Rays.

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 09:21 PM
The rays will hold on and win the division and I would be happy to play them in the first round. Yes they are cinderella, but the sox don't have much affection for fairy- tales.

That said I just don't want to see the red sox.

Harry Potter
09-15-2008, 09:47 PM
I don't care who we play in the first round, I just want to make the first round :(:

hawkjt
09-15-2008, 09:57 PM
Kazmir must have been bad tonite...I was counting on him shutting down the twins on saturday...hope it was a one game blip ...he had a sub1.50 era his last three starts.

I am starting to think the AL East is a great division ...sox cannot beat them anyway. Glad we only have 3 more vs the EAST.

EuroSox35
09-16-2008, 01:37 AM
I hope they both tank and both 'back' their way into the playoffs. One can hope right? Anyways, I'd rather bank on facing the Rays youth instead of a red hot Red Sox team.

Fenway
09-16-2008, 12:31 PM
That's what they were all saying last week before the Rays took the last two in Fenway Park. I still have my money on the Rays.

Kazmir was simply horrific last night. He started the game with 9 straight balls and then finally found the plate on pitch 10 and Ortiz just crushed it.

Boston wants the division badly simply because they do not want to face Anaheim in the LDS. They also want to sweep in Tampa to lock up the tie-breaker for the division.

The Rays were also disheartened by the crowd of 29,000 which was easily two-thirds Boston rooters. Incredibly a Tampa writer told me that fans in the area would rather watch Cowboys-Eagles than pennant race baseball.

However no matter what Tampa is the feel good story of the 2008 season. There will be playoff baseball in St Petersburg and not The Bronx which has to warm the hearts of all baseball fans.

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
The Red Sox want to win the division and want to get a legit shot at defending their WS title.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 09:05 PM
Tampa wins walk-off style tonight! :bandance:

Fenway
09-16-2008, 09:15 PM
Tampa wins walk-off style tonight! :bandance:

That locks up the tiebreaker for Tampa as even if Boston wins tomorrow to make it 9-9 for season the next tiebreaker is best division record which Tampa controls.

Honestly if you are a White Sox do you want to play Tampa or Boston? Be careful what you wish for.

PicktoCLick72
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
That locks up the tiebreaker for Tampa as even if Boston wins tomorrow to make it 9-9 for season the next tiebreaker is best division record which Tampa controls.

Honestly if you are a White Sox do you want to play Tampa or Boston? Be careful what you wish for.

I'll take either, just get into the playoffs.

Fenway
09-16-2008, 09:45 PM
I'll take either, just get into the playoffs.

I think the White Sox will be OK as I can see the Rays taking 3 of 4 from the Twins this weekend. Just take care of the Royals this weekend and don't look ahead.

Tragg
09-16-2008, 10:45 PM
I want to play Tampa.

illini81887
09-16-2008, 10:47 PM
I want no part of beckett especially in a 5game series

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 11:42 PM
I want no part of beckett especially in a 5game seriesI would much rather take him in a 5 game series than a 7. Look at the Athletics and Twins in 2006. Frank hit a pair of homers, and they shocked Santana in game 1 on the way to a sweep. Often times 3 game series are over before you know it, and upsets are more frequent. Beckett is nowhere near the pitcher Santana is, but he is still really good. You might have his number once in the series, but you still have to win three more, and there is even a chance they throw him on 3 days rest for games 4 and 7.

That being said, I want the Rays then Angels.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 11:59 PM

Easily Tampa! I'd like to face Tampa, then beat LA, then beat the other LA team so that our Sox can smack around Manny Being Manny (and the 1 time I got to boo Manny in St. Louis wasn't enough for me).

Fenway
09-17-2008, 10:41 AM
I think the East will be decided tonight with the winner holding on to take the division. If Tampa wins tonight they will actually have a 3 game lead given the tiebreaker but if Boston wins the home schedule favors the Red Sox. In any event both Boston and Tampa are IN.

I also think the Rays just might give the Twins a fatal blow this weekend and assuming the White Sox don't screw up in Kansas City there is a good chance the White Sox will be dancing in the Metrodome a week from now.

palehozenychicty
09-17-2008, 10:56 AM
Easily Tampa! I'd like to face Tampa, then beat LA, then beat the other LA team so that our Sox can smack around Manny Being Manny (and the 1 time I got to boo Manny in St. Louis wasn't enough for me).

A Sox-Dodgers series would be kinda grand. We owe them anyway, for robbing Nellie and Luis of a ring. :D:

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:59 AM
A Sox-Dodgers series would be kinda grand. We owe them anyway, for robbing Nellie and Luis of a ring. :D:
I wonder if West could use his technological savvy to create a signal that would control the music heard over the PA system at Chavez Ravine. It would be mighty nice to hear that Go Go White Sox song in a visiting ballpark. I'm sure the old-timers would appreciate that as well, given the 1959 connection.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 07:22 PM
Tampa's not losing that division! :tongue:

Adele_H
09-17-2008, 11:32 PM
Tampa's not losing that division! :tongue:

Here's hoping.

With Crawford out, Kazmir and Longoria struggling... I'd like to get another crack at the Rays in the playoffs. And their inexperience in October adds to their vulnerability IMO.

Red Sox without Homefield advantage, whether facing the Angels who've owned them in ALDS, or, White Sox in ALCS... are not quite as tough.

Mohoney
09-18-2008, 05:39 AM
Meanwhile, the Rays have taken 2 series in a row from the supposedly juggernaut Red Sox to put their record against Boston at 10-8 for the season. Am I nuts in thinking that I like their chances in the AL a lot more than the Red Sox that everybody else is so scared to face?

The Rays are also 6-3 against the Angels and 6-4 against us. Nobody else has played better against the upper echelon teams than they have. They are proving themselves on the field, not through media hype or gaudy stats.

Mendoza Line
09-18-2008, 08:18 AM
Will the ALDS be on ESPN? I hope not.. I don't think I could handle 10+ hours of Chris Berman. Although, I do want to hear "And the Red Sox' dream to repeat is over.... Again...:whiner: "

sox1970
09-18-2008, 08:26 AM
Will the ALDS be on ESPN? I hope not.. I don't think I could handle 10+ hours of Chris Berman. Although, I do want to hear "And the Red Sox' dream to repeat is over.... Again...:whiner: "

ESPN doesn't have the playoffs. The ALDS and ALCS are both TBS. The NLDS is TBS. The NLCS is Fox. The World Series is Fox.

Fenway
09-18-2008, 10:36 AM
The mood in Boston is resignation that Boston will play Anaheim 2 weeks from now and Francona will start setting up the rotation now.

Give the Rays credit as they passed their first test of Autumn Baseball with flying colors taking 4 of 6 with Boston.

They were joking on WEEI on how will Ozzie react if a game in the ALDS is decided by a catwalk homer. All kidding aside you just know those darn catwalks will come into play in the post-season.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 10:37 AM
They were joking on WEEI on how will Ozzie react if a game in the ALDS is decided by a catwalk homer. All kidding aside you just know those darn catwalks will come into play in the post-season.
I don't think Ozzie would mind if, say, Konerko hit one of those catwalks. :tongue:

What else did they say on WEEI about the potential Sox/Rays match up?

Fenway
09-18-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't think Ozzie would mind if, say, Konerko hit one of those catwalks. :tongue:

What else did they say on WEEI about the potential Sox/Rays match up?

Just that Tampa will be very hard to beat with home field. The last week has proven that Tampa is not scared of pressure games and they could very well win the whole thing.

Last night they were talking about the catwalks and the architects were absolutely convinced no batter could hit a ball into them. That delusion lasted only a few games when Frank Thomas put a ball up there and then they came up with the catwalk ground rules.

Fenway
09-18-2008, 01:01 PM
Honestly I expect an all Sox ALCS with the winner playing the Dodgers.

Throw out Boston's 1-8 record with Anaheim as Manny was still with Boston for those games and they have been a better team without him. Ortiz also missed a lot of games with LAA.

The key for the White Sox is locking up the division by this time next week so Ozzie can reset the rotation. Tampa has been a nightmare for all road teams this season so winning one of the first 2 games is critical as you don't want to go to Game 5.

Adele_H
09-18-2008, 02:40 PM
Am I nuts in thinking that I like their chances in the AL a lot more than the Red Sox that everybody else is so scared to face?

Yes.

Boston without Shilling, Manny and JD Drew aren't as intimidating, but they still have the best combination of talent & experience of any team.

Don't get me wrong, Rays can win it all too.... but I just like how we match up with them better. I want no part of Matsuzaka, Beckett, Lester in ALDS, without Homefield to boot.

Fenway
09-18-2008, 04:20 PM
Boston Globe looks at possible series with Anaheim

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/09/18/halo_wild_card/

and says the Trop is now Chicago's problem

Adele_H
09-18-2008, 05:27 PM
Boston Globe looks at possible series with Anaheim

http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/09/18/halo_wild_card/

and says the Trop is now Chicago's problem

Manny > Jason Bay
JD > no JD Drew
Beckett's elbow problem > before Beckett's elbow problem

That said.... Boston "been there done that" poise > Anaheim Mighty Angels poise. So the series is a toss up.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-19-2008, 10:22 PM
He went to the Dominican with team permission but then sent word back that he wasn't going to return. ESPN say he didn't like the idea of being put in the bullpen. :?: Point taken.