PDA

View Full Version : Brewers fire Ned Yost

aryzner
09-15-2008, 03:11 PM
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080915&content_id=3480423&vkey=news_mil&fext=.jsp&c_id=mil

Just heard it from someone at work who is listening to the Cubs game (said they mentioned it on the broadcast), had to find it on the internet to see if it was true!

DSpivack
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
He should have been fired after last season, but I question firing a manager in the middle of a wild card race in September.

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 03:13 PM
Wow, thats pretty surprising with a dozen or so games left. Wonder what effect it will have on the race.

downstairs
09-15-2008, 03:16 PM
Maybe I haven't been following the Brew Crew that much... but what's been wrong with Yost. They were close to the playoffs last year, and this year are still in the running.

I mean- in this sort of situation, wouldn't you wait until the end of the season?

FedEx227
09-15-2008, 03:17 PM
Odd timing. It's official, just announced on the ESPN bottom ticker.

I would've done it at the end of last year, seems really odd to do it with 12-13 games left in the season.

DumpJerry
09-15-2008, 03:22 PM
...two years too late. I'm guessing Yost thought the baseball season ends on August 31st and Brewer upper management has a different understanding of the baseball season schedule.

hellview
09-15-2008, 03:23 PM
Even though Yost is a moron this is clearly an attempt to save this all of nothing season by the Brewers front office.

Foulke You
09-15-2008, 03:25 PM
Maybe I haven't been following the Brew Crew that much... but what's been wrong with Yost. They were close to the playoffs last year, and this year are still in the running.

I mean- in this sort of situation, wouldn't you wait until the end of the season?
My Brewer fan friend will be very happy that they axed him. From what he described, Yost was very similar to Bevington. Clueless baseball strategist, combative personality (especially when the media questioned him), and a poor motivator to boot. This should have happened after last season. I wonder if there is enough time to save the Brewers season?

pmck003
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
I guess the Brewers hope to get a kick in the pants.

FedEx227
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Too late in my mind. They are a sinking ship. I really wish Gallardo didn't get hurt, I think that absolutely killed their chances this season because Dave Bush and Jeff Suppan are just not very good.

UofCSoxFan
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM

This is the 2nd if not third year in a row the Brewers have tanked in crunch time, this time after managment traded their best prospect for a one year un at the title.

The Brewers just got swept in a crucial 3 game series against the Phillies whom they are now tied with in the Wild Card.

The current downward spiral started when Yost was pissed off over a non-no hitter even though his team one a game, showing he was more concerned with personal stats than the team. It was a distraction and made the orgainization look foolish.

I don't know if I agree wtih the firiing but managment is desperate for a spark and likely would have fired Yost anyone so they pulled the trigger now.

palehozenychicty
09-15-2008, 03:31 PM
...two years too late. I'm guessing Yost thought the baseball season ends on August 31st and Brewer upper management has a different understanding of the baseball season schedule.

Thank you. Attanasio should work on his timing for the next time, though.

KenBerryGrab
09-15-2008, 03:32 PM
Yost has always been wound too tightly. This is a panic move right now, though.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 03:36 PM
Any manager that willingly puts in Eric Gagne in a close situation should be fired.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Wow, this great for Milwaukee! Great move, and long overdue! Now go BrewCrew!

:gulp::happybday:bandance::cool::D::wink::)

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 03:40 PM
Any manager that willingly puts in Eric Gagne in a close situation should be fired.
Eric Gagne is living proof that steroids really do shrink your balls.

Over By There
09-15-2008, 03:43 PM
Can't argue with firing Yost, I guess, but the timing certainly is odd. Can anyone remember a manager being fired this late in the season with his team so close to the postseason?

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
He should just quit baseball and become Seth Rogen's stunt double

soxinem1
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Yost should have never managed the team this year, IMHO.

The only thing he did that I thought was cool was the Brooks Keishnick thing, having him as a reliever and HR-hitting PH at the same time.

But how does he handle his team? Well:

1. Weeks batting lead-off all year hitting .230 and striking out a ton.
2. Playing Bill Hall at 3B who hasn't hit or fielded worth a damn. At least Braun hit when he won his Iron Glove last year.
3. Having Bush and McClung alternate the fifth starter's spot most of the summer depending on where they played their games.
4. Left Gagne out there to run the gas pumps at the scene of the fire unrestricted first as a closer, then set-up man for nearly five months, but then discovered last week that he should not be used in any situation with less than an eleven run lead.

MIL should bring in Jim Fregosi or Jeff Torborg to manage this team.

turners56
09-15-2008, 04:01 PM
They wasted their entire season with Yost already. Without Yost, they might be a lot better off.

doublem23
09-15-2008, 04:12 PM
They wasted their entire season with Yost already. Without Yost, they might be a lot better off.

That's what I'm scared of.

Whatever, they're ****ed. I only hope that they end up in a situation in a must-win game and Capt. Choker, CC Sabathia, on the mound.

PKalltheway
09-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Can't argue with firing Yost, I guess, but the timing certainly is odd. Can anyone remember a manager being fired this late in the season with his team so close to the postseason?
I remember Larry Bowa being canned by the Phils on the second-to-last day of the season a couple of years ago, but I think the Phils were already eliminated by then. Philly had a history of "Pholding" in August and September during his tenure IIRC

veeter
09-15-2008, 04:25 PM
I'm glad as I've been rooting for the Brewers in vain for the last couple of years. The other day Chase Uttley obviously fouled one off his foot. It's the perfect swinging bunt, he runs and reaches. I mean the ball changed directions! Kendall is protesting, he knows it's foul. Yost comes out for a token comment and that's all. Ozzie would have had every neck vein exposed. The biggest thing I admire about Ozzie, is how he fights for his team. Yost is a moron with no fire at all. The Brewers couldn't have respected him, I know I don't.

soltrain21
09-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Should have done it last year, or after they got swept by the Cubs at home when they were down two games.

PatK
09-15-2008, 04:42 PM

Or your strike zone.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-15-2008, 05:28 PM
Can anyone remember a manager being fired this late in the season with his team so close to the postseason?

Just what I was wondering. Has anyone ever been fired when, if the season instead ended on the day on which he was fired, his team would be in the playoffs, or a tiebreaker at least? (I've lost track of exactly where we are at the moment with the NL Wild Card, coin flippage etc.)

DSpivack
09-15-2008, 06:31 PM
Just what I was wondering. Has anyone ever been fired when, if the season instead ended on the day on which he was fired, his team would be in the playoffs, or a tiebreaker at least? (I've lost track of exactly where we are at the moment with the NL Wild Card, coin flippage etc.)

They're tied for the wild card lead with Philly, with Houston 2.5 back right now. Sure, Yost sucks and should've been fired after last season ended, but the timing just seems really odd to me. It makes me thing something might have happened behind the scenes.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 07:42 PM
They're tied for the wild card lead with Philly, with Houston 2.5 back right now. Sure, Yost sucks and should've been fired after last season ended, but the timing just seems really odd to me. It makes me thing something might have happened behind the scenes.
Dalton probably realized what he was doing.

If this was Ned Colletti, he would have been given a contract extension

slavko
09-15-2008, 07:57 PM
Succeeded by Dale Sveum. Didn't he suck with us as a player for a brief time? The ex-White Sox factor. It worked for the Mets this year.

Boondock Saint
09-15-2008, 09:09 PM
The Brewers have had enough talent to compete for the NL Central since the start of the season, and they failed to play up to their potential. They added CC Sabathia, and they're still running in circles. Now they're losing the wild card race, and fast. Something had to be done, and I think it's wise to do it before their season becomes an enormous failure.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 09:46 PM
Wow, this great for Milwaukee! Great move, and long overdue! Now go BrewCrew!
I'd rather have the Phillies in the playoffs They'd give the Cubs much more fits than the hapless BrewCrew, who always seem to choke whenever playing the Lovable Losers.

JB98
09-15-2008, 10:59 PM
I'd rather have the Phillies in the playoffs They'd give the Cubs much more fits than the hapless BrewCrew, who always seem to choke whenever playing the Lovable Losers.

I agree. The Brewers start weeping and fold the tents at the mere sight of those juggernaut Cubbies. The Phillies won't be the least bit intimidated.

TheOldRoman
09-16-2008, 12:16 AM
They're tied for the wild card lead with Philly, with Houston 2.5 back right now. Sure, Yost sucks and should've been fired after last season ended, but the timing just seems really odd to me. It makes me thing something might have happened behind the scenes.It doesn't matter. The Brewers were dead in the water. I saw a few of the games this weekend, and it was sad. I had only seen the look on the Brewers' faces once before - on the Sox in the Metrodome in September of 03. It must be a hopeless "we came this far and there is absolutely nothing we can do at this point" kind of thing. With the look on the Brewers' faces and the body language, this team will be lucky to finish within 4 of the wild car (yes, I realize we have under 2 weeks left). Hopefully firing this stooge gets them going.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2008, 01:00 AM
That is two years in a row he has destroyed a team full of talent that could obliterate the national league. That team can hit and pitch but can't win. The blame HAS to go on the manager in this situation especially when the team can't hold on to big leads at the end of the season.

I expect the Brewers to pick up a good manager and win the national league next year.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 01:27 AM
I expect the Brewers to pick up a good manager and win the national league next year.They won't have Sabathia. They won't have Sheets. They may not have a few other guys. I think they saw this year as a very small window of opportunity, and that's why they've fired Yost now instead of the end of the season, because if they can't pull it together to get into the playoffs and make some noise, they probably won't get the chance again for a while. Firing a manager with two weeks left in the season is a sign of desperation.

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 01:49 AM
How are the Brewers not leading that 'heavy stat' for the highest average weight? Over the rain outs I watched a few Brewers games and still can't get over how much of a fat **** Fielder is. I know it works for him, but how can a pro athlete be that wide? He gave up meat, it should've been pizza...

guillensdisciple
09-17-2008, 07:40 AM
They won't have Sabathia. They won't have Sheets. They may not have a few other guys. I think they saw this year as a very small window of opportunity, and that's why they've fired Yost now instead of the end of the season, because if they can't pull it together to get into the playoffs and make some noise, they probably won't get the chance again for a while. Firing a manager with two weeks left in the season is a sign of desperation.

Actually change that. I was listening to the radio and they were saying how they are fielding trades for Prince Fielder and some other young players. What a shame; I thought the brew crew would be a fun team to watch come October.w

soltrain21
09-17-2008, 10:21 AM
How are the Brewers not leading that 'heavy stat' for the highest average weight? Over the rain outs I watched a few Brewers games and still can't get over how much of a fat **** Fielder is. I know it works for him, but how can a pro athlete be that wide? He gave up meat, it should've been pizza...

I think that only lasted like three weeks.

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Actually change that. I was listening to the radio and they were saying how they are fielding trades for Prince Fielder and some other young players. What a shame; I thought the brew crew would be a fun team to watch come October.wI've heard the same thing on XM Home Plate, but the trades are for next year. That's what I was referring to when I said "they might not have some other guys."

FedEx227
09-17-2008, 12:57 PM
They can't financially or defensively support both Ryan Braun and Prince Fielder. Trading LaPorta helps, but I still feel eventually they have to make a decision one or the other.

And I'd really like to see them retain a majority of the same team, because something in me still says if they can stay healthy they can make a good run... it's pretty sad.