PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else irrated by the ESPN game announcers last night?

JackK
09-15-2008, 12:14 PM
I though the game announcers last night were terrible. How many times did we hear about the NL wild card race, about the brewers fading, etc? I swear, at least 20 times.

Do they think the average person only watches a half an inning and need to repeat the same story? Its not even relevant at all to the game at hand, for either sox or tigers fans. At least they could talk about the AL or potential matchups in the postseason.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
You obviously don't watch ESPN baseball often. LOL

They are terrible. I didn't really watch the game much except for flipping between ESPN, WGN, and NBC, but they really do suck.

Daver
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I always enjoy watching a Sox game without having to listen to Ken Harrellson.

aryzner
09-15-2008, 12:49 PM
I was not irate because it was more or less exactly what I expected from an ESPN broadcast.

stl_sox_fan
09-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Joe Morgan was actually making the case for Alexei as Rookie of the Year at one point.

TDog
09-15-2008, 01:00 PM
It is rare for me to get the opportunity to see a game live on television. I have probably been to as many Sox games in person this year than I have seen on television, and I live California's Central Valley. I didn't have any problem at all with the announcers Sunday night. I thought Jon Miller and Joe Morgan were excellent analysts, although they made a few mistakes that anyone who bases opinions on statistics would make.

Cutting away from the game was disappointing, but it was a national telecast following a national sports story. The football updates were exponentially more annoying than discussion of the NL wild card. On my car radio Sunday afternoon, as the Giants were beating the Padres, the Giants announcers were talking about the AL Central race. I don't mind baseball discussions in baseball games.

Frankly, although Joe Morgan has said a few stupid things that can be amplified by his arrogance, he isn't a bad baseball analyst. Jon Miller is a very good baseball announcer. They brought me the 2005 World Series, and I had no complaints. I had no complaints last night. I don't see what people are whining about.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:18 PM
I thought the worst game to watch on ESPN was the last Rays/Red Sox game. Rick Sutcliffe was just abysmal.

Lefty34
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM

That and watching ESPN baseball coverage, you can get giddy to Joe Morgan bashing 'Moneyball' and saying that Billy Beane and his cronies subscribe to all that "hogwash".

KenBerry
09-15-2008, 03:30 PM
I too was cutting between ESPN and WGN. A no- no is a no-no and at that time I thought the Sox had the game in the bag with a 7-0 lead. :o:
In any case, I can listen to Jon Miller all day long. I have a thing for voices and he has a voice that is easy on the ears. He loves the game and that comes across. I like him as much as I did Rooney before he bailed on the Sox for St. Louis. Morgan is annoying but no more so than most analysts. The story of the Brewers fading must have some merit. After all, they fired Yost even though they are still leading the NL Wildcard.

FedEx227
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM

It is nice to have a stike called and not have to hear Hawk bitch for 40 minutes about the umpiring crew.

kitekrazy
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
You obviously don't watch ESPN baseball often. LOL

I think it's a good rule of thumb just to avoid ESPN.

Woofer
09-15-2008, 03:39 PM
I was at the game last night, so I didn't get to watch the game on TV. I was in the gift shop which happened to be just as Zambrano was getting the no-hitter. So I guess I was lucky on two fronts. I didn't have to hear about the Cubs, and didn't have to watch ESPN either.

BainesHOF
09-15-2008, 03:49 PM
I thought Miller and Morgan were excellent as usual. Morgan in particular usually says a lot of nice things about the White Sox.

It's standard practice for network announcers to delve into other topics once the score becomes lopsided in order to keep the interest of a national audience.

roylestillman
09-15-2008, 04:00 PM
I'll take Miller and Morgan over Fox and Buck any day.

KenBerryGrab
09-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Morgan says more silly things than you can count, but that's not unusual for an ex-player.

What I like about the ESPN broadcasts are the shots they get around the park. They really give you the feel of a place, and our park looks fabulous!

Rdy2PlayBall
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Arn't they the guys who announce MLB 2k7? :?: And all of them, idk, I only have 7.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 04:07 PM
Easily the greatest game I ever saw on television was watching the White Sox series in Dodger Stadium against LA. Watching a Sox game called by Vin Scully is heaven.

Frontman
09-15-2008, 05:04 PM
I can handle Miller, its Morgan I can't stand.

"I don't think its too fun for Kenny Rogers right now," Morgan pipes up when Miller points out how the fans at Comiskey/US Cellular enjoy singing "Na na na na" when a pitcher is pulled.

Then again, I couldn't stand that idiot when he said, "How can the Sox be the World Champions because they didn't play in the World Baseball Classic?"

Daver
09-15-2008, 05:36 PM
That and watching ESPN baseball coverage, you can get giddy to Joe Morgan bashing 'Moneyball' and saying that Billy Beane and his cronies subscribe to all that "hogwash".

Where have I ever mentioned being a fan of Joe Morgan, anywhere?

Do not put words in my mouth, it never results in good things.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Morgan is such an idiot. They showed he and Miller debating the Longoria vs. Ramirez case for ROY. Morgan was so befuddled that any statistic but batting average mattered.

Lefty34
09-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Where have I ever mentioned being a fan of Joe Morgan, anywhere?

Do not put words in my mouth, it never results in good things.

I never said that you were a fan of Morgan. I jokingly implied that you might enjoy watching the willful ignorance of statistics unfold on national television. It was a joke, no words were placed in your mouth, and in fact, I would never want to place anything in or near your mouth...ever.

Brian26
09-15-2008, 06:35 PM
One way I judge a national broadcast is by how well the announcers are prepared. Jon Miller was exceptionally prepared last night, from talking about the Danks/Brandon McCarthy trade in detail to not-so-subtle references to the Sox bunting woes this year (ie asking Morgan if the Sox should even try to sacrifice bunt when they lead the world in homers). I always enjoy Miller and Morgan.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 06:38 PM
I can handle Miller, its Morgan I can't stand.

"I don't think its too fun for Kenny Rogers right now," Morgan pipes up when Miller points out how the fans at Comiskey/US Cellular enjoy singing "Na na na na" when a pitcher is pulled.

Then again, I couldn't stand that idiot when he said, "How can the Sox be the World Champions because they didn't play in the World Baseball Classic?"
http://www.firejoemorgan.com

StillMissOzzie
09-15-2008, 10:12 PM
One way I judge a national broadcast is by how well the announcers are prepared. Jon Miller was exceptionally prepared last night, from talking about the Danks/Brandon McCarthy trade in detail to not-so-subtle references to the Sox bunting woes this year (ie asking Morgan if the Sox should even try to sacrifice bunt when they lead the world in homers). I always enjoy Miller and Morgan.

Miller also said that Jenks got a save in game 1 of the doubleheader. :rolleyes:

SMO
:gulp: