PDA

View Full Version : Makeup game with Tigers

AZChiSoxFan
09-15-2008, 01:04 PM
I'm sorry for asking this because I'm sure it's been discussed, but I can't find specifically what I'm looking for.

What is the status of the makeup game with the Tigers?

Is MLB planning to cancel the Tigers-KC game next Monday and have the Sox and Tigers play on Monday, 9/22?

Would they play the game on Monday, 9/29?

Mr.1Dog
09-15-2008, 01:06 PM
I believe it's going to be on 9/29. My friend who had tickets was given an option for that game (the 29th), or an April game for next year.

sox1970
09-15-2008, 01:07 PM
9/29, if necessary.

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm sorry for asking this because I'm sure it's been discussed, but I can't find specifically what I'm looking for.

Is MLB planning to cancel the Tigers-KC game next Monday and have the Sox and Tigers play on Monday, 9/22?

I thought you had thrown in the towel on 2008 :tongue:

oeo
09-15-2008, 01:09 PM
Hopefully never, and instead we're on our way to TB or BOS. :cool:

nasox
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Anybody know if there are any other seasons where the Sox played less than the full schedule? Besides strike shortened seasons I guess.

itsnotrequired
09-15-2008, 01:15 PM
anybody know if there are any other seasons where the sox played less than the full schedule? Besides strike shortened seasons i guess.

1999. Last game of the season was called in the 7th with a 1-1 tie. So they started every game of the schedule but didn't "finish".

1997. Played only 161 games.

1989. Played only 161 games.

1988. Played only 161 games.

1980. July 26 game was called in the 6th, 1-1 tie.

AZChiSoxFan
09-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I thought you had thrown in the towel on 2008 :tongue:

Classic, I totally had that coming.

Sad
09-15-2008, 01:21 PM
what game are they / would they be making up on 9/29? Friday's? :scratch:
I had tix for Sat... they posted those could be exchanged for an April 2009 game... I assume they still can? or was that Friday's ticket?

I'm confused...

The Immigrant
09-15-2008, 01:23 PM

I thought you were done with this year's team? :wink:

EDIT: I didn't see that someone already called you out for this. Good to have you back.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:32 PM
what game are they / would they be making up on 9/29? Friday's? :scratch:
I had tix for Sat... they posted those could be exchanged for an April 2009 game... I assume they still can? or was that Friday's ticket?

I'm confused...
Basically you have an April 2009 ticket unless it was a ticket for yesterday.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 01:34 PM
Basically you have an April 2009 ticket unless it was a ticket for yesterday.
I was told my Friday ticket was able to be used for ANY game in 2009, except for the Cubs series and the home opener.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Hopefully never, and instead we're on our way to TB or BOS. :cool:

Please lord, let it be TB.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:40 PM
I was told my Friday ticket was able to be used for ANY game in 2009, except for the Cubs series and the home opener.
If that's the case, then that's awesome.

I kept hearing some were only April 09, some were whole season except Cubs/opening day.

Moses_Scurry
09-15-2008, 01:42 PM
So what happens if the game turns out to be necessary and the game results in a tie for the division lead? I assume they will push the playoff series back a day.

doublem23
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
So what happens if the game turns out to be necessary and the game results in a tie for the division lead? I assume they will push the playoff series back a day.

Cross country doubleheader!

There's enough off days crammed into the baseball play-off schedule, I'm sure they'll work something out. :cool:

TDog
09-15-2008, 01:48 PM
Anybody know if there are any other seasons where the Sox played less than the full schedule? Besides strike shortened seasons I guess.

It's actually quite common for at least a couple of teams to play less than a full schedule in seasons that aren't strike shortened. This year, a game between the Orioles and A's won't be made up. The 1974 White Sox finished at 80-80, but played 163 games because there were three ties along the way, only one of which was replayed. Some seasons, first-place teams don't play full schedules, but it is rare that a team in a close race doesn't play a full schedule.

The 1973 Mets finished with 82 wins and 79 losses. They only played 161 games before winning the NLCS and losing to the A's in the World Series. The Cardinals that year finished 81-81. The Mets went into the last rainy Sunday in the season facing a rain-makeup doubleheader with the Cubs, who were four games out in fifth place. The Mets won the opener, clinching the division, and the second game was canceled.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 01:48 PM
They'd most likely give the Sox the late-starting series, as there always seems to be one in the divisional series round.

AZChiSoxFan
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
I thought you were done with this year's team? :wink:

EDIT: I didn't see that someone already called you out for this. Good to have you back.

Thanks! Sorry for the stupid post last night. :redface:

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 02:05 PM
The Sox have covered this in their official info press releases (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3473838&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws).

If you have Saturday 9/13 tickets, they are good for the Monday 9/29 game, if that game is needed. If the game is not needed, they will announce an exchange policy. I would guess that it will be the same as the Friday 9/12 game, (any 2009 game except Opening Day and the Cubs), but you have to wait for their official press release. As of right now, the tickets are only good for 9/29.

TDog
09-15-2008, 03:33 PM
The only way the game will be made up is if the Sox finish the series with Cleveland either a half-game up on the Twins or a half-game down on the Twins. Either they will have a chance to win a game to force a home playoff game against the Twins or they would have to avoid losing to force a home playoff against the Twins.

You look at the lost column because those are games you can't make up. Having one game less on the schedule that will only be played if the Sox are even or up one in the loss column on that last Sunday isn't such a bad thing.

The possibility of bringing the Tigers back after the season to play one last game is preferable to forcing it into the schedule before then. Playing the doubleheader Sunday in Chicago and postpoining the remaining scheduled game from the series to an if-needed basis is preferable to having those games moved to Milwaukee or some other dry place. (It hasn't rained in Central California in ... I can't remember the last time I've seen rain, but I'm sure it was this year.)

Noneck
09-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Playing the doubleheader Sunday in Chicago and postpoining the remaining scheduled game from the series to an if-needed basis is preferable to having those games moved to Milwaukee or some other dry place. (It hasn't rained in Central California in ... I can't remember the last time I've seen rain, but I'm sure it was this year.)

Playing is the operative word here. Possibly playing a 3 game series after the season is over should never have been an option.

TDog
09-15-2008, 03:47 PM
Playing is the operative word here. Possibly playing a 3 game series after the season is over should never have been an option.

Of course it would have. The liklihood of the games being necessary would be increased, but it would have been hilghly unlikely that all of the games would ahve been necessary. Baseball should have put off the Cubs-Astros series to the end of the season as well. They likely wouldn't have been necessary at all. if the Cubs hadn't been involved, they wouldn't be playing those games in Milwaukee. Moving games like that makes baseball something of a traveling circus.

Noneck
09-15-2008, 03:50 PM
Moving games like that makes baseball something of a traveling circus.
And playing 3 games after the season end and then proceeding to the post season is a certain death sentence.

TDog
09-15-2008, 04:27 PM
And playing 3 games after the season end and then proceeding to the post season is a certain death sentence.

You have no basis in reality for that assumption.

First of all, the chances of playing three games is unlikely. Secondly, you probably have your regular pitchers pitching in regular rotation. By the time you get to the postseason, the other team might be better rested. Sometimes that is good. Sometimes that is bad.

Thirdly, consider the Angels of 2005. Playing on the road against a well-rested White Sox team, which led the league in regular season wins, playing in their third city in three nights, with cross-county travel involved, the Angels won game one of the first game of the ALCS. They nearly forced extra innings in the second game in Chicago. It was not until after both teams went to California after a day off that the White Sox dominated the series.

Edit: I might also add that in 1959, before I followed baseball, the White Sox finished the season but had to wait to play in the World Series because the Dodgers and Milwaukee Braves were playing a three-game playoff series to determine who would represent the National League. The Dodgers needed only two games to beat the Braves and only six games to beat the well-rested White Sox.

Noneck
09-15-2008, 04:53 PM

First of all, the chances of playing three games is unlikely. Secondly, you probably have your regular pitchers pitching in regular rotation. By the time you get to the postseason, the other team might be better rested. Sometimes that is good. Sometimes that is bad.

Thirdly, consider the Angels of 2005. Playing on the road against a well-rested White Sox team, which led the league in regular season wins, playing in their third city in three nights, with cross-county travel involved, the Angels won game one of the first game of the ALCS. They nearly forced extra innings in the second game in Chicago. It was not until after both teams went to California after a day off that the White Sox dominated the series.

Edit: I might also add that in 1959, before I followed baseball, the White Sox finished the season but had to wait to play in the World Series because the Dodgers and Milwaukee Braves were playing a three-game playoff series to determine who would represent the National League. The Dodgers needed only two games to beat the Braves and only six games to beat the well-rested White Sox.

My basis is wearing out a pitching staff prior to the playoffs. And what is your basis that moving a team to a neutral site is bad for the club? Also what is wrong with a carnival atmosphere, the cubs and their fans seem to enjoy it in Milwaukee and I heard no complaints from the astros prior to the series.

First of all, the chances of playing three games is unlikely.

Unlikely yes but not worth the possibility.

This can not compare to playing possibly 4 games (the make up series and a div playoff game) in 3 days and then proceeding to a playoff series.

This was prior to the current playoffs which now entail 2 playoff series prior to the Series. The stress put on the Dodger staff may not have shown but would be more likely to show if they had 2 playoff series prior to the Series with the Sox.

I can see that no matter what I or anyone says will change you opinion and there is nothing that you have said that will change mine.

Iwritecode
09-15-2008, 05:14 PM
I heard no complaints from the astros prior to the series.

Seriously? I've read tons of complaining even before the final decision was made that they didn't want to play in Milwaukee.

TDog
09-15-2008, 05:44 PM

I can see that no matter what I or anyone says will change you opinion and there is nothing that you have said that will change mine.

And your opinion is based on conjecture while my opinion is based on watching decades of baseball. The Topps baseball card I have on my desk sealed in plastic of Walt "No-Neck" Williams, wearing a flapless batting helmet with a brim insted of a bill, looking more suited to the trenches of World War I, is old enough that I am guessing you have similar experience in watching baseball.

In any case, there is no control to prove either of us right or wrong. Most likely, the White Sox will not need to play the Tigers in that last game and will not need to play the Twins the next day and will not advance to the World Series. The true odds (not the gambling odds) are against any team making it to the World Series. If that is the case, there is no way of knowing if a White Sox team that had to win Monday, and had to win Tuesday and had to beat the Twins on Wednesday didn't sweep three games in the ALDS, survive the ALCS and go on to win the World Series. Conversely, there is no way of knowing if a Sox team needing the playoff to get to the postseason before losing the ALDS would have lost anyway. Baseball is played by human beings, not by computers. Unless this is being done in some alternate universe, we only get the one crack at it.

I can understand why people are afraid of postponing the postseason, despite the fact that the National League used to always have best of three playoffs to determine league ties in the old days with the entire month of October ahead and only two teams playing. I can understand why people make such assumptions.

However,such assumptions are conjecture. They have no basis in reality.

Noneck
09-15-2008, 06:43 PM
And your opinion is based on conjecture while my opinion is based on watching decades of baseball. The Topps baseball card I have on my desk sealed in plastic of Walt "No-Neck" Williams, wearing a flapless batting helmet with a brim insted of a bill, looking more suited to the trenches of World War I, is old enough that I am guessing you have similar experience in watching baseball.

In any case, there is no control to prove either of us right or wrong. Most likely, the White Sox will not need to play the Tigers in that last game and will not need to play the Twins the next day and will not advance to the World Series. The true odds (not the gambling odds) are against any team making it to the World Series. If that is the case, there is no way of knowing if a White Sox team that had to win Monday, and had to win Tuesday and had to beat the Twins on Wednesday didn't sweep three games in the ALDS, survive the ALCS and go on to win the World Series. Conversely, there is no way of knowing if a Sox team needing the playoff to get to the postseason before losing the ALDS would have lost anyway. Baseball is played by human beings, not by computers. Unless this is being done in some alternate universe, we only get the one crack at it.

I can understand why people are afraid of postponing the postseason, despite the fact that the National League used to always have best of three playoffs to determine league ties in the old days with the entire month of October ahead and only two teams playing. I can understand why people make such assumptions.

However,such assumptions are conjecture. They have no basis in reality.

Our conversation on both sides was based on conjecture not reality, I am glad it was that way because I did not want to proved correct. Yes , I go back a long way also but your memory is much better than mine and you, Lip and a few others make me remember the things I forgot. Thank you.