PDA

View Full Version : Schedules this week (Sox/Twins)

jabrch
09-15-2008, 11:57 AM
Twins have 3 @ Cleveland, including a Cliff Lee game, followed by 4 @ Tampa.

We have 4 @ NYY and 3 @ KC.

That favors us - heading into the big 3 game set in Minny.

I've got my fingers crossed. I'd love to gain a few games of ground heading into Minny so the pressure tightens up even more on them.

whitesox901
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
Im guessing Sox split series and Twins win theres

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a bad feeling about that KC series. I have no idea why. I think we'll take 3 of 4 at Yankee Stadium though.

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 12:17 PM
There's no reason that the Sox should not go 4-3 and if they play well at all 5-2. They should be able to gain atleast one more game before they get to Minny.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
I see the Sox going 3-1 in NY and 2-1 in KC, while Minnesota goes 2-1 in Cleveland and 1-3 in Tampa, meaning we gain 2 games on them.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
I think the Sox will split vs NYY and take 2 of 3 in KC

4-3 for Sox

The Twins will go 2-1 in Cle and split 2-2 vs TB

4-3 Twins.

Then in that Min series we have to go there an NOT GET SWEPT. We take 1 of 3 we should be fine for that final series.

If we don't go at least 4-3 in these coming 7, I hate to say it, we will lose the division.

hawkjt
09-15-2008, 12:38 PM
Tonite games are huge for both twins and sox. Both face a call-up pitcher that was very impressive in their debuts. Scott Lewis of Cleveland came within a few outs of throwing a shutout his first start.
Acedo of the Yanks has been just as impressive.
Sox need to find a way tonite and hope the twins lose to lewis. Then the twins get Cliff Lee on Wednesday.
Sox face Petitt and Mussina...not good.

PorkChopExpress
09-15-2008, 12:44 PM
Cleveland is already not the same Cleveland we just faced. They are cooling down. Twins will take 2 of 3. While Tampa is good, they will have just played Boston, so I see a let down following that series. Twins will split, 2-2. That means they go 4-3.

I can see us splitting in New York and taking two of three in KC meaning we go 4-3.

Thus we arrive in Minnesota with a 1.5 game lead (2 in the loss column). We need to win at least one there, but I honestly believe we will win two. Then we just need to handle our business at home against Cleveland and we're in. This goes down to the wire.

PorkChopExpress
09-15-2008, 12:53 PM
Tonite games are huge for both twins and sox. Both face a call-up pitcher that was very impressive in their debuts. Scott Lewis of Cleveland came within a few outs of throwing a shutout his first start.
Acedo of the Yanks has been just as impressive.
Sox need to find a way tonite and hope the twins lose to lewis. Then the twins get Cliff Lee on Wednesday.
Sox face Petitt and Mussina...not good.

mlb.com says we are facing Acedo, Petitt, Hughes and Pavano. Is there some juggling expected so that we wind up facing Moose?

The Immigrant
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
mlb.com says we are facing Acedo, Petitt, Hughes and Pavano. Is there some juggling expected so that we wind up facing Moose?

Mussina pitched the day before Pavano, so it's odd that Pavano is listed as the starter for Thursday. He'd be going on short rest. I expect us to face Mussina on Thursday.

But, we've done well against Petitte and Hughes blows.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Mussina pitched the day before Pavano, so it's odd that Pavano is listed as the starter for Thursday. He'd be going on short rest. I expect us to face Mussina on Thursday.

But, we've done well against Petitte and Hughes blows.

Pavano left with an injury yesterday.

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 01:45 PM
I truly believe that the Sox can win 3 of 4 from the Yankees. They should win tonight and against Hughes and take another one. I'm also confident that they take 2 of 3 from KC.

I think that the Rays match up real well against the Twins and I think that they'll have a hard time getting a split in that series. And, they could easily lose 2 of 3 to Cleveland.

Baltimore's pitching just sucks right now. I think the Twins will have a much harder time scoring runs against these 2 teams. They could go 2-5 right here with the way their bullpen has been.

If the Sox could go 5-2, that could do it. And, I believe they will.

TDog
09-15-2008, 01:51 PM
Quality of the oppositiion has surprising little to do with how many games contending teams win. On their last roadtrip, the Twins, as we all know, after splitting with the Angels in a four-game series went 4-3 against two teams going nowhere. They came home, splitting six games against the Tigers and Royals, the AL Central-standings' equivalent to the A's and Mariners. Most people here expected the Twins to beat Liz on Sunday. Instead, Liz pitched more shutout innings against the Twins than either Vazquez or Danks did against the Tigers.

There are hot teams who can get in the way. The Blue Jays went 6-1 against the Twins and White Sox. There also are ice cold teams. Since the Orioles a couple of Fridays ago walked in four runs in the eighth inning before allowing a grand slam to Rajai Davis of the A's (of all people), their pitching has been abysmal. Still, the Twins didn't sweep. But many teams that are out of the race are going with callups who have something to play for and younger players with something to prove.

In 1967, a lot of White Sox fans were feeling confident that they would go to the World Series because they were finishing with five games against the lowly A's and Senators. The Sox lost all five and finsihed three games out of first. Had they split the doubleheader against Kansas City, and won two of three from Washington, they would have tied the Red Sox. Instead they finished in fourth place.

The Tigers didn't roll over and let the White Sox win a doubleheader Sunday. The Sox fought and earned those wins, first against a very good pitcher pitching a very good game and second against a scrappy team who didn't give up. The Tigers had won two of three in the Metrodome, coming from behind in both wins.

The White Sox need to go out and win. For the Twins to catch the White Sox, they would need to go out and win. It won't matter who they are playing. Whoever wins the Central will have earned it.

PorkChopExpress
09-15-2008, 01:53 PM
I truly believe that the Sox can win 3 of 4 from the Yankees. They should win tonight and against Hughes and take another one. I'm also confident that they take 2 of 3 from KC.

I think that the Rays match up real well against the Twins and I think that they'll have a hard time getting a split in that series. And, they could easily lose 2 of 3 to Cleveland.

Baltimore's pitching just sucks right now. I think the Twins will have a much harder time scoring runs against these 2 teams. They could go 2-5 right here with the way their bullpen has been.

If the Sox could go 5-2, that could do it. And, I believe they will.

I would love to see it play out that way, but I just think the Twins will do better than 2-5. However, if it does play out this way, then if we win in Minny, it will be a division clincher.

jcw218
09-15-2008, 02:11 PM
The White Sox need to go out and win. For the Twins to catch the White Sox, they would need to go out and win. It won't matter who they are playing. Whoever wins the Central will have earned it.

That's the key right there. The White Sox need to take care of their business and not worry about what the Twins do.

turners56
09-15-2008, 03:34 PM
Twins have 3 @ Cleveland, including a Cliff Lee game, followed by 4 @ Tampa.

We have 4 @ NYY and 3 @ KC.

That favors us - heading into the big 3 game set in Minny.

I've got my fingers crossed. I'd love to gain a few games of ground heading into Minny so the pressure tightens up even more on them.

KC is worse than Cleveland.
Yankees are worse than the Rays.

Yes, we do have an advantage. If we just play one game better than the Twins in this stretch, we'll have a safe lead going into Minnesota. Just win one of three there and we should be fine then.

jabrch
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
What COULD happen? We could gain 2-3 games on them and go into Minny with a chance to clinch.

What COULD happen? We could lose 2-3 games on them and be down going into Minny.

I'm not making any predictions - I'm thrilled to see the possibility this is presenting us. It's going to be two VERY fun weeks.

That said, I don't want to have to beat Cliff Lee in order to make it...