PDA

View Full Version : Twins Name New Ballpark- "Target Field"

Foulke You
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Didn't see this posted yet. Minnesota will have a "Target Field" to go along with the "Target Center". It can't open soon enough so that we never have to play at the hump dome again:

http://minnesota.twins.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080915&content_id=3479747&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

doublem23
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Target Field? Target Plaza? Should just change the name to the Minnesota Targets and get it over with.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I was totally expecting this too.

Target is a Minneapolis based company, and the new ballpark will be very close to the Target center.

I wonder if they'll mow a Target logo in the outfield

doublem23
09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I was totally expecting this too.

Target is a Minneapolis based company, and the new ballpark will be very close to the Target center.

I wonder if they'll mow a Target logo in the outfield

I see lots of potential for "hit it here" signs all over the OF.

Thigpen "57"
09-15-2008, 10:28 AM
I didn't see any mention of whether or not they will be changing their uniform scheme to red jerseys with tan pants!? :redneck

whitesox901
09-15-2008, 10:32 AM
target field? Target plaza? Should just change the name to the minnesota targets and get it over with.

:kneeslap:

AND! in the link theres a little nice aritical about Target.

Palehose Pete
09-15-2008, 10:44 AM
I guess it's better than Best Buy Field or United Health Care Stadium.

Not by much, though.

Whatever they name that place, it's still a dumb idea to not give the ballpark a retractable roof what with the crazy weather Minnie is known to have in the early spring. I'm not concerned about the fall weather up there as I really don't think October baseball will be much of a concern to the Twins. At least, I really hope it isn't.

SoxGirl4Life
09-15-2008, 10:55 AM
Oh, I wish they would have had a contest. I would've like to participate!

PaleHoser
09-15-2008, 10:58 AM
Looks like I have to stop shopping at Target.

09-15-2008, 11:20 AM
I'm sure they will have some kind of Home Run target gimmick now too.

Gammons Peter
09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
"The House that Punto Built"

ma-gaga
09-15-2008, 11:52 AM
Looks like I have to stop shopping at Target.

LOL.

Where else are you going to go? Walmart?? Cosco??

Thigpen "57"
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
I'm sure they will have some kind of Home Run target gimmick now too.

Still wouldn't be as bad as the ginat glowing milk jug IMO. Man I laughed my butt off when I went up there to see our Sox (who won that day) play. Minnie hits a homer and the jug started glowing. Gimme a break.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:59 AM
It could be worse, may I remember you where the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL play? The Jobing.com Arena. I can't make **** like this up.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 12:24 PM
It could be worse, may I remember you where the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL play? The Jobing.com Arena. I can't make **** like this up.
The BEST name for an arena was the former name of the home of the Nashville Predators. How fitting of a name it was. :D:

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
The BEST name for an arena was the former name of the home of the Nashville Predators. How fitting of a name it was. :D:
Did they change it? I remember it being "The Gaylord"

Max Power
09-15-2008, 02:39 PM
Did they change it? I remember it being "The Gaylord"

As of last season it is the Sommet Center.

I would say the previously mentioned Jobing.com Arena is the worst name. Though the stadium across the street from it, University of Phoenix Stadium, isn't much better. I miss historic Yahoo Search Engine Arena in Springfield.

turners56
09-15-2008, 03:28 PM
"The House that Punto Built"

To us, maybe. Or it could be "The House that Kubel built". That guy has made a living out of killing us.

munchman33
09-15-2008, 08:01 PM
I'm just going to call it "not the dome." Which is enough for me.

DumpJerry
09-15-2008, 08:04 PM
"The House Pohlad did not (want to) build."

Foulke You
09-16-2008, 12:41 AM
"Hostess Twinkee Field" would have had a nice ring to it.:tongue: Seriously though, the Twins could have done a lot worse than Target Field. Like US Cellular Field, the name is just kind've there. Some of these others listed in the thread are much much worse. One that sticks out in my mind is the "National Car Rental Center" where the Florida Panthers of the NHL play. It sounds like a place you go at the airport to pick up your car and not an arena.

scarsofthumper
09-16-2008, 01:21 AM
http://www.dickssportinggoodspark.com/

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-16-2008, 07:01 AM
Well good for them. They can sell shovels and salt during the Twins' home opener in April right there on the concourse....

What's the over/under before the team and the fans complain about open air and cold games? I give it less than 1 year.

eriqjaffe
09-16-2008, 08:51 AM
http://www.dickssportinggoodspark.com/The University of San Diego plays at the "Jenny Craig Pavilion".

downstairs
09-16-2008, 08:55 AM

What was it?

downstairs
09-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Well good for them. They can sell shovels and salt during the Twins' home opener in April right there on the concourse....

What's the over/under before the team and the fans complain about open air and cold games? I give it less than 1 year.

This is actually the first time I've heard that the thing isn't a dome or retractable. What the heck are they thinking, in MIN??!?

Luke
09-16-2008, 09:48 AM
This is actually the first time I've heard that the thing isn't a dome or retractable. What the heck are they thinking, in MIN??!?

They wanted it, money wasn't there though. I think the structure is designed so they can add one in the future if they get funding.

TwinKess
09-16-2008, 11:20 AM
Rumor has it that Target wont be renewing the naming rights for Target Center.

No, the new stadium is NOT roof-ready. It will always be an outdoor stadium.

Out-staters are ALREADY complaining about the lack of roof, which is ironic since they refused to put any money toward the stadium.

Ballpark web-cam: http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.php?id=1463&projectid=878&clientid=691

D'Sphitz
09-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Rumor has it that Target wont be renewing the naming rights for Target Center.

No, the new stadium is NOT roof-ready. It will always be an outdoor stadium.

Out-staters are ALREADY complaining about the lack of roof, which is ironic since they refused to put any money toward the stadium.

Ballpark web-cam: http://www.earthcam.net/users2/interface.php?id=1463&projectid=878&clientid=691

Yep, maybe the out-staters could pay for the roof they so desperately demand.

thomas35forever
09-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Still wouldn't be as bad as the ginat glowing milk jug IMO. Man I laughed my butt off when I went up there to see our Sox (who won that day) play. Minnie hits a homer and the jug started glowing. Gimme a break.
This reminds of the scene in Bull Durham where the bull in rightfield goes off when it gets hit.

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 01:23 PM
Let the nicknaming contest begin.

hellview
09-16-2008, 01:26 PM
http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/2629/2629701947fbb242e710042df42dcfc24b61b08.png

PKalltheway
09-16-2008, 01:49 PM
I thought the same thing, but then again, the Twins from 1961-1981 played outdoors, so it may not be all that bad.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 02:09 PM
This is actually the first time I've heard that the thing isn't a dome or retractable. What the heck are they thinking, in MIN??!?They are thinking that the taxpayers were (are) already pissed about paying for a stadium, and no way in hell were they willing to pay for a roof or the extra expense involved in having it be roof-ready.

Bobby Jenks
09-16-2008, 09:19 PM
I guess it's better than Best Buy Field or United Health Care Stadium.

Not by much, though.

Whatever they name that place, it's still a dumb idea to not give the ballpark a retractable roof what with the crazy weather Minnie is known to have in the early spring. I'm not concerned about the fall weather up there as I really don't think October baseball will be much of a concern to the Twins. At least, I really hope it isn't.

Minneapolis's weather can't be that much different that Chicago. I like the idea of no roof. Baseball should be played that way

getonbckthr
09-16-2008, 09:31 PM
Should have named i the "Piranha Tank."

TwinKess
09-17-2008, 10:18 AM
I'm thinking 'The Rock' because of all the Minnesota limestone that will surround the park.

Railsplitter
09-17-2008, 10:23 AM
http://img1.uploadhouse.com/fileuploads/2629/2629701947fbb242e710042df42dcfc24b61b08.png

It looks like it should be on a testing range for a smart bomb. :wink:

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Minneapolis's weather can't be that much different that Chicago. I like the idea of no roof. Baseball should be played that way
Temperature wise I'd say we are probably similar but I know for a fact that the state of Minnesota gets quite a bit more snow than we do. I have a feeling they will have a few snow outs in April games there at Target Field.

One impressive thing that I've heard for that stadium is that they'll have a bunch of heating blower units for the fans on the concourses to stay warm for those cold April games. As a Chicago fan who freezes on the concourse at The Cell during April games, I am envious.:cool:

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 11:03 AM
One impressive thing that I've heard for that stadium is that they'll have a bunch of heating blower units for the fans on the concourses to stay warm for those cold April games. As a Chicago fan who freezes on the concourse at The Cell during April games, I am envious.:cool:
They're doing that, because they won't want the fans to see the crap they're going to have on the field when that new ballpark opens, so they'll be on the concourse instead of in their seats.

Ohhh, Twinkies, no more artificial climate control to help you out!!! :D:

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:06 AM
They are most likely going to start off slow now. Not that they have jumped out to any commanding leads in the last 5 years or anything.

Iwritecode
09-17-2008, 11:39 AM

Obviously they'll only turn them on when the visiting team is up to bat so that it will help push any close homerun balls back onto the field.

:wink:

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 11:44 AM
Temperature wise I'd say we are probably similar...The Twin Cities has an "urban heat island" thing going that keeps it a little warmer than the surrounding area, but then so does Chicago. On any given day in the winter, Mankato runs about ten degrees colder than Naperville, so take that for what it's worth.