PDA

View Full Version : Orlando Hudson

I want Mags back
09-15-2008, 09:08 AM
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/features/column.aspx?sport=MLB&columnid=2&articleid=31146

COPYRIGHTED TEXT

that could work.

jabrch
09-15-2008, 09:41 AM
.282/.346/.433 and only 1 full healthy season in 7 years...

Limited power...limited speed...

Nice glove - but...

For all those who bitch about GIDPs, He has been in the top 10 in the NL two years in a row.

I wouldn't be in favor of a big contract for this guy. I just don't feel like he's much an improvement over Uribe or whatever we'd get for half the money. I'd rather spend the money on something big.

Law11
09-15-2008, 09:47 AM
whats the forecast on the #1 pick...
wouldnt this effect him coming up?

oeo
09-15-2008, 10:00 AM
whats the forecast on the #1 pick...
wouldnt this effect him coming up?

Beckham may end up being moved to third base.

khan
09-15-2008, 10:12 AM
In a gold glove-type of fielder? I'll take it. 2B is a defense-first position. Or at least it SHOULD be, though I doubt Kenny feels this way. [I wonder if Iguchi had an OBP like this when he was here.]

Who cares about the power? Given the one-dimensional nature of our lineup, I'd think that the team needs a little different look. I'd like to have a speedier team, but who is a proven commodity at 2b, WITH speed, and is available at a reasonable price?

Nice glove - but...
[Granted this is a subjective measure of defense, BUT...]Look at our error numbers. I'd like to have a few more players in the club who can catch the ball.

For all those who bitch about GIDPs, He has been in the top 10 in the NL two years in a row.
Agreed.

I wouldn't be in favor of a big contract for this guy. I just don't feel like he's much an improvement over Uribe or whatever we'd get for half the money. I'd rather spend the money on something big.

Aside from the occasional HR, what does Uribe do better than Hudson, offensively? Uribe's career BA and OBP are lower than Hudson's. Uribe's strikeout numbers are higher than Hudson's. Defensively, Uribe likely has the better arm, but we're talking about 2B, which makes the arm less of a consideration.

Without knowing who else is available in free agency or trade [at a good price], I'd still be interested in Hudson as our starting 2B, assuming that the contract is not ridiculous. This can give Beckham or [perhaps] Kuhl enough time to figure it out in the minors instead of rushing them up.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 11:58 AM
Beckham may end up being moved to third base.
Please no. That'd be terrible.

I'm not crazy about Hudson. He became much better once transitioning to the worst division in baseball.

I have no problem with his health issues -- seeing as we are undoubtedly the best organization in baseball when it comes to keeping guys healthy.

oeo
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
Please no. That'd be terrible.

You know enough about the guy to have that opinion? Unless you've seen him play quite a few times (a few CWS games don't count), I don't see how you could have that opinion.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 12:08 PM
You know enough about the guy to have that opinion? Unless you've seen him play quite a few times (a few CWS games don't count), I don't see how you could have that opinion.
Why would you move a guy who is adequate defensively up the middle to a corner spot? You're reducing his value by quite a bit.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 12:13 PM
Everything I've been told says Kenny is after this guy big time and has been for the past few seasons.

He doesn't want him for power, he wants him because he actually gives Ozzie (along with Figgins) the option to play the game the way he wants to...with balance.

Both guys have bat control, can work the hit and run and can advance runners along along with more speed then the team has right now.

Doesn't mean the Sox will get him and Figgins (or Figgins) but they are the targets this off season from everybody I've spoken with.

Lip

oeo
09-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Why would you move a guy who is adequate defensively up the middle to a corner spot?

To fit a need...

Their plans for next year should not be affected at all by Beckham. There's no guarantee he even makes it to the big leagues. If the middle of the infield is full, then Beckham will have to move.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 12:23 PM
To fit a need...

Their plans for next year should not be affected at all by Beckham. There's no guarantee he even makes it to the big leagues. If the middle of the infield is full, then Beckham will have to move.
Beckham is way, way more valuable up the middle than at third base. If he's as talented as has been discussed, you need to make room for him. Use chips to acquire a third baseman -- don't bother tinkering with Beckham's development.

oeo
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Beckham is way, way more valuable up the middle than at third base. If he's as talented as has been discussed, you need to make room for him. Use chips to acquire a third baseman -- don't bother tinkering with Beckham's development.

I never said to move him right now. But if in a year, he's looking close to ready and we have Alexei/Hudson (or whoever) up the middle, then he needs to move.

I agree there's absolutely no reason to move him right now, but that can change. Right now you keep him at SS and move him to 2B or 3B later.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 12:27 PM
I never said to move him right now. But if in a year, he's looking close to ready and we have Alexei/Hudson (or whoever) up the middle, then he needs to move.

I agree there's absolutely no reason to move him right now, but that can change. Right now you keep him at SS and move him to 2B or 3B later.
2B preferably. 3B don't grow on trees, but they are easier to come by than talents like Gordon.

munchman33
09-15-2008, 12:43 PM
Everything I've been told says Kenny is after this guy big time and has been for the past few seasons.

He doesn't want him for power, he wants him because he actually gives Ozzie (along with Figgins) the option to play the game the way he wants to...with balance.

Both guys have bat control, can work the hit and run and can advance runners along along with more speed then the team has right now.

Doesn't mean the Sox will get him and Figgins (or Figgins) but they are the targets this off season from everybody I've spoken with.

Lip

ding ding ding

munchman33
09-15-2008, 12:47 PM
2B preferably. 3B don't grow on trees, but they are easier to come by than talents like Gordon.

Why would they change his position? He's not long for the organization. It's only a matter of time before we spin him for Mark Kotsay.

Tragg
09-15-2008, 12:48 PM

Lip
He doesn't hit that well, though. He has to get on base for that stuff to work. If it's more of the "we like him because of how me makes his outs" stuff, pass.
We should have a lot of free agent money as long as cabrera rejects arbitration.

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 01:21 PM

Nice glove - but...

Agreed. He's a nice player but not worth that much. And, the Sox STILL have no leadoff hitter. Where does that come from?

And, seriously, how much better is a team with Hudson and Figgins if you still have Thome, Konerko, A.J., Dye, Swisher etc. ?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 01:30 PM
Much better for this simple reason, you've just increased your chances of winning a game on a night in April when itís 40 degrees out, when you are playing in Oakland where the foul territory is almost as large as the playing field or when youíre facing an off speed pitcher and heís giving the sluggers fits. A game here, a game there, could make all the difference in the world between playing the first week in October or making golf reservations. The Sox know that fact multiple times this decade.

The Sox have no trouble hitting home runs to win games. The issue is, and has been, what happens when they don't...9-30 this year alone should end any questions about the 'all or nothing' philosophy.

Lip

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 01:33 PM
Much better for this simple reason, you've just increased your chances of winning a game on a night in April when itís 40 degrees out, when you are playing in Oakland where the foul territory is almost as large as the playing field or when youíre facing an off speed pitcher and heís giving the sluggers fits. A game here, a game there, could make all the difference in the world between playing the first week in October or making golf reservations. The Sox know that fact multiple times this decade.

The Sox have no trouble hitting home runs to win games. The issue is, and has been, what happens when they don't...9-30 this year alone should end any questions about the 'all or nothing' philosophy.

Lip
We actually hit finesse pitchers way better than power pitchers, FYI. Though I agree Hudson would be ideal this offseason.

Who says he can't leadoff?

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 01:35 PM

Lip

It's not that I don't think Hudson would help. It' sjust that Roberts would help a lot more.

And, Figgins is best as a utility player not an everyday 3rd baseman.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 01:37 PM
Agreed. He's a nice player but not worth that much. And, the Sox STILL have no leadoff hitter. Where does that come from?

And, seriously, how much better is a team with Hudson and Figgins if you still have Thome, Konerko, A.J., Dye, Swisher etc. ?
A lot better, because now you have another way to win a ballgame. When the Sox are getting shut down, having a couple of guys that might be able to cut down on their swings to make contact, put down a bunt (either for a hit or as a sacrifice if the situation dictates it), and once on base cause concern for a pitcher who is in rhythm but now has to pitch out of the stretch and change his timing to home plate, really helps their chances.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 01:38 PM

Yeah, it really sucks to have above average offensive players in the lineup.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 01:54 PM
Laloosh:

Roberts would cost a lot more. To get Hudson all you need is cash...not players.

Lip

Jimmy Piersall
09-15-2008, 02:02 PM
Figgins & Hudson (if they can be had) would give us a MUCH better
top of the lineup than we have now.OC is a # 2 guy who has been
forced to lead off and our current # 2 on any given day is a guy who
belongs in the bottom three of a normal batting order.

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 02:03 PM
I'm ok if they sign him but I won't expect much difference unless they add a quality leadoff hitter as well.

And, where will that come from ? Figgins can't play any defensive position well.

And, I still fail to see how adding Hudson, a guy that doesn't steal or walk much but strikes out a good bit to the rest of this team of softball players will suddenly make this team the pirannhas.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 02:11 PM
Laloosh:

Roberts would cost a lot more. To get Hudson all you need is cash...not players.

Lip
Not entirely correct. If the Sox sign Hudson they lose their first rounder, probably in the mid-20's. If the Sox value a player in next year's draft that is expected to last that long higher than the players Baltimore wants back, then giving up several players they value lesser in a package for Roberts is the better option for them. Especially if those players are no longer part of their longterm plans.

Edit: Because of Baltimore's situation, they may want players who are closer than draft picks and would be willing to take a group of players who are ready now versus one draft pick. The benefit to that over a draft pick who is further is away is that, with their situation, they aren't going to be trading prospects very often, so in contrast to a team like the Sox that doesn't always care if their prospects pan out since there's a very good chance they'll break in with another organization, the O's DO need their prospects to turn out. Getting a package of young guys not only fills holes now but gives them better odds of coming up with a good player.

khan
09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
Not entirely correct. If the Sox sign Hudson they lose their first rounder, probably in the mid-20's.

Do you have a link for this? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't read that anywhere.

Anyway, if the scubs couldn't trade for Roberts [with their better minor league system than ours] how could we? Besides, I wouldn't trade the entire farm for a 34 year old 3B and a former steroid cheater who hasn't looked all that good against us.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 02:31 PM
Do you have a link for this? Not that I don't believe you, I just haven't read that anywhere.

Anyway, if the scubs couldn't trade for Roberts [with their better minor league system than ours] how could we? Besides, I wouldn't trade the entire farm for a 34 year old 3B and a former steroid cheater who hasn't looked all that good against us.
I couldn't provide a link even if I wanted to because the official Elias rankings deciding Type A players do not come out until after the season. But, Hudson is a virtual lock for Type A status which means that the team who signs him gives up either a first round pick (if they pick 16-30) or loses a second round pick (if they pick 1-15) and the D'Backs would get a supplemental first on top of that (if the signing team picks 1-15). Since the Sox cannot finish in the top 15 worst teams they'd lose their pick because the D'Backs will offer arbitration (1-year deal) and Hudson will deny it, as Hudson will probably make more than the arbitration figure in a multi-year contract through free agency.

khan
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
I couldn't provide a link even if I wanted to because the official Elias rankings deciding Type A players do not come out until after the season. But, Hudson is a virtual lock for Type A status which means that the team who signs him gives up either a first round pick (if they pick 16-30) or loses a second round pick (if they pick 1-15) and the D'Backs would get a supplemental first on top of that (if the signing team picks 1-15). Since the Sox cannot finish in the top 15 worst teams they'd lose their pick because the D'Backs will offer arbitration (1-year deal) and Hudson will deny it, as Hudson will probably make more than the arbitration figure in a multi-year contract through free agency.

And yet, with all of this, losing 1 pick <<<<<<<<<<< giving away the entire farm system to get a former steroid cheater and a 34 year old. Again, remember that MacPhail wanted more than the scrubs were willing to give up for the steroid cheater ALONE.

I'm guessing that MacPhail would ask for a LOT, even if it was less than what he wanted out of the scrubs.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 02:55 PM
And yet, with all of this, losing 1 pick <<<<<<<<<<< giving away the entire farm system to get a former steroid cheater and a 34 year old. Again, remember that MacPhail wanted more than the scrubs were willing to give up for the steroid cheater ALONE.

I'm guessing that MacPhail would ask for a LOT, even if it was less than what he wanted out of the scrubs.
The Sox don't have to "give up the farm" to get Roberts. They actually picked up some talent in this year's draft for once, and none of the players you'd call "the farm" for the Sox would be on the table - they can't be. Poreda is the closest one, but without the secondary stuff to start in the big leagues he's just a potential Matt Thornton, and he's not someone I'd be totally adverse to dealing to get us a true lead-off man for the first time since a few months of Kenny Lofton.

MacFail ****ed up in not taking the Cubs offer. He's at a point now where it is one draft pick that might do something in several years or a package of players now. Roberts didn't need to be there this year. The Orioles would have had no problem finishing in last place without him.

Now Roberts is worth a lot less than before with only one year remaining instead of two. MacFail will be forced to cave this offseason, and if he doesn't it will just set his team back further.

Roberts took roids. That part is hard to swallow and you can't defend that at all. However, just because he got busted doesn't mean he was one of a slim few players guilty. For all you know, one of your favorite Sox players might have at one time taken steriods (I'm not speculating BTW, just saying it is possible) and perhaps one of the players you'd like to see on this team next year also was an unknown roider. He's not Sosa or Bonds or anything, and he's certainly not the only one to do it, and it's not like the lack of roids is going to hurt his speed or defense, which are the main reasons we'd want him. If you still don't like the guy that's fine, but he is a good player.

NLaloosh
09-15-2008, 02:57 PM

That was for 2 years of Roberts and the problem was Angelos not wanting to part with his favorite player.

Baltimore will be much more inclined to trade him now a year from FA when they know he's going to leave that crappy team for sure.

Plus, the Sox can give them some payroll relief if they take Mora's contract. The Sox won't get better third baseman than Mora.

khan
09-15-2008, 03:35 PM
The Sox don't have to "give up the farm" to get Roberts. They actually picked up some talent in this year's draft for once, and none of the players you'd call "the farm" for the Sox would be on the table - they can't be.
How do you know this? For that matter, is there any evidence that Kenny would want Roberts? There is at least a modicum of evidence that Kenny wants Roberts in the team.

MacFail ****ed up in not taking the Cubs offer. He's at a point now where it is one draft pick that might do something in several years or a package of players now. Roberts didn't need to be there this year. The Orioles would have had no problem finishing in last place without him.
Agreed.

Now Roberts is worth a lot less than before with only one year remaining instead of two.
Agreed that his value is less than last season. But exactly what would you suggest in trade? I don't see a farm system that is replete with players that other teams would want.

Roberts took roids. That part is hard to swallow and you can't defend that at all.
I agree that he's a good player. But I'd rather that our favorite team not knowingly aid and abet the steroid era. This is one of many reasons why I'd rather sign Hudson than pick up a KNOWN cheater. [And yes, I'm still LIVID about Frank getting his MVP award stolen from him by ANOTHER KNOWN cheater.]

khan
09-15-2008, 03:38 PM
That was for 2 years of Roberts and the problem was Angelos not wanting to part with his favorite player.
OK, so you're going to assume that Angelos will settle for less in trade for his favorite player? Who would Kenny trade?

No offense, but your previous suggestions seem a little silly to me, BTW. Trading as much as you suggest for Roberts/Mora won't make the SOX a champion in 2009, and will cripple the team in 2009 and beyond. There will still be a hole in the starting 5, there will still be some holes in the bullpen. There will still be a hole in CF. Oh, and if the SOX trade as much as you suggest for Roberts/Mora, there will be little for Kenny to work with to add to the team in 2009 and beyond. God forbid if there is an injury in 2009, because you suggested trading away some of the club's injury insurance.

EDIT: Any trade for ONE of Roberts or Mora has to start with Fields and Poreda, PLUS a few more pieces. Remember that Fields' inability to catch the ball, and his abject lack of ability in hitting for average has made his trade value plummet. If WE know that Poreda is at-best Matt Thornton, I'm certain that any competent group of scouts know that, too.

So who else to add in? Richard? Broadway? Who?

Plus, the Sox can give them some payroll relief if they take Mora's contract. The Sox won't get better third baseman than Mora.

I think Figgins is a better 3rd baseman than Mora. He's faster, and younger, too. He's also [salary-wise] cheaper than Mora, if memory serves.

champagne030
09-15-2008, 03:43 PM

He missed a decent chunk of time this season and was out some last year too. You're sure he's a lock for the top 20% of 3B, SS and 2B. I haven't looked that close, but I don't know if I would call him a virtual lock.

Optipessimism
09-15-2008, 04:24 PM
How do you know this? For that matter, is there any evidence that Kenny would want Roberts? There is at least a modicum of evidence that Kenny wants Roberts in the team.

By "the farm" you're probably talking about a number of guys mostly out of this year's draft. Those guys have to stay with an organization for one full year before being traded, and that's after signing. Since Danks and Beckham, the big two, signed late, then I don't think we can even deal them as PTBNL's until around May or June or something.

OK, so you're going to assume that Angelos will settle for less in trade for his favorite player? Who would Kenny trade?

No offense, but your previous suggestions seem a little silly to me, BTW. Trading as much as you suggest for Roberts/Mora won't make the SOX a champion in 2009, and will cripple the team in 2009 and beyond. There will still be a hole in the starting 5, there will still be some holes in the bullpen. There will still be a hole in CF. Oh, and if the SOX trade as much as you suggest for Roberts/Mora, there will be little for Kenny to work with to add to the team in 2009 and beyond. God forbid if there is an injury in 2009, because you suggested trading away some of the club's injury insurance.

EDIT: Any trade for ONE of Roberts or Mora has to start with Fields and Poreda, PLUS a few more pieces. Remember that Fields' inability to catch the ball, and his abject lack of ability in hitting for average has made his trade value plummet. If WE know that Poreda is at-best Matt Thornton, I'm certain that any competent group of scouts know that, too.

So who else to add in? Richard? Broadway? Who?

I think Figgins is a better 3rd baseman than Mora. He's faster, and younger, too. He's also [salary-wise] cheaper than Mora, if memory serves.

There's not a whole lot it would take to cripple the farm, but as I said above, most of those guys are from this year. Then you have Jose Martinez who lost more than half of the season due to injury, and I haven't heard any updates at all on him, even including the severity of injury. He might not even be the same prospect he was. Then there's Shelby mainly, and he's a very nice player, but not like a superstar prospect or anything. Nice player though. And then you've got Poreda who doesn't have the stuff to start at a high level, and then there's Fields, who isn't a prospect anymore but has the highest ceiling of them all IMO and seems out of the Sox plans. You've got some interesting arms like Nevin Griffith and Anthony Carter, neither of whom should be untouchable, then there's Getz, who could be a nice pick-up for someone too, but he's no great prospect. There's Richard who is alright, and then there's a pretty big drop-off after that until you start talking about the 2008 draft class. Of those guys mentioned, the only ones I'd be worried about losing are Fields, Shelby, and possibly Martinez. But again, who knows about Martinez, Fields probably isn't in the plans, and Shelby is certainly worth giving up to seriously improve the MLB team. There's nothing here that would cripple the farm. If you think there is, then you're admitting the farm is already crippled.

I agree on Figgins being a better 3B than Mora. But, if picking up Mora not only fills a hole but also makes Roberts cheaper, which as you mentioned saves another prospect for another potential deal, then it could be a great move. Especially if Juan is back as a UT player.

He missed a decent chunk of time this season and was out some last year too. You're sure he's a lock for the top 20% of 3B, SS and 2B. I haven't looked that close, but I don't know if I would call him a virtual lock.

I said the virtual lock part because I read something where some guy who claims to have cracked Elias' code named him Type A. Maybe I went too far by saying that, but it appears he should be Type A. The link is here (http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/08/projected-elias-rankings.html) if you want to check it out. You have to scroll down the page to NL 2B.

Craig Grebeck
09-15-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm ok if they sign him but I won't expect much difference unless they add a quality leadoff hitter as well.

And, where will that come from ? Figgins can't play any defensive position well.

And, I still fail to see how adding Hudson, a guy that doesn't steal or walk much but strikes out a good bit to the rest of this team of softball players will suddenly make this team the pirannhas.
Hudson actually walks at a rate close to Roberts. Hudson also strikes out less -- so that kinda throws off your argument.

Also -- why do we want to turn our team into piranhas? I don't see how adding Figgins/Hudson or some combination of similar players will not change our offense. OBP is what matters most at this stage, and that's something Figgins and Hudson can contribute.

champagne030
09-16-2008, 10:34 AM
I said the virtual lock part because I read something where some guy who claims to have cracked Elias' code named him Type A. Maybe I went too far by saying that, but it appears he should be Type A. The link is here (http://tigers-thoughts.blogspot.com/2008/08/projected-elias-rankings.html) if you want to check it out. You have to scroll down the page to NL 2B.

I wasn't aware that Elias extrapolated stats for missed time on the DL. That seems like a pretty ****ty thing to do, since a player who is hurt all the time can be considered more valuable than a far better player.

And I sure hope that guys projections are wrong or else Elias uses a completely bull**** formula to create player rankings if Chris Snyder is considered more valuable catcher than Brian McCann.

Gammons Peter
09-16-2008, 10:52 AM
some of you people need to let the steroid issue go, I'm betting that most players took some form of roids

Britt Burns
09-16-2008, 11:29 AM
No...he is essentially OC but at second base, and I don't think there is a lot of desire to bring him back.

guillensdisciple
09-16-2008, 11:42 AM
I would love to see Hudson at second and Alexei. We would have to be patient because Ramirez might need to get adjusted to short but that is his natural position.

The sox need to fill the one spot in the batting order so if there is a way they can get Chone Figgins a batting line up of Chone first Hudson second and our power guys after would be unstoppable. Ozzie could finally mix and match power with "ozzie ball".

jabrch
09-16-2008, 12:21 PM

You know what they say about opinions....

jabrch
09-16-2008, 12:35 PM
Figgins & Hudson (if they can be had) would give us a MUCH better
top of the lineup than we have now.OC is a # 2 guy who has been
forced to lead off and our current # 2 on any given day is a guy who
belongs in the bottom three of a normal batting order.

.291/.356/.389 is nice - but it just isn't THAT great. Lots of guys can put up those numbers. I wouldn't give up what Anaheim might want to get Figgins. Same with Hudson - he's had limited success and not been healthy. Why pay 4/44 for that?

If we are going to go out there and spend money on a FA or go and acquire someone via a trade, I'd like to see us actually get someone who will have a high impact on the club.

Furcal is available, right? If he's healthy (and that's a good question), he's actually an impact player who can hit.