PDA

View Full Version : Lance Berkman: "There more going on here than just trying to get 2 Baseball games in"

sox57
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
Who's the idiot that set the houston astro's(who's battling for a play-off spot) home game against the cubs, in the stadium closest to chicago??? There was nothing available in calf. Or fla. ...new york?? It's bad enough for other teams playing the cubs to have half of the fans in their park be for the opposing team, but how many houston fans do you think were able to put their troubles aside and travel to milwaukee. They could have saved the cub fans the travel and just played the game in wrigley!! If i was the astro's, i'd be pissed.

It's Time
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM
You knew it was coming.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-080914-hurricane-ike-astros-cubs-milwaukee,0,3381864.story

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:49 PM
You knew it was coming.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-080914-hurricane-ike-astros-cubs-milwaukee,0,3381864.story

Let me point out to the stupid posts I read yesterday here that "it is impossible to move games to Milwauke in such short notice."

Almost 25,000 showed up at last notice and from what I saw the stadium was fully operational. So people did decide to show up to work and people did decide to show up to watch the game.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Houston got ****ed over royally, but you still have to play the game. That doesn't excuse their performance. I hope nobody on the Astros says "we wouldn't have been no-hit if we were at home." Playing in Milwaukee aside, this wasn't exactly the best situation for the lovable losers, either.

DumpJerry
09-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Berkman is a professional whiner.

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Who's the idiot that set the houston astro's(who's battling for a play-off spot) home game against the cubs, in the stadium closest to chicago??? There was nothing available in calf. Or fla. ...new york?? It's bad enough for other teams playing the cubs to have half of the fans in their park be for the opposing team, but how many houston fans do you think were able to put their troubles aside and travel to milwaukee. They could have saved the cub fans the travel and just played the game in wrigley!! If i was the astro's, i'd be pissed.

If if was the Astros I would have shown up for the 1st half of the season this year so that these games would have meant nothing to them because they would have a playoff spot locked down by now.

Same goes to the Sox if they decide to bitch about all the DHs, rainouts, and no days off once the season is over. Let's hope it doesn't come down to this.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 11:58 PM
Beakman > Berkman

DSpivack
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Houston got ****ed over royally, but you still have to play the game. That doesn't excuse their performance. I hope nobody on the Astros says "we wouldn't have been no-hit if we were at home." Playing in Milwaukee aside, this wasn't exactly the best situation for the lovable losers, either.

This was the ideal situation for the Cubs. I don't know that I disagree with Berkman; however, it is also not an excuse for getting no-hit. That said, they're playing two games that were originally scheduled to be in front of a home crowd and are suddenly playing in front of a hostile crowd, close enough to Chicago to be essentially a home game for the Cubs.

Also, where is it being played? Milwaukee. And what is the Astros situation right now? They are chasing the Brewers for the wild card, right now just 2 games back. Who benefits most from the Astros playing in front of a hostile crowd? The Cubs? Sure, directly, but they more or less have the division wrapped up. This benefits the Brewers moreso. I also would expect the Brewers to be compensated for the use of their ballpark and resources. The Brewers benefit on the field and off the field. And how was the decision made for the game to be played at Miller Park? From the Office of the Commissioner. And what team is he affiliated with? The Brewers. The Astros could have protested, sure, but it'd be Selig they'd be protesting to.

To say Miller Park is a neutral site is a joke. There are plenty of other places that these games could have been played.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:08 AM

Houston got ****ed and is being ****ed right now because they decided to take the entire 1st half of their season off.

Had they played baseball for those months, these games would have meant nothing to them because they would have locked up a play off spot with how hot they have played this second half.

DSpivack
09-15-2008, 12:10 AM
Houston got ****ed and is being ****ed right now because they decided to take the entire 1st half of their season off.

Had they played baseball for those months, these games would have meant nothing to them because they would have locked up a play off spot with how hot they have played this second half.

So, if we were chasing the Twins for a wild card bid and USCF was unavailable, you would be fine if we played 'home games' versus, say the division-leading Royals at the HumpDome?

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 12:15 AM
What's wrong with the Trop?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 01:02 AM
Folks:

Remember this comment from Sox executive Bob Grim in his WSI interview last month?

"I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.

Lip

TDog
09-15-2008, 02:23 AM
Let me point out to the stupid posts I read yesterday here that "it is impossible to move games to Milwauke in such short notice."

Almost 25,000 showed up at last notice and from what I saw the stadium was fully operational. So people did decide to show up to work and people did decide to show up to watch the game.

I don't think I ever said it was impossible to move Sox games to Milwaukee, just deeply stupid. It was a crime to move an Astros home game to Milwaukee. I posted as much before the game tonight.

You don't have to play the games. If at the end of the season, the games would have made a difference, you can play them at season's end. The Astros got screwed. Bettter they should have played the games in San Francisco than Milwaukee.

I'm quite happy the Sox didn't move games from the Tigers series to Milwaukee.

Ziggy S
09-15-2008, 03:58 AM
Berkman is flubsessed. He's more focused on the Cubs than he is on hitting the ball for his team.

SoxFan78
09-15-2008, 08:51 AM
What's wrong with the Trop?

The Trop is way too far for cub fans to travel!

PatK
09-15-2008, 08:59 AM
The games could have been played at Atlanta or Cincy.

I find it odd that they made the home team had to travel 1000 miles to get to the game while the away went less than 90.

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 09:10 AM
The games could have been played at Atlanta or Cincy.

I find it odd that they made the home team had to travel 1000 miles to get to the game while the away went less than 90.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 09:14 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

More or less sums everything up right there, even Astros management has no problem with that.

kraut83
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Not suprisingly, the game drew fairly well last night. Hopefully some of the proceeds are going back to hurricane relief in Texas.

PatK
09-15-2008, 09:33 AM
I know it's about the money.

But couldn't they have played in Arlington?

The funniest thing about this is Lou Pinella saying how the Cubs are inconvenienced by this as well.

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 09:38 AM

The funniest thing about this is Lou Pinella saying how the Cubs are inconvenienced by this as well.

Thats just the point, they could have played in multiple locations, especially ones better suited as a Houston "home" game. They chose however to play at a venue where they could all but garuntee they would draw 20k plus, and that is exactly what happened.

russ99
09-15-2008, 10:21 AM
Not suprisingly, the game drew fairly well last night. Hopefully some of the proceeds are going back to hurricane relief in Texas.

Hopefully McLane donates some of the cash that he's taking in for selling out his team for hurricane relief.

I didn't see a single Brewers or Astros fan in the crowd. Even the vendors were wearing Cub caps.

You can say that the Astros didn't do their job last night, but considering the distractions back home and the massively unfavorable (and unfair) conditions last night, you can't entirely blame it on player performance.

Enjoy your cheater no-hitter, Carlos.

BTW - that was a nice touch using the visitors clubhouse and road jerseys last night. The players protested the only way they can, other than winning the game.

munchman33
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
More or less sums everything up right there, even Astros management has no problem with that.

Actually, Drayton McClain spoke time and time again about how he was vehemently against it, and that the Astros were getting doubley punished. His first choice was to play in Houston, and his second through last choices were to play in states not ours or adjoining ours.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:03 AM
Hopefully McLane donates some of the cash that he's taking in for selling out his team for hurricane relief.

I didn't see a single Brewers or Astros fan in the crowd. Even the vendors were wearing Cub caps.

You can say that the Astros didn't do their job last night, but considering the distractions back home and the massively unfavorable (and unfair) conditions last night, you can't entirely blame it on player performance.

Enjoy your cheater no-hitter, Carlos.

BTW - that was a nice touch using the visitors clubhouse and road jerseys last night. The players protested the only way they can, other than winning the game.
I saw quite a few Brewers shirts out there last night watching the game. I watched a bit of the FSN Houston feed and they had mentioned that Houston had chose the visitors clubhouse because of familiarity since that's where they always dress. and as far as wearing only road uniforms, could just mean that the equipment manager wanted to take less baggage since that means taking at least 45 pairs of white pants and 45 home jerseys, since they'll be going straight to Miami and Pittsburgh after this.

rdwj
09-15-2008, 11:10 AM
Berkman is flubsessed. He's more focused on the Cubs than he is on hitting the ball for his team.

Clearly - he's only hitting .326 with almost 30 hrs and 100 rbis. He need to get his head in the game.

EndemicSox
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM

The Astros owner isn't whining, they got a big chunk of that cash, probably significantly more than what they would have received if the game was played in HOU. Both the Cubs and Astros had to fly in, and I'm not seeing a significant advantage for either team, as I think being comfortable in one's home setting is much more important than a bunch of drunken screaming fans cheering you on...

itsnotrequired
09-15-2008, 11:46 AM

Without fully knowing what Ike was going to do when it made landfall, it would have foolish to move the games just a couple hundred miles away.

How is this not an inconvienence for the Cubs? Today was supposed to be an off day for them.

PatK
09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
I forgot what the name of the show is with Skip Bayless, but I caught some of it and they are saying the Astros got totally hosed in this deal, and the players and management are not happy.

That's not an excuse for getting no-hit, but having the game where they are is far from a neutral setting.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Without fully knowing what Ike was going to do when it made landfall, it would have foolish to move the games just a couple hundred miles away.

How is this not an inconvienence for the Cubs? Today was supposed to be an off day for them.
But they got 2 and didn't have to play a doubleheader ;)

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I forgot what the name of the show is with Skip Bayless, but I caught some of it and they are saying the Astros got totally hosed in this deal, and the players and management are not happy.

That's not an excuse for getting no-hit, but having the game where they are is far from a neutral setting.
First Take? Or First & 10? I try to stay away from anything that Skip Bayless and Peter Gammons does. They're probably pissed that Zambrano got the no hitter and Dice-BB didn't get it.

I seriously wanna know what happened that they couldn't play it in Tampa. I can understand them wanting a dome just because of how unpredicatable weather is and it would be pointless to move a game to another city only for that game to get rained out too.

itsnotrequired
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
I seriously wanna know what happened that they couldn't play it in Tampa. I can understand them wanting a dome just because of how unpredicatable weather is and it would be pointless to move a game to another city only for that game to get rained out too.

Logistically, it wasn't possible, according to MLB.

DeadMoney
09-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Fairly well is an understatement. There is no doubt in my mind that the decision to play in Milwaukee was ALL about the $$$.

They were selling the seats from base-to-base for $140 apiece (first 10 or 15 rows). The 20 rows behind that were $60 apiece. If you wanted to sit anywhere else from foul pole-to-foul pole; $50+.

And, because it's Wrigley Field north, they had no problem selling those sections out.

The Astros owners could probably care less right now that their team got no-hit last night. For them, they made out pretty well.

On a side note, I have got to find a money-tree like Cubs fans seem to have.

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 12:58 PM
On a side note, I have got to find a money-tree like Cubs fans seem to have.

It's called a family trust fund. :D:

CubKilla
09-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Berkman's right. HOU is the home team for this series so I don't think it's completely ridiculous for him to state the game should have been played in the southern US instead of 90 minutes from Chicago.

HOU was clearly more inconvenienced by the change of venue than the Cubs were.

Chicken Dinner
09-15-2008, 03:57 PM
The Astros owner isn't whining, they got a big chunk of that cash, probably significantly more than what they would have received if the game was played in HOU. Both the Cubs and Astros had to fly in, and I'm not seeing a significant advantage for either team, as I think being comfortable in one's home setting is much more important than a bunch of drunken screaming fans cheering you on...

Cubs took a bus and there are a ton of drunkin blue Smurfs screaming there. Clearly a bone job for Houston.

manders_01
09-15-2008, 09:55 PM
I knew it was bad when the Rockies announcers were talking about the shaft that the Stros got for over five minutes during the broadcast tonight. :o:

Domeshot17
09-15-2008, 10:01 PM
I had this debate with a friend of mine, and he doesn't seem to get it. He is talking about how the Cubs have the best fans in baseball for going up to Milwaukee. It is not they have the best, just a ton of them.

You want my input, you have the Brewers failing fast again, and the Astros heating up. You think Selig didn't know the Cubs would take over Miller Park again? You think Selig didn't think they if the Astro's swept they might have the momentum to carry themselves into this race. Selig was looking out for the Brewers and his Wallet.

jonred
09-15-2008, 11:20 PM
I think the Astros brought a lot of this on themselves. Their owner was throwing a fit about losing the home games, despite the fact that a hurricane was coming and his city was being evacuated. If he had agreed with Bud and MLB to move the games on Thursday, maybe they could have found a more neutral site. When they waited until Saturday night, their options were limited. They also wanted to play in a dome to guarantee that the games would be played. I feel as bad as anyone, but there's no whining in baseball. Play the games.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:47 PM
I think the Astros brought a lot of this on themselves. Their owner was throwing a fit about losing the home games, despite the fact that a hurricane was coming and his city was being evacuated. If he had agreed with Bud and MLB to move the games on Thursday, maybe they could have found a more neutral site. When they waited until Saturday night, their options were limited. They also wanted to play in a dome to guarantee that the games would be played. I feel as bad as anyone, but there's no whining in baseball. Play the games.
THANK YOU!!

I think the only viable options would be Miller Park or the Hump

guillensdisciple
09-15-2008, 11:54 PM
It's called a family trust fund. :D:

I think for the most part Sox fans actually work for a living, whereas Cubs fans are born with money because their parents worked for a living. Their parents were probably sox fans too; either that or the coolest cubs fans that have ever existed.

Ahhh but that era is gone.

guillen4life13
09-16-2008, 09:29 AM
I think for the most part Sox fans actually work for a living, whereas Cubs fans are born with money because their parents worked for a living. Their parents were probably sox fans too; either that or the coolest cubs fans that have ever existed.

Ahhh but that era is gone.

I think it's a load of stereotypes and have no bearing on the current financial situations of the teams' fans. TBQH. Rich fans of both teams exist. There are just more Cubs fans than Sox fans, therefore more rich Cubs fans exist. I'm sure that, proportionally, they are about the same.

You just don't see them at the stadium because they're in the skyboxes and luxury suites...

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
There were other stadiums not hosting games this weekend. Poor planning on MLB's part here.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 01:57 PM
There were other stadiums not hosting games this weekend. Poor planning on MLB's part here.There was rain or threat of rain all over the place. You're not going to send both teams on an unscheduled trip to someplace where they might get rained out.

Madscout
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
This was the ideal situation for the Cubs. I don't know that I disagree with Berkman; however, it is also not an excuse for getting no-hit. That said, they're playing two games that were originally scheduled to be in front of a home crowd and are suddenly playing in front of a hostile crowd, close enough to Chicago to be essentially a home game for the Cubs.

Also, where is it being played? Milwaukee. And what is the Astros situation right now? They are chasing the Brewers for the wild card, right now just 2 games back. Who benefits most from the Astros playing in front of a hostile crowd? The Cubs? Sure, directly, but they more or less have the division wrapped up. This benefits the Brewers moreso. I also would expect the Brewers to be compensated for the use of their ballpark and resources. The Brewers benefit on the field and off the field. And how was the decision made for the game to be played at Miller Park? From the Office of the Commissioner. And what team is he affiliated with? The Brewers. The Astros could have protested, sure, but it'd be Selig they'd be protesting to.

To say Miller Park is a neutral site is a joke. There are plenty of other places that these games could have been played.
Word. They wanted a dome, and guess what dome was open, Toronto, which would have been straight up neutral.

pierzynski07
09-16-2008, 06:43 PM
Word. They wanted a dome, and guess what dome was open, Toronto, which would have been straight up neutral.
No one on the teams, save for those recently traded from the AL, had plans of going into Canada at all that year. Passport issues would have made it impossible to get 100% of the teams over the border with less than one day's notice.

DumpJerry
09-16-2008, 07:05 PM
No one on the teams, save for those recently traded from the AL, had plans of going into Canada at all that year. Passport issues would have made it impossible to get 100% of the teams over the border with less than one day's notice.
Excellent point. Also, I recall seeing radar images showing the Dallas/Ft. Worth area getting nailed b Ike, so Arlington was not a viable option.

chisoxfanatic
09-16-2008, 07:22 PM
They really could've used The BOB or any of the West Coast ballparks regardless of if the home team was home. It's not like those ballparks are in use 24/7 by the home team. If AZ has a night game on a Friday, for example, have a day game on that same day. If AZ has a day game on Saturday, have a night game on that same day.

The problem is their not working out a solution to this until Saturday night when they knew MMP wasn't available for the entire weekend.

Iwritecode
09-17-2008, 09:25 AM
They really could've used The BOB or any of the West Coast ballparks regardless of if the home team was home. It's not like those ballparks are in use 24/7 by the home team. If AZ has a night game on a Friday, for example, have a day game on that same day. If AZ has a day game on Saturday, have a night game on that same day.

The problem is their not working out a solution to this until Saturday night when they knew MMP wasn't available for the entire weekend.

They were really hoping they could get at least one game in Houston before the rain came. I really doubt any of them wanted to leave BEFORE it hit and just hope that their families and houses made it through OK.