09-14-2008, 11:26 PM
Yes!

kevingrt
Ozzie is a freaking genius.

And our bullpen blows.

soxfanreggie
Wise gives us a MUCH NEEDED DH sweep. I am glad we didn't blow this one. I feel bad that Danks doesn't get the W, but hopefully this will energize us even more and carry us to some wins in NY.

october23sp
09-14-2008, 11:27 PM
That was Nutty.

BringBackBlkJack
Whooo my throat is going to be sore tomorrow!!

Wise, you are the man!

Marqhead
I hate Dotel, but I love a White Sox win!

Go get those Yankee bastards tomorrow!

alohafri
Whew!

FielderJones
:winner
:twinslose

Scared the crap out of me, but all's well that ends well. Got our 1.5 back!

october23sp
ESPN talks about Cubs and *Click*

stl_sox_fan
Kudos on the thread title!

Too scary there for a bit. Nice they get to ride a big win right into another game instead of an off day(which seemed to be happening quite often).

Chisox353014
Just when you think you've seen it all...:thud:

Here's hoping the bullpen takes Mr. Wise out to dinner sometime soon.

BoysMom3
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM
I cried when Wise hit the granny, and I'm crying again now because of the win. We needed that!!! Yessssss!! Ok, admittedly, I cried when Zambrano got the no-no too. Hey! It's a Chicago team, and it's a great feat no matter what! It always excites me!

chisox117
Way to go, Sox!!!!!!!
:gulp::bandance::bandance::gulp:

rustysurf83
I hate Dotel, but I love a White Sox win!

Go get those Yankee bastards tomorrow!
I hate the Yankees....have fun with that Tendonitis Carlos.

TheOldRoman
It certainly shouldn't have come to that, but I jumped out of my chair and screamed when DeWayne hit his slam.

So, as terrible as Tuesday was (partly because we thought at the time Paulie was done for the year) with us losing 1.5 games, we gained 1.5 on the Twins today. The Magic Number is 13. Lets slap the Yankees and Royals around before heading into Minnesota.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-14-2008, 11:29 PM
I wasn't nervous about that game at all. We had it all the way.

Thank God for that win. OC, that was big getting on and Wise, you the man. Lets hope the pen has an awakening on the flight tonight.

chisoxfanatic
Wise is our Double-Header MVP today! That's the way you get things done on the South Side!!!

Danks should've gotten the win; but, I'll take wins any way they can come.

LoveYourSuit
This bullpen will NOT give us a chance to compete in the post season.

The only hope I have is if we can keep pulling these wins out of our ass and roll with this "never die" attitude.

Wise just punched his ticket to the play-off roster IMO.

Let's get them in NY.

turners56
You gotta feel bad for Danks, but oh well. Dweezy prevailed! Please, no more Boone Logan! Dotel should lose his 8th inning role. He has been terrible recently.

october23sp
Yes Yes Yes and GoodNight to all.

guillensdisciple
09-14-2008, 11:30 PM
Wise in left, we have found a solid replacement, the guy can do anything. Perfect number two hitter if you ask me. He can run, bunt, and hit... the real deal. He should be put in center next year. This guy looks good as hell right now.

Oh and anyone notice how they put the cubs game on espn... I don't get it, what about us?

JGarlandrules20
What do you take away from a game like that? Hah. I'm glad the sox prevailed. Way to step it up and pick up your team, DeWayne. They all needed that, most especially the 'pen.

Bring on the Yankees!

LoveYourSuit
ESPN talks about Cubs and *Click*
:rolleyes: Right, because a no hitter is no big deal.

Rdy2PlayBall
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/1720/whitesoxwinjr3.jpg
Wow... :thud:Horrible game, GREAT WIN! :bandance:

tstrike2000
Wow, was that the crappiest bullpen effort we've seen in a while. Wise is the friggin man though! We win, that's all that matters.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 11:31 PM
Note to self:

Play DHs against AMERICAN teams.

JB98
We've got some issues in the bullpen, but on the bright side, we've also got some guys stepping up for us.

Wise, Griffey, Anderson, even Owens getting that rally started in the eighth, all of them helped us today. Thome delivered a couple run-producing hits against a left-handed pitcher too.

And Danks and Thornton did their jobs. Don't discount how important it was for Matt to come out of that bullpen in the eighth and settle things down.

I'm sweating after watching this game. You can tell it's a tight pennant race. Keep battling, Sox. As long as they continue to give this effort, it will be OK.

chisoxfanatic
The only hope I have is if we can keep pulling these wins out of our ass and roll with this "never die" attitude.

Wise just punched his ticket to the play-off roster IMO.
I so agree with your statement regarding Wise getting a playoff roster spot if we make it. There's no reason not to include him. He's too important of a bench player.

The way we're going to win in October is with our starting rotation. Ozzie's gotta let them pitch their games and not turn the game over to the bullpen unless it's impossible for the starter to go any further.

guillensdisciple
The pen will be fine, once Linebrink gets acclimated we will have Thornton 7th. Linebrink 8th, and Jenks 9. That is some solid stuff.

Zisk77
Its unconscienable for Owens and wise to get at bats it a pennant race.

Almost 14 innings of scoreless ball by our starters...come on bullpen we need ya.

roylestillman
09-14-2008, 11:32 PM
I hate the Yankees....have fun with that Tendonitis Carlos.

Hey give the Yankees credit. They kept Farnsy long enough for him to blow a game against us, then traded him to Detroit in time for this. Wasn't Wise involved in both?

october23sp
:rolleyes: Right, because a no hitter is no big deal.

I hate the Cubs with a burning passion sorry.

WhiteSox5187
This bullpen is nothing short of awful. Just awful. They owe Danks how many dinners? Shame on them. If we do get into the playoffs we're not going to do a damned thing with this bullpen.

Great win, but the bullpen is very very discouraging.

LoveYourSuit
Wise in left, we have found a solid replacement, the guy can do anything. Perfect number two hitter if you ask me. He can run, bunt, and hit... the real deal. He should be put in center next year. This guy looks good as hell right now.

Oh and anyone notice how they put the cubs game on espn... I don't get it, what about us?

OK, let's not get Ross Gload crazy here.

There is a reason why the guy has been a journeyman all his career. He is a nice #4-5 OF to have, that's it.

veeter
Thank You Mr. Wise. The team is actually playing very good ball, aside from Swisher and Dotel. Javy and Danks' performances can't be lost in this. The rotation is looking good.

PeoriaSoxFan
The pen will be fine, once Linebrink gets acclimated we will have Thornton 7th. Linebrink 8th, and Jenks 9. That is some solid stuff.

I like your optimism and hope you are right.

turners56

And our bullpen blows.

Ozzie kind of created the whole situation tonight with bad bullpen management. I know it's a big lead, but Boone Logan, again?

AZChiSoxFan
09-14-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes, I am a gutless coward and a freaking idiot. :redface:

WhiteSox5187
Thank You Mr. Wise. The team is actually playing very good ball, aside from Swisher and Dotel. Javy and Danks' performances can't be lost in this. The rotation is looking good.
I wish it were just Dotel but it's the bullpen as a whole, even Jenks has looked shakey.

delben91
This bullpen is nothing short of awful. Just awful. They owe Danks how many dinners? Shame on them. If we do get into the playoffs we're not going to do a damned thing with this bullpen.

Great win, but the bullpen is very very discouraging.

I hate winning and wish to bitch about it with you.

Winning sucks, and I'm going to count all the ways it sucks.

october23sp
09-14-2008, 11:34 PM

We've all had our moments.

thomas35forever
09-14-2008, 11:35 PM
Dewayne ****ing Wise of all people is the hero. Unbelievable. I guess everyone in Chicago is happy today after the Bears choked.

Zisk77
09-14-2008, 11:35 PM

Tragg would have a heart attack...bat Owens clean-up and it would be fatal. :cool:

veeter
09-14-2008, 11:36 PM
I wish it were just Dotel but it's the bullpen as a whole, even Jenks has looked shakey.We need to just take this thing one day at a time. This team is very hard to figure out.

ChiSox89
09-14-2008, 11:37 PM
wow what a win

guillensdisciple

Every time I got down on the sox so far they have always shoved it straight up my ass. That is why as of last week I refuse to be a pessimist until they are out or in the playoffs.

The sox have every tool necessary to win and go far. The only problem is having that come together. If it does and today we say starting pitching and hitting amaze, the sox will be unstoppable. However, if there is a hole, like in the bullpen today the sox probably won't go far. You really can't win that many games in this type of fashion.

kevingrt
Ozzie kind of created the whole situation tonight with bad bullpen management. I know it's a big lead, but Boone Logan, again?

One guy pitched well out of the bullpen all day. What was Ozzie suppose to do use Thorton for three innings? So he brings in Dotel to start the 7th. And sucks. Carrasco sucked. Who do you want Ozzie to bring in? Logan only gave up one run. That was the second best performance from the bullpen tonight.

LoveYourSuit
I so agree with your statement regarding Wise getting a playoff roster spot if we make it. There's no reason not to include him. He's too important of a bench player.

The way we're going to win in October is with our starting rotation. Ozzie's gotta let them pitch their games and not turn the game over to the bullpen unless it's impossible for the starter to go any further.

I can see a re-play of the 2005 ALCS with the CG games. I'm just affraid that the young arms like Gavin and Danks are not capable of pulling off what that veteran staff did for us that year. Danks is a 6 inning pitcher at most.

The bullpen will be needed, and right now I don't trust them with a 5 run lead let alone a 1-2 run game (which is what post season becomes).

God I hope I'm wrong.

WhiteSox5187
I hate winning and wish to bitch about it with you.

Winning sucks, and I'm going to count all the ways it sucks.
:rolleyes:

kevingrt

Yes you are. But I love it still.

JB98

Not having a fifth starter puts Ozzie in a difficult position, though. You can't have starters throwing 120 pitches when you need them to come back on three-days rest.

Either you gamble on having Clayton Richard start a game, or you gamble with the gas cans we have in middle relief.

As it stands, the Sox will probably have to throw Richard on Wednesday in New York and bring Danks back on three days rest for Thursday.

TheOldRoman
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
OK, let's not get Ross Gload crazy here.

There is a reason why the guy has been a journeyman all his career. He is a nice #4-5 OF to have, that's it.True, but there are always guys having career years in their late 20s or early 30s. It wouldn't matter if Wise ends up being statistically the worst major league outfielder ever, he has helped us this year. At the rate he is playing, he would be an asset in the playoffs. That doesn't mean we should pencil him in for next year, though.

On another note, the Yankees' elimination number is 5. Tampa will win at least one game at home vs. Boston, and we have 4 against NY. Let's eliminate these ****ers.

34rancher
09-14-2008, 11:38 PM
These are the kinds of wins that bring teams incredibly together when a guy off the bench who you can tell that people genuinely like does something like this. That guy is pure enthusiasm and emotion that we lacked in corpse ball days. Congrats Dwayne!!! By the way, you gotta love it when guys step up when they get the chance. If TCQ is healthy, I am not sure Dwayne gets an AB there.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:39 PM
Not having a fifth starter puts Ozzie in a difficult position, though. You can't have starters throwing 120 pitches when you need them to come back on three-days rest.

Either you gamble on having Clayton Richard start a game, or you gamble with the gas cans we have in middle relief.

As it stands, the Sox will probably have to throw Richard on Wednesday in New York and bring Danks back on three days rest for Thursday.

Aren't there ample amount of off days in the playoffs where we starts won't need to be on short rest?

And considering we have like a 1a,1b,1c,1d starters, it shouldn't matter.

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:39 PM

I still don't know where this OG blame keeps coming from your guy.

The personel sucks, PERIOD.

And in a DH, you need to use all the arms you have.

This isn't Nintendo baseball guys.

OG is fine, THE BULLPEN SUCKS!

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:40 PM

Thank you!

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

But, as I recall, Danks was only at 95 pitches through 6. There's no way he would've been able to go any less than 2 batters in the 7th. The more our starters throw, the less our bullpen can effect the game. It's all hindsight right now, and thankfully, we won.

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:41 PM

Plan A is a no brainer here.

09-14-2008, 11:42 PM
I hate the Cubs with a burning passion sorry.

You said something about going to bed???

A. Cavatica
09-14-2008, 11:42 PM
DeWayne Wise >> Timo

CHISOXFAN13
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM

Ramirez has had a hell of a lot more success than Logan. I'd have used him.

But a win is a win and the number 13 looks real good right now!

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:44 PM
Aren't there ample amount of off days in the playoffs where we starts won't need to be on short rest?

And considering we have like a 1a,1b,1c,1d starters, it shouldn't matter.

Once we get to the playoffs, yes, everyone can go on regular rest and pitch deeper into games.

But for the rest of the regular season, it would be nice to shorten our starters up and just ask them to give six quality innings every four days. That way we can subtract Richard and Broadway from the rotation picture entirely. But some middle relievers are gonna have to step up for that to happen.

I feel good about Thornton. I know some people here don't, but I trust him. Dotel really needs to get his head out of his ass. He is ****ing KILLING this bullpen. Linebrink isn't healthy, and you can't rely on him. Dotel is the guy that HAS to get back on track and start helping Thornton set up Jenks.

GlassSox
09-14-2008, 11:45 PM

Amen, the Bullpen sucked not Ozzie.

TheOldRoman
Danks did really well today. Even though he did well in his last two starts (after slumping for a while), he has really labored. He is throwing way too many pitches. John should have gotten the win today, but on the other hand, he shouldn't have had to be pulled after 6 innings because he already had 05 pitches. Hopefully he improves and can give us at least 7 next time.

LoveYourSuit
These are the kinds of wins that bring teams incredibly together when a guy off the bench who you can tell that people genuinely like does something like this. That guy is pure enthusiasm and emotion that we lacked in corpse ball days. Congrats Dwayne!!! By the way, you gotta love it when guys step up when they get the chance. If TCQ is healthy, I am not sure Dwayne gets an AB there.

I don't believe in this "so called magic." We have had plenty of these "rally the guys together" walk off victories and we are still struggling to put away a very average Twins team.

I think the bullpen situation is more of a concern to the moral of this team and the starting pitchers who are getting shafted on quality start after quality start.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:47 PM
I don't believe in this "so called magic." We have had plenty of these "rally the guys together" walk off victories and we are still struggling to put away a very average Twins team.

I think the bullpen situation is more of a concern to the moral of this team and the starting pitchers who are getting shafted on quality start after quality start.

Your a fun killer.

Have a :gulp:and believe in some magic.

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:47 PM
But, as I recall, Danks was only at 95 pitches through 6. There's no way he would've been able to go any less than 2 batters in the 7th. The more our starters throw, the less our bullpen can effect the game. It's all hindsight right now, and thankfully, we won.

In retrospect, yes, he probably should have let John pitch another inning. But knowing that we need him on three-days rest on Thursday, it wasn't a terrible move to pull him. The bullpen should have been able to protect a 7-0 lead. Linebrink, Logan, Carrasco and Dotel all sucked. If any one of them does their job, Danks has a win and there is no conversation tonight about Ozzie pulling the starter too soon.

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
Your a fun killer.

Sorry, I just want us all to keep things in perspective. My blood boiled so hot I almost had a heart attack in that 8th inning.

Man, if we can turn this bullpen situation around going into October, we have a chance to go deep.

I think Linebrink is no where close to being that bridge to Bobby. I think we have to go with Thornton there. And we still have to bank our trust on Dotel for the 7th, like it or not we have no other options.

7. Dotel
8. Thornton (and only Thornton)
9. Jenks (and stop using Jenks in non save situation to be exposed, I don't care if he threw 100 warm up pitches, sit him down)

soxwon
09-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Its a true miracle from the baseball gods, given to us in Deacon Dewises bat.
Its a sign, we are the chosen ones, once again-a!!!!
Celebrate and know we will be the Final Winners!!!!!

munchman33
09-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Your a fun killer.

Have a :gulp:and believe in some magic.

http://www.freewebs.com/metall-and-rock/dio01.jpg

Konerko05
09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Every Sox starter is looking strong right now. A couple days rest really seemed to help Danks.

Bullpen looks awful. Linebrink needs to shake the rust off. Dotel needs to figure out how to get a breaking ball over. Every hitter is sitting on his fastball and teeing off. We all know what happens when his fastball gets hit.

Huge hit for Wise. I will definitely start easing up on the guy. He is being productive and helping the team.

Two big doubles for Griffey today. It's nice to see him finally hitting the ball with authority.

Watching Swisher hit is starting to become embarassing.

BA.

Foulke You
09-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Amen, the Bullpen sucked not Ozzie.
First off, let me say that I am an Ozzie fan. However, going to Dotel in that sitation with 2 on and nobody out was not a good decision. Dotel has given up the long ball and has a tendency to walk guys a lot lately and he was facing the teeth of the Tigers lineup in Cabrera, Sheffield, and Thames. Three HR hitters who eat fastballs for breakfast against a reliever struggling with command of his breaking pitches. If you are going to use Dotel in the game tonight, do it in a situation where the bases are empty. I thought Ozzie set him up to fail there. That being said, I agree with a previous poster that Dotel needs to find it again like he did earlier in the year to get this bullpen back on track. When he is getting his breaking stuff over, he can be very effective. When hitters can just sit on his straight fastball, he gets hammered like he did tonight.

In any case, Dewayne Wise came to the rescue tonight so it didn't hurt us. 1.5 games up on the Twinkees!! YES! :gulp:

TheOldRoman
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
Once we get to the playoffs, yes, everyone can go on regular rest and pitch deeper into games.

But for the rest of the regular season, it would be nice to shorten our starters up and just ask them to give six quality innings every four days. That way we can subtract Richard and Broadway from the rotation picture entirely. But some middle relievers are gonna have to step up for that to happen.

I feel good about Thornton. I know some people here don't, but I trust him. Dotel really needs to get his head out of his ass. He is ****ing KILLING this bullpen. Linebrink isn't healthy, and you can't rely on him. Dotel is the guy that HAS to get back on track and start helping Thornton set up Jenks.Well, it has been pretty much a cornucopia of crap from the bullpen. It seems like it has been a different guy sucking every day. Just think back to Thursday, when Thornton came into a 1 run game. He left with it being a 3 run game, and his hitter ended up scoring due to an explosion at the hands of Wassermann. I am not saying Thornton is bad, but he has had his moments, too. Then again, things could suddenly click. Someone needs to step up. Dotel needs to get back into his rhythm.

Also, call me crazy, but I would throw Richard against the Yankees. I have a feeling.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:01 AM
I want to point out and give props one again to Uribe tonight.

The man's glove is unreal.

Hate to say this but Joe Crede is not missed on this team. And maybe Uribe's play is what forced Crede to pack his bags before the season was done.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:03 AM
First off, let me say that I am an Ozzie fan. However, going to Dotel in that sitation with 2 on and nobody out was not a good decision. Dotel has given up the long ball and has a tendency to walk guys a lot lately and he was facing the teeth of the Tigers lineup in Cabrera, Sheffield, and Thames. Three HR hitters who eat fastballs for breakfast against a reliever struggling with command of his breaking pitches. If you are going to use Dotel in the game tonight, do it in a situation where the bases are empty. I thought Ozzie set him up to fail there. That being said, I agree with a previous poster that Dotel needs to find it again like he did earlier in the year to get this bullpen back on track. When he is getting his breaking stuff over, he can be very effective. When hitters can just sit on his straight fastball, he gets hammered like he did tonight.

In any case, Dewayne Wise came to the rescue tonight so it didn't hurt us. 1.5 games up on the Twinkees!! YES! :gulp:

So who did you want Ozzie to go to there, Salome Barojas?

Give us a name at least.

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 12:03 AM

Ozzie said that the 8th was going to be Linebrink's? So what does he do? Let Linebrink pitch the 7th! I'll tell you, if Dotel pitches the 7th with bases empty and a 7 run lead no pressure situation, Danks is celebrating a win tonight.

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 12:05 AM

Give us a name at least.

I want Dotel in the 7th with a 7 run lead. He does much better when the game is not on the line.

Salome Barojas ... now there's a guy that could let inherited runs score while keeping his own ERA low!

JB98
09-15-2008, 12:07 AM
Well, it has been pretty much a cornucopia of crap from the bullpen. It seems like it has been a different guy sucking every day. Just think back to Thursday, when Thornton came into a 1 run game. He left with it being a 3 run game, and his hitter ended up scoring due to an explosion at the hands of Wassermann. I am not saying Thornton is bad, but he has had his moments, too. Then again, things could suddenly click. Someone needs to step up. Dotel needs to get back into his rhythm.

Also, call me crazy, but I would throw Richard against the Yankees. I have a feeling.

Thornton got beat on a grounder up the middle on Thursday. That's one of those where I tip my cap to the hitter. I didn't think Matt made a bad pitch to Overbay. He just got beat in that particular situation.

Dotel, however, is making a lot of bad pitches. A lot.

EuroSox35
09-15-2008, 12:16 AM
Big to sweep today, I've never bought the 'hard to sweep a DH' stuff, I don't see how it's any worse than winning any 2 games in a row (both teams have tired players, and it's less of a point in Sep with callups). The real star of today for me is Vazquez, really saving the pen today. Meanwhile, got to feel bad for Danks, but the W is all that matters.

So, anyone else not want to see Dotel in any big spots in October?

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 12:19 AM

The only spot I want to see Dotel in October is the 7th inning, with bases empty and a four run lead. When the rosters pare down again we won't have to see Boone Logan any more. We shouldn't see him again this season period.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:24 AM
Big to sweep today, I've never bought the 'hard to sweep a DH' stuff, I don't see how it's any worse than winning any 2 games in a row (both teams have tired players, and it's less of a point in Sep with callups). The real star of today for me is Vazquez, really saving the pen today. Meanwhile, got to feel bad for Danks, but the W is all that matters.

Wasserman = No
Carrasco = No
MacDougal = No
Linebrink = No - does not look healthy at all.

So the answer is we have no choice but the cheer for Dotel the rest of the way.

This is why booing Dotel makes no sense for the Sox fans that show up to the games. We need this guy.

Foulke You
09-15-2008, 12:26 AM

Give us a name at least.
I would have let the junkball throwing Carrasco continue to work against the middle of the order hitters. The first hit he gave up was a medium-soft liner that Carrasco couldn't field properly. The 2nd hit was a seeing eye dog single that found the hole. Nothing to panic about. It's not like they clobbered two into the gaps. If Carrasco continued to take on water, I would have gotten Thornton in the game which is what Ozzie inevitably did. This game was too big for us to mess around trying to play "How Octavio Got His Groove Back". Bases empty was the right time for Dotel, not 1st and 2nd nobody out for the heart of the Tiger lineup.

Noneck
09-15-2008, 12:29 AM
I noticed there was not a mention from Morgan how this was the best bullpen ever.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:31 AM
I would have let the junkball throwing Carrasco continue to work against the middle of the order hitters. The first hit he gave up was a medium-soft liner that Carrasco couldn't field properly. The 2nd hit was a seeing eye dog single that found the hole. Nothing to panic about. It's not like they clobbered two into the gaps. If Carrasco continued to take on water, I would have gotten Thornton in the game which is what Ozzie inevitably did. This game was too big for us to mess around trying to play "How Octavio Got His Groove Back". Bases empty was the right time for Dotel, not 1st and 2nd nobody out for the heart of the Tiger lineup.

With how important Dotel is for this pen, if tonight was not the night Ozzie could use him in a jam with a 4 run lead, then I don't know what else he can do to try to get this guy back on track.

I don't see another RH set up option in this bullpen. WE NEED THIS GUY.

FielderJones
09-15-2008, 12:31 AM

What is this based on? If Linebrink is unhealthy, Ozzie and Coop should be called to the carpet for jeopardizing his health.

OTOH, if he is just rusty, he needs some work. Some eighth inning work.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:32 AM
I noticed there was not a mention from Morgan how this was the best bullpen ever.

:rolleyes: That ass clown probably got so much e-mail about how stupid that was that it crashed his computer.

What a dumb ass.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:35 AM
What is this based on? If Linebrink is unhealthy, Ozzie and Coop should be called to the carpet for jeopardizing his health.

OTOH, if he is just rusty, he needs some work. Some eighth inning work.

His fastball has no life and flat.

He was 93-95 in the 1st half this year.

He is 90-91 since he returned, and flat.

It could be rust, but the only way he will get it off is if he pitches and it appears that his outings are very far and few since his return.

It's Time
09-15-2008, 12:35 AM
Very much a roller coaster but a huge win thanks to Mr. Wise. This road trip will decide the 2008 season. Time to strap it down.

gf2020
09-15-2008, 12:37 AM
Does anybody have a clue who is pitching Thursday? Will it be Javier or Danks? I know on the broadcast there was speculation that Danks was pulled early so it would be easier to come back on short rest and that it would be a better matchup on this.

I'm being nerdish and trying to figure out the pitching matchups for the rest of the year.

JB98
09-15-2008, 12:40 AM
Does anybody have a clue who is pitching Thursday? Will it be Javier or Danks? I know on the broadcast there was speculation that Danks was pulled early so it would be easier to come back on short rest and that it would be a better matchup on this.

I'm being nerdish and trying to figure out the pitching matchups for the rest of the year.

I don't have a clue, but given the number of lefty hitters in the Yankee lineup, I would speculate that we'll see Richard on Wednesday and Danks on Thursday.

Throw the three lefties and a righty with 15 wins and see what happens.

LoveYourSuit
09-15-2008, 12:52 AM

It has to be Javy. He is the veteran.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-15-2008, 12:56 AM
Just so everyone knows...Juan Uribe is the man...period....

Thank you and goodnight....

Harry Potter
09-15-2008, 12:58 AM
Just got back from the game. For one night at least, Ozzie proved me wrong for second guessing his decision to pinch-hit Wise for BA.

Also, glad to see that Detroit's version of Dotel (i.e Farnsworth) is worse then our version.

Much needed W x 2

:bandance:

DumpJerry
09-15-2008, 01:00 AM
After Dotel gave up the Slam, I hit the can. The bathroom was full of guys ready to kill Dotel and Boone.

20 minutes later, all was well.

Great game to be at! Well worth the wait all weekend.

nasox
09-15-2008, 01:02 AM
I was at the game and I think I was on ESPN. I know I was on the scoreboard. I had a sign that said, "My house flooded but I still came out." Some guy told me I was on ESPN sometime around the bottom of the second. Can anybody confirm?

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:03 AM
I was at the game and I think I was on ESPN. I know I was on the scoreboard. I had a sign that said, "My house flooded but I still came out." Some guy told me I was on ESPN sometime around the bottom of the second. Can anybody confirm?
BRB confirming

hawkjt
09-15-2008, 01:04 AM
I don't have a clue, but given the number of lefty hitters in the Yankee lineup, I would speculate that we'll see Richard on Wednesday and Danks on Thursday.

Throw the three lefties and a righty with 15 wins and see what happens.

I like that thought..that would leave us with

Yanks- MB,Floyd,Richard,Danks
Kc-- Javy,MB,Floyd
Twins- Danks,Javy,MB
Tribe--Floyd,Danks,Javy
Tigers-MB

Pedal to the metal,starters, this season is in your hands.
As for the bullpen, they are slumping,but they were good early ,so they might still be good late. Dotel and Linbrink are the guys. If they get back to earlier form, with thornton and Jenks and DJ sox could get by. Just let them be hot soon.

Blueprint1
09-15-2008, 01:05 AM

Yes I saw that sign on ESPN.

Konerko05
09-15-2008, 01:05 AM

I definitely saw you, but I can't remember when.

sox1970
09-15-2008, 01:06 AM

I was at the games. Saw a funny one. "Hurry up and win. My dog is in the basement and he can't swim too long." :D:

I stripped a gear when Wise hit that granny. :gulp:

...and Boone Logan sucks.

slavko
09-15-2008, 01:06 AM
Wasserman = No
Carrasco = No
MacDougal = No

So the answer is we have no choice but the cheer for Dotel the rest of the way.

This is why booing Dotel makes no sense for the Sox fans that show up to the games. We need this guy.

Not so fast, sailor. One of the above names has the lowest ERA of anyone to toe the rubber for the Sox this season and I'd as soon see him setting up games as any of the other righties. Do I have to tell you who? BTW, have you noticed you don't get a lot for your dollar these days when you're shopping for bullpen help? That's why I wish we'd taken a shot at Scott Eyre when he became available for "free."

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:07 AM
Was it for sure around the bottom of the 2nd? I have MLB.TV fired up and can get a screencap

nasox
09-15-2008, 01:08 AM
Yes I saw that sign on ESPN.

Anybody want to hit me with a screenshot or something? I would appreciate it.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:09 AM
GOT IT!!! Give me a minute and ill upload it

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:11 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm121/scarsofthumper/wsi.jpg

nasox
09-15-2008, 01:15 AM
http://i295.photobucket.com/albums/mm121/scarsofthumper/wsi.jpg

Thanks so much! Too bad you can't really see my face. Who cares, that's me! Did the announcers say anything about me?

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:16 AM
Thanks so much! Too bad you can't really see my face. Who cares, that's me! Did the announcers say anything about me?Not that I could tell, they had just started talking about all the rain that was dumped, cuz they had a special weather report from Phil, the guy that does the ABC7 weather

FedEx227
09-15-2008, 01:20 AM

You were definitely on the jumbotron I remember seeing you, obviously not sure about ESPN. But I'm in the same boat (pun not intended) my basement is a wreck.

LJS1993
09-15-2008, 01:20 AM
We've got some issues in the bullpen, but on the bright side, we've also got some guys stepping up for us.

Wise, Griffey, Anderson, even Owens getting that rally started in the eighth, all of them helped us today. Thome delivered a couple run-producing hits against a left-handed pitcher too.

And Danks and Thornton did their jobs. Don't discount how important it was for Matt to come out of that bullpen in the eighth and settle things down.

I'm sweating after watching this game. You can tell it's a tight pennant race. Keep battling, Sox. As long as they continue to give this effort, it will be OK.

Yes, but Griffey is done right? The man is contributing nicely. And Wise, very nice.

JB98
09-15-2008, 01:21 AM
Thanks so much! Too bad you can't really see my face. Who cares, that's me! Did the announcers say anything about me?

Not specifically about you. They talked a bit about the flooding and heavy rains we've been experiencing around the Chicago area this weekend.

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2008, 01:24 AM
Yeah, they said something, but I don't remember what. They definitely acknowledged you and the sign.

btrain929
09-15-2008, 01:25 AM
Two things:

1) I just want to give Danks a hug. It is an absolute shame how many wins he has been screwed out of this year. He should have anywhere from 14-17 wins. Hopefully he doesn't let things like that get him down.
2) Being in shouting distance of Magglio and letting him have it every single inning NEVER gets old. I was on a roll tonight with him right by the RF foul poul....

Noneck
09-15-2008, 01:27 AM
One of the above names has the lowest ERA of anyone to toe the rubber for the Sox this season and I'd as soon see him setting up games as any of the other righties. Do I have to tell you who?
I am with you, I would rather have MacDougal now than the 2 crap slingers or Marte, oops I meant Dotel and I don't think Linebrink is right

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 01:35 AM
and if you wanna see it, the replay is on the top of the 2nd on ESPN2

JermaineDye05
09-15-2008, 01:57 AM
Our team hates John.

We got the win though, all that really matters. Makes yesterday's DH win for the Twins moot.

Chicken Dinner
09-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Boone Logan should not be allowed to pitch again this year........period!

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 02:18 AM
Boone Logan should not be allowed to pitch again this year........period!
I was surprised when he was brought up again.

TDog
09-15-2008, 02:43 AM

And our bullpen blows.

This is quite the juxtaposition of concepts. I don't think the Sox bullpen is as bad as it it's been pitching lately. Logan seems to have lost it. Linebrink is rusty. Jenks probably hasn't been getting enough work. Carrasco has been inconsistent. It looks like Dotel isn't getting movement on his fastball.

And bringing in relievers who give up a seven run lead after six normally be the actions of a genius manager.

I was watching the bottom of the eighth inning with my girlfriend. When the Sox loaded the bases with two outs, I immediately said Wise would be coming in to hit for Anderson, but I hoped that he wouldn't. Then they showed Wise stepping up to the plate.

And I was wrong. I'm sure I wasn't the only one.

Of course, Danks deserved a win today. He pitched six shutout innings and left with a seven-run lead. But he would have more wins if he went deeper into games. I don't know if he came out after six tonight because he was approaching the arbitrary 100-pitch mark. I hope in October he goes deeper into games. I certainly hope he does in 2009.

This was a great day for the Sox. They got two great starts, survived off days by their relievers and picked up a game in the lost column on the Twins. Now the Sox go to New York while the Twins go to St. Petersburg.

I continue to believe it was the right thing not to move the series out of Chicago because of the record-setting rain. It is wrong to take teams play home games in distant cities. I'm hoping the missed game won't be necessary.

delben91
09-15-2008, 07:31 AM
Of course, Danks deserved a win today. He pitched six shutout innings and left with a seven-run lead. But he would have more wins if he went deeper into games. I don't know if he came out after six tonight because he was approaching the arbitrary 100-pitch mark. I hope in October he goes deeper into games. I certainly hope he does in 2009.

Rumor was they pulled Danks after 6 so that he could come back on short rest against the Yankees on Thursday.

kraut83
09-15-2008, 09:18 AM
Thank you Mr. Wise! Props to Thornton for holding things together last night. He's been huge for the bullpen the past month.

Also, I've been a Swisher optomist all season, but my patience is wearing really thin with him right now.

esbrechtel
09-15-2008, 09:30 AM
I was really upset with the desicion to lift BA from the game...however, it worked out so kudos to Ozzie for sticking with his righty lefty situations...

palehozenychicty
09-15-2008, 09:44 AM
I was really upset with the desicion to lift BA from the game...however, it worked out so kudos to Ozzie for sticking with his righty lefty situations...

Wise bailed him out. It looked silly, but we won and knocked another game off the schedule.

jabrch
09-15-2008, 10:08 AM
I see no reason to believe this team won't be in contention all the way to the end.

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 10:37 AM
I see no reason to believe this team won't be in contention all the way to the end.
:scratch: we are at the end.

Theres 14 games left.

oeo
09-15-2008, 10:45 AM
Wise bailed him out. It looked silly, but we won and knocked another game off the schedule.

BA already got his hit for the game (week)...I wouldn't have pushed my luck for a second.

I don't see why it looked silly. Was it as silly as Leyland bringing in the RHP to face Anderson? A lot of managers do this match-up crap, not just Ozzie. Besides, Wise is probably our hottest hitter right now.

whitesox901
09-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Damn, that was scary there for a bit last night.

GO SOX!

jabrch
09-15-2008, 10:54 AM

Theres 14 games left.

So I am right?

Noneck
09-15-2008, 10:57 AM

Theres 14 games left.
That was one bold statement made. Kinda like "The sun will set in the west".

asindc
09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Alternative title thread suggestion: *Official* Dotel Owes Wise A Steak Dinner 9-14 Postgame Thread.

Well, one thing I will say about Dotel: I would still rather have him than Farnsworth. However, when Dotel can't get his breaking ball over, it's Farnsworth and Dotel= Gas Can.

This is the kind of game you need to win to keep morale going. I would guess some of the guys are mentally drained right now, if not physically worn down. Having guys like Owens, BA, Uribe, and Wise step up hopefully keeps the energy at a high level in the clubhouse. 13 and counting down!

09-15-2008, 11:53 AM
That was one bold statement made. Kinda like "The sun will set in the west".

Not on the Antarctic and Arctic circle at summer and winter solstice.

:D:

kitekrazy
09-15-2008, 12:07 PM
Damn, that was scary there for a bit last night.

GO SOX!

I thought so for a bit but the Tigers bullpen makes us thankful for what we have.

Tragg
09-15-2008, 01:10 PM
Hail to Wise. What a day he had.

voodoochile
09-15-2008, 02:43 PM
Saw the Sox take an early lead in this game then was hanging out with family while we watched a movie. I got up in the 7th and saw the team with a comfortable 7-2 lead and went back to hanging out with family and watching the movie. Didn't find out until today about all the excitement, but in the end, a win is a win is a win.

Was having a really crappy sports weekend until yesterday about 5 PM ET too. Then it all became worth it. I love football, but it's September and that means pennant races and magic numbers and dancing 'nanas...

:twinslose

:supernana: :bandance:

:)

:moonwalk:

palehozenychicty
09-15-2008, 02:47 PM
BA already got his hit for the game (week)...I wouldn't have pushed my luck for a second.

I don't see why it looked silly. Was it as silly as Leyland bringing in the RHP to face Anderson? A lot of managers do this match-up crap, not just Ozzie. Besides, Wise is probably our hottest hitter right now.

Which is why we aren't managers. It all worked out, but I thought it was peculiar. Moving on...

Nellie_Fox
09-15-2008, 02:52 PM
Which is why we aren't managers. It all worked out, but I thought it was peculiar. Moving on...When Ozzie sent Wise in, I figured that if it didn't work the FOBAs would go nuts, but I thought it was the right move. Anderson was far more likely to strike out in that situation.

asindc
09-15-2008, 02:56 PM
When Ozzie sent Wise in, I figured that if it didn't work the FOBAs would go nuts, but I thought it was the right move. Anderson was far more likely to strike out in that situation.

That's what I was thinking. BA has too many holes in his swing to count on him to make contact in that situation. Not trying to fan the flames of the FOBA wars again, but just simply agreeing that Wise was sent in to pinch hit because he is more likely at this point to make contact.

TDog
09-15-2008, 03:04 PM
Rumor was they pulled Danks after 6 so that he could come back on short rest against the Yankees on Thursday.

Danks is the last Sox starter I would expect Guillen to bring back on short rest. I'm not saying it would be right or wroing to do so, just that it would seem odd considering Danks' successes and failures this season.

I imagine, Guillen will want to get the pitching lined up for the series in the Metrodome, though. Last time he came in with three lefty starters in an effort to combat the big lefty hitters in the Twins lineup. The only game the Sox won was the game started by Floyd.

October26
09-15-2008, 03:51 PM
It was fun to finally be able to watch some White Sox baseball yesterday after a miserable weather weekend here in Chicago. The second game nearly gave me a heart attack, but I was happy the Sox and Wise pulled off the win. :bandance:

Zisk77
09-15-2008, 06:10 PM
When Ozzie sent Wise in, I figured that if it didn't work the FOBAs would go nuts, but I thought it was the right move. Anderson was far more likely to strike out in that situation.

It also took Farnsworth slider out of the equation as a slider may have hit Wise if he missed inside. This made Farnsworth a 1 pitch pitcher to Wise.