PDA

View Full Version : Finally a Cubs fan gets it "right" ?!?! PLEASE!

Cuck the Fubs
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
This is a joke :angry:

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/chi-13-top-viewsep13,0,1382003.story

wsf4l
09-14-2008, 11:06 AM
**** U Chester Lichon u ****in ****** Eat **** u ***** bandwagon cub fan!

aryzner
09-14-2008, 11:22 AM
That was comical. Journalism at its finest!

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:35 AM
The best part of the letter to the editor is he doesn't even really have a point. He leads off with Obama's quote and then does not even address the points of that quote. I think it is very funny. Very poor writing though. I am surprised the Tribune actually let it in their sports section.

StillMissOzzie
09-14-2008, 11:41 AM
With Cub fans, it always comes back to attendance - how they fill the stadium, win or lose, blah blah blah. They got nothing to say about their team, so they pat themselves on the back instead.

SMO
:gulp:

WSox597
09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I'm still waiting to see the attendance trophies, and of course all of those attendance championship rings that their players are sporting.

Oops, they don't get trophies or rings for this mythical attendance championship.

Maybe Kerry Wood has a simulated championship ring? Nah.

Kidding aside, this attendance "win or lose" doesn't spur the team into bettering itself. After all, if the sheep keep being led into the building, win or lose, what's the incentive to win?

This year is an anomaly, and it isn't over yet.

turners56
09-14-2008, 12:26 PM
Attendance wins World Championships. Bank on it Cubs fans. Too bad the Red Sox also win that championship and some actual championships...

WizardsofOzzie
09-14-2008, 01:03 PM
When you're sitting in your seat at Wrigley, there's nothing to do but watch the game. No distractions, no rock music, restaurants, fireworks, JumboTrons, hot dog races, concourses ... just baseball. Every game is celebrated as a holiday.That introduction music, and Nancy playing the organ is really distracting to the game. I can't stand how there is a multitude of places in a park that you can eat & watch a baseball game at the same time because that's just plain wrong. I really hate it when the fireworks go off to, because it distracts me from celebrating a HR or a win. Don't even get me started on those hot dog races because, it distracts me from watching the team warm up and toss the ball around before the inning begins. And that concourse really distracts me from getting drunk in my seat all day, until they cut off beer sales which is when I leave.

fusillirob1983
09-14-2008, 01:30 PM
So if Cubs fans don't care about Sox fans, why is this guy writing an article complaining about a Sox fan's comments about Wrigley?

Quentin08
09-14-2008, 01:43 PM
I just shake my head when they brag how Cub fans don't even realize the Sox exist..

He should've added something like.. "I knew these diehard Cubs fans from Iowa who made their journey to the magical historic Wrigley Field and when they got here, they actually asked someone wearing a Sox jersey, 'Who are the Chicago Sox, is that a minor league team'? I mean it's all Cubs with our fans".

Trust me, they're not Cubs fans. They're not even sports fans. If they were, I wouldn't have to tell all of them who won last night. Oh, and they probably tell their friends, "Sox fans care so much about the Cubs, that I'm always certain to get an answer on who won".

Sox fans = real sports fans who see the full picture
Cubs fan = fans of the city of Chicago and those cute Cubbie jerseys and beautiful friendly Wrigley Field (in other words it's an image thing for most Cubs fans).

Soxman219
09-14-2008, 03:39 PM
Cubs fans care what the Sox do. If they didn't, Chester wouldn't make the article. I read this article and it made me laugh. Made the Bears loss today a little easier.

Johnny74
09-14-2008, 05:26 PM
I don't know. He kind of has a point. I'm a die hard Sox fan and I used to thrive on Cub hating. After we won the World Series I changed my attitude toward the Cubs. I'm still not a Cub fan but I don't wish them any harm either. It's a waste of time.

I know a lot more Sox fans who are always ripping on the Cubs and their fans than Cubs fans who are doing the same. Both teams have idiot fans. That's a fact. Both teams have fans who are hardcore baseball fans. That's a fact.

Let's just watch and enjoy baseball, no matter what team you love.

MarySwiss
09-14-2008, 06:48 PM
The best part of the letter to the editor is he doesn't even really have a point. He leads off with Obama's quote and then does not even address the points of that quote. I think it is very funny. Very poor writing though. I am surprised the Tribune actually let it in their sports section.
I'm not. Whoever said that writing well was a prerequisite to being published in the Trib?

guillensdisciple
09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
I don't hate the cubs but this is by far one of the dumbest articles I have ever read. Why is their sole argument that of attendance. Why don't cubs fans ever talk about the success of their teams? Why is their only argument about their fan base. Has anyone every said anything about the Cubs fan base? They have a big one, we already knew that. Obama said that White Sox baseball is real baseball partly because of the different environment we enjoy at the cell and cubs fans enjoy at wrigley. Perhaps he should take a stroll to the Cell and see just how serious sox fans are about baseball. I have been to Wrigley and Obama had it right all the way. The environment is completely different. Cubs fans are very self- conscious, they know that their team is not one to be proud of so they find something to brag about.

To each his own.

rustysurf83
09-14-2008, 09:48 PM
This is pretty low, even for the tribune...this sounds like an argument I had with other kids in the 7th grade. I don't know if I have ever seen lower quality writing in a major market newspaper; you couldn't get away with this crap in spokane, wa or peoria, il!

madisonsoxfan
09-14-2008, 10:48 PM
haha, wow.

this article reminds me of one of my favorite onion articles...

http://www.theonion.com/content/node/33426

especially paragraphs 8 and 9.

DumpJerry
09-14-2008, 11:55 PM
Whatever. I let Cub fans say whatever they want to say. You won't change their minds any sooner than they can change reality.

JB98
09-15-2008, 12:19 AM
So if Cubs fans don't care about Sox fans, why is this guy writing an article complaining about a Sox fan's comments about Wrigley?

That's the interesting thing. If you read that "Voice of the Fan" every week in the Trib, there is always some Cub fan who has penned a 750-word diatribe on how Cubs fans don't care about the Sox and don't even know the Sox exist. They also talk about how popular they are in comparison to the Sox and pat themselves on the back for their excellent attendance. There is something disingenuous about that whole argument.

Here's my retort: One's personal popularity is extremely important - if you are still in high school. Alas, I graduated from high school 14 years ago, and I don't really care about being "popular" or part of the "in crowd" anymore.

hi im skot
09-15-2008, 12:25 AM
:rolling:

What a joke.

SOXPHILE
09-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Ahhh, the old attendance argument. Quick question there Chester, were you a Cub fan pre-1984 ? Since you brag about the attendance of Cubs games, what say you about the games I went to as a kid in the late 70's and early 80's, where THE UPPER DECK WAS CLOSED due to lack of "The Greatest Fans In The World" ? Where I remember seeing attendance of 7000-8000 people, or less, on warm, sunny June and July days ? When I can recall hearing Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudrew (sp ?) pleading for fans to show up, and how it was a shame more people weren't there ? Chester, you may now reply.

whitesox901
09-15-2008, 10:20 AM
Chester is a dick, prick and *******.

Who cares about attendence? Half the people are probebly outta staters who are just going so they can say theve been to "beautiful" Wrigly Field.
Id rather have a more smaller hardcore fanbase than an over-sized yuppie geek fanbase that buy the tickets and forces real Cubs fans watch games on WGN America, I beleave there was a discussion of this caliber on WSI a bit ago about the Red Sox and their fanbase and real fans watching games on the Nation Station (NESN), Cubs fanbase reminds me of the current Red Sox, with disregards to true Red Sox or Cubs fan.

Foulke You
09-15-2008, 10:31 AM
I would ask Chester if Cub fans care so little about the Sox, how come they call White Sox Weekly and the White Sox Post Game show to make Chris Rongey's life miserable? There was a guy on Saturday who identified himself as a Cub fan and said he wished the Sox lost every single game and was ripping on all of our players and our division. Good thing they don't care about us.

PatK
09-15-2008, 11:32 AM
Didn't the Sox outdraw the Flubs in 2006 and beat them in both the TV and radio ratings?