PDA

View Full Version : Today's DH Cancelled-Split Double Header Sunday

Pages : [1] 2

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 03:38 PM
Per Rongy

WhiteSox5187
09-13-2008, 03:39 PM
It's supposed to rain tomorrow too, they might not get in any of these games. Are they going to try to get in at least one today?

all*star quentin
09-13-2008, 03:40 PM
game 1 start time Sunday 1:05 Vazquez

game 2 start time Sunday 7:05 Danks

BRDSR
Tickets to today's game are good for...the nightcap? In from out of town for only my third game of the season. Would like to see one.

scarsofthumper
also per Jeannie Selazko or however you spell it from FOX

I want Mags back
Tickets to today's game are good for...the nightcap? In from out of town for only my third game of the season. Would like to see one.

the night game was scheduled. They would be good for the day game, if anything

voodoochile
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM

I'd think toward the day game. The night game was the one originally scheduled, wasn't it?

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Yeah tickets would be good for the day

JermaineDye05
09-13-2008, 03:42 PM
DH cancelled???? You mean we get to watch real baseball for once? The pitchers will finally get to bat. What good news, first replay now this!!!

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
I would highly doubt they even play tomorrow. They may be able to get one game in. It's supposed to be worse tomorrow.

BRDSR
09-13-2008, 03:45 PM
the night game was scheduled. They would be good for the day game, if anything

You are correct...

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
Why the Milwaukee option hasn't taken place is beyond me.

This "charity event" at Miller Park better be Hurricane related if that's the reason we are not going up there.

The Weather looks even worse for Sunday.

MLB has no idea. Kind of cool to catch Bud Selig with his pants down again.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
I'm shocked the Sox didn't just call the first game so people will still show up for the second game, then call the night game around 6.

Konerko05
09-13-2008, 03:51 PM
I would highly doubt they even play tomorrow. They may be able to get one game in. It's supposed to be worse tomorrow.

Weather.com says a 30% chance of rain for 1:05pm Sunday. Yesterday it showed a 90% chance of rain. Maybe the forecast has changed.

Soxman219
09-13-2008, 03:52 PM
:scratch:Does that mean tonight's game is also cancelled?

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 03:53 PM

This "charity event" at Miller Park better be Hurricane related if that's the reason we are not going up there.

Yeah, I would think an MLB event would supersede any event that is going on, but that is the discretion of the MLB, Brewers, and Miller Park staff.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2008, 03:53 PM
Chisox Mike:

You must have missed the information. According to Bob Grim when it's a team's final time into Chicago (as is this case) the Sox organization has ZERO input in the process. It is all up to the umpiring crew as to whether or not a game will be played.

You can blame the umpires for the snafu last night.

Lip

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 03:54 PM

And if MLB railroaded this charity event to stage games, they would look like complete bullies.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 03:56 PM
Chisox Mike:

You must have missed the information. According to Bob Grim when it's a team's final time into Chicago (as is this case) the Sox organization has ZERO input in the process. It is all up to the umpiring crew as to whether or not a game will be played.

You can blame the umpires for the snafu last night.

Lip

Ah.

But, the Sox do have a history of pulling stunts like this. Wasn't there a game last year that they filed everybody in but the broadcast crews went home before they told the crowd the game was called?

They also called a game last year when it never rained.

I just think the Sox usually handle this stuff pretty poorly.

SoxGirl4Life
If Baltimore can sweep the Twins, we can be 2 games up.

I know, I know.. it could work the other way too, but I'm just trying to be optimistic!

scarsofthumper
They should integrate the charity event with the Sox game :)

and if they cancel the games tomorrow we can see the Brewers/Phillies on ESPN tomorrow lol

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 03:58 PM
And if MLB railroaded this charity event to stage games, they would look like complete bullies.

No, what you do is donate the entire gate to that Charity. MLB does not need that gate of 5,000, they need to get those games in any which way. Money is not the issue, Time is with the lack of days off.

I assume the home team gets compensated by MLB any time a team loses a home game due to these circumstances.

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 04:01 PM
I wonder what tickets will work for tomorrows games?

October26
09-13-2008, 04:01 PM

I know, I know.. it could work the other way too, but I'm just trying to be optimistic!

I like the way you think :smile:!

EMachine10
09-13-2008, 04:02 PM
Weather.com says a 30% chance of rain for 1:05pm Sunday. Yesterday it showed a 90% chance of rain. Maybe the forecast has changed.

I'm in Champaign and we're supposed to be getting the overflow from Ike tomorrow, and it may stretch to Chicago, from what I understand. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire series postponed.

turners56
09-13-2008, 04:03 PM
Rain sucks.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 04:04 PM
No, what you do is donate the entire gate to that Charity. MLB does not need that gate of 5,000, they need to get those games in any which way. Money is not the issue, Time is with the lack of days off.

I assume the home team gets compensated by MLB any time a team loses a home game due to these circumstances.

MLB can't just take over the park.

TDog

Not only that, but it wouldn't be fair to the fans to move games to Milwaukee on short notice. No matter the notice, it wouldn't be fair to the fans. I've only seen one game in Chicago this year. It's irrelevant to me where they play, but these are White Sox home games. They should be played on the South Side of Chicago.

I wouldn't want to see the games moved to Miller Park (which isn't nearly as good a place to watch a baseball game). I wouldn't want to see the games played in the Metrodome (which is probably unavailable anyway).

It's unfortunate that the Sox might not be able to play in Chicago this weekend. It's possible the Twins might not be able to play in Baltimore this weekend. I certainly wouldn't want those games against the Orioles moved to the Metrodome.

ChiSoxGirl

According to this (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#RainCancellation) from whitesox.com, it looks like today's ticket will get you into the afternoon game tomorrow.

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 04:05 PM
I like the way you think :smile:!

:thumbsup:
Why drown in negativity?

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 04:06 PM

They might not get those games in, either.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 04:07 PM
Not only that, but it wouldn't be fair to the fans to move games to Milwaukee on short notice. No matter the notice, it wouldn't be fair to the fans. I've only seen one game in Chicago this year. It's irrelevant to me where they play, but these are White Sox home games. They should be played on the South Side of Chicago.

I wouldn't want to see the games moved to Miller Park (which isn't nearly as good a place to watch a baseball game). I wouldn't want to see the games played in the Metrodome (which is probably unavailable anyway).

It's unfortunate that the Sox might not be able to play in Chicago this weekend. It's possible the Twins might not be able to play in Baltimore this weekend. I certainly wouldn't want those games against the Orioles moved to the Metrodome.

give me a break :rolleyes:

delben91
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
So 2 of the 3 games of this series are scheduled for tomorrow. Assume for a moment they get played, does the 3rd game of the series move to the end of the year?

Red Barchetta
09-13-2008, 04:09 PM
....at least this give Paulie time to heal without missing as many games. :smile:

clarkent
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
....at least this give Paulie time to heal without missing as many games. :smile:

Actually if the games are played right after the end of the season TCQ may be in too.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Actually if the games are played right after the end of the season TCQ may be in too.

And your pitching staff will be so exhausted that they will not even matter for the playoffs.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 04:20 PM
And your pitching staff will be so exhausted that they will not even matter for the playoffs.

I blame Selig.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 04:25 PM
I really wish people would stop all the bitching about how this should have been moved to Milwaukee and how it's going to **** up pitching and all that. Whatever. Rain happens. If we have to make up games later, we have to make them up, and that's nobody's fault. Personally, I can think of worse cases than the season coming down to the end with us having to beat Detroit at home. And about Milwaukee, I'm quite sure that if we had moved games there, there would be plenty of bitching about THAT, too. Just relax, we'll play when we can play.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 04:28 PM
gotta bitch about something...

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 04:31 PM
I really wish people would stop all the bitching about how this should have been moved to Milwaukee and how it's going to **** up pitching and all that. Whatever. Rain happens. If we have to make up games later, we have to make them up, and that's nobody's fault. Personally, I can think of worse cases than the season coming down to the end with us having to beat Detroit at home. And about Milwaukee, I'm quite sure that if we had moved games there, there would be plenty of bitching about THAT, too. Just relax, we'll play when we can play.I think people bitch because of the fact that we might have to make up a series with Detroit AND a possible Minnesota tiebreaker.

SOXSINCE'70
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
Any word on when game # 3 in the series will be played??

Ths Sox do have an off day Sept.22.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 04:36 PM
I think people bitch because of the fact that we might have to make up a series with Detroit AND a possible Minnesota tiebreaker.

Well, if we win some games, we won't have to. If we do end up having to do that, it's nobody's fault but the Sox. Here's another way to look at it: keep winning games, get Minnesota 3 or 4 back, and we don't have to play these games at all.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Any word on when game # 3 in the series will be played??

Ths Sox do have an off day Sept.22.

The Tigers don't. They often don't announce these things officially until they think they'll be needed, but I suspect that they'd play it the day after the season if it could change the race.

jcw218
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
I think people bitch because of the fact that we might have to make up a series with Detroit AND a possible Minnesota tiebreaker.

Playing extra games at the end of the season is not an ideal option. Playing a double header is even worse. The Sox will deal with whatever situation comes when the time comes. There is the possibility that the games would not have to be played at all.

FielderJones
09-13-2008, 04:45 PM
I'm in Champaign and we're supposed to be getting the overflow from Ike tomorrow, and it may stretch to Chicago, from what I understand. I wouldn't be surprised to see the entire series postponed.

The current hour-by-hour forecast (http://www.weather.com/weather/hourbyhour/60616?begHour=10&begDay=258) for tomorrow shows only 30% chance of rain starting at noon. There's at least a shot of getting the games in tomorrow.

Chicken Dinner
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Why do you think the post season schedule in marked "tentative"?

mcfish
09-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Let's just sweep the Twins in the hump dome next week and make these three games meaningless!

Law11
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM

any game vs Cleveland as thats all that left..

jcw218
09-13-2008, 04:52 PM
Let's just sweep the Twins in the hump dome next week and make these three games meaningless!

Here! Here! Sounds like a plan to me.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 04:53 PM
any game vs Cleveland as thats all that left..

No, you can use them next year, too.

Law11
09-13-2008, 04:55 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3467668&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Yeh in April.. Oh joy..

CHISOXFAN13
09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
Bitch, bitch, bitch, bitch bitch.

These threads are comical, particuarly the posts from people who don't have a clue who controls the decisions in the last series of the season between two foes.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 04:57 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3467668&vkey=pr_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Yeh in April.. Oh joy..

Now you can freeze your ass off!!:bandance:

anewman35
09-13-2008, 04:58 PM

Yeh in April.. Oh joy..

The Sox page is all weird now, so I can't find this for sure, but I believe Friday's tickets work for any game this year or next year, and today's tickets work for tomorrow's first game or a game in April.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:04 PM
The Sox page is all weird now, so I can't find this for sure, but I believe Friday's tickets work for any game this year or next year, and today's tickets work for tomorrow's first game or a game in April.

They should let people use the tickets for any possible makeup, future game this regular season, or ANY game except opening day, Cubs in 2009 all based upon availability.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM
:gulp:I'll drink to that

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 05:05 PM

Yeh in April.. Oh joy..

talk about getting the shaft, the only sold out crowd of the weekend can't even come back for a game this year.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
talk about getting the shaft, the only sold out crowd of the weekend can't even come back for a game this year.

Do people read AT ALL? Nobody is getting the shaft here in any way. In fact, the Sox are doing more than they have to. The Sox could have said that today's game is good for tomorrow, no exceptions. But they're not. And people who had tickets to yesterday's game can exchange them for any remaining regular season game this season, or most next season. What are the Sox supposed to do?

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:07 PM
Fans with tickets to Saturday's 2:55 p.m. contest may use those tickets for Sunday's first game, or they may exchange those tickets for upper level tickets to any home game in April 2009 (excluding Opening Day and based on availability). All exchanges should be made at the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office, either by mail (333 W. 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60616) or in person.
Typical White Sox.

So, if you can't go tomorrow afternoon and you have 100 level tickets. You get screwed.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:11 PM
Typical White Sox.

So, if you can't go tomorrow afternoon and you have 100 level tickets. You get screwed.

You're right. They shouldn't have given an exchange option at all, said tomorrow it is, no questions asked. No sense in trying to do something helpful, it's never enough.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:12 PM
Typical White Sox.

Speaking about getting really screwed... Mods, this is EXTREMELY complicated. I have been very mad at the Sox this entire day. I had my 1st row Scouts last night and found out I CANNOT sit n them cause of the DH today. I was soooo damn pissed OMG!!! Okay, today NO games. Tomorrow, todays game will be played @ 1 PM and regular @ 7 PM. Okay, well I am 100% screwed. My tickets (9/12) are worth $420. I was wondering, is there anybody who would like to help me out so I can sit in the day game Scout Seats tomorrow by buying my 9/12 tickets for $420 (What there are worth. 133S $210/ticket x 2 tickets) so I can use that real money to buy Scout Seats? So, you will have $420 you can spend on tickets this year and April of next season (2009). I have just had one really lousy day because of what the Sox did and this would just mean the world to me. PLEASE...PM ASAP!!!! I NEED TO KNOW TODAY!!!!! THANKS!!!! I put this in the WSI Ticket Exchange but because of all the crap (IMO) the Sox are pulling I felt I should post it here.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:13 PM
You're right. They shouldn't have given an exchange option at all, said tomorrow it is, no questions ask. No sense in trying to do something helpful, it's never enough.

Why limit people to the 500 level if they had 100 level tickets?

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
You're right. They shouldn't have given an exchange option at all, said tomorrow it is, no questions asked. No sense in trying to do something helpful, it's never enough.

Helpful would be any game next year. Not friggin April.. When the gam will get called for cold or rain again.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:15 PM
why limit people to the 500 level if they had 100 level tickets?

exactly!

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM
Why limit people to the 500 level if they had 100 level tickets?

The Sox aren't going to be able to sell those tickets tomorrow, because they have to hold them in case the people do show up. The Sox don't want to eat the cost tomorrow and then also have to give out an expensive ticket next year. This is a business, they can't just give away everything.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:16 PM

Okay, I will take section 520 over 133 row 1. Oh wait, my grandma cannot even sit up there.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Helpful would be any game next year. Not friggin April.. When the gam will get called for cold or rain again.

I totally understand saying with the exception of Opening Day and the Cubs series, but saying April only and 500 level, I think, is pretty crappy.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:17 PM
Speaking about getting really screwed... Mods, this is EXTREMELY complicated. I have been very mad at the Sox this entire day. I had my 1st row Scouts last night and found out I CANNOT sit n them cause of the DH today. I was soooo damn pissed OMG!!! Okay, today NO games. Tomorrow, todays game will be played @ 1 PM and regular @ 7 PM. Okay, well I am 100% screwed. My tickets (9/12) are worth $420. I was wondering, is there anybody who would like to help me out so I can sit in the day game Scout Seats tomorrow by buying my 9/12 tickets for $420 (What there are worth. 133S $210/ticket x 2 tickets) so I can use that real money to buy Scout Seats? So, you will have $420 you can spend on tickets this year and April of next season (2009). I have just had one really lousy day because of what the Sox did and this would just mean the world to me. PLEASE...PM ASAP!!!! I NEED TO KNOW TODAY!!!!! THANKS!!!! I put this in the WSI Ticket Exchange but because of all the crap (IMO) the Sox are pulling I felt I should post it here.

Are you sure you can't exchange yesterday's tickets for tomorrow? Have you asked? If they said no, did they explain why?

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, I will take section 520 over 133 row 1. Oh wait, my grandma cannot even sit up there.

Then go tomorrow in your original seats. Problem solved.

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:18 PM
I totally understand saying with the exception of Opening Day and the Cubs series, but saying April only and 500 level, I think, is pretty crappy.

Its complete BS..:angry: especially when i had prime seats for these games.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:20 PM

For sure for sure. Maybe it could be 500 level OD/Cubs and then lowers for rest of season or something like that. NOT 500 level ONLY April. I mean, it really really sucks when you are a season ticket holder you got great seats and what do you, we are not playing that game, your seats are worthless. All we can do is give you section 512 in the cold weather. Bull ****. They can make this work out for the people who are in this situation.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:20 PM

No, cause I had em for 9/12!!!!!!! ****ing bull ****. I deserve to get Scout for my Scout NOT 518.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 05:21 PM

You go tomorrow or you get something that they can't sell. They are giving nothing.

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:23 PM
No, cause I had em for 9/12!!!!!!! ****ing bull ****. I deserve to get Scout for my Scout NOT 518.

Here, Here! Hell Id take Sox cash in place of the ticket cost at this rate. In your case I'd be fit to be tied..

anewman35

As I keep pointing out over and over and over and over, the "tomorrow or April" is for TODAY'S tickets. Yesterday's tickets can be exchanged for any game this year or next year (except opening day and the Cubs) subject to prior ticket sales. You are not restricted to the 500 level or April. See http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/ballpark/cws_ballpark_guide_dir.jsp#RainCancellation.

MCHSoxFan
Are you sure you can't exchange yesterday's tickets for tomorrow? Have you asked? If they said no, did they explain why?

Yes. SOLD OUT in the ENIRE Scout area. They also said for the rest of the season. What i was pissed is that today the guy who was in 133 row 1 for 2:55 could sit in my seats for the 9.12 make-up. That is what I am ****ing pissed about. Why the hell would they do that?! That guys get 2 buffets and 2 front row games while I get nothing? THIS IS WHY I AM MAD!!! 9/12 people should get a make-up game in their damn seats.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
You go tomorrow or you get something that they can't sell. They are giving nothing.

They're within their rights to say "you go tomorrow or nothing". And I wish they had, might have meant less bitching.

sox1970
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Yes. SOLD OUT in the ENIRE Scout area. They also said for the rest of the season. What i was pissed is that today the guy who was in 133 row 1 for 2:55 could sit in my seats for the 9.12 make-up. That is what I am ****ing pissed about. Why the hell would they do that?! That guys get 2 buffets and 2 front row games while I get nothing? THIS IS WHY I AM MAD!!! 9/12 people should get a make-up game in their damn seats.

:violin:

The 9/12 game isn't being played. It doesn't exist, so get over it.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM

Ok, well, that's hardly their fault, is it? The seat is sold to multiple people, they had to choose, they did. It sucks that you got screwed in the deal, but I don't understand what they were supposed to do about it. And, maybe you don't understand this, but because today's DH was canceled nobody is getting to have 2 front row games - tomorrow's two games have seperate tickets.

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Fans with tickets to Saturday's 2:55 p.m. contest may use those tickets for Sunday's first game, or they may exchange those tickets for upper-level seats to any home game in April 2009 (excluding Opening Day, based on availability). All exchanges should be made at the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office, either by mail (333 W. 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60616) or in person

See ya's in APril.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:27 PM
:violin:

The 9/12 game isn't being played. It doesn't exist, so get over it.

Oh yeah thanks. Bitch.

MCHSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Ok, well, that's hardly their fault, is it? The seat is sold to multiple people, they had to choose, they did. It sucks that you got screwed in the deal, but I don't understand what they were supposed to do about it. And, maybe you don't understand this, but because today's DH was canceled nobody is getting to have 2 front row games - tomorrow's two games have seperate tickets.

Okay, forget today's game being tomorrow. I am saying the 9/12 people got screwed.

sox1970
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
Okay, forget today's game being tomorrow. I am saying the 9/12 people got screwed.

:whiner:

I WANT MY BUFFET!!

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:29 PM
I think it's also worth pointing out that, officially, as of now, tomorrow's early game is the makeup of today's (so today's tickets work), and as of now Friday's makeup is unscheduled (so the tickets can be exchanged for any game). The Sox are following their normal proceedures for makeup games, it's just confusing people because they were in back to back days and close to the end of the season, but don't act like they're doing anything unusual.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM

How are they supposed to give you tickets for a game that has not been rescheduled when they've sold that seat for every other game this season? Explain this to me.

TDog
09-13-2008, 05:30 PM
give me a break :rolleyes:

I would be opposed to the White Sox moving home games to a park where their only homefield advantage would be batting last. I would be opposed to playing games that fans in Chicago would want to see to another city, even if the city is only 100 miles away for many Sox fans. When I lived in Waukesha 17 miles from County Stadium/Miller Park, I was 100 miles from Comiskey Park/U.S. Cellular Field. I made the drive many times, but it would be a hardship for many. Forget about mass transit.

Home games should be home games, especially if you are a contending team. What's your problem with that?

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:32 PM

I had tickets for last night and today.
I got tickets exchanged from last night for the sat game vs cleve in a few weeks but looks like April for todays game for me..

They dropped the ball on the whole april 500 level for next year thing.

#1swisher
09-13-2008, 05:33 PM

9-12 people got a sweet half-way to St. Patricks day HAT!:D:

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:35 PM
could be worse - ask Charlie weiss who had a player just tear his ac and mcl.

Ouch..

I'll take the april game ..

Noneck
09-13-2008, 05:37 PM

I agree with your point except for the highlighted portion, but desperate times call for desperate measures. If tomorrows games are canceled this makeup series could put the Sox playoff chances in a world of ****.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 05:37 PM
I received this from the White Sox via email...

SATURDAY'S DOUBLEHEADER POSTPONED DUE TO RAIN;
WHITE SOX TO PLAY SPLIT DOUBLEHEADER SUNDAY

CHICAGO - Saturday's doubleheader between the Chicago White Sox and Detroit Tigers has been postponed due to rain. The two teams will play a split doubleheader on Sunday with the first game at 1:05 p.m. and the second, regularly scheduled contest at 7:05 p.m.

Fans with tickets to Saturday's 2:55 p.m. contest may use those tickets for Sunday's first game, or they may exchange those tickets for upper level tickets to any home game in April 2009 (excluding Opening Day and based on availability). All exchanges should be made at the U.S. Cellular Field Box Office, either by mail (333 W. 35th Street, Chicago, IL 60616) or in person.

The first game of Sunday's doubleheader will be televised by Comcast Sports Net Chicago, while the second will be televised nationally on ESPN. Both games will be broadcast locally on WSCR Radio (670 AM).

Gates to the ballpark will open at approximately noon for the 1:05 p.m. game.

Tickets remain for both games Sunday. For more information, visit whitesox.com.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:39 PM
Typical White Sox.

I suggest you read the back of your ticket, which you agreed to upon purchase.

What the hell should have the Sox done? The final 3 games of they year are options, but you aren't going to get your same seat because tickets have already been sold to those games and they aren't going to displace those people.

You can go to a game in April which should give you plenty of options. They aren't going to let you exchange for a seat to a prime time June or July game...that would be stupid. If you dno't want to go to a game in April because it's too cold, then sell your ticket or give it away to someone.

If you want a refund, again read the back of your ticket. No team in baseball gives refunds.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:40 PM
could be worse - ask Charlie weiss who had a player just tear his ac and mcl.

Ouch..

I'll take the april game ..

The player's probalby having a worse day than Charlie Weiss :tongue:

Law11
09-13-2008, 05:41 PM
I agree with your point except for the highlighted portion, but desperate times call for desperate measures. If tomorrows games are canceled this makeup series could put the Sox playoff chances in a world of ****.

Can you imagine having to play 2 after the season. Say they get you into the postseason which would then play the next day or day after.

The pitching staff could be a mess.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 05:43 PM
Can you imagine having to play 2 after the season. Say they get you into the postseason which would then play the next day or day after.

Yes I do and thats my point to play these games elsewhere.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:44 PM

What the hell should have the Sox done? The final 3 games of they year are options, but you aren't going to get your same seat because tickets have already been sold to those games and they aren't going to displace those people.

You can go to a game in April which should give you plenty of options. They aren't going to let you exchange for a seat to a prime time June or July game...that would be stupid. If you dno't want to go to a game in April because it's too cold, then sell your ticket or give it away to someone.

If you want a refund, again read the back of your ticket. No team in baseball gives refunds.

I don't expect the same seat nor do I expect a refund. I would expect to get equal value for the ticket based on availability. I understand if the 100 level is sold out then they can't exchange your ticket for equal value. I get that.

The April thing is fine, but the fact that they'll send you upstairs is crappy.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:45 PM
How are they supposed to give you tickets for a game that has not been rescheduled when they've sold that seat for every other game this season? Explain this to me.

Apparently you're suppossed to boot out those people....let them deal with the problem.

The back of ticket says date and time subject to change. Even if you bought a ticket for today originally, that game is now scheduled tomorrow. The fact that the Sox are allowing for an exchnage is a good will gesture that they really aren't required to do per the terms on the back of the contract. Yet people are still bitching.

Again, if you don't want to go to a game in the Upper Deck in April, fine...sell your ticket. It sucks, but you can't blame the Sox for this. They are giving fans more options than they agreed upon when they originally bought the ticket.

itsnotrequired
I don't expect the same seat nor do I expect a refund. I would expect to get equal value for the ticket based on availability. I understand if the 100 level is sold out then they can't exchange your ticket for equal value. I get that.

I already bought 6,356 tickets to downstairs in April so none are available. Wow me with an amazing tale and I might let you have one. Otherwise, enjoy your death in the upper deck.

TDog

Playing home games on the road could be worse. And as a former Brewers season ticket holder who dealt with the disappointment that is Miller Park after its lofty promise, I have to say the best thing about the stadium is the relatively inexpensive parking.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:46 PM
I already bought 6,356 tickets to downstairs in April so none are available. Wow me with an amazing tale and I might let you have one. Otherwise, enjoy your death in the upper deck.

Do you get a buffet?

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Do you get a buffet?

I invented the buffet back in 1986. Pay me royalties or meet me at Miller Park, the deciding grounds for all Contests of Might.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 05:49 PM

I know what is written on the back of tic but if the Sox wanted to give something (and they don't), arrangements could be made now for people to exchange tics for the same or similar location in april of next year. Not 500 seats which wont be sold anyway.

sachin
09-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Oh yeah thanks. Bitch.

Please stop complaining because I was supposed to go to the game yesterday with my brother and cannot go. Maybe we were not supposed to go, sometimes that is how life works and it is not worth crying.

DSpivack
I invented the buffet back in 1986. Pay me royalties or meet me at Miller Park, the deciding grounds for all Contests of Might.

Parlay.

UofCSoxFan

I don't know if it will be a mess but we certainly won't get to set our rotation how we want. However, given that we don't have a true number 1 starter I really don't think this would be a huge issue. Keep in mind the Rockies made it to the World Series last year after going balls to the wall just to make the playoffs and then having to play a 163rd game.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
I don't know if it will be a mess but we certainly won't get to set our rotation how we want. However, given that we don't have a true number 1 starter I really don't think this would be a huge issue. Keep in mind the Rockies made it to the World Series last year after going balls to the wall just to make the playoffs and then having to play a 163rd game.
You realize this could turn into a 163, 164, 165 and a playoff 166? Well not really but 4 post season games.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Mike, Mike, Mike, we holders of tickets to last night's game may use our stubs as a gift certificate to any game in 2009. We are not limited to games in April. We may use our lower deck tickets to get a ticket to any non-Cubs or home opener game. If we wish to sit in a seat that's more expensive than our current ticket, we'd just have to pay the difference. But, we are not being relegated to the upper deck.

That link about tickets only being able to be exchanged for upper deck games in April only applies to those with tickets to today's affair, because their game was rescheduled to tomorrow.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
mike's an idiot

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 05:57 PM
Oh yeah thanks. Bitch.
Is your Grandmother this pissed? If she isn't, then you shouldn't be either, because I'm sure she was the one who paid for those.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 05:58 PM
Mike, Mike, Mike, we holders of tickets to last night's game may use our stubs as a gift certificate to any game in 2009. We are not limited to games in April. We may use our lower deck tickets to get a ticket to any non-Cubs or home opener game. If we wish to sit in a seat that's more expensive than our current ticket, we'd just have to pay the difference. But, we are not being relegated to the upper deck.

That link about tickets only being able to be exchanged for upper deck games in April only applies to those with tickets to today's affair, because their game was rescheduled to tomorrow.

I know that.

I didn't have tickets for today, but I still think it's crappy what they are doing for people that had tickets to todays game.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:01 PM
Do people read AT ALL? Nobody is getting the shaft here in any way. In fact, the Sox are doing more than they have to. The Sox could have said that today's game is good for tomorrow, no exceptions. But they're not. And people who had tickets to yesterday's game can exchange them for any remaining regular season game this season, or most next season. What are the Sox supposed to do?

The one not reading is you.

FRIDAY'S PEOPLE ARE SCREWED RIGHT NOW!

They have not mentioned anything of when that game will played and if you can use those tickets for another game (as the option was given to today's 2:55 crowd).

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:06 PM

Another example of you not reading (and then you call everyone else out about reading).

The guy had scout seats for FRIDAY!

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 06:09 PM
According to the Sox schedule, the Sunday 1:05 game is the makeup of Friday's game.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws

anewman35
09-13-2008, 06:10 PM
The one not reading is you.

FRIDAY'S PEOPLE ARE SCREWED RIGHT NOW!

They have not mentioned anything of when that game will played and if you can use those tickets for another game (as the option was given to today's 2:55 crowd).

They are not screwed. They can go to any game this season or next season except opening day and the Cubs games, as long as there are tickets. That's about as far from "screwed" as I can possibly imagine. I'd personally rather have that option than "go tomorrow or next April" like today's ticketholders have.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
According to the Sox schedule, the Sunday 1:05 game is the makeup of Friday's game.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws

Except that's wrong, because when you click to the Ticketmaster page, it says it's a makeup of Saturday's.

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
:shrug:

I would bet only one game gets played tomorrow anyway.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 06:14 PM
Another example of you not reading (and then you call everyone else out about reading).

The guy had scout seats for FRIDAY!

I got that later, but why did the person keep complaining about the upper deck? If you had Scout Seat tickets for yesterday, you can get Scout Seats next year (paying any price difference), but you won't be forced into the upper deck.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
I would be opposed to the White Sox moving home games to a park where their only homefield advantage would be batting last. I would be opposed to playing games that fans in Chicago would want to see to another city, even if the city is only 100 miles away for many Sox fans. When I lived in Waukesha 17 miles from County Stadium/Miller Park, I was 100 miles from Comiskey Park/U.S. Cellular Field. I made the drive many times, but it would be a hardship for many. Forget about mass transit.

Home games should be home games, especially if you are a contending team. What's your problem with that?

Open the ****ing calendar, and get back to me. The season is down to only 2 weeks and 1 day off which both the Tigers and Sox DO NOT SHARE.

Where do you want to slide a full 3 game series to preserve your stuipd desire of "home field advantage?"

- The Sox might be playing both the 29th and 30th right before the play-offs (including a possible tie breaker) .... talk about screwing up your rotation for any possible post season matchup where we would be heavy uderdogs on the road to begin with.

- The field conditions in Chicago, including even if we play in a light drizzle tomorrow, are not in our favor for what alreay appears to be a brittle team. Good luck with Griffey and Busted Groin Owens in CF tomorrow.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 06:26 PM
Open the ****ing calendar, and get back to me. The season is down to only 2 weeks and 1 day off which both the Tigers and Sox DO NOT SHARE.

Where do you want to slide a full 3 game series to preserve your stuipd desire of "home field advantage?"

Do we have any evidence whatsoever that the Sox as a team (either the players or the management or the ownership) WANT to go to Milwaukee for a weekend? I think that would matter.

Everybody won't shut the **** up about pitching matchups in the playoffs, but we have to win games to get there, no matter when the games take place. Worst case scenario, we have to use the 5th starter a few times, or deal with short rest a few times. Best case scenario, we never need the games at all and we got some extra rest for people right now. Calm down. It's not as if they're going to give us back-to-back doubleheaders and then start the playoffs the next day.

sox1970
09-13-2008, 06:27 PM
If they don't play at all this weekend, I think they'll do the following:

Schedule a DH on Monday, September 29 (not a split DH. Tickets used from 9/13 game).

If either game clinches the division or eliminates the Sox, they don't move on.

If they need Game 162, they'll play it Tuesday, September 30 (Tickets used from 9/14 game).

If they need Game 163 against the Twins, it'll be Wednesday, October 1. (Tickets will be sold as a separate game.)

Playoffs start on Thursday or Friday and the pitching staff is completely wiped.

sunofgold
09-13-2008, 06:33 PM
Don't know if this could be done. We are going to have at least one game to make up with Detroit (possibly 2 or 3). We have an off day on 22nd. DET hosts a meaningless game with KC (first game of the series). DET has a game with Cle on the 21st.

Why not cancel or postpone the Monday 22nd between DET and KC? DET comes from CLE on the 21st to CHICAGO for 1 game (hopefully) or 2 games?

That wouldn't make our schedule too pretty. Play 3 in KC. Going home for 1 day, then play MIN for three. Three-four games in three different cities in 3 different days.

Have they every cancelled a meaningless game, so that a meaningful game could be player? But as I type this, I realize this option would suck. At least any games played at the end of the season (including possible tiebreaker with MIN would be played at home after a home series with CLEVELAND.

This is a mess. Also, you never know if we are going to have any more rainouts this season.

Playoffs could easily be pushed back though. Just throwing another idea out there even if it is kinda sucky. We already lost the end of suspended home game which we lost in Baltimore.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
Do we have any evidence whatsoever that the Sox as a team (either the players or the management or the ownership) WANT to go to Milwaukee for a weekend? I think that would matter.

Everybody won't shut the **** up about pitching matchups in the playoffs, but we have to win games to get there, no matter when the games take place. Worst case scenario, we have to use the 5th starter a few times, or deal with short rest a few times. Best case scenario, we never need the games at all and we got some extra rest for people right now. Calm down. It's not as if they're going to give us back-to-back doubleheaders and then start the playoffs the next day.

I don't think it's in the Sox hands to make this decision. MLB (and it's bright Selig thinking staff) is who needs to suggest this to them. And it wouldn't hurt if the Sox would propose this rather than the alternative which is to play the 29th and 30th of ths month.

Even the Cubs were bright enough to make this suggestion to the Astros and MLB, but it works to their benefit. This would work in the Sox benefit also just to avoid 3 makeups at the end of the season. Who cares if you lose the home crowd, a home crowd which will be soaked and perhaps no more than 10,000 will show up to begin with.

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 06:34 PM
This whole argument about tickets for this weekend is going to be pointless.

The only time there's a less than 80% chance of rain tomorrow is between 7 and 8 pm, when there's a 79% chance of rain.
The arm of the hurricane hooked up with the tail of the system that has been parked over Chicago for the past two days and we're in for another 36 hours of rain.

After which, the storm moves east, to New York, along with the Sox.

TDog
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM

- The Sox might be playing both the 29th and 30th right before the play-offs (including a possible tie breaker) .... talk about screwing up your rotation for any possible post season matchup where we would be heavy uderdogs on the road to begin with.

- The field conditions in Chicago, including even if we play in a light drizzle tomorrow, are not in our favor for what alreay appears to be a brittle team. Good luck with Griffey and Busted Groin Owens in CF tomorrow.

I was aware of the calendar before I made the original post. Your argument is irrelevant. Home games should be home games. If they have to extend the season, so be it. Playing home games in another city is a worse alternative than waiting for the weather to clear.

If the Sox and Twins were to finish with the same record and on the eve of the playoff game two feet of snow fell on U.S. Cellular Field, I wouldn't want the league to move the game to the Metrodome for expediency. I wouldn't even want the game to be moved to Miller Park.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:38 PM
This whole argument about tickets for this weekend is going to be pointless.

The only time there's a less than 80% chance of rain tomorrow is between 7 and 8 pm, when there's a 79% chance of rain.
The arm of the hurricane hooked up with the tail of the system that has been parked over Chicago for the past two days and we're in for another 36 hours of rain.

After which, the storm moves east, to New York, along with the Sox.

That's the funny part of all this. We are not escaping the rain. Playoffs might have to be pushed to start in November at this pace.

Unreal.

Meanwhile, all the domes appear to be vacant this weekend.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
I didn't have tickets for the weekend. I'm not screwed! :bandance:

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:40 PM
I was aware of the calendar before I made the original post. Your argument is irrelevant. Home games should be home games. If they have to extend the season, so be it. Playing home games in another city is a worse alternative than waiting for the weather to clear.

If the Sox and Twins were to finish with the same record and on the eve of the playoff game two feet of snow fell on U.S. Cellular Field, I wouldn't want the league to move the game to the Metrodome for expediency. I wouldn't even want the game to be moved to Miller Park.

Cry me a damn river.

How bad did it hurt the Indians to go up to Miller Park last year to host the Angels?

dakuda
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
That was fun.

Drive to the park, pay parking, get halfway to the gate and hear the game is canceled.

Oh well.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 06:41 PM
That's the funny part of all this. We are not escaping the rain. Playoffs might have to be pushed to start in November at this pace.

Unreal.

Meanwhile, all the domes appear to be vacant this weekend.'

:darkclouds:

They're following the Sox!

jcw218
09-13-2008, 06:42 PM

Unreal.

Meanwhile, all the domes appear to be vacant this weekend.

I know that the baggie dome had/has home games for the University of Minnesota and Vikings this weekend. The games at Houston cancelled for obvious reasons. Miller had a charity event scheduled for this weekend that included the use of the field. That leaves Rogers Center and The Trop as the only open domes.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 06:42 PM
Cry me a damn river.

Please don't. We don't need anymore moisture here.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
I know that the baggie dome had/has home games for the University of Minnesota and Vikings this weekend. The games at Houston cancelled for obvious reasons. Miller had a charity event scheduled for this weekend that included the use of the field. That leaves Rogers Center and The Trop as the only open domes.

Toronto's CFL team had a game friday night.

anewman35
I don't think it's in the Sox hands to make this decision. MLB (and it's bright Selig thinking staff) is who needs to suggest this to them. And it wouldn't hurt if the Sox would propose this rather than the alternative which is to play the 29th and 30th of ths month.

Even the Cubs were bright enough to make this suggestion to the Astros and MLB, but it works to their benefit. This would work in the Sox benefit also just to avoid 3 makeups at the end of the season. Who cares if you lose the home crowd, a home crowd which will be soaked and perhaps no more than 10,000 will show up to begin with.

I guess I'm just in the minority, but I really don't 3 makeups at the end of the season is the horror scenario people think it is. If we don't play at all this weekend, we get to use our top starters on extra rest against the Yankees. Then we can use Richard or Broadway the first game against KC and, with the off day, we can use some combination of the top 4 against Minnasota on normal rest. Beyond that seems pretty silly to worry about now, since unless we can win some games it won't even matter.

SoxGirl4Life
'

:darkclouds:

They're following the Sox!

Is it revenge of the dark clouds? I hope the pants pissing crowd isn't planning something too! :o:

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 06:46 PM
Don't know if this could be done. We are going to have at least one game to make up with Detroit (possibly 2 or 3). We have an off day on 22nd. DET hosts a meaningless game with KC (first game of the series). DET has a game with Cle on the 21st.

Why not cancel or postpone the Monday 22nd between DET and KC? DET comes from CLE on the 21st to CHICAGO for 1 game (hopefully) or 2 games?

That wouldn't make our schedule too pretty. Play 3 in KC. Going home for 1 day, then play MIN for three. Three-four games in three different cities in 3 different days.

Have they every cancelled a meaningless game, so that a meaningful game could be player? But as I type this, I realize this option would suck. At least any games played at the end of the season (including possible tiebreaker with MIN would be played at home after a home series with CLEVELAND.

This is a mess. Also, you never know if we are going to have any more rainouts this season.

Playoffs could easily be pushed back though. Just throwing another idea out there even if it is kinda sucky. We already lost the end of suspended home game which we lost in Baltimore.

Creative idea but the KC Det game is not meaningless to the fans that have tickets to the game, to players on both teams that have incentives tied to performance and most importantly to ownership of the home team that would miss a ticket gate and to the Royals broadcast partner that would lose advertising revenue.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 06:46 PM

I think this is actually a VERY good idea! It's not like the KC/Detroit games mean anything anyways, so they're not important. Your idea is very logical.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:47 PM

Sea was open too, but that's on the other side of the world.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
I think this is actually a VERY good idea! It's not like the KC/Detroit games mean anything anyways, so they're not important. Your idea is very logical.

Fans here are pissed because they got "screwed" because of rain. Can you imagine how pissed fans of other teams would be if they got screwed to help out the Sox?

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 06:48 PM
Please don't. We don't need anymore moisture here.

lol .... now that was funny right there.

TDog
09-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Cry me a damn river.

How bad did it hurt the Indians to go up to Miller Park last year to host the Angels?

You're the one crying and invoking the language filter. I'm suggesting the White Sox shouldn't play home games in Milwaukee. It wasn't a good idea 40 years ago when nothing was at stake. There is no indication that the White Sox will play home games in Milwaukee, that Sox management would approve or oppose the move or that baseball is willing to make such a move.

The fact that Cleveland won two of three games against the Angels in Milwaukee in April 2007 is irrelevant. I could see where the Cubs would be happy to transfer Houston home games to Milwaukee in late September because that would turn them into quasi-Cubs home games.

jcw218
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM

Did not know what events were scheduled there outside of baseball.

Forgot about safeco.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
You're the one crying and invoking the language filter. I'm suggesting the White Sox shouldn't play home games in Milwaukee. It wasn't a good idea 40 years ago when nothing was at stake. There is no indication that the White Sox will play home games in Milwaukee, that Sox management would approve or oppose the move or that baseball is willing to make such a move.

The fact that Cleveland won two of three games against the Angels in Milwaukee in April 2007 is irrelevant. I could see where the Cubs would be happy to transfer Houston home games to Milwaukee in late September because that would turn them into quasi-Cubs home games.

Once again your missing the urgency here which is the fact that we will have to pile on 3 games to the back end of the 2008 regular season schedule. There are only 2 weeks of baseball left.

If that's the case, kiss whatever WS hopes we had goodbye. The starting staff and bullpen will be extremely taxed at that point.

And shame on the Sox if they did not look into the Milwaukee option themselves, seeing that by AM Friday we all knew this entire series was going to be a wash out.

jcw218
09-13-2008, 07:01 PM

Did not know what events were scheduled for the Rogers Center other than baseball.

Forgot about Safeco.

There could be a monster truck rally at the Trop for all we know.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 07:04 PM
And shame on the Sox if they did not look into the Milwaukee option themselves, seeing that by AM Friday we all knew this entire series was going to be a wash out.

We knew no such thing. The Sox planned to play yesterday, the umps made the decision not to. And weather.com currently says "rain diminishing to a few showers by afternoon". Seems a pretty decent shot we can get at least one game in.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 07:04 PM
Fans here are pissed because they got "screwed" because of rain. Can you imagine how pissed fans of other teams would be if they got screwed to help out the Sox?
They'd be pissing off much less fans if they did do it that way. It WOULD be the most logical and convenient thing for MLB to do. You wouldn't want the playoffs to possibly extend into November, would you?

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 07:07 PM
They'd be pissing off much less fans if they did do it that way. It WOULD be the most logical and convenient thing for MLB to do. You wouldn't want the playoffs to possibly extend into November, would you?

This will never happen. If the Sox were out of it and we got screwed out of games, this place would burn down.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 07:07 PM

Explain the "logic" to the fans of Detroit who are getting screwed to help out a rival, and to the management of the Detroit Tigers, who lose a home date for no reason other to help out same rival? Nevermind the fact that I don't see how it's any better for the White Sox to cram in a doubleheader and really **** up the pitching staff before the all-important Minnesota series.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
I read all the posts of moving or not moving this series, well now its all a moot point. But I have a sneaky suspicion that this option was not implemented because of the almighty greenback. Decisions are always about money. Oh well such is life.

TDog
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Once again your missing the urgency here which is the fact that we will have to pile on 3 games to the back end of the 2008 regular season schedule. There are only 2 weeks of baseball left.

If that's the case, kiss whatever WS hopes we had goodbye. The starting staff and bullpen will be extremely taxed at that point.

Moving games to Milwaukee in September would be a greater hardship than playing any if-necessary games at the end of the season.

Shame on you for wanting to screw people out of their scout seats.

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
Explain the "logic" to the fans of Detroit who are getting screwed to help out a rival, and to the management of the Detroit Tigers, who lose a home date for no reason other to help out same rival? Nevermind the fact that I don't see how it's any better for the White Sox to cram in a doubleheader and really **** up the pitching staff before the all-important Minnesota series.

And not to mention if the Tigers throw a Triple A team out there for these three games after the last game of the season

The Twins would have a cow. And rightfully so

Law11
09-13-2008, 07:22 PM
We knew no such thing. The Sox planned to play yesterday, the umps made the decision not to. And weather.com currently says "rain diminishing to a few showers by afternoon". Seems a pretty decent shot we can get at least one game in.

per the natl weather service as of 6pm

And don't expect a respite any time soon: the remnants of Hurricane Ike are expected to provide the Chicago region with a 60 percent chance of an additional seven inches of rain, according to the National Weather Service. The storm is expected to hit hardest in Northwest Indiana and southern Will County.

Nothing is getting played this weekend. its not safe to be on that field regardless of who runs the grounds crew.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 07:25 PM
per the natl weather service as of 6pm

And don't expect a respite any time soon: the remnants of Hurricane Ike are expected to provide the Chicago region with a 60 percent chance of an additional seven inches of rain, according to the National Weather Service. The storm is expected to hit hardest in Northwest Indiana and southern Will County.

Nothing is getting played this weekend. its not safe to be on that field regardless of who runs the grounds crew.

Does it say when? Because it can rain all day, doesn't mean we can't get the night game in. And, assuming none of us are groundskeepers or engineers, we have no idea what that field can take. It's silly to assume you know.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 07:32 PM
Does it say when? Because it can rain all day, doesn't mean we can't get the night game in. And, assuming none of us are groundskeepers or engineers, we have no idea what that field can take. It's silly to assume you know.

Forecast right now says 30% chance of rain in the morning and afternoon, 20% chance and clearer at night.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 07:33 PM

the field can take a ton of rain. as long as the drain pipes don't plug or something, the field can be ready to be played on within an hour after it has stopped raining. the infield is the concern as it drains for **** but with the tarp on, it is a non issue.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 07:55 PM
The brunt of Ike will go south I think towards Peoria.

If they play tomorrow, it will be ESPN

kitekrazy
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
And not to mention if the Tigers throw a Triple A team out there for these three games after the last game of the season

The Twins would have a cow. And rightfully so

Maybe not since the Sox can't hit Triple A pitching.

sunofgold
09-13-2008, 09:23 PM
Can we play a DH against DET in Chicago on Monday. Weather is suppose to be better. DET is playing a 3 game set in TEX, but both DET and TEX have the 18th as an open date. DET & TEX cancel their scheduled meeting on Monday and play the game on Thursday (open date for both).

Then, of course, we cancel the game against NYY on Monday (there might be bad weather in NYY on Monday anyways). Then, we have to add a doubleheader to one of the game Tues-Thursday.

Still sucky, but all of the options are.

Getting back to my idea about cancelling the KC @ DET game. The cancelled game could possibly be scheduled as doubleheader within that series. Either Tuesday or Wednesday. It would be like having a rainout and then making it up.

And teams have lost games meaningless game before and not replayed them. Blame the baddest mutha of them all..Nature.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Can we play a DH against DET in Chicago on Monday. Weather is suppose to be better. DET is playing a 3 game set in TEX, but both DET and TEX have the 18th as an open date. DET & TEX cancel their scheduled meeting on Monday and play the game on Thursday (open date for both).

Then, of course, we cancel the game against NYY on Monday (there might be bad weather in NYY on Monday anyways). Then, we have to add a DH to one of the game Tues-Thursday.

Still sucky, but all of the options are.

Getting back to my idea about cancelling the KC @ DET game. The cancelled game could possibly be scheduled as doubleheader within that series. Either Tuesday or Wednesday. It would be like having a rainout and then making it up.

And teams have lost games meaningless game before and not replayed them. Blame the baddest mutha of them all..Nature.

Again, it might be a creative idea, but it's not happening. The thought of New York cancelling a game in the last week of Yankee Stadium's history is laughable.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 09:36 PM

Nobody is canceling a game so that we can be spared a little inconvienice. I assure you they';d rather inconvienice us than their fans.

sunofgold
09-13-2008, 09:36 PM
Okay this one is meant to be a joke. The other two attempts were serious, this one is meant to be fun.

WHITE SOX and Yankees cancel the Monday 15th game and that game is made up on the 22th (open date for both teams).

The WHITE SOX close out historic Yankee Stadium with hopefully a WHITE SOX winner. hahaah! Then I could see Swisher pushing down a lever that causes a whole bunch of TNT to detonate the place. Then he and some other players can do their hip bumps.

Somebody screwed up the schedule....how can you not end the Yankee home schedule with them playing the red sox. Guess they were assuming the Yankees would make the postseason or something like that. Unless they wanted to increase their chance of the ending Yankee stadium with a regular season win against the Ohs.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 09:37 PM
Okay this one is meant to be a joke. The other two attempts were serious, this one is meant to be fun.

WHITE SOX and Yankees cancel the Monday 15th game and that game is made up on the 22th (open date for both teams).

The WHITE SOX close out historic Yankee Stadium with hopefully a WHITE SOX winner. hahaah! Then I could see Swisher pushing down a lever that causes a whole bunch of TNT to detonate the place. Then he and some other players can do their hip bumps.

Somebody screwed up the schedule....how can you not end the Yankee home schedule with them playing the red sox. Guess they were assuming the Yankees would make the postseason or something like that. Unless they wanted to increase their chance of the ending Yankee stadium with a regular season win against the Ohs.

Again, the Yankees are not changing their schedule, of closing out the final days of their historic park, just so they could convenience another team.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 09:37 PM

How old are you, 10 ?

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 10:03 PM
all stadiums should be available to all teams at all times as suited to their desires

salty99
09-13-2008, 10:11 PM
I heard that Kane County, Joliet, and Schaumburg are also free.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 10:14 PM
I heard that Kane County, Joliet, and Schaumburg are also free.

Kane County is a dump.

Joliet is awesome. Hell, they've welcomed plenty of former White Sox players to the Jackhammers, might as well welcome current ones.

Schaumburg is sweet, but will be murder setting up for a broadcast. The playing field has the exact dimensions of Wrigley Field too.

Tragg
09-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Let's see - Selig sent the Astros to play in Milwaukee? I think we're lucky that he didn't send us to the twinkie dome to finish this series.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 11:48 PM
FWIW, Brandon Inge will be unavailable tomorrow for the Tigers.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 12:17 AM
Let's see - Selig sent the Astros to play in Milwaukee? I think we're lucky that he didn't send us to the twinkie dome to finish this series.
Holy crap, I just checked cubs.com, they're actually doing it LOL

I might have to make a little road trip

Fenway
09-14-2008, 12:52 AM
Just called a friend who works as a weatherman at Accuweather in State College, PA. He said it is very doubtful they can get the afternoon game in but might be able to play tomorrow night.

They expect the heaviest rainfall of the entire weekend will occur Sunday afternoon.

My understanding is the White Sox have no say in this as MLB rules mandate that when a team is making their last trip into a city the crew chief makes the call and not the team. I am really surprised that they cancelled Saturday night so quickly and not try to wait it out as long as possible.

If ether of the games on Sunday is rained out you may well see a situation where either Detroit or Chicago will be forced to play in 2 cities on the same day. This happened a few years ago with I believe Cleveland.

There is no way MLB will allow 2 or 3 games to be backloaded at the end of regular season especially given that a one game playoff may well have to be played as well.

Given the short flight time between Detroit and Chicago the one team in two cities will most likely happen if either game tomorrow is called.

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 12:54 AM

I take it that you're joking, but I seriously wouldn't be that surprised if this actually happened.

whitesox901
09-14-2008, 01:22 AM
so im guessing one of the games will be played the monday we have off?

Foulke You
09-14-2008, 01:27 AM
Just called a friend who works as a weatherman at Accuweather in State College, PA. He said it is very doubtful they can get the afternoon game in but might be able to play tomorrow night.

They expect the heaviest rainfall of the entire weekend will occur Sunday afternoon.

My understanding is the White Sox have no say in this as MLB rules mandate that when a team is making their last trip into a city the crew chief makes the call and not the team. I am really surprised that they cancelled Saturday night so quickly and not try to wait it out as long as possible.

If ether of the games on Sunday is rained out you may well see a situation where either Detroit or Chicago will be forced to play in 2 cities on the same day. This happened a few years ago with I believe Cleveland.

There is no way MLB will allow 2 or 3 games to be backloaded at the end of regular season especially given that a one game playoff may well have to be played as well.

Given the short flight time between Detroit and Chicago the one team in two cities will most likely happen if either game tomorrow is called.
I'm not sure how they could fit it unless they had the Tigers fly out to Chicago for an 10:30 or 11AM start time on 9/26 and then they'd fly back to Detroit at the conclusion of the game and play at Comerica against the Rays on Friday the 26th with the Sox staying home to play the Indians at night. The bottom line is, one makeup game is going to be tough enough to fit in but two or three will be a mess for the Sox. They have to try like hell to get that double header in Sunday. Perhaps they can get game 1 started by 3PM.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 01:39 AM

Maybe they could play two on Sep. 22, and move the KC/DET game to Sep 24 as a day/nighter. It would suck for the Sox playing two games before the Twins series, but this is an ugly situation any way you slice it.

The Tigers have a home game Wednesday night, and day game in Tampa the next day. What kind of ****ed up schedule is that?

Fenway
09-14-2008, 01:58 AM
I am surpised MLB didn't move the Sunday games scheduled for Chicago simply to guarantee at least 2 games being played.
With the Cubs being in Milwaukee and the Twinkiedome hosting the Vikings I can see where options were limited to perhaps Toronto or St Pete but still that would be better than trying to make up 2 or 3 games in the next 2 weeks.

psyclonis
09-14-2008, 02:16 AM
Hopefully they'll at least get one game in.
A Monday game vs the Tigers at KC and a home game on the 29th seem probable.
Or... a night game vs the Tigers at KC on the 21st

Fenway
09-14-2008, 02:21 AM
MLB has to create a mandatory off day for all 30 teams in the final 2 weeks of the season to prevent this.

Compounding Sunday is the ESPN Sunday night game at 7. How long can they wait Sunday afternoon given the fact you have to empty the park and the parking lots for the second game?

From what friends have told me they could have gotten at least 5 innings in Saturday night and also could have played on Friday as well.

Also looming is a lot of rain will be generated by what is left of Ike which will mean more rainouts somewhere.

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 02:35 AM
From what friends have told me they could have gotten at least 5 innings in Saturday night and also could have played on Friday as well.
It didn't rain overly much tonight for that to be impossible. There was a slot of a couple of hours where it wasn't raining at all, and then it pretty much has drizzled or had light rain for the better portion of the evening. There were very few periods of steady rain. This whole thing was pretty poorly thought out, IMHO.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 03:05 AM
It didn't rain overly much tonight for that to be impossible. There was a slot of a couple of hours where it wasn't raining at all, and then it pretty much has drizzled or had light rain for the better portion of the evening. There were very few periods of steady rain. This whole thing was pretty poorly thought out, IMHO.

This indeed was not thought out well.

Yes MLB was also faced with the Cubs-Astros problem but given that the Cubs have a larger lead and the Astros have a slim shot at the WC their games might not be needed to decide the NL slots. The White Sox games given the standings are much more critical.

Hopefully they can play 2 on Sunday but if it continues to look bad just load everybody on a bus and head for Milwaukee and play when the Cubs finish. Otherwise we could see a nutty situation where the Sox have to play in the afternoon of the 29th and then possibly play a tiebreaker with the Twins that night.

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 03:13 AM
Hopefully they can play 2 on Sunday but if it continues to look bad just load everybody on a bus and head for Milwaukee and play when the Cubs finish. Otherwise we could see a nutty situation where the Sox have to play in the afternoon of the 29th and then possibly play a tiebreaker with the Twins that night.
That would be impossible. The Cubs game in Milwaukee has been scheduled for 7:05 PM central time. They're playing one game tomorrow night and the other game on Monday afternoon. I do not understand why we couldn't have used Miller Park TODAY in the emergency, since the forecast had rain all day anyways, to get in the DH.

SoxGirl4Life
09-14-2008, 04:04 AM

The forecast was for non-stop rain all afternoon and evening. If they waited and tried to play but then had to cancel, people would still be pissed. More comments like the ones that were posted here Friday and Saturday: "Typical White Sox. Keep the fans at the park just for the concessions knowing the games will be called."

Damned if they do, damned if they don't.

FWIW, I, too, think priority should have been given to try to get the Sox games in over the Cubs/Astros. Even if we win these makeup games, our pitching staff will be taxed for the playoffs. Worst case scenario, our opponent will be resting while we're fighting for our lives.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-14-2008, 04:16 AM
This is unbelieveable. I got tickets for Sunday's night game because Monday's game was rained out, and now this game is probably going to get rained out. I can't win.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 06:26 AM
Early morning radar shows heavy rain around St Louis tracking towards Chicago. My company had to pull a rabbit out of a hat to get an HD truck to Milwaukee on short notice. We wound up moving trucks in Pittsburgh to Milwaukee and sending the ones in Houston to Pittsburgh. Still a tight window but GPS shows we should be OK.

In another couple of years all trucks will be HD so this won't be as much of a headache.

Already we are scratching our heads about possible tie-breaker games on the 29th.

cbone
09-14-2008, 08:23 AM
Radar looks very bad this am. We are just noiw geting the front edge of the hurricane and Chicago is smack in the middle of it. I guess IF it goes through by this afternoon and IF the field can drain, they MIGHt be able to get the 2nd game. The hurricane still looks pretty huge. :(:

Fenway
09-14-2008, 08:37 AM
CNN is saying people living along the Chicago River are being evacuated on the NW Side and the city is looking at 10 inches of rain in 36 hours. Roger is a miracle worker but this is pushing the envelope and that is assuming it stops raining.

Don't be surprised if they wait as late as Midnight to get at least one game in. It happened last year in Detroit where they had a 4 hour delay and the same will apply tonight. They HAVE to get one game played somehow today.

harwar
09-14-2008, 09:07 AM
I was wondering why the White Sox - Tigers series couldn't have been played in Milwaukee .. its not like we didn't know this system was coming.
The cubs have a six game lead while the White Sox and Twins are deadlocked.
It will be a miracle if we play a game today and then we will have to play after the season is over .. maybe..

Vernam
09-14-2008, 09:21 AM
I was wondering why the White Sox - Tigers series couldn't have been played in Milwaukee .. its not like we didn't know this system was coming.
The cubs have a six game lead while the White Sox and Twins are deadlocked.
It will be a miracle if we play a game today and then we will have to play after the season is over .. maybe..I've wondered the same thing. The difference is that the Cubs/Astros were smack in the storm's path, but no one foresaw what has happened here in Chicago. According to the Trib, yesterday was the rainiest day here ever. In retrospect, we should've asked for dibs on Milwaukee's stadium. With some foresight by Selig, even yesterday they could have accommodated both series there. But now it's too late for that.

Vernam

Jaffar
09-14-2008, 09:41 AM
So will the postpone the first game and try and play the 2nd or will they let people in for the first game and keep them there until a game starts postponing the 2nd game? I have tickets from Saturday and I am just trying to figure out what will happen since clearly there will not be an early game.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 09:49 AM
It looks like this system is moving fast enough to get out of here by tonight.

One game looks possible--unfortunately I'll have to hear Jon Miller and Joe Morgan, but it is a game.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 09:50 AM
So will the postpone the first game and try and play the 2nd or will they let people in for the first game and keep them there until a game starts postponing the 2nd game? I have tickets from Saturday and I am just trying to figure out what will happen since clearly there will not be an early game.

I think they'll call Game 1 early enough to keep people away, and then just play the regular Game 2. It's a mess.

cbone
09-14-2008, 09:52 AM
I have tickets for both games today. I got up, heard the rain, looked at the radar, and ran to the store to get the fixings for a pot roast dinner. What a miserable weekend. :gulp:

Fenway
09-14-2008, 10:15 AM
Yes the system is chugging along but how much rain can USCF absorb? Ten inches of rain in 36 hours just maybe too much for even Roger to fix.

ESPN has a fail safe as they can just drive Miller and Morgan to Milwaukee and let Comcast sit on the night game at USCF. They will wait til midnight if they have to as they absolutely have to play one game somehow.

Only good news for the White Sox is great weather is ahead in NY for those 4 games. No way to the Yankees agree to postpone any of those games with all the hoopla planned for Yankee Stadium. The final game in The Stadium will be on the night of the 28th and I doubt that will change with all the plans they have. ( be funny as heck if that got rained out - would the Yankees still play Baltimore on the 29th? - absolutely

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Yes the system is chugging along but how much rain can USCF absorb? Ten inches of rain in 36 hours just maybe too much for even Roger to fix.

ESPN has a fail safe as they can just drive Miller and Morgan to Milwaukee and let Comcast sit on the night game at USCF. They will wait til midnight if they have to as they absolutely have to play one game somehow.

Only good news for the White Sox is great weather is ahead in NY for those 4 games. No way to the Yankees agree to postpone any of those games with all the hoopla planned for Yankee Stadium. The final game in The Stadium will be on the night of the 28th and I doubt that will change with all the plans they have. ( be funny as heck if that got rained out - would the Yankees still play Baltimore on the 29th? - absolutely

Yeah but if the Sox play tonight and the game goes to 1 AM this team is going to be toast for the Yankees game tomorrow considering they wouldn't get into New York until early-mid morning.

This lack of a series might just kill us. It's very disappointing.

And as for USCF takign 10-15 inches of rain in a 36 hour period, I do not know what Roger can do about that. And the local flooding around the stadium would not be good for fans or the neighborhood. I really do not see how they get any games in today.

Law11
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM

This is not a question of how much the field can take. Do you want to lose a guy slipping on the soaked grass in the OF. We have no room left for another injury..

call it what this is. A bad situation that could be a nightmare to try to play in.
That field's grass will still feel like a sponge even if it all drains. Its still grass. Real easy to get a cleat caught in the grass as you plant because even the sand that the lawn is rooted on will give under pressure.

You dont need to be an engineer to look outside and realize there are limits to what man can do under these circumstances.

Could they play late tonight. Im not saying no but if someone gets hurt you'll never hear the end of it.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-14-2008, 10:48 AM
The difference is that the Cubs/Astros were smack in the storm's path, but no one foresaw what has happened here in Chicago. According to the Trib, yesterday was the rainiest day here ever.

I figured on Friday that if the Flubs somehow swooned this season, "Ike" would join "Bartman" in the semiotics of loserdom. But it's happened more quickly than that: this morning I heard a sports radio announcer trash the Cubs fans who'd emailed him complaining about the Astros players not leaving their families a couple of days ago and jumping on a plane to get this series in pronto. He commented to the effect that for folks who believe in curses, this sort of ranting was tempting fate in a big way.

I was outdoors from 9:30 to 12:30 yesterday and it rained only for about 15 minutes total, and then very lightly. Hard to believe that it could have been worse than the highest single day rainfall on record, but I guess it could, and still might.

soxfanreggie
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
What's it like up there? If it's anything like it is 2 hours southwest, there won't be a game.

Law11
09-14-2008, 10:53 AM
What's it like up there? If it's anything like it is 2 hours southwest, there won't be a game.

its been pouring all morning with no end until tonight sometime.
So much for those goofy 30% chance predictions from yesterday
on weather.com.. What a joke.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM
Yeah but if the Sox play tonight and the game goes to 1 AM this team is going to be toast for the Yankees game tomorrow considering they wouldn't get into New York until early-mid morning.

This lack of a series might just kill us. It's very disappointing.

And as for USCF takign 10-15 inches of rain in a 36 hour period, I do not know what Roger can do about that. And the local flooding around the stadium would not be good for fans or the neighborhood. I really do not see how they get any games in today.

I just looked at the radar and it shows yellow and red all the way to St Louis and tracking towards Chicago.

Somebody has to plead with Bud to let Detroit and White Sox board a bus and play 2 in Milwaukee TODAY and tell the Cubs to play two in Milwaukee tomorrow. Just refund the tickets the Cubs sold for today and do it. ESPN would still have a Sunday game and the nightmare of making up games is reduced to one.

Anybody have a better idea? The last thing the White Sox need is to play a Tigers team on the 29th upset that they can't go home.

alohafri
09-14-2008, 11:00 AM
It has been raining pretty steadily here since 7:00 am. Who knows what it did overnight. The only way we play today is if Moses comes down and parts the Chicago River (which apparently is over flowing its banks in places).

Brian26
09-14-2008, 11:01 AM
It has been raining pretty steadily here since 7:00 am. Who knows what it did overnight. The only way we play today is if Moses comes down and parts the Chicago River (which apparently is over flowing its banks in places).

How many games of XBox baseball did you play this weekend?

alohafri
09-14-2008, 11:03 AM
I just looked at the radar and it shows yellow and red all the way to St Louis and tracking towards Chicago.

Somebody has to plead with Bud to let Detroit and White Sox board a bus and play 2 in Milwaukee TODAY and tell the Cubs to play two in Milwaukee tomorrow. Just refund the tickets the Cubs sold for today and do it. ESPN would still have a Sunday game and the nightmare of making up games is reduced to one.

Anybody have a better idea? The last thing the White Sox need is to play a Tigers team on the 29th upset that they can't go home.

They could just cancel the season and hand the trophy to the cubs. That's what Selig wants anyway.

alohafri
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM
How many games of XBox baseball did you play this weekend?

None, but the 1980 Sox are faring pretty well in Basball Mogul 2007! :D:

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 11:04 AM

This makes way too much sense to actually happen. Then again, Tigers-White Sox in Milwaukee doesn't benefit the Brewers, so Selig wouldn't go for it.

anewman35
09-14-2008, 11:05 AM
Weather.com is showing the chance of rain down to 30% at 3 and 20% at 6, and if you look at the radar, the entire state of Illinois is covered in rain, but behind that looks clear. I don't know about field conditions, but if Bossard is as good as they always say I bet they get a game in today.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
They should play 2 games of jai-alai

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:13 AM
This is insanity. It is pouring here in North Aurora. I'm not going to venture down to the Cell. These Saturday tickets can be exchanged for a game next season, so that is what I'm going to do.

Maybe it will break in time for them to play a game tonight, but there's no way in hell the first game starts at 1 p.m.

SoxGirl4Life
09-14-2008, 11:22 AM

Of course it makes sense, but it will never happen. We're gonna end up getting screwed unless we can roll off a 10 game streak here on this road trip.

downstairs
09-14-2008, 11:24 AM
Looking at the map, it seems nothing will clear out until 4pm or so. Why didn't they just do a traditional double-header starting at 3-4pm?

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:28 AM
Looking at the map, it seems nothing will clear out until 4pm or so. Why didn't they just do a traditional double-header starting at 3-4pm?

Cash money. Simple answer.

FielderJones
09-14-2008, 11:31 AM
This is insanity. It is pouring here in North Aurora. I'm not going to venture down to the Cell. These Saturday tickets can be exchanged for a game next season, so that is what I'm going to do.

Maybe it will break in time for them to play a game tonight, but there's no way in hell the first game starts at 1 p.m.

Is that official? I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as you. I haven't found notification on the Sox site to that effect.

anewman35
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Is that official? I'm in the same boat (pun intended) as you. I haven't found notification on the Sox site to that effect.

As of now, they can be exchanged for an upper deck ticket in April. http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3467938&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws I suspect if today gets rained out, they might be able to be exchanged for any game, like Friday's are.

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:37 AM

That was in the e-mail I got. They can be exchanged for an upper-level seat for any 2009 game, excluding Opening Day and the Cubs series.

Edit: I stand corrected, anewman35's post is right. They can be turned in for upper-level tickets for an April 2009 game. That's what I intend to do. Even if Game 1 is played, a lengthy delay is a certainty.

itsnotrequired
09-14-2008, 11:40 AM

The answer is there is no time to change the decision. Today's afternoon game is the makeup from Saturday. If they did this as a true doubleheader, those with tix for tonight would be screwed. They would have had to made this decision yesterday.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 11:47 AM
The answer is there is no time to change the decision. Today's afternoon game is the makeup from Saturday. If they did this as a true doubleheader, those with tix for tonight would be screwed. They would have had to made this decision yesterday.

Well couldn't they have said the tickets to Sunday Nights game are the only tickets good for the doubleheader? Maybe they cannot do that. But who knows. Weather sucks.

Taliesinrk
09-14-2008, 11:50 AM
sorry if this has already been asked, but does that mean tonight's ESPN game (since it's not televised on WCIU, WGN, or CSN) is not blacked out for those of us in the blackout area?

itsnotrequired
09-14-2008, 11:53 AM
Well couldn't they have said the tickets to Sunday Nights game are the only tickets good for the doubleheader? Maybe they cannot do that. But who knows. Weather sucks.

They could have but people with Saturday tix would be preemptively screwed. Then those people would be bitching about the Sox not even trying a split doubleheader. This really is a lose-lose for everyone involved.

When will those lazy scientists develop those weather control machines we've all heard so much about? Probably too busy sleeping on a pile of money with many beautiful ladies. Typical...

Frankfan4life
09-14-2008, 11:54 AM
Are they going to try to start the first game in this downpour? What happens to the fans who come for the first game and it's still raining? At some point they have to let us out and let the other fans in. What kind of time frame are they going to allow for that if the first game is still in rain delay?

Law11
09-14-2008, 11:55 AM

which is ridiculous considering it'll be an 3/4 empty park anyway.
Just getting to the game would be a feat in itself. At least from where Im at.

Anyone who shows up today regardless needs to be given something as a token..
Food, game voucher for next year.. Kudos to you who make it down there.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 11:57 AM
Are they going to try to start the first game in this downpour? What happens to the fans who come for the first game and it's still raining? At some point they have to let us out and let the other fans in. What kind of time frame are they going to allow for that if the first game is still in rain delay?

That's the big question. If they start the first game at 4 and the second game at 9, they could probably do it. But they'd have to get the word out that Game 2 will start at 9. That would also mean the Sox get to their hotel in NY at about...oh I don't know...6AM?

Law11
09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
The tail end is just entering the IL/IA border. if this were on more of a straight East path it'd be gone by late this afternoon but its still traveling NE from the SW so it looks to be a while yet.

Game aside the winds are due to pick up 30-40mph which will mean trees down all over from the saturation in the ground.
We've had one go down by us already.

JB98
09-14-2008, 12:11 PM
The Sox should just postpone the day game and play the regularly-scheduled night game. This will probably clear out by 7 p.m. Schedule a DH with the Tigers on 9/29, to be played only if the division race is still undecided.

Frankfan4life
09-14-2008, 12:13 PM
That's the big question. If they start the first game at 4 and the second game at 9, they could probably do it. But they'd have to get the word out that Game 2 will start at 9. That would also mean the Sox get to their hotel in NY at about...oh I don't know...6AM?They would probably have to suspend the first game at a certain time to allow time for the second game. Not only do they have to allow time to clear out all of the fans but they have to clean the stands as well. They would need about two hours to do that.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
MLB not the White Sox makes the call since this is the Tigers last visit.

Good God call Game 1 now for the sake of the fans holding tickets.
Because of the second game there is a limited window in how long they wait for Game 1. 3 PM is about as far as they could push it to play and then reset the park for a 7 PM start.

Maybe it will stop raining by 4PM which gives Roger 3 hours but in all honestly that field would be dangerous to play on because the grass will be soaked. This rain is unprecedented in Chicagoland history.

At least the Sox look like the NY series won't have weather problems and hopefully Kansas City as well. they will most likely make Detroit reschedule a week from tomorrow and the Sox may be looking at a DH before the Twins series which is the last thing they want but but seems unavoidable at this point.

I am pretty certain they will wait until Midnight to get one game in thinking back last year to a Tigers-Yankees game that started at 11 PM.

MLB dropped the ball badly in sending the Cubs-Astros to Milwaukee and ignoring the weather situation in Chicago. The White Sox HAVE to play every game being tied...most likely the Cubs-Astros games won't matter anyways. This fiasco may well cost the White Sox the division.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
They would probably have to suspend the first game at a certain time to allow time for the second game. Not only do they have to allow time to clear out all of the fans but they have to clean the stands as well. They would need about two hours to do that.

I don't think they'll suspend a game to start another one. That's probably not going to happen.

Maybe they can get creative with parking. I think if they can get two games in today, they're going to find a way.

As long as the field is playable, I'm starting to think two games will be played. In which case, I hope Mark Buehrle is on a plane to New York already.

anewman35
09-14-2008, 12:25 PM
MLB dropped the ball badly in sending the Cubs-Astros to Milwaukee and ignoring the weather situation in Chicago. The White Sox HAVE to play every game being tied...most likely the Cubs-Astros games won't matter anyways. This fiasco may well cost the White Sox the division.

If the White Sox don't win the division, "this fiasco" will hardly be the reason why. There's been every chance to win some games and put the Twins away, and it hasn't happened. Considering Broadway was going to pitch one of the games, odds are we'd have been, at-best, 2-1 over the weekend, which means, at best, we'd still be one ahead of the Twins, or maybe tied if the Twins win today. I guess the point is, if we do finish a game behind the Twins or whatever, there's a long list of people to blame before jumping to blame Bud Selig. It's rain, it happens, get over it.

downstairs
Sox have one off day left: the 22nd.
DET has one off day left: the 18th.

So what do they do? Scratch one of the team's regularly scheduled games, force a double header the next day, and slide in a DET-Sox double header?

Why the heck don't they schedule in more split double headers during the regular season? And then have more off-days at the end of the season. You won't lose that much revenue, and because they don't they're forced to make these moves that lose much more revenue ANYWAY.

Harry Potter

cosign. I think this is the part that pisses me off most about this situation. I mean, do you think Bud Light even contemplated having our games played in Milwaukee (or was he simply wearing Cubbie Blue-colored glasses all weekend)? :angry:

downstairs
09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
If the White Sox don't win the division, "this fiasco" will hardly be the reason why. There's been every chance to win some games and put the Twins away, and it hasn't happened. Considering Broadway was going to pitch one of the games, odds are we'd have been, at-best, 2-1 over the weekend, which means, at best, we'd still be one ahead of the Twins, or maybe tied if the Twins win today. I guess the point is, if we do finish a game behind the Twins or whatever, there's a long list of people to blame before jumping to blame Bud Selig. It's rain, it happens, get over it.

I think this stuff is annoying for fans, but I really doubt its that horrible for players- to the point where it affects games that much. I don't have any stats, but it just seems silly.

Baseball is a slow game. You sit on the bench relaxed 1/2 the game. Travel sucks, but does it really make you play worse?

I just don't buy it.

anewman35
09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
cosign. I think this is the part that pisses me off most about this situation. I mean, do you think Bud Light even contemplated having our games played in Milwaukee (or was he simply wearing Cubbie Blue-colored glasses all weekend)? :angry:

At least to me, there's a big difference between a hurricane hitting a city where you know for sure there's going to be no possible way to play a game and a big rain storm where there might be a window. How much bitching would there be if they'd moved the doubleheader to Milwaukee today, and then at 6:00 it's clear and beautiful in Chicago?

downstairs
09-14-2008, 12:29 PM
At least to me, there's a big difference between a hurricane hitting a city where you know for sure there's going to be no possible way to play a game and a big rain storm where there might be a window. How much bitching would there be if they'd moved the doubleheader to Milwaukee today, and then at 6:00 it's clear and beautiful in Chicago?

And it looks like it will be by 6-ish. Maybe 4-ish.

Plus, NO WAY the Sox allow the game to be moved to another city. Money trumps all. They'd rather force a double-header and draw 5,000 than go to MIL and lose most of the money.

itsnotrequired
Good grief, does anyone honestly think MLB, Selig, Reinsdorf, etc. are a bunch of doofs that never considered going to Milwaukee? WSI is some type of brain trust with all the answers? Dollars-to-donuts this idea was floated and got shot down somewhere. So who shot it down? Selig haters will blame Bud and probably blame him for the storm. Reinsdorf haters will blame Jerry for being cheap. Conspiracy nuts will claim it was all done to help the Cubs get to the postseason.

I blame whitesoxwilkes.

anewman35
I think this stuff is annoying for fans, but I really doubt its that horrible for players- to the point where it affects games that much. I don't have any stats, but it just seems silly.

Baseball is a slow game. You sit on the bench relaxed 1/2 the game. Travel sucks, but does it really make you play worse?

I just don't buy it.

Remember how we were going to win game 1 of the ALCS for sure, because the Angels had been in 3 cities in three days and had no rest and no sleep and etc.? How'd that work out?

Nevermind the fact that, if we play these games later, we might have Paulie and maybe even Quentin back. Yes, it might **** up the rotation a bit, but we weren't exactly looking at a beautiful rotation plan before this, either.

Paulwny
09-14-2008, 12:30 PM
If today's games are on expect a wide strike zone, the umps will want these games over in a hurry.
Hawk will be in his prime.

JB98
09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Why the **** would we want to play home games in Milwaukee anyway? The Sox are 49-26 at USCF this season. It's a huge homefield advantage. I don't care if we can't get these games in until Oct. 1. They should be played at USCF.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 12:34 PM
If today's games are on expect a wide strike zone, the umps will want these games over in a hurry.
Hawk will be in his prime.

So true. It could be classic Hawk today.

Frankfan4life
09-14-2008, 12:34 PM
I'm going to start heading out to The Cell soon. Perhaps the Sox should allow the ticket holders from game one to stay for game two. It's not like there won't be enough seats available. That way I might be able to see a game today and my third soggy trip to The Cell this weekend won't be totally in vain.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 12:38 PM
Well now...

Sean McAdam just said on WEEI that MLB has asked the Red Sox if they could possibly host a game at Fenway TONIGHT with the White Sox and Tigers. Detroit is out as weather there is iffy. New York is also being considered.

Detroit would be screwed as they have to be in Dallas tomorrow but at least the White Sox are going to be in NY anyways.

This is insanity.

JB98
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Well now...

Sean McAdam just said on WEEI that MLB has asked the Red Sox if they could possibly host a game at Fenway TONIGHT with the White Sox and Tigers. Detroit is out as weather there is iffy. New York is also being considered.

Detroit would be screwed as they have to be in Dallas tomorrow but at least the White Sox are going to be in NY anyways.

This is insanity.

That's a stupid idea. If it rains all day and we can't play a game at the Cell, then so be it. We'll play 'em at the end of the season, if need be.

SoxFan78
09-14-2008, 12:42 PM
Well now...

This is insanity.

How about moving the game to Milwaukee... oops thats out.

Noneck
09-14-2008, 12:43 PM
Well now...

Total nonsense, Listen to the cartoon network for better info.

whitesoxwilkes
09-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Good grief, does anyone honestly think MLB, Selig, Reinsdorf, etc. are a bunch of doofs that never considered going to Milwaukee? WSI is some type of brain trust with all the answers? Dollars-to-donuts this idea was floated and got shot down somewhere. So who shot it down? Selig haters will blame Bud and probably blame him for the storm. Reinsdorf haters will blame Jerry for being cheap. Conspiracy nuts will claim it was all done to help the Cubs get to the postseason.

I blame whitesoxwilkes.

Don't blame me, I voted for Kodos.

TDog
09-14-2008, 12:48 PM
Why the **** would we want to play home games in Milwaukee anyway? The Sox are 49-26 at USCF this season. It's a huge homefield advantage. I don't care if we can't get these games in until Oct. 1. They should be played at USCF.

I agree. The Cubs-Astros shouldn't be moving to Milwaukee either. The Astros are getting screwed. Play what you can and make up the games at the end of the season.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 12:49 PM
It's not like they're going to fill the park with both games combined anyway. Just start Game 1 when they can, and let the fans stay as general admission. Let Game 2 fans in when Game 1 ends, and they're entitled to their seat when they get in. Problem solved.

EMachine10
09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
Well now...

This is insanity.
If it's raining, how are they getting there by tonight?

Frankfan4life
09-14-2008, 12:53 PM
It's not like they're going to fill the park with both games combined anyway. Just start Game 1 when they can, and let the fans stay as general admission. Let Game 2 fans in when Game 1 ends, and they're entitled to their seat when they get in. Problem solved.I already proposed that (Post #235). But I doubt that they'll do that. There might be too many headaches about fans complaining about seating.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 12:54 PM
That's a stupid idea. If it rains all day and we can't play a game at the Cell, then so be it. We'll play 'em at the end of the season, if need be.

MLB HAS to get at least one game in today and then juggle things so Detroit can be back at The Cell a week from tomorrow for 2.

They want to avoid any makeup games after the season since there is a reasonable chance the White Sox and Twins might need a tie-breaker.

sox1970
09-14-2008, 12:57 PM
I already proposed that (Post #235). But I doubt that they'll do that. There might be too many headaches about fans complaining about seating.

It could be bad, but I think a lot of fans would leave after Game 1 anyway.

If you have a ticket for Game 2, that's your seat. If the Game 1 folks want to stay, it's on them to find an empty seat.

Harry Potter
09-14-2008, 01:01 PM

If you have a ticket for Game 2, that's your seat. If the Game 1 folks want to stay, it's on them to find an empty seat.

I'd thank the water-logged fan for keeping my Game 2 seat dry, then send them on their way to find a new seat... :cool:

Frankfan4life
09-14-2008, 01:04 PM

If you have a ticket for Game 2, that's your seat. If the Game 1 folks want to stay, it's on them to find an empty seat.That sounds good in theory. I would be cooperative but I don't drink two beers an hour. :gulp:

swish
09-14-2008, 01:16 PM
We will be able to play one tonight it looks like. Let's let Roger work his magic and we can try to play game 1. But the rain looks like it should stop around 6ish...

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 01:21 PM
We will be able to play one tonight it looks like. Let's let Roger work his magic and we can try to play game 1. But the rain looks like it should stop around 6ish...
Let's hope the same umpires aren't there tonight as there were on Friday