PDA

View Full Version : Steve Stone to join Hawk next year

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-13-2008, 01:19 PM
Can someone confirm they heard this on the score just now?? Probably should have started in WTS...apologies.

cbone
09-13-2008, 01:20 PM
Just announced on the Score. Stone will replace DJ in the booth with a 6 yr contract. Dj offered radio gig, no reply yet.

DaveIsHere
It wa just announced on the Score. Stone in the booth through 2014....YES!!!!

cbone
Yep confrimed.

HangWiffum
Per Rongey on wscr stone signed a 6 year deal. DJ offered the radio gig.

#1swisher
09-13-2008, 01:22 PM
I heard the announcement on the score also.
Steve Stone on tv crew in 2009. 6 year deal thru 2014. Will be broadcasting with Hawk. DJ offered radio hasn't made a decision.

turners56
09-13-2008, 01:22 PM
Sah-weet. At least we won't get anymore "Uh-oh"s next year. Or "It's going, going, gone"

The only thing Stoney isn't good at is play-by-play...he doesn't have a good voice for it. I wonder if Stone will do the 4-6 innings next year like D.J. usually does.

I listen to the radio a lot, so I guess I'll be missing a part of the action with D.J. there. OMG, that will be miserable. Imagine him trying to describe something I can't even see...he's already bad at doing it when I can see what he's talking about.

clarkent
09-13-2008, 01:23 PM
I for one want Rongey to join Farmer on radio. He did a great job filling in and can do play by play and let Farmer do color.

35th and Shields
Just announced on the Score. Stone will replace DJ in the booth with a 6 yr contract. Dj offered radio gig, no reply yet.

No need to mute the tv anymore.

OldRomanPizza
Uh ohhh....:cool:

turners56
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
I for one want Rongey to join Farmer on radio. He did a great job filling in and can do play by play and let Farmer do color.

Rongey has a good voice for that kind of thing, but did you hear him do the Pirates games this year? He was slow and bad at the same time. He did analyze ok though.

Rockabilly
09-13-2008, 01:25 PM
awesome news

Lets hope the Sox can find a great radio guy.. Don't want DJ back

Harry Potter
09-13-2008, 01:26 PM
This topic needs more separate threads started

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 01:27 PM
The coin toss and now this news!!!!!

The weekend with this crappy weather was not a complete loss after all.

SaltyPretzel
09-13-2008, 01:35 PM
Am I the only one that can't stand Farmer? I thought he was a horrible color guy and brutal now doing play-by-play. If I could get rid of anyone from the broadcasting crew, it would him in a heartbeat.

Gammons Peter
09-13-2008, 01:36 PM
Great news to lock up Stone but I'll miss him on the radio. It would be cool if he did both, TV for 3 innings, radio for 3, then back to TV for 3 like they did way back when

kruzer31
09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Am I the only one that can't stand Farmer? I thought he was a horrible color guy and brutal now doing play-by-play. If I could get rid of anyone from the broadcasting crew, it would him in a heartbeat.

I agree, he never gives the score or inning, is always talking over Stone. Makes you think the Sox have a base hit when in actuality the play is routine. He will say things like...."Heres is the pitch, right down the middle, ball one. I dont want my mind to be tricked to thinking we are doing good and his sarcasm messes with me. Sarcasm is not good on radio especailly for die hard fans who are nervous with every pitch.

Jeff

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Hawk and Stone can't get along, they can't fit in the same booth because of their egos.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2008, 01:40 PM
Too bad Hawk is still there.

Ziggy S
09-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Great news. Stone will make the Failed GM tolerable in the booth and he's one of the best if not the best analyst in the bizz.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 01:44 PM
Too bad Hawk is still there..

October26
09-13-2008, 01:46 PM
Very happy to hear the news of the Stone Pony :bandance:! I will miss Stone on radio (which I listen to frequently). I feel bad for DJ because I like him alot, but he's awful on the play by play on TV and I think he will be awful on radio as well if he accepts the offer. I hope ESPN comes and offers DJ something and we get a new, fresh voice on radio.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Great move sliding Steve over to TV. I hope DJ decides to stay on as he has gotten better over the years and is a part of the White Sox family, but if he doesn't, fear not.

There is another Chicago native, a dedicated Sox fan in the final year of his deal in Tampa that would be a perfect replacement. (And I understand that option is being given serious consideration...)

Based on my information I think this person would be asked first if he was interested in the radio position next to Ed before Chris.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 01:49 PM

I think Stone will help straighten Hawk's Act together because unlike DJ, Stone has a spine. He helped get Farmer on track big time compared to the crap that broadcast was when Singleton was in that booth.

And if Hawk doesn't like it, well maybe just maybe it will force him into retirement.

So the broadcast will get 10X better next year.

sachin
09-13-2008, 01:52 PM
I do not like Ed Farmer, he tells the game as if reading the telephone directory or he talks of golfing and California. I'm not with cable so I must listen to radio broadcasts of White Sox games, and to put it directly Ed Farmer sucks.

:mad:

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
Great move sliding Steve over to TV. I hope DJ decides to stay on as he has gotten better over the years and is a part of the White Sox family, but if he doesn't, fear not.

There is another Chicago native, a dedicated Sox fan in the final year of his deal in Tampa that would be a perfect replacement. (And I understand that option is being given serious consideration...)

Based on my information I think this person would be asked first if he was interested in the radio position next to Ed before Chris.

Lip

Dave Wills has annoyed the crap out of me anytime he has come back to do a radio interview here in Chicago since moving to TB. It's like he forgot his roots. I guess he is just following the company line.

Lip Man 1
09-13-2008, 01:58 PM
Love:

That shouldn't be in teal. I've heard from to many different sources both in the organization and in the media that they really don't care for each other.

That doesn't mean however they can't work together, it's a business and they are being well paid to put up with it.

Lip

Gammons Peter
09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
I listen to as many games on the radio as I watch on TV so I don't want the radio to turn into armature hour again. It would be great if they could have Stoney go back and forth.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-13-2008, 02:00 PM
Too bad Hawk is still there.I wouldn't watch the Sox anymore without "You can put it on the board... YES!" :mad: There isn't anything wrong with Hawk, I'd HATE it if they got rid of him too. I actauly liked DJ, we'll see how Hawk and Stone work out... Stone talks more than DJ so that might be a plus.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Hope Stone stops the Harrelson insensate bitching about balls and strikes.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
I wouldn't watch the Sox anymore without "You can put it on the board... YES!" :mad: There isn't anything wrong with Hawk, I'd HATE it if they got rid of him too. I actauly liked DJ, we'll see how Hawk and Stone work out... Stone talks more than DJ so that might be a plus.

You serioulsy wouldn't watch the Sox without Hawk? I mean I like Hawk a lot (and can also understand why people dislike him) and grew up with him on the broadcast, but I'd still watch Sox games even if say Len Casper and Chip Carey where doing the broadcast (wouldn't be thrilled though).

Part of me feels bad for DJ. He was brutal when he started but has gotten a lot better. I think Stone is a huge upgrade (I enjoyed listening to him even with the Cubs) but hope DJ lands on his feet somewhere.

HawkDJ
09-13-2008, 02:11 PM
R.I.P. My username.

GlassSox
09-13-2008, 02:17 PM
I like it! However I hope DJ lands on his feet and hope he accepts the radio offer.

roylestillman
09-13-2008, 02:18 PM
I do not like Ed Farmer, he tells the game as if reading the telephone directory or he talks of golfing and California. I'm not with cable so I must listen to radio broadcasts of White Sox games, and to put it directly Ed Farmer sucks.

:mad:

Don't forget St. Rita. But to be honest most of that ended with Stone in the booth with Farmio. I think they've made a great team.

Noneck
09-13-2008, 02:23 PM
Don't forget St. Rita. But to be honest most of that ended with Stone in the booth with Farmio. I think they've made a great team.
Farmer has his faults but it is nice to have a Chicago flavor to broadcasts.

tick53
09-13-2008, 02:23 PM
I've been waiting to hear this for a long time. Stoney and Hawk will make a terrific duo. I never have liked DJ in the booth but I did as a player. Best to you Darrin. I hope your future is bright.

Dibbs
09-13-2008, 02:35 PM
I feel bad for DJ. I never was a huge fan, but I will miss him. Now if we can somehow get Rooney and Wills on the radio we will be set!!!

WhiteSox5187
09-13-2008, 02:38 PM
Good God a radio team of Farmer and DJ would be awful. There would be too many accidents. We'll see how Hawk and Stone get a long, but this might be a bit bumpy at first.

TomBradley72
09-13-2008, 03:05 PM

Lip

I agree Lip...it's time for Wills to come home!! He's a million times better than DJ....

VenturaFan23
09-13-2008, 03:31 PM
One thing's for sure, the radio will suck again. I can't stand Farmer.

Trav
09-13-2008, 03:32 PM
DJ sounds much better when he does Fox games. Maybe he can join Singleton on the national stage.

BainesHOF
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM

God no.

CWS44
09-13-2008, 03:50 PM
Hawk and Stone can't get along, they can't fit in the same booth because of their egos.

I heard Stone on the radio with Rongey today, talking about the 5 games he did with the Hawk and how he felt a chemistry. It's probably easy to kiss up to eachother for five games, but I cannot imagine an entire season. My feeling is that they are going to kill eachother early on. I do like DJ. I thought he and the Hawk really got it together around 2004, and I enjoyed them together. I prefer Stone on the radio, where I typically only hear a few innings before getting home and turning on the TV. I realize he is good analyst, but in my opinion, often sounds arrogant.
Best of luck to DJ.

BainesHOF
09-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I think Stone will help straighten Hawk's Act together because unlike DJ, Stone has a spine. He helped get Farmer on track big time compared to the crap that broadcast was when Singleton was in that booth.

Exactly.

russ99
09-13-2008, 04:00 PM

I wont take sides like that but i'm not sure this is a good idea. Hawk & DJ are a team, while Hawk & Stone are both forceful personalities. It may be great once in a while but could get messy over a full season.

I also feel bad for DJ. The Sox strung his contract negotiations out all summer, and now they throw him a carrot of the radio gig. I hope he gets a TV job with another team, and maybe comes back when Hawk retires.

soxinem1
09-13-2008, 04:22 PM
I wont take sides like that but i'm not sure this is a good idea. Hawk & DJ are a team, while Hawk & Stone are both forceful personalities. It may be great once in a while but could get messy over a full season.

I also feel bad for DJ. The Sox strung his contract negotiations out all summer, and now they throw him a carrot of the radio gig. I hope he gets a TV job with another team, and maybe comes back when Hawk retires.

I believe DJ has a contract with FOX, right? He has done a lot of games when the networks televise Sox games. I know the networks were pursuing him a little after he started broadcasting.

I liked DJ a lot more than Paciorek, but the 'uh-oh!' with the HR calls was getting annoying. Why should a Sox HR be called like a mistake?

Hawk and Stone sounded great together last year, I wonder if DJ will be the 'Wally Pipp' of Sox broadcasting?

Dave Wills would be a sound PBP radio guy. I still miss his 'White Sox baseball is coming up.... N-E-E-E-E-E-E-X-X-X-X-T!' call.

Maybe Tommy John will be coming home soon........

Law11
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
what? No more gooing,, goooing, goooing...
Thats to bad..

sunofgold
09-13-2008, 05:22 PM
Stone will be great on TV. He is great on radio, but he has always been a TV guy. This move was speculated since Stone signed on for radio.

I would love to have Rooney back. He was play-by-play and Farmer was color analyst. But, Rooney is in St. Louis now.

Do you think that they would try to get BlackJack McDowell in there? Not that I would want him, but they have used him a few times to fill in for Stone. He was okay.

They tried a couple others this year. Ventura was way too quiet for the job. I think that there was another guy (not an ex-baseball player) who filled in for a game on the radio for Stone as well this year.

Who was the guy who did postgame for the WHITE SOX when they were on AM1000 in 2005? I thought that he was pretty good for postgame.

Also, why did they announce this now? Shouldn't they have waited to the end of the season? Is their a reason to make the announcement now?

DJ probably knew that he wasn't likely coming back but now it is definite. He is a lame duck announcer now. He seems professional and will handle it professionally, but still he cannot be a happy camper right now. We need some good mojo from announcers right now. haha!

Sorry, I have a lot of questions.hahah! Trusting my fellow WHITE SOX fans to answer them.

TheOldRoman
09-13-2008, 05:24 PM
Hope Stone stops the Harrelson insensate bitching about balls and strikes.That won't happen. If you listen to the radio, Stone always points out really bad calls. He won't linger on them the rest of the game like Hawk does, but he points out that it was a blown call. Same with Farmer.

Without hearing much of Willsy do PBP, I would like him back, too. Forget reigning in Hawk, someone needs to rein in Farmer. Singleton didn't, and Stone doesn't either. Rooney was good at it. Here are examples.

Typical Farmer and Rooney broadcast
Ed: So, John, I once got the chance to go to Scotland and play golf. It really is incredible. There are somehting like 15,000 golf courses there.
John: Is that so?
Ed: Yes. I was over there with my good friends, and we decided to take in...
John: Very nice, Ed. The pitch is on its way, and it is fouled off. Count stays at 1-2. So, you were saying?

Typical Farmer and Stone broadcast
Ed: I remember traveling through Topeka playing minor league ball. We got $5 a day for food. How about you?
Stone: We got $3.
Ed: Since we didn't have money, we would always go to buffetts. *sound of ball hitting the catcher's mitt* I think I went to every Golden Corral in the greater 48 states. *sound of ball hitting mitt, crowd groans* They used to have an omelette bar, which we always made sure to raid. In fact, one time I ran into Smokin' Joe Frazier at a Golden Corral*Crack of bat hitting, growd gets loud*. He is a huge man. Did you ever meed him in person?
Stone:I haven't had the pleasure.
Ed: So, Kevin Millar is on with a leadoff double.

I listened turned the game on once an listened for 5 minutes without hearing who was pitching, who was hitting, how many outs, and who was on first base. It was always "Throw to first, and he's back in safely", then back to the story he was telling. After the ground out to end the inning, he didn't even mention the score of the game! Bring Wills back for PBP, put Ed back on color, and have Dave cut Ed off every time there is a play.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM
You're not the only one. I've hated Farmer the entire time. I cringe the few times I have to listen to the radio broadcast (only when I'm in the car), because he's so awful!
I agree, he never gives the score or inning, is always talking over Stone. Makes you think the Sox have a base hit when in actuality the play is routine. He will say things like...."Heres is the pitch, right down the middle, ball one. I dont want my mind to be tricked to thinking we are doing good and his sarcasm messes with me. Sarcasm is not good on radio especailly for die hard fans who are nervous with every pitch.

Jeff
I completely agree. With Farmer, you NEVER know what's going on with the game. You should at least be told the score at the beginning and end of each half inning, and be reminded how many outs there are throughout. Some people join the broadcast mid-inning and shouldn't have to wait until 5 minutes after they turn on the radio to find out what the score to the game is.
One thing's for sure, the radio will suck again. I can't stand Farmer.
Like the radio broadcast doesn't already suck? Thankfully I only have to listen to them when I'm in my car. I watch the TV broadcast whenever I'm home.

LITTLE NELL
09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
Farmer is the only guy who could make the late great Sox announcer Bob Elson sound exciting.

skobabe8
09-13-2008, 06:43 PM

Lip

:crossfingers:

Noneck
09-13-2008, 06:55 PM
That won't happen. If you listen to the radio, Stone always points out really bad calls. He won't linger on them the rest of the game like Hawk does, but he points out that it was a blown call. Same with Farmer.

I primarily listen to Stone and Farmer and yes they do point out bad calls and bad calls on balls and strikes. But not like Harrelson, he is bitching a couple times an inning it seems. Sometimes when I see a replay of a ball strike call I will put on the TV feed and hear the bitching from Harrelson. Prior to that usually Stone will say, it was a good pitch and the ump was right. I just want to see what will happen when Stone sees it different from Harrelson. Will he disagree or just be silent as Harrelson moans and groans? Either way will be ok with me.

forrestg
09-13-2008, 06:58 PM
I will take Stone but I'm tired of hearing about stuff that happened to Hawk 40 years ago.. Pacioric gave much better color commentary

Paulwny
09-13-2008, 07:11 PM
[quote=forrestg;2037520] I'm tired of hearing about stuff that happened to Hawk 40 years ago..

I read somewhere, " Listening to Hawk is like watching the game with your grandfather".

cards press box
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Farmer is the only guy who could make the late great Sox announcer Bob Elson sound exciting.

I thought the Old Commander was great. Listening to Elson, you could close your eyes and almost see the runner sliding into 3rd base. I even liked all those commercials with "Friendly Bob Adams."

I think the Sox' decision to move Steve Stone to the TV booth makes a lot of sense. If DJ does take the radio job, he'll do fine job and will likely split the play-by-play responsibility with Farmer.

Here's a question -- if DJ declines the Sox' offer, does this open the door for Dave Wills to return as the radio voice of the White Sox?

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 07:17 PM
Here's a question -- if DJ declines the Sox' offer, does this open the door for Dave Wills to return as the radio voice of the White Sox?
I thought Wills has a few more years left on his contract with the Tampa Rays.

TornLabrum
09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
I agree Lip...it's time for Wills to come home!! He's a million times better than DJ....

If Dave does come home, it needs to be as PBP or at least split PBP. Farmer was much better doing color than he has ever been doing PBP, even with Stone in the other chair.

Frontman
09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
Actually, Farmio is ok in my book. He's not as good as Rooney was, but I've heard worse. He's also a pretty nice guy in person.

As far as DJ? I can see both sides of that one. I wish him well if he moves on, but I hope if he goes to radio he works on his PBP delivery.

EuroSox35
09-13-2008, 08:01 PM
After the Fan Deck promotion I was just thinking that they should switch the guys up once in a while (even if one game) during the year to change things up, maybe try Farmer and Stone on TV, or switch partners. I guess we might be seeing DJ to radio (though I have a feeling he'll reject if he's still thinking about it)

Will interesting to see how this plays out

EuroSox35
09-13-2008, 08:03 PM
BTW, how long is Farmer signed for?

Frontman
09-13-2008, 08:09 PM
Stone will be great on TV. He is great on radio, but he has always been a TV guy. This move was speculated since Stone signed on for radio.

It was speculated since Steve filled in for DJ last year for a few games.

I would love to have Rooney back. He was play-by-play and Farmer was color analyst. But, Rooney is in St. Louis now.

Yes, and he probably will not be back any time soon.

Do you think that they would try to get BlackJack McDowell in there? Not that I would want him, but they have used him a few times to fill in for Stone. He was okay.

BlackJack drove me insane with promoting his wife's business (which is fine) but his constant reminding the listener that "This is only for a few games. I'm not going to broadcast a full schedule for years," got on my nerves. If he doesn't want to do it, fine; but every other inning he felt the need to point that out?

They tried a couple others this year. Ventura was way too quiet for the job. I think that there was another guy (not an ex-baseball player) who filled in for a game on the radio for Stone as well this year.

I'm not sure who you're referring to. I know Chris Rongey filled in; but I thought that was for Farmio.

Who was the guy who did postgame for the WHITE SOX when they were on AM1000 in 2005? I thought that he was pretty good for postgame.

That would be Brian Dawkins. He works for ESPN 1000. Since they're "The World-wide leader in Sports" (at least in their PR department's mind) he won't move from there. He needs to be able to shout "Good times" at 1:38pm everyday.....

Also, why did they announce this now? Shouldn't they have waited to the end of the season? Is their a reason to make the announcement now?

Four key injuries to players, two days of rained out baseball, a fanbase that's on edge due to a one-game lead in the division race and you're suprised the Sox looked for something to give the fanbase that's good news?

DJ probably knew that he wasn't likely coming back but now it is definite. He is a lame duck announcer now. He seems professional and will handle it professionally, but still he cannot be a happy camper right now. We need some good mojo from announcers right now. haha!

It's speculation if DJ will stay/go at this point. I'm of a mindset to wait and hear what the man has to say before packing his bags.

Sorry, I have a lot of questions.hahah! Trusting my fellow WHITE SOX fans to answer them.

No problem answering questions.

Now, if you want GOOD answers, you need someone else to chime in now. :wink:

BleacherBandit
09-13-2008, 08:11 PM
I'll miss DJ.

Seriously, if you have problems with his 'trade mark' : "That ball's hit deep, it's going, going GONE!" Then you're easily annoyed. I don't mind it.

Hopefully, he ends up on BBTN or something like Chris Singleton.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 08:25 PM
That would be Brian Dawkins. He works for ESPN 1000. Since they're "The World-wide leader in Sports" (at least in their PR department's mind) he won't move from there. He needs to be able to shout "Good times" at 1:38pm everyday.....

Bryan Dolgin is his name.

Another guy that I'm not sure has been mentioned is Eric Collins who used to be with FSN Chicago. He filled in for Stone earlier this year at the 1st TB series in April.

He can do play by play.

Daver
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
BTW, how long is Farmer signed for?

Whatever it is it is too long.

spongyfungy
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Get ready for solo "you can put it on the board, yes"'s. I don't know how these two egos can fit in one single booth. I give it one month before their first uncomfortable dead air moment.

some of you guys pining for wills, paciorek, mcdowell, ventura, rooney need to move on.

sunofgold
09-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Yes, you hit the nail on the head. Thank you.

I thought Dolgin was pretty good. Easy going and level headed. If I remember right, he let fans voice their opinions.

That is my only problem with the Ranger is that he sometimes shoots down the opinions/ideas of the fans that calls in. Sometimes major disagreements occur and the Ranger only thinks that his opinion is the right one.

I don't remember that happening with Dolgin. I don't even remember him being very opinionated. Kinda helped that he worked in the wonderful year of 2005. I think that he was only year doing that job for the WHITE SOX.

My fond memories of him might stem from listening to postgame shows during the 2005 postseason. That was probably the greatest month in my life OCT 2005. Everything went right that month.

whitesox901
09-13-2008, 08:55 PM
no more DJ!!!!! :cool::D::bandance::gulp:

slavko
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
Logic says that the move to radio for DJ is an offer he has to refuse. At least this is early enough to allow him time to find other work. I wouldn't like this if it happened to me and I feel for him. Even so, Steve is simply much better than the much improved but still below average DJ. (Does he wear a hairpiece?)

captain54
09-13-2008, 09:15 PM
I graduated from St Rita with Farmer, but I still have to say that I never, ever listened to the radio BC until Stone Poney came on board.

What makes Stone a superior broadcaster is that he is very knowledgeable of all aspects of the game, and imparts that knowledge during the lulls in the action, whereas Farmer, chooses to go off on any number of unrelated stories in excruciating detail.

I still like Hawk. I think you need a little corney homerish in a TV broadcast, ala Harry Carey or Jack Brickhouse.

kba
09-13-2008, 09:19 PM
The only thing Stoney isn't good at is play-by-play...he doesn't have a good voice for it. I wonder if Stone will do the 4-6 innings next year like D.J. usually does.

I don't think I've ever heard Stone do play-by-play - not when he was with the Cubs and not this year on the radio. If he doesn't give it a shot next year, Hawk might have to give up his mid-game break. Or maybe they could bring in somebody to fill in for an inning or two.

Today's Tribune article about this quotes Stone saying he'll be the first broadcaster who's done both radio and TV on both sides of town. Holy Cow! He forgot somebody!

thomas35forever
09-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Very good move. We saw how much Farmer improved with Stoney around. How Hawk will do with him is anyone's guess.

Tragg
09-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Farmer and DJ...I don't listen to the radio calls much, but...yikes.

jabrch
09-13-2008, 09:57 PM
I'd love Wills in the booth. That would make a decent partner for Ed.

EndemicSox
09-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Good to know, Stoney will certainly help the national perception of the TV broadcasting team, which quite frankly, is about as low as it gets nowadays. On the other hand, this makes the radio broadcast all but unlistenable if Farmer and DJ team up. Farmer has an amazing voice, simply perfect for broadcasting, but unfortunately, his personality couldn't be more boring. DJ is a good side-kick, but he needs a personality like Hawk/Stone with him. Overall, improved TV ratings, radio may suffer.

Frontman
09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Bryan Dolgin is his name.

Another guy that I'm not sure has been mentioned is Eric Collins who used to be with FSN Chicago. He filled in for Stone earlier this year at the 1st TB series in April.

He can do play by play.

Either way, Dawkins, Dolgin; doesn't matter what his name is. You really think he'll pass on doing updates every 20 minutes to be a part of an actual broadcast?

:rolleyes:

I have to be honest, the local update guys on ESPN have got to have willpower. To sit there and listen to "The Duke" just slaughter Sox and Cubs players names when doing updates have to drive them nuts.

Brian26
09-13-2008, 10:09 PM
I've always thought the radio broadcast was far more important than the tv broadcast in terms of having talented announcers that can convey what's happening and tell a story if you're listening in the car or on the train. I'm disappointed by this move, because Farmer and Stone have been pretty good together this year.

The best Sox broadcast I can remember seeing or hearing was in early 2003 on a west coast trip when Rooney went back over to the tv side and worked with DJ (Hawk was at a golf tournament or taking some time off for his daughter's wedding). I remember DJ thanking him on the air during the last game for helping him and teaching him.

skobabe8
09-13-2008, 10:47 PM
some of you guys pining for wills, paciorek, mcdowell, ventura, rooney need to move on.

Why?

Frankfan4life
09-13-2008, 10:58 PM
I like it! However I hope DJ lands on his feet and hope he accepts the radio offer.I do too. I'm a DJ fan. I think he did a credible job and I hope he stays in the Sox org.

Somehow I just can't see Stone joining Hawk with the "Yesss!" call.

TornLabrum
09-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Either way, Dawkins, Dolgin; doesn't matter what his name is. You really think he'll pass on doing updates every 20 minutes to be a part of an actual broadcast?

:rolleyes:

I have to be honest, the local update guys on ESPN have got to have willpower. To sit there and listen to "The Duke" just slaughter Sox and Cubs players names when doing updates have to drive them nuts.

Dolgin does have an outlet, though. He's done PBP for the Joliet Jackhammers for several years.

TornLabrum
09-13-2008, 11:31 PM
Why?

Because.

tstrike2000
09-13-2008, 11:40 PM
As someone mentioned, I wonder how Stoney will like having to broadcast for an inning or so in the middle of the game by himself while Hawk leaves the booth to take his meds.

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2008, 12:07 AM
BlackJack drove me insane with promoting his wife's business (which is fine) No, it wasn't fine. If he wants his wife's baby clothes business promoted on the radio, let him buy commercial time.

Good to know, Stoney will certainly help the national perception of the TV broadcasting team, which quite frankly, is about as low as it gets nowadays.Why should we care what they think of the Sox broadcast team in other cities? I have the Extra Innings package, and the broadcasters in most other cities are so vanilla and generic that they can't be told apart. In fact, you often can't tell the two guys in the same booth apart.

whitesox901
09-14-2008, 12:26 AM
Somehow I just can't see Stone joining Hawk with the "Yesss!" call.

me neither, its gonna be great!

KingXerxes
09-14-2008, 12:37 AM

:hawk

"Mercy..........there sure still is a dadgummed reason to mute the television."

ebit
09-14-2008, 01:12 AM
Farmer's dry sarcasm is one of the reason's I've enjoyed listening to the radio over the tv broadcast. I miss Rooney and will miss Stone but honestly I think you guys are too hard on Ed.

StillMissOzzie
09-14-2008, 01:57 AM
Love:

That shouldn't be in teal. I've heard from to many different sources both in the organization and in the media that they really don't care for each other.

That doesn't mean however they can't work together, it's a business and they are being well paid to put up with it.

Lip

Be more specific here, Lip. Name names! Who doesn't like each other, Hawk & DJ or Farmer & Stone?

I am NOT a Farmer fan, and I think the loss of Stone on the radio side will be a big loss, whether DJ takes the radio gig or not. But I am fortunate enough to be here in the suburbs of Chicago, where I can watch many more games on TV than I listen to on the radio, almost always in my car. Therefore, any speeding tickets I incur racing home to catch Sox games on TV next year will be forwarded to the White Sox media relations dept.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 02:04 AM
Farmer treated Singleton like crap and would do the exact same thing to DJ. I feel bad for whomever is next to sit in that booth with him.

LITTLE NELL
09-14-2008, 06:37 AM
I thought the Old Commander was great. Listening to Elson, you could close your eyes and almost see the runner sliding into 3rd base. I even liked all those commercials with "Friendly Bob Adams."

I think the Sox' decision to move Steve Stone to the TV booth makes a lot of sense. If DJ does take the radio job, he'll do fine job and will likely split the play-by-play responsibility with Farmer.

I did say Elson was great(He is in ths HOF). I grew up in the 50s with the pocket radio under my pillow listening to the Commander." Remember fans,errors like hits and runs are all part of this great game". " I'll be back in a few minutes with somemore dugout dope". " Thats a White Owl Wallop and a box of White Owl cigars for Big Klu".

Fenway
09-14-2008, 06:51 AM
Stone is quoted by Teddy Greenstein in the Sunday Trib as saying he believes he is the first broadcaster to do radio and TV for both the White Sox and Cubs.

How can Stoney forget HARRY???????

Caray most certainly did both radio and TV for both teams. There may have been others but I am positive about Harry. ( I have old WBBM tapes with Harry and Jimmy)

Frontman
09-14-2008, 08:07 AM
Stone is quoted by Teddy Greenstein in the Sunday Trib as saying he believes he is the first broadcaster to do radio and TV for both the White Sox and Cubs.

Caray most certainly did both radio and TV for both teams. There may have been others but I am positive about Harry. ( I have old WBBM tapes with Harry and Jimmy)

I think Steve meant full broadcasts. Didn't Harry's radio go 3-3-3 from TV to radio back to TV for them?

Fenway
09-14-2008, 08:41 AM
I think Steve meant full broadcasts. Didn't Harry's radio go 3-3-3 from TV to radio back to TV for them?

When did Stone do full radio with the Cubs? He usually stayed with TV when play by play switched.

It is also possible Milo Hamilton did both for both clubs as well.

Brickhouse did TV for both but I don't think he ever did Sox radio given his ties to WGN.

dickallen15
09-14-2008, 09:11 AM
When did Stone do full radio with the Cubs? He usually stayed with TV when play by play switched.

Brickhouse did TV for both but I don't think he ever did Sox radio given his ties to WGN.

Brickhouse did radio and televison for both the Cubs and White Sox. Stone is way off thinking he's the first, as you pointed out Harry did both as well. Maybe he meant color commentator.

Brian26
09-14-2008, 09:56 AM

I saw that. What I'm trying to recall is when Stone did radio for the Cubs. In all of his years there, he'd stay on the tv side for the entire game while Harry switched to radio in the middle three innings with Staats, Brennaman, etc coming over to tv.

Brian26
09-14-2008, 09:57 AM

During Milo's days, Vince Lloyd and Lou Boudreau were the radio team. Brickhouse would switch over and do three innings of radio, but Milo always stayed on the tv side.

soxfanreggie
09-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Very excited to hear this, but I think the radio team needs to be shaken up sometime, as I think it will be brutal to have Farmer and DJ together. Anyone know what Farmer's contract situation is?

09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
Just a guess but I don't think Jackson will accept the radio gig. It's less money and he may want to get back to his family on the west coast.

Zisk77
09-14-2008, 10:51 AM
[quote=forrestg;2037520] I'm tired of hearing about stuff that happened to Hawk 40 years ago..

I read somewhere, " Listening to Hawk is like watching the game with your grandfather".

Maybe thats why I like the Hawk. My Grandfather played in the majors and I couldn't get enough of his stories. I miss him...but not all the farting and then him yelling tag em...actually the tag em part was funny. :cool:

Lip Man 1
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM
Miss Ozzie:

I was referring to Hawk and Stone.

----------

The joker in the entire radio deal is the fact that Farmer's contract specifically calls for him to do play by play as I understand.

Would he agree to go back to "color" if someone like Dave would return? Would Dave (for example) agree to return if he only did play by play for two or three innings?

Those are among the issues in play here.

And would the Sox be happy with a combination of say Ron Kittle as color with Farmer as play by play? Farmer was very good as an analyst because he had an experience, trained broadcaster holding him in line in John Rooney. Brining in Kittle or Tommy John or Steve Lyons, (McDowell and Ventura will not take the job until their kids are grown) who are color guys with little play by play experience doesn't solve the Farmer issue does it?

Lip

kba
09-14-2008, 12:21 PM

The Sox website (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/cws/history/broadcasters.jsp) says Brickhouse did Sox radio in 1945 - on WJJD.

They don't list Milo as ever doing Sox TV.

The only time I ever heard Stone do radio for the Cubs was in the 2003 post-season when Santo was sick.

Johnny74
09-14-2008, 05:12 PM

If we could just mute it when Hawk is talking and listen when Steve is talking that would be great.

No matter who is paired with the Hawk the fact remains that the Hawk still is horrible. He's unbearable to listen to and he needs to go away. He is an embarrassment to Sox fans.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-14-2008, 05:17 PM

Something that I would dearly love to do. But impossible, for many years.

Maybe that's why Hawk does not bother me much.

russ99
09-14-2008, 06:20 PM
Just a guess but I don't think Jackson will accept the radio gig. It's less money and he may want to get back to his family on the west coast.

On a career move alone, it's not likely DJ will do the radio gig. It's a big step down from a TV play-by-play man. I won't mind at all if Darren stays, but it would be better for him to continue to do TV.

LuzinskiRoofShot
09-14-2008, 07:21 PM

I'm hoping he doesn't, I've had more than enough of Jackson. My only fear is the Sox will go cheap and try to find another broadcaster in the mold of Jackson/Singleton...

Brian26
09-14-2008, 08:02 PM
Just thinking out loud, I wonder if consideration was ever made to making Hawk/DJ/Stone a three-man tv team. Bring in Wills to work with Farmer on the radio, and all of your problems are solved.

Lip Man 1
09-14-2008, 11:16 PM
You'll all be happy to know that a member of the organization was kind enough to e-mail me this evening saying that they checked out this thread to see how some of the fans were taking the news.

They were happy that it seemed like the fans were appreciative of this decision.

Lip

LoveYourSuit
09-14-2008, 11:19 PM
You'll all be happy to know that a member of the organization was kind enough to e-mail me this evening saying that they checked out this thread to see how some of the fans were taking the news.

They were happy that it seemed like the fans were appreciative of this decision.

Lip

Tell Brooks we love him :cool:

Nellie_Fox
09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
Hawk...needs to go away. He is an embarrassment to Sox fans.
Speak for yourself. You don't speak for all Sox fans.

kraut83
09-15-2008, 08:37 AM
I have mixed feelings about this, probably for more selfish reasons. Living out of state I don't get many Sox games on TV, and I listen to the games on XM. I thought Stoney was a great compliment to Farmer, and I'll miss him on the radio broadcast.

I'm glad he's staying in the Sox family though, and I'll look forward to him when I do catch a TV game.

rwcescato
09-15-2008, 08:52 AM

What about bringing back Dave Wills. I believe his contract is up this year. I think it would be great.:)

whitesox901
09-15-2008, 10:06 AM
Speak for yourself. You don't speak for all Sox fans.

Agreed, I love listening to Hawk

Something that I would dearly love to do. But impossible, for many years.

Maybe that's why Hawk does not bother me much.

I have to agree with this guy as well, both of my grandfathers died when I was 2 or younger, that could be a good reason why I too like watching Hawk

Noneck
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM

I do understand and appreciate the people that feel like this but I would hope it would have greater appeal if the talk was about Dick Allen, not Jim Rice, Nellie Fox, Not Carl Yastrzemski, Wilbur Wood, not Catfish Hunter and about the 67 White Sox not Red.

hawkjt
09-15-2008, 10:29 AM
This makes a lot of sense. Hawk has maybe two seasons left which will allow Stoney to be ready to take over the booth in a transition.
When Hawk retires, it will leave a hole for fans that have grown up on Hawk but Stoney's presence will ease that.
When Farmio leaves...no one will shed tears,imo.
Wish they could dump Ed and retain DJ with a new pbp guy.

Stoney and Hawk....yesssss!

jabrch
09-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Agreed, I love listening to Hawk

I know he has his warts - but I enjoy Hawk. He's a fan of this club - and I think that's a good thing. For TV, I can catch enough of what is going on that I don't need the greatest technical broadcasters, as long as they make it enjoyable.

alohafri
09-15-2008, 11:27 AM
What about bringing back Dave Wills. I believe his contract is up this year. I think it would be great.:)

Torn and I were talking about this last night. That would be awesome!

KenBerryGrab
09-15-2008, 11:30 AM
I have mixed feelings about this, probably for more selfish reasons. Living out of state I don't get many Sox games on TV, and I listen to the games on XM. I thought Stoney was a great compliment to Farmer, and I'll miss him on the radio broadcast.

Me, too. Stoney is perfect on the radio. He'll be great on TV, but he and Farmio have hit a real groove, and I will dearly miss that, as 670 is my main contact with Sox games.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 11:42 AM
Dave Wills is now out of the mix.

I understand this morning, that just last week, he signed a three year contract extension to remain with the Rays. The Rays haven't made that public yet but it is a fact.

I'm sure Sox fans are happy that he's going to be continuing to do what he loves doing but it's to bad it won't be back in Chicago.

My impression now regarding all this is that the Sox look like they'll be bringing in an ex-player to work with Farmer on radio with Ed remaining as play by play. Of course that is all dependent on what DJ says.

There are some who feel that unless he can get a TV job for more money somewhere else, he'll take the offer.

We'll see.

Lip

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 11:44 AM

I understand this morning, that just last week, he signed a three year contract extension to remain with the Rays. The Rays haven't made that public yet but it is a fact.

I'm sure Sox fans are happy that he's going to be continuing to do what he loves doing but it's to bad it won't be back in Chicago.

My impression now regarding all this is that the Sox look like they'll be bringing in an ex-player to work with Farmer on radio with Ed remaining as play by play. Of course that is all dependent on what DJ says.

There are some who feel that unless he can get a TV job for more money somewhere else, he'll take the offer.

We'll see.

Lip

If DJ were to turn down the offer, is there any chance that Black Jack might be given a chance? I remember him being pretty good, though it was a while ago.

jabrch
09-15-2008, 11:47 AM

That's a bummer...Good for Dave - bad for my listening pleasure.

btrain929
09-15-2008, 11:47 AM
If DJ were to turn down the offer, is there any chance that Black Jack might be given a chance? I remember him being pretty good, though it was a while ago.

My personal unresearched response would be no since it would be too big of a commitment for him, especially since he has his own band.

whitesoxwilkes
09-15-2008, 12:04 PM
That's a bummer...Good for Dave - bad for my listening pleasure.

Like we always say: "This is excellent news for Dave Wills, and terrible news for Sox fans.":redneck

nasox
09-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Like we always say: "This is excellent news for Dave Wills, and terrible news for Sox fans.":redneck

It seems like the stars never align on him. He left a year too soon to go to Tampa and he signed an extension a few weeks too soon that prevents him from coming back here. Who knows, maybe he likes it better out there.

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 12:30 PM
Marq:

Jack has often said that until his three kids are grown and out of the house he simply doesn't want to make the time commitment that's needed to do 162 games plus spring training.

Lip

Marqhead
09-15-2008, 12:33 PM
Marq:

Jack has often said that until his three kids are grown and out of the house he simply doesn't want to make the time commitment that's needed to do 162 games plus spring training.

Lip

Ok, now that is has been mentioned I do recall hearing that somewhere else. Is there any other speculation as to who it might be, or is everyone waiting on DJs reply?

Lip Man 1
09-15-2008, 12:36 PM
DJ has the first option right now.

Lip

alohafri
09-15-2008, 01:11 PM
Jack-FM is faltering. How about a Steve Dahl/Ed Farmer team? :wink:

Brian26
09-15-2008, 06:42 PM

If the Sox are going to take credit for the Stone deal, then they need to own up to the disaster of letting John Rooney slip away. Rooney should have been offered a blank check, and to this day the Sox claim that it was WSCR's decision, which is comical. Maybe we should give Comcast Sportsnet credit for signing Steve Stone. Meanwhile, we have to sit here and wait for the lesser of two evils next year on the radio: Farmer and DJ or Farmer and some combination of Ron Kittle and Tommy John, both of whom I can't stand listening to for more than five minutes at a time.

Tree Hate Me
09-16-2008, 12:37 PM
I bet if Mike North was still on The Score he'd be lobbying for the radio job.

Are Lorn Brown and/or Joe McConnell still with us?

jabrch
09-16-2008, 12:43 PM
Rooney should have been offered a blank check,

Rooney got his dream job. While I'm sure a zillion dollars (exaggeration) might have changed his mind, why do you think any reasonable amount of money would change his decision?

Lundind1
09-16-2008, 12:47 PM
I'm just disappointed because I kinda like DJ's smooth style and some of the things that he talks about with Hawk. I also liked listening to the radio now with Farmio and Stoney.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 12:51 PM
Tree:

Yes both Lorn and Joe are still with us.

FYI:

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/rwas/index.php?category=11&id=3310

Lip

Gammons Peter
09-16-2008, 01:22 PM
i never understood all the Dave Wills love

Chicago5oooh
09-16-2008, 02:31 PM
FWIW:

My old man used to play a ROTO league with Dave. Dave said he absolutely loves it in Tampa. The guy is beloved there, never has to pay for a drink and has that lovely year round weather. My Dad asked him if he would come back if a spot opened to which he replied "It would take an awful lot to get me out of here. I have it made here."

MeteorsSox4367
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Joe McConnell is the PBP voice of Purdue football.

Brian26
09-16-2008, 06:27 PM
Rooney got his dream job. While I'm sure a zillion dollars (exaggeration) might have changed his mind, why do you think any reasonable amount of money would change his decision?

Because he was happily employed here for 18 years. When he started in 1988, I'm pretty sure he didn't sign an 18-year contract. He negotiated and renewed his contract several times since then (negotiated with the Sox, by the way, and not WMAQ, SportsChannel, WFLD, or AM 1000). He had opportunities to leave before 2005. What caused him to leave was a slap-in-the-face contract offer "by WSCR" (rumored to be in fact a cut in pay). By the way, St. Louis conveniently let Wayne Hagin go after Rooney became available, not before.

This is all crying over spilled milk, so it's not even worth the trouble, but it's still annoying that they let one of the top two or three radio broadcasters walk away without a fight, and then they want a pat on the back for hiring Stone. I'd take Rooney back on radio anyday over Stone on tv.

Lip Man 1
09-16-2008, 09:57 PM
Chicago5:

That and the fact that he probably wouldn't come back just to call as play by play guy, three or four innings and hold Farmer's hand. I'm guessing he'd want in a written form, the notation that he does it for seven innings.

Lip

monkeypants
09-16-2008, 11:13 PM
I know he has his warts - but I enjoy Hawk. He's a fan of this club - and I think that's a good thing. For TV, I can catch enough of what is going on that I don't need the greatest technical broadcasters, as long as they make it enjoyable.
Ron Santo has his warts and is a fan of his club but that does not change the fact he is a horrible broadcaster. While Hawk is a much better broadcaster than Santo, it is still very difficult for me to watch a game with the sound on while the Hawk is behind the mike.

slavko
09-16-2008, 11:21 PM
Because he was happily employed here for 18 years. When he started in 1988, I'm pretty sure he didn't sign an 18-year contract. He negotiated and renewed his contract several times since then (negotiated with the Sox, by the way, and not WMAQ, SportsChannel, WFLD, or AM 1000). He had opportunities to leave before 2005. What caused him to leave was a slap-in-the-face contract offer "by WSCR" (rumored to be in fact a cut in pay). By the way, St. Louis conveniently let Wayne Hagin go after Rooney became available, not before.

In an earlier iteration of this thread a poster told us that Rooney complained to him at Sox Fest one year when the Cards job was open that the Sox were holding him to his contract and not letting him go "home" and that he (John) was mighty upset about it. So there's more than one version of the truth.

Nellie_Fox
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
...rumored to be in fact...Which is it? A rumor or a fact?

EuroSox35
09-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Ever since this news hit it seems like DJ has been 10x more laid back on the broadcast. I like it too, sounds more open, and more likely to not just defer in the booth

Tree Hate Me
09-17-2008, 01:53 PM
Joe McConnell is the PBP voice of Purdue football.

I had no idea Joe McConnell has been moonlighting as "Mr. Food" on ABC-7:

http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/pur/graphics/auto/Bttn_FBJoeMcConnell.jpg

Ever since this news hit it seems like DJ has been 10x more laid back on the broadcast. I like it too, sounds more open, and more likely to not just defer in the booth

He's definitely auditioning for another TV gig at this point. I wonder if the Hawkeroo eases back (even more than the usual inning or two) after the Sox clinch so DJ can showcase his talents(?) a little more.

jabrch
09-17-2008, 02:53 PM
Ron Santo has his warts and is a fan of his club but that does not change the fact he is a horrible broadcaster. While Hawk is a much better broadcaster than Santo, it is still very difficult for me to watch a game with the sound on while the Hawk is behind the mike.

That's the beauty of life - we all have choices. I prefer to look to the positives he brings to the table and listen to him. I ignore the few things I don't like.

jabrch
09-17-2008, 02:55 PM
He had opportunities to leave before 2005. What caused him to leave was a slap-in-the-face contract offer "by WSCR" (rumored to be in fact a cut in pay).

Maybe you are closer to Rooney than me. (that's entirely possible) and you know that to be fact. From all I have heard the Cards were his dream job. When he was offered it, he didn't think twice. It is entirely possible that there is more to it than just that...but at the same time, I'm not convinced that it was'nt just that.

Adele_H
09-17-2008, 03:03 PM
Very good if not exactly surprising news. Sorry DJ, it's business not personal. Best of luck and thanks for the memories.

As for the Hawkaroo... he's the best there is & best there ever was. Why can't his haters understand and embrace that impregnable fact? :dunno:

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 05:19 PM
Very good if not exactly surprising news. Sorry DJ, it's business not personal. Best of luck and thanks for the memories.

As for the Hawkaroo... he's the best there is & best there ever was. Why can't his haters understand and embrace that impregnable fact? :dunno:

Hawk's style is impetuous. His defense is impregnable.

Adele_H
09-17-2008, 10:50 PM
Hawk's style is impetuous. His defense is impregnable.

What's impetuous?

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
What's impetuous?

im·pet·u·ous
Pronunciation: \im-ˈpech-wəs; -ˈpe-chə-, -chü-əs\ Function: adjective 1 : marked by impulsive vehemence or passion <an impetuous temperament> 2 : marked by force and violence of movement or action <an impetuous wind>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NB_CB1p5Q4&feature=related

Adele_H
09-17-2008, 11:36 PM
im·pet·u·ous
Pronunciation: \im-ˈpech-wəs; -ˈpe-chə-, -chü-əs\ Function: adjective 1 : marked by impulsive vehemence or passion <an impetuous temperament> 2 : marked by force and violence of movement or action <an impetuous wind>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NB_CB1p5Q4&feature=related

No, seriously, what does the word mean? I hate not knowing so much. :(:

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 11:38 PM
No, seriously, what does the word mean? I hate not knowing so much. :(:

Did you miss the Merriam-Webster definition in my post?

Adele_H
09-17-2008, 11:47 PM
Did you miss the Merriam-Webster definition in my post?

No, but what does it have to do with the definition of 'impestumous' or whatever that word was that you tried to teach me in another post. :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
09-17-2008, 11:50 PM
No, but what does it have to do with the definition of 'impestumous' or whatever that word was that you tried to teach me in another post. :scratch:Stop.

Konerko05
09-17-2008, 11:51 PM
"Impotent." It's when you can't make babies no more.

Adele_H
09-18-2008, 01:09 AM
Stop.

It means 'stop'? I doubt it.

SoxFan1979
09-18-2008, 01:44 AM
Bring back Wimpy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nellie_Fox
09-18-2008, 10:39 AM
It means 'stop'? I doubt it.No, it meant stop constantly looking for fights.

35th&Shields
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM

Agreed. Rongey is great. He is very smooth and polished and knows a lot about the team. I like DJ, but it could just be that his time has passed.

johnr1note
09-18-2008, 01:15 PM
I did say Elson was great(He is in ths HOF). I grew up in the 50s with the pocket radio under my pillow listening to the Commander." Remember fans,errors like hits and runs are all part of this great game". " I'll be back in a few minutes with somemore dugout dope". " Thats a White Owl Wallop and a box of White Owl cigars for Big Klu".

"And remember fans, never borrow money needlessly, but when you need to borrow, call Household finance. . . "

PaleHoseGeorge
09-18-2008, 08:15 PM
This should be interesting. Stone has his toughest assignment yet curbing an egomaniac that makes Farmer's look like Mother Theresa's by comparison.

Personally I'm looking forward to Stone changing the subject every time Hawk starts whining about ball-strike calls. It has gotten completely out of control this summer.
:o:

Positive spin: I won't need to turn down the TV audio anymore.
:thumbsup:

Negative spin: It might be a quiet summer for my radio out in the yard if they don't find someone new good enough to rein in Farmer.
:(:

KingXerxes
09-18-2008, 08:38 PM
This should be interesting. Stone has his toughest assignment yet curbing an egomaniac that makes Farmer's look like Mother Theresa's by comparison.

Personally I'm looking forward to Stone changing the subject every time Hawk starts whining about ball-strike calls. It has gotten completely out of control this summer.
:o:

Positive spin: I won't need to turn down the TV audio anymore.
:thumbsup:

Negative spin: It might be a quiet summer for my radio out in the yard if they don't find someone new good enough to rein in Farmer.
:(:

PaleHose - Couldn't agree more. It will be interesting to see who changes their style to suit the other. I can't believe Stone will sit around and chat about how McDougal is the best major league pitcher when it comes to picking up bunts down the first base line and firing across his body toward third blah blah blah blah.

I turned on the TV to catch the score tonight (unfortunately) and hear Harrelson talking about how he cried (while playing right field) during Mickey Mantle's last at bat, and how he looked over to left and saw Yaz bawling his eyes out, then he went on to say that he wept openly at the sight of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played record..........Who buys this crap????

:hawk

"Sniff.......sniff.........sniff.......I am very sensitive."

Adele_H
09-18-2008, 10:49 PM
I turned on the TV to catch the score tonight (unfortunately) and hear Harrelson talking about how he cried (while playing right field) during Mickey Mantle's last at bat, and how he looked over to left and saw Yaz bawling his eyes out, then he went on to say that he wept openly at the sight of Cal Ripken breaking Lou Gehrig's consecutive games played record..........Who buys this crap????

"

Why can't grown men cry on occasion? :dunno:

/

Daver
09-18-2008, 11:32 PM
Why can't grown men cry on occasion? :dunno:

/

Listening to Ken Harrellson makes me want to weep if that counts.

cards press box
09-19-2008, 02:54 PM
Negative spin: It might be a quiet summer for my radio out in the yard if they don't find someone new good enough to rein in Farmer.:(:

I've listened to Dave Wills announce many Rays games on XM radio this year. If we catch a break, the Sox bring him back to do play-by-play and I'm confident that he would rein in Ed Farmer, when necessary. Wills and Farmer would definitely give the radio booth a genuine South Side presence, as well.

Lip Man 1
09-19-2008, 10:39 PM
Cards:

Earlier in this thread I posted that Dave signed a three year extension last week with the Rays. It hasn't been announced yet, but it has happened.

I wish him all the best.

Lip

Scottiehaswheels
09-19-2008, 10:45 PM
I'd like WSCR to look at Joe Castellano from XM175 for the radio gig if DJ turns it down.