PDA

View Full Version : Linebrink back to 8th inning role

Evman5
09-13-2008, 10:37 AM
IMO its a good move. Our bullpen has been awful in the eight inning lately and it is costing us quite a few games. If Linebrink never went down I am convinced we would have at least a five game lead on the Twinkies. There is no way Linebrink can have worse results than our current situation. Hopefully we can go back to our starters giving us 6-7 strong innings, mixing and matching Dotel and Thorton in the 7th and bringing in Linebrink and Jenks to close it out. That was our bread and butter the first half of the season.

Bullpen Without Linebrink:
August ERA: 4.87
September ERA: 4.86

Bullpen With Linebrink:
2.15 ERA in May
2.20 ERA in June.

Hopefully he can regain his form, this is a huge key down the stretch. Obviously his health will be a huge factor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-080912-chicago-white-sox-detroit-tigers,0,6637607.story

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 10:39 AM
I just read this in the Tribune this morning. I think it is outstanding news. I still feel much more comfortable with Linebrink in the 8th inning. And the only way he can regain the form in the 8th inning is by playing in it.

champagne030
09-13-2008, 10:53 AM
IMO its a good move. Our bullpen has been awful in the eight inning lately and it is costing us quite a few games. If Linebrink never went down I am convinced we would have at least a five game lead on the Twinkies. There is no way Linebrink can have worse results than our current situation. Hopefully we can go back to our starters giving us 6-7 strong innings, mixing and matching Dotel and Thorton in the 7th and bringing in Linebrink and Jenks to close it out. That was our bread and butter the first half of the season.

Bullpen Without Linebrink:
August ERA: 4.87
September ERA: 4.86

Bullpen With Linebrink:
2.15 ERA in May
2.20 ERA in June.

Hopefully he can regain his form, this is a huge key down the stretch. Obviously his health will be a huge factor.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/chi-080912-chicago-white-sox-detroit-tigers,0,6637607.story

This would be a Godsend because for some reason Ozzie lets him face righties and lefties. Additionally, Ozzie doesn't **** up the inning by burning multiple pitchers and, more importantly, blowing the lead or letting the game get out of hand by having substandard pitchers pitching in games where the outcome is still in balance.

hi im skot
09-13-2008, 11:08 AM
It'd be awesome if Linebrink threw strikes again.

FielderJones
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
It'd be awesome if Linebrink threw strikes again.

The only way he's going to get his control back is in game situations. He did manage to escape a jam of his own making (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080912&content_id=3465538&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws). Everyone else sucks in the 8th. Ozzie is right, he's got nothing to lose, and everything to gain.

whitesox901
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
Great, im glad we're going to the old formula

7th Dotel
8th Linebrink
9th Jenks

turners56
09-13-2008, 01:59 PM
If he has his control, awesome. If he doesn't, I'd rather have Dotel in there giving up the occasional home run.

guillensdisciple
09-13-2008, 03:15 PM
Awesome news, gives the sox bullpen a very powerful weapon.