Javy to start game 1 2:55 vs Rogers

starter TBA game 2 vs Miner

Danks to start on Sunday

scarsofthumper
09-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Good call!

sox1970
09-12-2008, 08:35 PM
Rongey said Sunday, so if they changed it, blame Ranger.

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2008, 08:39 PM
So, Sunday at 3 pm will be the make-up game for tonight's game?

Great! This means we'll get to see pretty much the whole Bears game beforehand! Wonderful!

anewman35
09-12-2008, 08:42 PM
If they do it Sunday, and the game gets delayed at all, or takes a long time, it might run into ESPN's time. I wonder if they'd show the end of the first game, or just keep it in studio. Hmm.

DSpivack
So, Sunday at 3 pm will be the make-up game for tonight's game?

Great! This means we'll get to see pretty much the whole Bears game beforehand! Wonderful!

Huh? If tomorrow is a DHer, why change Sunday's game time?

Sockinchisox
This makes no sense since it's supposed to rain harder tomorrow.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 08:43 PM
DH on Saturday. 2:55. Tonight's game tix...probably will have to be used for a different game.

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Huh? If tomorrow is a DHer, why change Sunday's game time?
Rongy said it was Sunday.

anewman35
09-12-2008, 08:46 PM
This makes no sense since it's supposed to rain harder tomorrow.

It makes perfect sense to schedule it for tomorrow. If they do, and it rains, they just cancel it again, no harm. But if they didn't, and by some off chance it DOESN'T rain tomorrow, the Sox would look pretty stupid.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Rongy said it was Sunday.

Rongey was wrong. The games are Saturday. They are not split. The first game is at 2:55.

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 08:48 PM
so what is it?

Sat or Sund and is it a split?

The Sox will not lose a full gate IMO. It has to be a split, don't you think.

anewman35
09-12-2008, 08:49 PM
so what is it?

Sat or Sund and is it a split?

The Sox will not lose a full gate IMO. It has to be a split, don't you think.

Perhaps the Sox are putting the team, and getting the games in, ahead of money? It is possible, you know.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/index.jsp?c_id=cws

anewman35
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
Wasn't there a discussion here just a few days ago about how there would probably never be another "normal" doubleheader ever? Oops.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 08:54 PM
They're also saying the matchups are getting switched because they warmed up.

Saturday-
Game 1: Vazquez vs Rogers
Game 2: TBA(probably Broadway) vs Miner

Sunday: Danks vs Verlander

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Perhaps the Sox are putting the team, and getting the games in, ahead of money? It is possible, you know.

Well, the back to back does beat having to ship the games to a different location when it comes to money.

I wonder if MLB ordered them to make them back to back or ship the games to a different location?

anewman35
09-12-2008, 08:58 PM
Well, the back to back does beat having to ship the games to a different location when it comes to money.

I wonder if MLB ordered them to make them back to back or ship the games to a different location?

Also, Fox figures in with it tomorrow. They couldn't do a normal split doubleheader tomorrow because Fox had the game, and it probably wasn't a very good idea to wait until Sunday considering the forecast, so this is the best option.

chisoxfanatic
Someone at Whitesox.com's message board is reporting a "two for the price of one DH" tomorrow. I don't get how they'd be able to work that out, as tonight's game was a sell-out, meaning there'd be a possibility of having almost every seat having two ticket holders.

LoveYourSuit
http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080912&content_id=3463924&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

This article says nothing yet.

dickallen15
09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
They are having a straight DH for a few reasons. Because it is a Fox game the 3 o'clock start was not able to be moved, so a split DH is out because there is really no time to clear out the stadium and fill it up again unless you want to start the second game at 9 or 10 at night or in the morning. They have to schedule it Saturday because of all the rain predicted. If one or both games get rained out tomorrow, the split DH would most likely be back on Sunday.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 09:00 PM
Someone at Whitesox.com's message board is reporting a "two for the price of one DH" tomorrow. I don't get how they'd be able to work that out, as tonight's game was a sell-out, meaning there'd be a possibility of having almost every seat having two ticket holders.

Tonight's tickets aren't good for a specific game now. Call the ticket office.

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2008, 09:01 PM
Tonight's tickets aren't good for a specific game now. Call the ticket office.
So, that means that those with tickets to tomorrow's game get to go to 2, while those of us with tickets to tonight's game might be screwed?

sox1970
09-12-2008, 09:02 PM
So, that means that those with tickets to tomorrow's game get to go to 2, while those of us with tickets to tonight's game might be screwed?

Exactly. They'll probably be good for an exchange to a remaining game this year or next year. They've done that in the past.

MCHSoxFan
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
I had Scout Seats tonight so I got a 1st hand look at what happened. The game will be played on Sunday prior to the normal ESPN game. The security guys said, the women who runs GR's said it, and Roger was talking about it. IT WILL BE ON SUNDAY.

all*star quentin
09-12-2008, 09:05 PM
anyone else listening the score? Milt Pappas is on said he was at the game tonite!

DSpivack
09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
I had Scout Seats tonight so I got a 1st hand look at what happened. The game will be played on Sunday prior to the normal ESPN game. The security guys said, the women who runs GR's said it, and Roger was talking about it. IT WILL BE ON SUNDAY.

Then why does it say on the Sox website that the DH is tomorrow?

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2008, 09:06 PM
Well, if this isn't the biggest sense of confusion that has surrounded a make-up game. I hope Rongey was right when he said it will be on Sunday.

MCHSoxFan
09-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Then why does it say on the Sox website that the DH is tomorrow?

No clue. Maybe it changed but all the people who were making the calls said SUNDAY.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 09:08 PM
Well, if this isn't the biggest sense of confusion that has surrounded a make-up game. I hope Rongey was right when he said it will be on Sunday.

He was wrong. Stop confusing everyone. The games are tomorrow.

JB98
09-12-2008, 09:09 PM
The doubleheader is tomorrow, folks. Already a story over the AP wire and a release from the club. Doesn't matter what they said at the ballpark. The official word is a DH Saturday.

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 09:09 PM

Someone shoot me.

I am confused. :scratch:

Konerko05
09-12-2008, 09:10 PM
They are having a straight DH for a few reasons. Because it is a Fox game the 3 o'clock start was not able to be moved, so a split DH is out because there is really no time to clear out the stadium and fill it up again unless you want to start the second game at 9 or 10 at night or in the morning. They have to schedule it Saturday because of all the rain predicted. If one or both games get rained out tomorrow, the split DH would most likely be back on Sunday.

Ok, but how does that all work out with seating arragements. Problems such as two people with the same seat, or too many people attending the games?

I remember going to a straight double header, but it was when we were drawing about 15,000 a game.

all*star quentin

put the radio on...670thescore

DSpivack
No clue. Maybe it changed but all the people who were making the calls said SUNDAY.

It still is confusing. Tigers website says DH is tomorrow, when you click on the story it says a day-night DH sunday.

kevingrt

Still massive confusion. I say triple header Sunday. That's why we have three catchers in September right?

roylestillman
Just got home. (Feels like I only made it a quarter of the way to St.Pat's Day)

Did the Sox call this one (their call up until start of the game) or the umps? If it was the umps, don't they have to wait 90 minutes before calling it?Either way why did they have Danks waste a warm up.

No info on the make up was given at the park.

whitesoxwilkes
09-12-2008, 09:11 PM

Your star****ing babble is 100% dead wrong.

Game is TOMORROW. Saturday.

sox1970
put the radio on...670thescore

I'm listening. 2 tomorrow.

dickallen15
Ok, but how does that all work out with seating arragements. Problems such as two people with the same seat, or too many people attending the games?

I remember going to a straight double header, but it was when we were drawing about 15,000 a game.

I'm willing to bet tonight's tickets aren't good for anything tomorrow, probably you could exchange them, and if one of the games gets rained out tomorrow, tonight's tickets assuming you haven't exchange it yet would be good for the early game on Sunday.

MCHSoxFan
09-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Okay, if this god ****ing game is tomorrow, when the **** exactly is it? Original game is 2:55 so when is today's game gonna be played. THANKS!!!:rolleyes:

DSpivack
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM
Okay, if this god ****ing game is tomorrow, when the **** exactly is it? Original game is 2:55 so when is today's game gonna be played. THANKS!!!:rolleyes:

If it's tomorrow, then the first game is at 2:55 with the makeup directly after that.

dickallen15
09-12-2008, 09:14 PM

If it doesn't rainout tomorrow, the White Sox will lose a gate.

sox1970
09-12-2008, 09:15 PM

http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=2036677&postcount=8

JB98

The first game is at 2:55. The second game will start 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

anewman35

A half hour or so after the first game ends, like every doubleheader used to be until a few years ago. Tonight's tickets do nothing for tomorrow, unless you exchange them for other unsold tickets. Is this really that hard a concept for people?

anewman35
If it doesn't rainout tomorrow, the White Sox will lose a gate.

**** happens. If we end up tied with Minnesota, we gain a gate.

anewman35
09-12-2008, 09:17 PM
Here's the important question: do we wear the green uniforms one of the games tomorrow?

Quentin08
09-12-2008, 09:18 PM
With all this confusion, no one's gonna show up at game time.

And did they really have to show a picture of a dude with a mullet on the white sox home page? :scratch:

MCHSoxFan
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
The first game is at 2:55. The second game will start 30 minutes after the conclusion of the first game.

Thanks everybody!!! (4 post after mine lol) :smile:

The thing is though, tomorrow is gonna be the worst of today, tomorrow, and Sunday. So, we may end up have more than 1 game on Sunday.

kevingrt
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM

The thing is though, tomorrow is gonna be the worst of today, tomorrow, and Sunday. So, we may end up have more than 1 game on Sunday.

I'm telling you triple headers sunday at Miller Park. Phillips first game, Toby second game, AJ the third game.

DeadMoney
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM

No one will have to show up at game-time because they'll already be there for the first game at 2:55.

anewman35
09-12-2008, 09:21 PM

Game time is the same time game time was scheduled for. There will just be another game after it.

MCHSoxFan
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
A half hour or so after the first game ends, like every doubleheader used to be until a few years ago. Tonight's tickets do nothing for tomorrow, unless you exchange them for other unsold tickets. Is this really that hard a concept for people?

Um, based on what you just said, YES. YES IT IS. Remember in 2007 the game that was too cold to play in? Well, we played in July and guess what? I USED THE SAME DAMN TICKETS I HAD IN APRIL!!!! Same with all the other rained-out games (2007 TB, 2007 DET, ect.)

sox1970
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM

Sunday night is supposed to be Ike rain. I'll be very surprised if they play three games this weekend. Hey-they'll play them September 29 if they have to. Might not be the worst thing to have the Tigers come back when they'd rather be starting their offseason.

salty99
09-12-2008, 09:23 PM
Game time is the same time game time was scheduled for. There will just be another game after it.

No because it will be raining..haha

anewman35
09-12-2008, 09:24 PM
Um, based on what you just said, YES. YES IT IS. Remember in 2007 the game that was too cold to play in? Well, we played in July and guess what? I USED THE SAME DAMN TICKETS I HAD IN APRIL!!!! Same with all the other rained-out games (2007 TB, 2007 DET, ect.)

But like I just said, those were split doubleheaders, with seperate admissions. The Sox have been doing those for 3 or 4 years. Normal doubleheaders are two games for the same admission. That's what tomorrow is. It's nothing like anything that happened in 2007.

JB98
Sunday night is supposed to be Ike rain. I'll be very surprised if they play three games this weekend. Hey-they'll play them September 29 if they have to. Might not be the worst thing to have the Tigers come back when they'd rather be starting their offseason.

I actually don't think they'll play at all Sunday, given the weather reports I've seen. I hope they can get a game or two in tomorrow, especially since I hold tickets.

DSpivack

Were those just canceled games made up at a later date, though? Those weren't true doubleheaders where the team lost a gate.

EuroSox35
09-12-2008, 09:30 PM

In other words, they should've played tonight

Ranger
09-12-2008, 09:32 PM
The earlier decision was that of a split DH on Sunday, but after tonight's game was called the teams spent some time working out other options with MLB. So, they decided on a straight DH for Saturday instead. We were originally told it would be a split for Sunday if there was a rainout either tonight or tomorrow, but obviously that changed. Sorry for the confusion.

LoveYourSuit

Seeing that you made this post 4 pages in, I guess it is hard concept for everyone including you. :tongue:

alohafri

I have just switched from beer to gin! :D:

kevingrt
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
I have just switched from beer to gin! :D:

That's really all that matters aloha. Some people just don't understand that here.

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 09:34 PM
The earlier decision was that of a split DH on Sunday, but after tonight's game was called the teams spent some time working out other options with MLB. So, they decided on a straight DH for Saturday instead. We were originally told it would be a split for Sunday if there was a rainout either tonight or tomorrow, but obviously that changed. Sorry for the confusion.

As for "losing the gate," I'm sure MLB has a vault to dig into to compensate the team losing a date because of weather. It might be part of revenue sharing.

chisoxfanatic
09-12-2008, 09:42 PM
I just called the Sox ticket office, and the lady I talked with said that tickets to tonight's game may be used as a voucher for the 2009 season (except for the home opener and the Cubs games), since there are so few home games left. In the case that ticket prices go up and you still want to sit at least near where your seat was, you'd have to pay the difference.

WS in 05
09-12-2008, 09:46 PM
I have tickets to 2:55, but work til 6 if I walk up at 6:30 will they let me in?

anewman35
09-12-2008, 09:48 PM
I have tickets to 2:55, but work til 6 if I walk up at 6:30 will they let me in?

Why wouldn't they?

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 10:16 PM
Why wouldn't they?

Because Greg Walker should be fired.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-12-2008, 11:02 PM

Your apology is certainly not accepted. Things changed? Damn your eyes!

:happybday

The phrase that popped into my head reading this thread was one of my late mother's: Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I'll just say that's a prayer for the people affected by Ike, and leave it at that.

Straight doubleheaders -- two games for the price of one -- may be so rare now that some young fans may never have seen (or heard of) one. I can't recall the last one I attended, but I am there tomorrow. :bandance:

Brian26
09-12-2008, 11:09 PM
Your star****ing babble is 100% dead wrong.

Game is TOMORROW. Saturday.

:rolling:

ChiSoxGirl
09-13-2008, 12:55 AM
Your apology is certainly not accepted. Things changed? Damn your eyes!

:happybday

The phrase that popped into my head reading this thread was one of my late mother's: Jesus, Mary and Joseph. I'll just say that's a prayer for the people affected by Ike, and leave it at that.

Straight doubleheaders -- two games for the price of one -- may be so rare now that some young fans may never have seen (or heard of) one. I can't recall the last one I attended, but I am there tomorrow. :bandance:

The last one I went to (and I think it was the last scheduled straight doubleheader for the Sox) was in May 2004 against the Blue Jays (I think...). I'll also be there tomorrow and am stoked!

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 01:32 AM
Exactly. They'll probably be good for an exchange to a remaining game this year or next year. They've done that in the past.

THATS ****ING BULL****!

I have tickets for the next ****ing homestand. I want to go tomorrow night.

HORSE****ING ****!

chisoxmike
09-13-2008, 01:33 AM
I just called the Sox ticket office, and the lady I talked with said that tickets to tonight's game may be used as a voucher for the 2009 season (except for the home opener and the Cubs games), since there are so few home games left. In the case that ticket prices go up and you still want to sit at least near where your seat was, you'd have to pay the difference.

****ing bull****!

MrRoboto83
09-13-2008, 01:38 AM
i think the odds are high that the Sox are able to play 2 games, I can see the DH getting rained out.

Mohoney
09-13-2008, 05:46 AM
There should have been 5 or 6 innings of baseball tonight to avoid this mess. It wasn't raining that hard at 7:11. Get 5 or 6 innings in, call it when the heavy stuff comes down, and everybody's happy.

Mohoney
09-13-2008, 05:52 AM
So ticket holders to Saturday's game get 2 games, and ticket holders for Friday's game do the exchange?

I have tickets for both, so does that mean I get a free game, or do I need to bring my Friday ticket for admission to one of the games Saturday?

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 06:05 AM
I don't know how they're gonna play today either.

The weather looks like its just going to get worse--and its been raining all night.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 06:22 AM

The weather looks like its just going to get worse--and its been raining all night.

It rained so hard here that my main sump pump couldn't keep up and the battery back up kicked in.

No water in the crawl space! :bandance:

That being said, I think the only baseball being played today is on XBox.

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 06:29 AM

If you go to http://www.accuweather.com/ and click on "animate" for the map on the main page, it looks like that thin band of yellowish red is going to stay over Chicagoland for its entire length. Then, you've got the remnants from Ike, which will come up here on Sunday. I think we'll be lucky if we can get 1 game in this series.

SoxGirl4Life
09-13-2008, 06:47 AM
If you go to http://www.accuweather.com/ and click on "animate" for the map on the main page, it looks like that thin band of yellowish red is going to stay over Chicagoland for its entire length. Then, you've got the remnants from Ike, which will come up here on Sunday. I think we'll be lucky if we can get 1 game in this series.

Both the Sox and Cubs could move their series' to Milwaukee (with or without the roof) for the weekend:
Sox/Tigers, Cubs/Astros dh today
Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday
I doubt they'd do this because of revenue concerns, but if MLB has to reschedule all these games, it will be a nightmare and could push back the playoffs.

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 08:25 AM
Both the Sox and Cubs could move their series' to Milwaukee (with or without the roof) for the weekend:

Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday

I doubt they'd do this because of revenue concerns, but if MLB has to reschedule all these games, it will be a nightmare and could push back the playoffs.

I thought the Cubs already are scheduled for a DH on Sunday at Houston. Now no one may be at the game because they will be rebuilding after Ike. But I thought the Cubs plans were set in stone.

As for the Sox. I say we get a DH in tomorrow at Miller Park and reschedule one of the games for the Monday at the end of the season.

sox1970
09-13-2008, 08:26 AM

Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday

It may happen. The regular season could be 3 days longer than it was supposed to be. They better not make the Sox and Tigers play a doubleheader on the 29th, and a single game on the 30th. That would be awful for the pitching staff going into the playoffs (hopefully).

alohafri
09-13-2008, 08:36 AM

I say we go to the suggestion I gave the Astros...play chicken with the Tigers. Tell them "we are playing." Make the Tigers either play or forfeit. :redneck

alohafri
09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday

I could see them moving OUR home games to Milwaukee, but the Astros home games should be moved somewhere in a fair proximity to Houston. Are the Rangers on the road? And what is the weather like in Arlington?

SoxandtheCityTee
09-13-2008, 08:38 AM
Even if they had gotten in all or most of the game last night (as just about everyone thought they should have, except the ump unfortunately) odds appear to be that MLB would still be facing a situation of historic proportions. So many games PPD, so late in the season, with so many races undecided -- they will have to make this one up as they go along.

It is pouring here, close to the park. Can't believe they will get 18 innings in today. I thought this much rain was not predicted till Sunday. :scratch:

diehardRLsoxfan
09-13-2008, 09:43 AM
Any word on the status of today's games yet?

ChiSoxGirl
09-13-2008, 09:51 AM

I've got The Score on and on the 9:30a update, they said a doubleheader is still scheduled.... Stay tuned!

DumpJerry
09-13-2008, 09:53 AM
We're going to sweep the Kittes today while the O's do the same to the Twins.

I like that status!

blacksox07
09-13-2008, 09:57 AM
I'd say they're going to call these games off by 1pm today. They dont want to open the gates and get everyone in the stadium again just to call it at the last minute...not to mention the pitchers warming up.

There's pretty much a 70% chance of rain the entire day, some of it will be heavy, and some of it will have thunder; both games will be canceled today.

Since yesterdays tickets are good for a "future game". Then that would mean that today's game (once canceled) will probably be part of a split double header tomorrow. Which sucks!!! Since the bears are on, AND i'm not going to leave the tv when there's a 60% chance of heavy rain all day tomorrow.

MLB should push the playoffs back 3 days to allow for all the washouts this weekend. I DO NOT feel like going up to Milwaukee....ughh

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
I'd say they're going to call these games off by 1pm today. They dont want to open the gates and get everyone in the stadium again just to call it at the last minute...not to mention the pitchers warming up.

There's pretty much a 70% chance of rain the entire day, some of it will be heavy, and some of it will have thunder; both games will be canceled today.

Since yesterdays tickets are good for a "future game". Then that would mean that today's game (once canceled) will probably be part of a split double header tomorrow. Which sucks!!! Since the bears are on, AND i'm not going to leave the tv when there's a 60% chance of heavy rain all day tomorrow.

MLB should push the playoffs back 3 days to allow for all the washouts this weekend. I DO NOT feel like going up to Milwaukee....ughh

From looking at the radar the south side of the city may have about a three hour break from rain but that starts now. I have no clue what it will be like come 3:05 though.

DumpJerry
09-13-2008, 10:02 AM
I'd say they're going to call these games off by 1pm today. They dont want to open the gates and get everyone in the stadium again just to call it at the last minute...
Yeah, they hate selling all that beer while we stand around. Like rainouts in the past where everyone knows the game will be called, but the Sox pretend it won't for two hours (2007 Thursday game against the Red Sox with rain so hard, you could not see the other side of the park).

RallyBowl
09-13-2008, 10:07 AM
Yeah I went to a game against the Yanks in 06 I think where the Bulls were also playing, maybe a playoff game. They kept us hanging around thinking the game was gonna be a go, but there was no way. It was clear to me they were raking in the dough where I was in the Bullpen bar, and they wanted to keep milking it as long as they could. If they have a chance to get people in the stadium they'll take it any day of the week.

champagne030
09-13-2008, 10:25 AM

Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday

No ****ing way!

That would be a home game for the Flubs, and because of their sheep fans, a road game for us....

Bob G
09-13-2008, 10:28 AM
This should be a lot of fun .. I have tickets to the 2:55 game today which will likely be cancelled and then I have a Sunday 7am flight to NYC and tickets to the Monday game which isn't looking too good either!!

Law11
09-13-2008, 10:30 AM
The issue is all this weather is moving east and will affect us in Ny as well.
Just call the season today

WE WIN!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

DumpJerry
09-13-2008, 10:35 AM
No ****ing way!

That would be a home game for the Flubs, and because of their sheep fans, a road game for us....
:scratch::?:

Why do you care about what it would seem like for the Cubs? Did they get moved into the AL Central last night?

You're right, it would seem like a road game for the Sox because Detroit is much closer to Milwaukee than Chicago.

hi im skot
09-13-2008, 10:48 AM
This should be a lot of fun .. I have tickets to the 2:55 game today which will likely be cancelled and then I have a Sunday 7am flight to NYC and tickets to the Monday game which isn't looking too good either!!

I've got an early flight on Monday, and tickets to Monday and Tuesday's games.

The next few days are in danger of getting a big FAIL stamp.

champagne030
09-13-2008, 10:49 AM
:scratch::?:

Why do you care about what it would seem like for the Cubs? Did they get moved into the AL Central last night?

You're right, it would seem like a road game for the Sox because Detroit is much closer to Milwaukee than Chicago.

I care because if we played an unscheduled game in Milwaukee on the same day as the Flubs, the crowd would not be cheering the Sox. It would be a road game for us.....

Foulke You
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
I have no idea how the Sox are going to even get 1 game in today let alone 2. The Weather Channel is calling for rain all day today. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but here in Des Plaines, it hasn't stopped raining since yesterday afternoon. I think the people going to the park today will be going to just buy hot dogs and merchandise but there probably won't be any baseball.

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 10:50 AM
The issue is all this weather is moving east and will affect us in Ny as well.
Just call the season today

WE WIN!!:bandance::bandance::bandance:

According to weather.com there is only a 30% chance of rain Monday in New York, then high and dry the rest of the week.

Bob G
09-13-2008, 10:53 AM
I have no idea how the Sox are going to even get 1 game in today let alone 2. The Weather Channel is calling for rain all day today. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but here in Des Plaines, it hasn't stopped raining since yesterday afternoon. I think the people going to the park today will be going to just buy hot dogs and merchandise but there probably won't be any baseball.

I hope they call the game soon enough so people don't have to drive through the flooded roads for nothing...

LauraJ14
09-13-2008, 10:54 AM

I just watched the weather on CLTV and they are saying that there is a time frame this afternoon and into early evening where it should be dry. So maybe the Sox can get at least one game in.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 11:02 AM
I hope they call the game soon enough so people don't have to drive through the flooded roads for nothing...
That's what I was thinking.

TWC is saying that parts of I-90 are closed near O'Hare

Foulke You
09-13-2008, 11:03 AM
I just watched the weather on CLTV and they are saying that there is a time frame this afternoon and into early evening where it should be dry. So maybe the Sox can get at least one game in.
My feeling though is that if the crew chief last night didn't want to start in a light rain with the field in relatively good shape, he isn't going to want to start in a light rain after the field has taken on 15 more hours of rain. Roger Bossard is the Sodfather but he isn't a miracle worker. Our drainage system has to have limits and then that field will become a soggy mess.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 11:05 AM
Our drainage system has to have limits and then that field will become a soggy mess.

It didn't rain enough for the field to be a problem. The field will not be a reason for calling the game.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 11:13 AM
It didn't rain enough for the field to be a problem. The field will not be a reason for calling the game.Last night no, but today could be a different story. It hasn't stopped raining at all

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Sox/Tigers dh tomorrow
Cubs/Astros dh on Monday

There are a million problems with schedule a Sox game on short notice....the first and formost being securing the hundreds if not thousands of employees needed to run a major league game who had previously thought they had the weekend off.

Not going to happen.

Jaffar
09-13-2008, 11:14 AM
Looking at the radar the bad stuff appears just north of the park. It seems like it is going to stay that way and the big swell right now should be through soon.

JB98
09-13-2008, 11:17 AM

Yeah, I have a ticket for today, and I'm struggling to decide what to do. It was pouring when I went to bed last night. It was pouring when I awoke once in the middle of the night. It was pouring when I got up this morning, and it's still pouring now.

Of course, this is North Aurora and not the South Side of Chicago. It could be totally different at the park. But everything is flooded and all ****ed up, and I don't want to venture out, just so the Sox can make a profit when I buy a bottle of water at the park. I want to see baseball, and I'm not real confident that's going to take place given the weather at my house right now.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 11:17 AM
Last night no, but today could be a different story. It hasn't stopped raining at all

Hanover Park has gotten over five inches but the field only got a couple inches. It stopped raining there a while ago.

gn2727
09-13-2008, 11:29 AM
Jeez I dont know what everyone is going nuts over in this thread. They will more than likely not get 1 game in today let alone 2. I do believe its gonna rain all day. Then on Sunday the leftovers from IKE come this way so I dont think they are gonna get this series in at all.........:angry:

DumpJerry
09-13-2008, 11:33 AM
There are a million problems with schedule a Sox game on short notice....the first and formost being securing the hundreds if not thousands of employees needed to run a major league game who had previously thought they had the weekend off.

Not going to happen.
They did it last year. I did not realize that the Brewers did not employ anyone to work their stadium.

salty99
09-13-2008, 11:34 AM
I don't want to venture out, just so the Sox can make a profit when I buy a bottle of water at the park. I want to see baseball, and I'm not real confident that's going to take place given the weather at my house right now.

Bring in your own sealed bottled of water. Problem solved.

JB98
09-13-2008, 11:37 AM
Bring in your own sealed bottled of water. Problem solved.

Well, yeah, I know that. I was just being a wise ass. Like a lot of others, I get irritated when the Sox wait to call the game until they get 30,000 hopeful fans in the stadium.

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Well, yeah, I know that. I was just being a wise ass. Like a lot of others, I get irritated when the Sox wait to call the game until they get 30,000 hopeful fans in the stadium.

"Others." I think every fan hates it when they do that.

salty99
09-13-2008, 11:46 AM

Yes so was I. I also doubt more than 10,000 show today.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 11:47 AM
They did it last year. I did not realize that the Brewers did not employ anyone to work their stadium.

Miller Park is self-service.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 11:49 AM

Save your sarcasm. You think minimum wage concenssion workers are sitting there waiting by their phone for a call to come in on 8 hours notice?

These aren't doctors on call 48 straight hours. Workers make plans on thier off days. You'll get some to come in but you'll get many others who will say screw it.

The point is, people that are suggesting, "Let's just move today's games to another city if it looks like rain" are grossly underestimating the effort needed to do this. I apologize for letting reality and practicality get in the way of things.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 11:54 AM
There is no way they play anything today.

I am looking at CNN right now, Houston looks very calm with pretty much no wind and less rain then here.:scratch:

Why aren't the Cubs and Astros playing their games there tomorrow and Monday?

Leave the Milwaukee option avaialble for us.

I'm sure a last minute change for the sake of getting the game in will only draw a walkup of no more than 5,000 fans. What kind of last minute staffing will this require? At worst case, call the US Cellular employees and ask for volunteers (ticket takers, security, concessions) to get bussed north to Milwaukee.

Operating a stadium for 5,000 fans does not require 2 weeks notice.

Just get the damn games in.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:09 PM
There is no way they play anything today.

I am looking at CNN right now, Houston looks very calm with pretty much no wind and less rain then here.:scratch:

Leave the Milwaukee option avaialble for us.

I'm sure a last minute change for the sake of getting the game in will only draw a walkup of no more than 5,000 fans. What kind of last minute staffing will this require? At worst case, call the US Cellular employees and ask for volunteers (ticket takers, security, concessions) to get bussed north to Milwaukee.

Operating a stadium for 5,000 fans does not require 2 weeks notice.

Just get the damn games in.The Astros just had yesterday and today PPD, they said they were gonna try and get tomorrow in I would assume unless there was significant flooding or damage around the juice box.

If the Sox do play at Miller, I could see them doing a combination of bussing employees from USCF, volunteers for hours from Miller, and then Aramark filling in the gaps

anewman35
09-13-2008, 12:10 PM

They still might. But consider that 80 percent of Houston has no power, and there's lots of flooding and damage. They have a dome, rain was never the issue, it's the situation in the area.

whitesox901
09-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Some day I would love to attend a double header, too bad its not like in the old days where 1 ticket was for both games and it was pre-scheduled. Now I just gotta hope im in town when the night before was Rained out.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 12:15 PM
They still might. But consider that 80 percent of Houston has no power, and there's lots of flooding and damage. They have a dome, rain was never the issue, it's the situation in the area.

I realize sports is secondary, but at this point the Astros and Cubs should not be worried about having a packed stadium and instead just find a way to get the game in with a field which is playable. If I'm the Astros, I want the game played with a 1/2 full crowd in Houston rather than taking it up north to Milwaukee where the 5-10,000 who walk up for a seat will all be Cub fans.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Some day I would love to attend a double header, too bad its not like in the old days where 1 ticket was for both games and it was pre-scheduled. Now I just gotta hope im in town when the night before was Rained out.
A long time ago, I went to a straight doubleheader between the White Sox and Mariners at Comiskey, and the first game just ended when they announced a Severe Thunderstorm Warning and immediately cancelled the 2nd game, and we ended up getting stranded on Cicero Ave lol

DumpJerry
09-13-2008, 12:16 PM
Save your sarcasm. You think minimum wage concenssion workers are sitting there waiting by their phone for a call to come in on 8 hours notice?

These aren't doctors on call 48 straight hours. Workers make plans on thier off days. You'll get some to come in but you'll get many others who will say screw it.

The point is, people that are suggesting, "Let's just move today's games to another city if it looks like rain" are grossly underestimating the effort needed to do this. I apologize for letting reality and practicality get in the way of things.
I was not being sarcastic. I was serious. They had no trouble finding people to work the Indians' "home" games there last year at the last minute. Given that the economy is worse now than it was in April last year, should be even easier to get enough people to come in and make some money they otherwise were not planning on making.

Or maybe you work in stadium management and you really do know the challenge facing them.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:17 PM
I realize sports is secondary, but at this point the Astros and Cubs should not be worried about having a packed stadium and instead just find a way to get the game in with a field which is playable. If I'm the Astros, I want the game played with a 1/2 full crowd in Houston rather than taking it up north to Milwaukee where the 5-10,000 who walk up for a seat will all be Cub fans.
Power seems to be a main issue.

Most of southeast Texas is dark, with the exception of a couple downtown areas that have underground power lines.

delben91
09-13-2008, 12:17 PM

Well, if the stadium has no power, it's kind of a moot point isn't it?

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:18 PM
If they're gonna go to Miller, they need to start making plans like NOW.

Play 2 @ Miller tomorrow, and the 3rd the 29th.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
I was not being sarcastic. I was serious. They had no trouble finding people to work the Indians' "home" games there last year at the last minute. Given that the economy is worse now than it was in April last year, should be even easier to get enough people to come in and make some money they otherwise were not planning on making.

Or maybe you work in stadium management and you really do know the challenge facing them.

That's what I have been saying.

The Brewers are averaging almost 38,000 fans per game this year, they have the personnel on their database to cover a walk up crowd at the last minute of only 5,000.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 12:20 PM
Back to a steady pouring rain here in Willowbrook...

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:24 PM
That's what I have been saying.

The Brewers are averaging almost 38,000 fans per game this year, they have the personnel on their database to cover a walk up crowd at the last minute of only 5,000.
I went up there for Labor Day vs. the Mets, and their staff is top notch. I'll put that out there right now.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 12:25 PM
If they're gonna go to Miller, they need to start making plans like NOW.

Play 2 @ Miller tomorrow, and the 3rd the 29th.

Assuming no rain in Chicago on the 29th, you would play that one here if necessary.

Yesterday MLB, the Sox, the umps dropped the ball big time. With the all the technology available and the forecasts about rain all weekend, instead of making 30,000 + fans show up for nothing they should have called off the game by 2 PM and put the Milwaukee plan in place for today and tomorrow. Instead, they are just sitting back and waiting for a miracle.

As usual, Bud Selig and company has no plan in place for these kind of situations.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 12:29 PM

That's exactly what the Astros want. It's MLB that might force them to go somewhere else.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 12:31 PM
The Astros just had yesterday and today PPD, they said they were gonna try and get tomorrow in I would assume unless there was significant flooding or damage around the juice box.

If the Sox do play at Miller, I could see them doing a combination of bussing employees from USCF, volunteers for hours from Miller, and then Aramark filling in the gaps

Half full? A major hurricane just struck the city, many folks are still out of town and are being told not to return as they might not have water/power/etc., the stadium itself might not have power and they still haven't checked to see if the roof is fine, but yeah sure let's play a baseball game there tomorrow.

I thought I read that Miller Park was not available on Sunday, either, due to a charity event.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 12:35 PM
Half full? A major hurricane just struck the city, many folks are still out of town and are being told not to return as they might not have water/power/etc., the stadium itself might not have power and they still haven't checked to see if the roof is fine, but yeah sure let's play a baseball game there tomorrow.

I thought I read that Miller Park was not available on Sunday, either, due to a charity event.

That is just pure speculation by your part.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 12:38 PM

There will be no game in Houston tomorrow. Get real.

Harry Potter
09-13-2008, 12:39 PM
The main problem is this: How is the mayor "mean" Joe Groove going to make it all the way to Milwaukee in time for a game?

Or his challenger, "Mean" Joe Grube :redneck

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 12:41 PM

No, it's not. Per MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3467120&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb). Houston Chronicle says "virtually every home without power (http://www.chron.com/)." It doesn't have any effect on the Astros, but Reliant Stadium's roof is damaged (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5999358.html) and Monday night's game vs the Ravens is postponed.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:41 PM
Assuming no rain in Chicago on the 29th, you would play that one here if necessary.

Yesterday MLB, the Sox, the umps dropped the ball big time. With the all the technology available and the forecasts about rain all weekend, instead of making 30,000 + fans show up for nothing they should have called off the game by 2 PM and put the Milwaukee plan in place for today and tomorrow. Instead, they are just sitting back and waiting for a miracle.

As usual, Bud Selig and company has no plan in place for these kind of situations.
Major League Botch

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
No, it's not. Per MLB.com (http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3467120&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb). Houston Chronicle says "virtually every home without power (http://www.chron.com/)." It doesn't have any effect on the Astros, but Reliant Stadium's roof is damaged (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/front/5999358.html) and Monday night's game vs the Ravens is postponed.That benefits everyone that has NFL Sunday Ticket :o

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 12:45 PM

OK Dad.:rolleyes:

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 12:45 PM
That benefits everyone that has NFL Sunday Ticket :o

Or that wants to watch the Texans or Ravens play and they are not located in the Houston or Baltimore area.

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 12:46 PM
OK Dad.:rolleyes:

c u at the game!

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 12:47 PM
Or that wants to watch the Texans or Ravens play and they are not located in the Houston or Baltimore area.Exactly. If they played Monday night it would be blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

UofCSoxFan
09-13-2008, 01:04 PM
Exactly. If they played Monday night it would be blacked out on Sunday Ticket.

False. ESPN had waived the exclusivity rights for this despite originally saying the game would be blacked out. All moot now, but the game would have been shown on Direct TV for out of market fans.

Law11
09-13-2008, 01:06 PM
The simple fact is that they will have to make up at least 1 of these weekends games with the forecast tomorrow worse than todays with Ike hitting us there's no way they play 3 games in 2 days. it just aint happening.

So the question then becomes how do you get the game played.

alohafri
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM

I am watching Direct TV, Channel 361, which is running KHOU. They are saying it could be weeks before power is restored to parts of Houston. Some buildings in downtown Houston have suffered "significant" damage.

anewman35
09-13-2008, 01:08 PM
The simple fact is that they will have to make up at least 1 of these weekends games with the forecast tomorrow worse than todays with Ike hitting us there's no way they play 3 ames in the next 2 days. it just aint happening.

So the question then becomes how do you get the game played.

You play it the day after the season ends if the race is close enough to need it, and push the playoffs back a day if need be. It's happened before, it's not as huge a deal as people are making it out to be. Lucky for us, we wouldn't have to travel or anything.

#1swisher
09-13-2008, 01:09 PM
the score just reported that they will wait until 6pm before the call the game today

itsnotrequired
09-13-2008, 01:10 PM
the score just reported that they will wait until 6pm before the call the game today

They are going to wait until 6 to call a game at 3?

:D:

Law11
09-13-2008, 01:12 PM

6pm for the first game Im assuming.
This would obviously mean try to play 2 tomorrow which would be a miracle.

Then possibly play 2 at the end of the season if needed (which you would think it would be) Talk about screwing up your postseason pitching if it got to that point.

LoveYourSuit
09-13-2008, 01:24 PM
6pm for the first game Im assuming.
This would obviously mean try to play 2 tomorrow which would be a miracle.

Then possibly play 2 at the end of the season if needed (which you would think it would be) Talk about screwing up your postseason pitching if it got to that point.

Getting back to baseball talk, the Sox are the only ones to blame for this because of the fact that they have crapped themselves every time they had a chance to build a big lead over Min. Those games could have been meant nothing at the end of the year and no reason to make up.

The Cub situation is different because all of sudden the Astros find themselves in the WC race. Detroit on the other hand could care less if those games are played or not. They have had their winter bags packed for 2 months now.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 01:43 PM
At least Javy will get some much needed rest....again :o

Lip Man 1
09-13-2008, 01:53 PM
According to Bob Grim in a reply to my question, when a team is making their final trip into Chicago and weather becomes an issue, the decision to play or not is completely in the hands of the umpires. The Sox have no say in the matter.

Normally the Sox do, until the first pitch is thrown, then the decision belongs to the umpires.

Lip

alohafri
09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Both games cancelled per the Score. Split doubleheader tomorrow...allegedly.