PDA

View Full Version : Minor League Shakeup

Lip Man 1
09-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Not sure where this goes but a story in the newspaper today said the Sox have fired four of their minor league managers and that Bobby Thigpen the manager at another farm stop this season, is going to be made a pitching coach for one of them next year.

Obviously Buddy Bell and Kenny still aren't happy with the direction of the farm system (nor should they be...)

Lip

Jaffar
09-12-2008, 01:23 PM
That's great news Lip, thanks.

thedudeabides
09-12-2008, 01:29 PM
I'm really not surprised. Buddy Bell had time to get a handle on the situation, and it sounds like his recomendation to Kenny was as bad as some thought. This is a major house cleaning. Also, a bit under the radar, as it won't get a ton of press with the Sox battling in a pennant race.

Heffalump
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Not sure where this goes but a story in the newspaper today said the Sox have fired four of their minor league managers and that Bobby Thigpen the manager at another farm stop this season, is going to be made a pitching coach for one of them next year.

Obviously Buddy Bell and Kenny still aren't happy with the direction of the farm system (nor should they be...)

Lip

What paper Lip?

09-12-2008, 02:03 PM

Lip

Marc Bombard, a veteran minor league manager, is out at Charlotte, and both the Birmingham and Winston-Salem managers will not be asked back.

Thigpen was in his 2nd year as manager in Bristol after being brought back into the organization by Williams. Thigpen wasn't sure he would like managing, so I guess we have our answer. He should have potential as a pitching coach.

This is all about Buddy Bell putting in his own people, which is fine. Needless to say, the farm system is under scrutiny. I expect minor league coaching changes as well.

kobo
09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
This is all about Buddy Bell putting in his own people, which is fine. Needless to say, the farm system is under scrutiny. I expect minor league coaching changes as well.
I think it's more to do with changing the organization's philosophy than Buddy Bell putting in his own people.

09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
I think it's more to do with changing the organization's philosophy than Buddy Bell putting in his own people.

It's both actually.

turners56
09-12-2008, 03:59 PM

Lip

We need to be more like the Angels, A's, and dare I say, the Twins. Teach these players the fundamentals and teach them the SAME THING. If our rookie ball coaches are telling players one thing, and our A coaches are telling players another, what in the world are they going to do? Do a fusion of both? We need to get everybody on the same page and teach them to do the right thing. Our manager lived off of fundamentals, but our team usually fails to get any kind of bunt down. How ironic is that? I understand our need for power hitters due to our park, but power hitters alone can't accomplish everything.

Daver
09-12-2008, 04:12 PM
It's about damn time.

Lundind1
09-12-2008, 04:39 PM
I had a feeling that when Buddy Bell signed on with the Sox that this was exactly the reason why. With all the things that went on this year with the foreign scouts getting canned because of (correct me if I am wrong) bribery and all but one the minor league teams having sub .500 seasons, this is a move that was coming. These things along with having been graded one of the worst minor league systems in all of baseball is just too much for either Buddy of Kenny to take.