PDA

View Full Version : Can Toronto pull it off?

Fenway
09-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Looks like the Blue Jays will be 6.5 out of the Wild Card going into Boston where they play four this weekend. ( and then play Boston 3 more in Toronto next weekend )

It seems like an impossible task to catch Boston but right now they are playing the best baseball of anybody in MLB.

They scare me.

btrain929
09-11-2008, 09:42 PM
No.

Impressive run, but too little, too late.

Fenway
09-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Maybe I put a hex on them as White Sox come roaring back in the 8th.

sox1970
09-11-2008, 09:46 PM
No way. I'm glad the White Sox are done with them. If they hang on tonight, they went a combined 13-1 against the Sox and Twins. Yikes.

hellview
09-11-2008, 10:12 PM
I would love nothing more then to see Boston and NYY outta the postseason but I don't see it happening.

No way. I'm glad the White Sox are done with them. If they hang on tonight, they went a combined 13-1 against the Sox and Twins. Yikes.

Just goes to show how flawed the Sox and Twins are. The AL Central is not a good division this season.

Fenway
09-11-2008, 10:22 PM
I just have a bad feeling about this weekend at Fenway as Toronto always plays well there. I remember 1987 when the Jays had the East locked up only to have Detroit catch them at the end.

CubKilla
09-11-2008, 10:52 PM

That's what you call ownage

Foulke You
09-12-2008, 01:19 AM
they are playing the best baseball of anybody in MLB.

They scare me.
I don't think anyone in the AL hunt wants to face the Jays right now. They are clicking on all cylinders and it wouldn't surprise me if they continued their winning ways in Fenway this weekend. However, the Red Sox are in better shape than the White Sox right now and are hitting the ball better. It should be an interesting series to watch. Honestly, with that pitching staff the Jays have, I'm surprised it has taken this long for them to get going. Perhaps all they needed to do was cut loose Gibbons and get a real manager.

LoveYourSuit
09-12-2008, 01:41 AM
They went 6-1 vs the "best" of the AL Central.

1. Either the Twins and Sox suck or
2. The Blue Jays are great.

I think I will go half way on those two.

scarsofthumper
09-12-2008, 03:00 AM
How awesome would it be if the AL playoffs were the White Sox, Angels, Rays and Blue Jays.

CleeFan101
09-12-2008, 05:31 AM
I think its too late but if they take 3 of 4 maybe things get a little interesting. The Redsox have a real tough end of schedule so if Toronto wins the games vs them they have a legit shot.

It definitely would be very awesome to have a RedSox/Yankeeless playoffs.

Hitmen77
09-12-2008, 06:50 AM
How awesome would it be if the AL playoffs were the White Sox, Angels, Rays and Blue Jays.

If the Sox have to face the Blue Jays at all, I think it would be terrible news.

Heffalump
09-12-2008, 09:23 AM
I hope so. I like Toronto's young team and it would be great to see BOston and the Yanks both miss the playoffs.

Mohoney
09-12-2008, 09:29 AM
The Blue Jays would need a 4 game sweep. If they get it, watch out.

eriqjaffe
09-12-2008, 11:20 AM
How awesome would it be if the AL playoffs were the White Sox ... and Blue Jays.What part of "13-1 against the Sox and Twins" did you miss? ;)

Fenway
09-12-2008, 11:28 AM
The Blue Jays would need a 4 game sweep. If they get it, watch out.

It is fortunate for Boston that they had a day off after the Tampa series. They were stunned by what happened Tuesday night and then the knockout punch on Wednesday. They never thought they would lose 2 at Fenway to the Rays.

Boston needs to win tonight to take some of the pressure off.

Both Sox teams would love to see Baltimore sweep the Twins in Baltimore.

Boston fans also will be cheering for the Yankees this weekend as they play Tampa.

Chisox353014
09-12-2008, 12:57 PM
Looks like the Blue Jays will be 6.5 out of the Wild Card going into Boston where they play four this weekend. ( and then play Boston 3 more in Toronto next weekend )

It seems like an impossible task to catch Boston but right now they are playing the best baseball of anybody in MLB.

They scare me.

Don't think so. Even if they were to win all 7 remaining games against Boston, that still only puts them a half game up. If they somehow sweep these next four, it will get a lot more interesting however.

palehozenychicty
09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I don't think anyone in the AL hunt wants to face the Jays right now. They are clicking on all cylinders and it wouldn't surprise me if they continued their winning ways in Fenway this weekend. However, the Red Sox are in better shape than the White Sox right now and are hitting the ball better. It should be an interesting series to watch. Honestly, with that pitching staff the Jays have, I'm surprised it has taken this long for them to get going. Perhaps all they needed to do was cut loose Gibbons and get a real manager.

Bingo. I couldn't believe that Gibbons kept his job for as long as he did. He was a joke.

Ricciardi is awful as well.

I don't know if they have enough time, but if they beat up on Boston, then look out. :o:

GAsoxfan
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
If they can take six out of seven from Boston, it's definitely possible. That would put Toronto 1.5 GB and Boston's remaining schedule is a lot more difficult than Toronto's. They both get the Yankees at home for three, but while Boston plays 3 at Tampa and 4 at home against Cleveland, Toronto gets six games with Baltimore (3 at home/3 on the road).

SBSoxFan
09-13-2008, 05:50 AM
Don't think so. Even if they were to win all 7 remaining games against Boston, that still only puts them a half game up. If they somehow sweep these next four, it will get a lot more interesting however.

Well, so much for that idea. Boston, the only team to play in the rain, won 7 - 0.

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
They went 6-1 vs the "best" of the AL Central.

1. Either the Twins and Sox suck or
2. The Blue Jays are great.

I think I will go half way on those two.

Even you amended 1. to include "over the last 10-12 games", then I'd have to say 70% on 1., and 30% on 2.

After seeing what the Rockies did to make the post-season last year, I am reluctant to say anything is impossible...

SMO
:gulp:

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 08:20 PM
If they hang on at Fenway tonight, they'll be just 5.5 games back of Boston.

SBSoxFan
09-13-2008, 08:30 PM
If they hang on at Fenway tonight, they'll be just 5.5 games back of Boston.

Why are they playing a double header? I thought they were scheduled for a 4 game series. But is one a make up game?

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 08:38 PM
Why are they playing a double header? I thought they were scheduled for a 4 game series. But is one a make up game?

Must be a make up from earlier the year.

Fenway
09-14-2008, 12:04 AM
Must be a make up from earlier the year.

The afternoon game was the makeup and was scheduled for 12:35 Eastern to exempt the game from the FOX blackout window which is from 1 to 7 Eastern.

Boston by winning the second game pretty much slams the door on Toronto. The Twins and White Sox still have an outside chance to catch Boston who won the coin flips for the WC and the division.