PDA

View Full Version : It's Been A Wild Year

WisSoxFan
09-11-2008, 06:27 PM
Someone wrote in a post-game thread following one of the losses to Tornoto that he/she sometimes hated this team or words to that affect. I understand the sentiment. Anyone who has been watching all season sees a team that is flawed in so many ways. We're poor at advancing runners, we're slow, we're a below average fielding team, our bullpen has been hot and cold and sometims downright frightening. There isn't much question that we are fundamentally flawed. Yet you keep watching and you see a lot of true professionals. Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Jim Thome, AJ, Mark Buehrle, Nick Swisher, Bobby Jenks (who may be the most underappreciated player in MLB), and Jaun Uribe to name a few. Players that compete for every out and, at least from afar, put the team above themselves.

You watch Ozzie do seemingly crazy things. Pinch running for both Dye and Thome on Tuesday night down five in the eight when simple math tells you that if the Sox are going to win both of those guys will have to hit again (5 outs plus 5 runs equals at least 10 batters). And then in a seemingly meaningless game in June in San Francisco I watch him put a struggling Wasserman in right after taking a 2-0 lead in the top of the 7th and want to pull my hair out. Then I think for a second and realize that a switch hitter and a lefty are the next two hitters and Ozzie is making a great move. He's allowing Wasserman to face one hitter. If he got on the game was still in our control with Logan or Thornton (I don't recall which) coming in to face the next two and if Wasserman gets the hitter out he gets to have Ozzie pat him on the ass and get high fives as he walks into the dugout. The latter happened. So you're amazed by what seems a simple move yet is a brilliant managerial and team oriented decision.

So here we sit with some 2 1/2 weeks of the season to go and on top of the Central. Sometimes you wonder how this ever happened and sometimes you wonder if anyone can beat them. I have no basis for my belief - a hope in the unseen if you will - but I am sure the Sox are going to win the Central in 2008. I can't wait for tonight's game even though I'm sure at some point I'm going to want to poke my eyes out with a sharp knife at something that happens.

Having written all that I say Why Not the White Sox in 2008. Who's with me?

doublem23
09-11-2008, 06:31 PM
Regardless of the outcome, it's been a good year. After last year's debacle, the fact that it's September 11 and the Sox are still playing meaningful games is a breath of fresh air. Obviously, it will be a whole lot nicer if they can hang on and win the division and make a run in the post-season, but this is baseball and successes and failures, IMO, aren't solely defined by what happens in October. They've been fun to watch all season, whether they're cruising to an easy win or battling their own flaws...

That said, let's win the whole ****ing thing.

Marqhead
09-11-2008, 06:35 PM
:gulp:

Frontman
09-11-2008, 09:28 PM
I've said it since early August. The Sox, after last year's fiasco, have rebounded quite well. For a "4th place at best" team, they've proven that they are better than advertised by the talking headed idiots.

If they don't make the playoffs; sure it will be disappointing, but its not (as some moron who graces the airwaves 2-6 on 670am would say) "a failure." That type of mentality means 99.9999998% of the time, you're a moron for following sports. It means that one game is the only game to care about, and that's the final game of the World Series. That, to me; is a failure to enjoy what makes sports great.

To me, a failure of a season was like last season, when 1/3 to 1/2 of the games didn't matter anymore. That's a failure.

This season has been a wonderful rollercoaster of some great moments. When its all over, I'll write my summary like I did last year and the year before that. But, I have a feeling the story is not quite done. I will say one aspect of the White Sox that has impressed me, though.

This team has scrapped through some hiccups, and have dealt with some injuries. Ozzie all the while has kept this team together. The one who amazed me with it has been Ozzie, as I figured he was going to quit after last season.

While I'm not about to put him on Ron Gardenhire level of managing with nothing, Ozzie has put the right players in most of the time. Is he perfect? No.

But he, along with the 25 men who have worn the Sox uniform this season made it worth watching.

guillensdisciple
09-11-2008, 09:56 PM
I've said it since early August. The Sox, after last year's fiasco, have rebounded quite well. For a "4th place at best" team, they've proven that they are better than advertised by the talking headed idiots.

If they don't make the playoffs; sure it will be disappointing, but its not (as some moron who graces the airwaves 2-6 on 670am would say) "a failure." That type of mentality means 99.9999998% of the time, you're a moron for following sports. It means that one game is the only game to care about, and that's the final game of the World Series. That, to me; is a failure to enjoy what makes sports great.

To me, a failure of a season was like last season, when 1/3 to 1/2 of the games didn't matter anymore. That's a failure.

This season has been a wonderful rollercoaster of some great moments. When its all over, I'll write my summary like I did last year and the year before that. But, I have a feeling the story is not quite done. I will say one aspect of the White Sox that has impressed me, though.

This team has scrapped through some hiccups, and have dealt with some injuries. Ozzie all the while has kept this team together. The one who amazed me with it has been Ozzie, as I figured he was going to quit after last season.

While I'm not about to put him on Ron Gardenhire level of managing with nothing, Ozzie has put the right players in most of the time. Is he perfect? No.

But he, along with the 25 men who have worn the Sox uniform this season made it worth watching.

No other coach could do what Ozzie has done with this team. I think Ozzie naturally sparks the people that he manages and the players have way too much respect to give up on him as he does to give up on them.

Go Sox!! Never stop fighting!!

esbrechtel
09-11-2008, 10:45 PM
This season has made me somewhat optimistic for the future. I know at first glance this looks like an aging team but....look at our pitching staff Danks and Floyd are very young Buehrle is about in his prime we have gotten younger in the middle infield (Alexei and Getz) and in parts of the outfield (Quentin) this team is not too many pieces away from being a real contender going in to next season...that being said hopefully it is for a repeat :D:

hawkjt
09-11-2008, 10:51 PM
I honestly think that this team wins the division without Jose,PK,TCQ ,Crede and Linebrink going down. Now, I realize that everyone has injuries but cuddyar and castillas are not equal to our losses.

Ozzie has put us in position in 04,05,06,and 08 to compete into September. If Frank and Maggs do not go down, 04 could have been the year.
Ozzie is getting ripped tonite but I do not buy it. He has a injury-depleted and bullpen pitching depleted team right now and those are two facts you simply cannot manage around.
I do not care what anyone else says...I like Ozzie and I think he is a good manager overall.

oeo
09-12-2008, 09:10 AM

I have to disagree with this. The Sox are going to end up around where I thought they would (85-90 wins). Thanks to the weak division, that may be enough to reach the playoffs. We've lead the division for most of the year, so if we don't make it, I will certainly consider it a failure.

It's been a weird year to say the least, and I'll take this season 10 times out of 10 over last, but you have to finish. There is no reason the Twins should sneak into the playoffs. Even with our flaws, we've shown over the past two months that we are the better team...if not, the Twins would have had a lead bigger than a .5 game by now.

Iwritecode
09-12-2008, 09:43 AM
Even with our flaws, we've shown over the past two months that we are the better team...if not, the Twins would have had a lead bigger than a .5 game by now.

The Twins are a game back... :scratch:

whitesox901
09-12-2008, 01:55 PM
Im enjoying this year very much. Even if the Sox dont make the play-off's I can still tell the locals, epecially after all the hype the Local Media was giving Cleveland and Detroit, to finnish 1-2 and for Detroit to win the world series, I ask them "How did the Tigers/Indains finnish this year? And how'd my White Sox do??????" :happyguy:

Then if they actually win the whole dadgum thing I can be all like.
:wooty::irule:

White City
09-12-2008, 03:19 PM
The Twins are a game back... :scratch:

I think the meaning was: If they were better than us, they would have managed better than a half-game lead at some point. But they trail us constantly, and then can't hold on to the lead when they get it.