PDA

View Full Version : "Heavy" Stat

Lip Man 1
09-11-2008, 04:32 PM
According to this weeks Sports Illustrated, (Brett Farve on cover, pg. 32) the White Sox are the heaviest team in MLB averaging 226.6 pounds per player.

Texas is second at 217, Arizona 3rd at 215.8

The lightest team in baseball?

The A's at 200.2

If the reports are to be believed that "stat" is about to change big-time this off season as the front office is apparently determined to finally get themselves a running game.

Lip

delben91
09-11-2008, 04:35 PM
Damn you Bobby Jenks!!! :redneck

hi im skot
09-11-2008, 04:37 PM
http://www.blogajuda.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/marty-mcfly.jpg

"This is heavy, Doc."

seventyseven
09-11-2008, 04:38 PM
"Heavy. Why all this talk of heavy? In the future is there something wrong with the Earth's gravitational pull?"

DumpJerry
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
This is with Alexei on the roster?

Do they think we still have Luzinski?

FedEx227
09-11-2008, 04:42 PM
Stats are meaningless and have no basis in reality.

BleacherBandit
09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Maybe being lighter has a correlation will being mediocre.

I wonder where the Mariners rank.....

kittle42
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM

:)

Daver
09-11-2008, 04:48 PM

It's true for a good chunk of them.

kjhanson
09-11-2008, 04:54 PM

Reality is relativity; stats measure relativity.

btrain929
09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
According to this weeks Sports Illustrated, (Brett Farve on cover, pg. 32) the White Sox are the heaviest team in MLB averaging 226.6 pounds per player.

The A's at 200.2

If the reports are to be believed that "stat" is about to change big-time this off season as the front office is apparently determined to finally get themselves a running game.

Lip

I'm sure that heaviness plays a decent sized role in why we lead the majors in HR's hit.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 05:20 PM
Weight doesn't really qualify as a stat. :scratch:

jdm2662
09-11-2008, 05:32 PM
"Weight has nothing to do with it!"

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
:moron

"In a society where Britney Spears, in all her sequined glory, is folded back into the bisexual kisses of Madonna during the MTV awards, along come the plodding White Sox. In their concrete ballmall, their overweight owner, his ne-er do well, bury your head in the sand during a recruiting scandal GM, and his foul mouth homophobe field general drag the heaviest team in baseball onto the field.

The Kids Can Play. Obviously, they can eat too."

PennStater98r
09-11-2008, 06:25 PM
http://www.blogajuda.com.br/wp-content/uploads/2006/12/marty-mcfly.jpg

"What the hell's a gigawatt?"

I thought he said the above - and the answer is - a really big Watt...

BleacherBandit
09-11-2008, 07:46 PM
:moron

"In a society where Britney Spears, in all her sequined glory, is folded back into the bisexual kisses of Madonna during the MTV awards, along come the plodding White Sox. In their concrete ballmall, their overweight owner, his ne-er do well, bury your head in the sand during a recruiting scandal GM, and his foul mouth homophobe field general drag the heaviest team in baseball onto the field.

The Kids Can Play. Obviously, they can eat too."

He's just bitter that nobody on this world appreciates a thing he does. He needs to watch his weight too. I'd like to see TCQ jack Mariotti in the face for calling him fat.

getonbckthr
09-11-2008, 09:54 PM
Alexei and Jenks balance each other out.

itsnotrequired
09-11-2008, 11:51 PM
i'm gaining 20 lbs for the postseason so all is well

WhiteSox5187
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM

The A's at 200.2

Lip
I find this to be the most interesting part of this post but no one has picked up on it. What have you heard Lip? I haven't been reading the paper too closely of late, but I don't recall reading anything where Kenny or anyone else was saying they were going to go for more speed this year.

Shoeless_Jeff
09-12-2008, 12:57 AM
Was this figured out before or after the Brewers traded for Sabathia? I mean with him and Fielder on the same team.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/c_c_sabathia_prince_fielder_keep

soxfan43
09-12-2008, 11:25 AM

The A's at 200.2

Lip

Lip, I saw that as well. Did you notice the bottom 5? Pretty much the worst teams in the league, kind of interesting. they also called out bobby and AJ for being the "heavy" guys, I thought AJ looks a lot slimmer this year, so maybe this numbers were done based off older weight numbers.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2008, 12:36 PM
5187:

Newspaper reports as far back as June started mentioning the names of Chone Figgins and Orlando Hudson as the primary off season targets.

Mark Gonzales of the Tribune, a guy who generally does not write in absolutes, earlier this week wrote that "speed would be addressed this off season" in his mailbag.

I spoke with a source earlier this week who confirmed that Hudson has been on Kenny's radar for the past few years and we all know that sooner or later Kenny gets that guy. "Kenny really likes him..." they said.

They told me that Figgins was NOT a free agent but is expected to be traded to the Sox by the Angels after they sign Joe Crede. (This source told me that both times the Sox were in Anaheim this season, Scott Boras met with the Angels and got news back to Joe. The Sox would like to press tampering charges on Boras and are looking for evidence that they can take to MLB.)

I was told though that Figgins come with a lot of baggage. He is not liked at all by his team mates and members of the Angels organization. The only guy who remains in his corner is Mike Scioscia. Apparently he is selfish. The Sox must think Ozzie can reach him.

Based on all of those comments I drew my conclusion.

Lip

oeo
09-12-2008, 12:41 PM
5187:

Newspaper reports as far back as June started mentioning the names of Chone Figgins and Orlando Hudson as the primary off season targets.

Mark Gonzales of the Tribune, a guy who generally does not write in absolutes, earlier this week wrote that "speed would be addressed this off season" in his mailbag.

I spoke with a source earlier this week who confirmed that Hudson has been on Kenny's radar for the past few years and we all know that sooner or later Kenny gets that guy. "Kenny really likes him..." they said.

They told me that Figgins was NOT a free agent but is expected to be traded to the Sox by the Angels after they sign Joe Crede. (This source told me that both times the Sox were in Anaheim this season, Scott Boras met with the Angels and got news back to Joe. The Sox would like to press tampering charges on Boras and are looking for evidence that they can take to MLB.)

I was told though that Figgins come with a lot of baggage. He is not liked at all by his team mates and members of the Angels organization. The only guy who remains in his corner is Mike Scioscia. Apparently he is selfish. The Sox must think Ozzie can reach him.

Based on all of those comments I drew my conclusion.

Lip

Any interest in signing Crede is probably gone now.

Lip Man 1
09-12-2008, 12:42 PM
OEO:

For what it's worth I asked my contact about this and they said no the Angels are still apparently interested.

Seems strange but the Angels must know what they are doing, they are the model franchise for MLB this decade.

Lip

champagne030
09-12-2008, 12:43 PM
Alexei and Jenks balance each other out.

Who balances out Tuby?

oeo
09-12-2008, 12:45 PM
OEO:

For what it's worth I asked my contact about this and they said no the Angels are still apparently interested.

Seems strange but the Angels must know what they are doing, they are the model franchise for MLB this decade.

Lip

Back issues, has surgery, still has back issues. Think they're just going to go away?

The Angels are a good organization, but they've also made their fair share of mistakes. Most recent being Gary Matthews Jr., and in another couple years will probably Torii Hunter. So I guess it's not that far out of the realm of possibility.

all*star quentin
09-12-2008, 01:14 PM
I find this to be the most interesting part of this post but no one has picked up on it. What have you heard Lip? I haven't been reading the paper too closely of late, but I don't recall reading anything where Kenny or anyone else was saying they were going to go for more speed this year.
Ozzie in yesterday's pregame on csn said about playing Owens..."that I(ozzie) love speed"