PDA

View Full Version : Bad News


THE_HOOTER
05-14-2002, 11:57 PM
I heard from a source tonight that Magglio is out for 8 weeks with a bruised kidney.

Ouch, but we will recover. :whiner:

MattSharp
05-15-2002, 12:05 AM
Are you freakin serious?!??! This is a huge blow!!!! Thomas can't hit his way out of a paper bag and we just lost our best hitter? Man our pitching needs all those runs. I think we are in major trouble. Even more trouble than the Red Sox who lost Manny this week......

Chisox_cali
05-15-2002, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I heard from a source tonight that Magglio is out for 8 weeks with a bruised kidney.

Ouch, but we will recover. :whiner:

Ah ****!

voodoochile
05-15-2002, 12:20 AM
Get well soon, Maggs...

GASHWOUND
05-15-2002, 12:26 AM
Originally posted by MattSharp
Are you freakin serious?!??! This is a huge blow!!!! Thomas can't hit his way out of a paper bag and we just lost our best hitter? Man our pitching needs all those runs. I think we are in major trouble. Even more trouble than the Red Sox who lost Manny this week......

Calm down, we have a deep line-up and can get bye. And hey, Frank 2 hits today, maybe he's starting to get hot.
I haven't heard anything yet on the radio about maggs being outfor 8 weeks though, but if he is we will survive.

Pete_SSAC
05-15-2002, 12:52 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Calm down, we have a deep line-up and can get bye. And hey, Frank 2 hits today, maybe he's starting to get hot.
I haven't heard anything yet on the radio about maggs being outfor 8 weeks though, but if he is we will survive.

:LTP
You Rang?

BearSox
05-15-2002, 01:01 AM
Has Borchard recovered from his spring training injury?

GASHWOUND
05-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I heard from a source tonight that Magglio is out for 8 weeks with a bruised kidney.

Ouch, but we will recover. :whiner:

Just curious, who is this "source" that said Maggs will be out for 8 weeks anyway?

voodoochile
05-15-2002, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by BearSox
Has Borchard recovered from his spring training injury?

Don't know, but it is the wrong call anyway...

Platoon Rowand and Leifer and bring up Valenzuela to sit on the bench. Borchard should stay in AAA until he is fully recovered and really finds his stroke...

GASHWOUND
05-15-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by BearSox
Has Borchard recovered from his spring training injury?

I think so, I'm pretty sure he has been in the line up the last few eeks if I'm not mistaken(which I'm probably am)

GASHWOUND
05-15-2002, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by voodoochile


Don't know, but it is the wrong call anyway...

Platoon Rowand and Leifer and bring up Valenzuela to sit on the bench. Borchard should stay in AAA until he is fully recovered and really finds his stroke...

Yep, yep, and...yep...That's exactly what you do, we have two pretty good outfielders in Leif and Rownad right now...that's why I'm not crying a river right now. We're pretty deep in the OF positions right now.

chisoxfanatic
05-15-2002, 01:11 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Just curious, who is this "source" that said Maggs will be out for 8 weeks anyway?

It has to be the National Enquirer or something, because Dave Wills would've said something about it! I wouldn't put much into this "news".

Heather the Redbird

GASHWOUND
05-15-2002, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by chisoxfanatic


It has to be the National Enquirer or something, because Dave Wills would've said something about it! I wouldn't put much into this "news".

Heather the Redbird

Yeah, I'm listening to the radio and nothing has been said. Shuster(p) is suppose to go on with Tommy at like 2:00 this morning and he was at the game..maybe he'll have some info.
The only thing I heard about Maggs kidney was Sully mentioned in one of the articles at the Cubune, I think JM mentioned something about his kidney

CLR01
05-15-2002, 01:42 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


Yeah, I'm listening to the radio and nothing has been said. Shuster(p) is suppose to go on with Tommy at like 2:00 this morning and he was at the game..maybe he'll have some info.
The only thing I heard about Maggs kidney was Sully mentioned in one of the articles at the Cubune, I think JM mentioned something about his kidney


this???


Asked what was being checked out, Manuel said "Just his back area, around the kidney and that type of thing."

CLR01
05-15-2002, 01:47 AM
Originally posted by GASHWOUND


I think so, I'm pretty sure he has been in the line up the last few eeks if I'm not mistaken(which I'm probably am)


I think he has been back since the 25th. He did play tonight and he hit his 5th home run of the season. Crede also went deep.

CerberusWG
05-15-2002, 07:00 AM
God, I'd love to see LTP.

Viva Magglio
05-15-2002, 07:31 AM
I'm not a doctor nor do I play one on TV, but 8 weeks sounds like a long time. If it's that long, Mágglio would be out until after the All Star Break, and he would miss both Cubs series. This would obviously mean his streak of All Star Game appearances would come to an end. Of all the players on the planet, yet alone the Sox, why does Mágglio have to be the one to have to go through this? :whiner: :whiner:

raul12
05-15-2002, 09:16 AM
just a thought--what about moving manos to right, and bringing crede up? i think i'd cringe with both lee and manos in the outfield, but....dang i'd like to see crede get a shot.

Chisox353014
05-15-2002, 09:21 AM
What is the source for this? Nobody's reported anything yet other than Maggs went in for tests. I'll wait until I hear something official before I start worrying.

RedPinStripes
05-15-2002, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by raul12
just a thought--what about moving manos to right, and bringing crede up? i think i'd cringe with both lee and manos in the outfield, but....dang i'd like to see crede get a shot.

I want Crede up here, but no way in hell do i want Manos in RF.

Randar68
05-15-2002, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by CLR01



I think he has been back since the 25th. He did play tonight and he hit his 5th home run of the season. Crede also went deep.

Joe is finding his stroke already. He had a really slow start but has come on strong. I am all for keeping Rowand and Lief in there for a couple weeks, but 8 weeks? Valenzuela or Borchard would both be better long-term answers and each is more suited for RF play.

Oh yeah, and after 10:00 am in chicago and neither ESPN nor the Score has said anything but he went in for tests and no results yet.

Relax guys, idle speculation thus far...

hold2dibber
05-15-2002, 10:44 AM
If this is true, I will be devastated. Maggs traditionally doesn't heat up until the weather warms up, but he's already going like gang busters this year. If healthy, I expect him to put up career-year numbers this season.

If he is out that long, our ability to deal for another starter will be significantly curtailed - I always assumed that our surplus of OF talent would be a means to deal for another starter. With Maggs out, our depth in the OF takes a huge hit. I say bring back Canseco! (I think I'm just kidding). I agree that Rowand and Liefer should platoon out there if Maggs is out, unless or until the scouts and coaches think LTP is ready.

Good Lord, I hope this is a false rumor. How the heck would he have hurt his kidney, anyway? Can I just give him mine?

Moses_Scurry
05-15-2002, 10:45 AM
All I know is that he didn't look very good last night. Struck out twice against a guy that couldn't get anyone out. Hopefully he just needs a week or so.

bc2k
05-15-2002, 10:54 AM
This hurts. And of course this happens when Maggs is on a roll (AL player of the week) as well as the team (1/2 game behind Minnesota) and right after Canseco retires.

I like Rowand, but I want power for power. Canseco time! We need him to protect Paulie because we know Frank cannot.

I think it is time for Lee to go on an 8 week long hot streak. Paulie and Carlos, carry the team.

Randar68
05-15-2002, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bc2k
This hurts. And of course this happens when Maggs is on a roll (AL player of the week) as well as the team (1/2 game behind Minnesota) and right after Canseco retires.

I like Rowand, but I want power for power. Canseco time! We need him to protect Paulie because we know Frank cannot.

I think it is time for Lee to go on an 8 week long hot streak. Paulie and Carlos, carry the team.

RELAX, THERE HAS BEEN NO ANNOUNCEMENT AS TO THE ACTUAL INJURY!!!!!!!!!!

Unregistered
05-15-2002, 11:08 AM
Originally posted by Randar68
RELAX, THERE HAS BEEN NO ANNOUNCEMENT AS TO THE ACTUAL INJURY!!!!!!!!!!
Seriously, guys. Not ONE media outlet has said anything even close to "Magglio Ordonez out for 8 weeks". And I assure you, if this rumor had ANY kind of truth to it and anyone got wind of it, it would be EVERYWHERE. The guy who many sports writers around the country predicted would be the AL MVP isn't gonna go down for 2 months and it somehow slips under the radar...

alohafri
05-15-2002, 12:36 PM
8 weeks seems like an awful long time for a bruised kidney.
:iron McMahon finished the game with a lacerated kidney and Maggs is just as tough.

Viva Magglio
05-15-2002, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by Unregistered

Seriously, guys. Not ONE media outlet has said anything even close to "Magglio Ordonez out for 8 weeks". And I assure you, if this rumor had ANY kind of truth to it and anyone got wind of it, it would be EVERYWHERE. The guy who many sports writers around the country predicted would be the AL MVP isn't gonna go down for 2 months and it somehow slips under the radar...

But Magglio is so overlooked by the local media that he could have terminal cancer and they would not care to report it.

FarWestChicago
05-15-2002, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by THE_HOOTER
I heard from a source tonight that Magglio is out for 8 weeks with a bruised kidney.

Ouch, but we will recover. :whiner: Ridiculous, hysterical:

:spam

pearso66
05-15-2002, 04:29 PM
well, i checked 4 websites, and couldnt find a word on if magglio is out for any time, they said they werent sure if he'd play today, so who knows
the news is on now, so i'll watch for sports and see if they say anything

i did find that durham has a hand injury that has been bothering him for 2 weeks, so that could be why he was moved down in the lineup

RadioHead PH
05-15-2002, 04:48 PM
COMPLETELY UNTRUE!

I was listening to the score, and they said all tests were NEGATIVE. He is listed as day-to-day.

Don't freak people out like that...:-)

CLR01
05-15-2002, 10:59 PM
Time to find a new "source".

bjmarte
05-16-2002, 12:42 AM
Last time I believe the stuff written on the wall above the urinal. By the way, anyone looking for a good time? I have a phone number for you.