PDA

View Full Version : Play Injured Paulie or Add Speed?

infohawk
09-11-2008, 09:25 AM
I'm a Konerko fan, but his injury situation, assuming he can play, seems to raise a dilemma. Should the Sox play him even though his knee won't be 100%, or should they put a little more speed in the lineup? I'm more concerned about Paul's ability to play defense with the injury, but am also taking into consideration that an already slow player just got slower. Do you guys think the Sox might be better off using more of Anderson, Owens and Wise (and the running game) while using Paul as a pinch hitter if, in fact, his knee might affect his defense?

voodoochile
09-11-2008, 09:31 AM
If PK and Herm say he is fit to play, he plays.

That hasn't changed since day one of the season.

CWSpalehoseCWS
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
He's been so hot as of late, we need to play him. If he was still hovering above .200, then maybe a change would be needed.

kevingrt
09-11-2008, 09:41 AM
He's been so hot as of late, we need to play him. If he was still hovering above .200, then maybe a change would be needed.

Completely agree. He has been one of our top two hitters in September and having that bat in the line up would be a big help even though he cannot run. We need PK. Hopefully he will be back by the start of next week.

Madvora
09-11-2008, 09:55 AM
They should reserve Konerko for Kirk Gibson type moments.

munchman33
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
If PK and Herm say he is fit to play, he plays.

That hasn't changed since day one of the season.

That's kind of what I'm worried about. Apparently he's been "fit" enough to play all year.

esbrechtel
09-11-2008, 10:27 AM
They should reserve Konerko for Kirk Gibson type moments.

Ha, I was thinking the same thing!

Tragg
09-11-2008, 11:46 AM
Konerko's skills at bunting are deteriorating. I say play Jerry Owens.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 12:22 PM
Konerko's skills at bunting are deteriorating. I say play Jerry Owens.

Excellent post! :)

This thread blows.

jabrch
09-11-2008, 12:28 PM
PK is one of the few players in the game who is no slower with a sprained MCL than without it. So who the hell cares? As long as he is healthy enough to hit, he should be playing.

TomBradley72
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
The real question is does Swisher have a spot based on his .204 average (16th on the team) since the All Star break. Including 48 K's (leads the team..a few more than Thome..by comparison the 3rd highest, Dye, has 30) to go with his .312 OBP (8th on the team for "Mr. OBP").

After his mediocre 1st half...he's actually declined instead of bouncing back.

Domeshot17
09-11-2008, 12:50 PM
Well, I don't advocate him playing through a bad sprain, because you can tear it. However he doesn't need to be 100%.

Here is a wild idea that I don't love but if you want speed, Bench Swish! I love the guy but he has been the true black hole this year, not PK.

That said, I think you have to play a Combo of Swish/PK/BA, because Owens is ineligible to be a playoff roster, so what good does it do to have him maybe get hot and let Swish or PK or BA rot on the bench and then have them come in cold in the playoffs. As much as the true Goal is to make it, you want everyone firing on all cylinders when you get there, because really, what good is making it if you get there for a 3 game sweep?

TomBradley72
09-11-2008, 12:54 PM
Well, I don't advocate him playing through a bad sprain, because you can tear it. However he doesn't need to be 100%.

Here is a wild idea that I don't love but if you want speed, Bench Swish! I love the guy but he has been the true black hole this year, not PK.

That said, I think you have to play a Combo of Swish/PK/BA, because Owens is ineligible to be a playoff roster, so what good does it do to have him maybe get hot and let Swish or PK or BA rot on the bench and then have them come in cold in the playoffs. As much as the true Goal is to make it, you want everyone firing on all cylinders when you get there, because really, what good is making it if you get there for a 3 game sweep?

Not advocating alot of playing time for Owens...but we're hanging on by a thread...can't worry about anything else but winning vs. setting ourselves up for the post seaon.

Besides...couldn't he probably take TCQ's slot on the post season roster?

Domeshot17
09-11-2008, 12:57 PM
Not advocating alot of playing time for Owens...but we're hanging on by a thread...can't worry about anything else but winning vs. setting ourselves up for the post seaon.

IIRC No he can not. You have to be on the 25 man roster prior to september 1 at some point in order to be eligible (although there was a whole entire thing about Krod with the angels years ago).

EDIT: Apparently its a very touchy rule. The rule is a guy can be replaced if he goes on the 60 day DL NOT the 15, so Quentin would need be put on the 60, but Im still not sure if Owens is eligible because he wasnt on the big league roster all year (although he was on the DL, so maybe?)

Craig Grebeck
09-11-2008, 01:09 PM

Ugh. TCQ will hopefully be back before we ever have to see Jerry Owens play in a playoff game.

getonbckthr
09-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I've worked with a severely strained ACL for about 6 months and my job is much more demanding on the leg than PK's. Its a matter of comfort and how much pain he can tolerate.