PDA

View Full Version : Cubs heading towards Ike

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2008, 08:58 AM
Not the best timing for an Astros series in Houston. I wonder if they'll go.

russ99
09-11-2008, 09:08 AM
Not the best timing for an Astros series in Houston. I wonder if they'll go.

The Astros have moved up Friday's game to a 1pm start, as Ike will hit sometime late Friday/early Saturday. Also, it looks like it will hit fairly west of Houston itself, so while Houston will get lots of rain and high winds, the real concern is flooding if there's a significant storm surge in Galveston bay.

I don't see the Cubs skipping unless MLB moves the series to another site. With the Astros in a dome, they could likely play, but the issue is the players, fans and umpires safety getting to the park.

white sox bill
09-11-2008, 09:24 AM
The cubs are so cute and cuddly I doubt even Ike could hurt them

Cat Thief
09-11-2008, 09:37 AM
Hopefully the series gets moved and it begins a monumental collapse. Ike can become the latest curse.

Mr.1Dog
09-11-2008, 09:42 AM
I hear Shea is lovely this time of year.

Railsplitter
09-11-2008, 09:54 AM
St. Louis has been mentioned as a possible site. Would Arlington be available?

Mr.1Dog
09-11-2008, 10:04 AM
St. Louis has been mentioned as a possible site. Would Arlington be available?

Probably not depending on the path of the storm.

Hitmen77
09-11-2008, 10:07 AM
The cubs are so cute and cuddly I doubt even Ike could hurt them

:kneeslap:

alohafri
09-11-2008, 10:14 AM
The Astros should say, "these are our home games, we are playing," forcing the cubs to either play or forfeit.

nccwsfan
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
The Astros should say, "these are our home games, we are playing," forcing the cubs to either play or forfeit.

I imagine that MLB would step in and make the decision for both teams. Hopefully the storm will have minimal damage wherever it hits.

PaleHoser
09-11-2008, 11:11 AM
Ike = Further proof that even God doesn't want the Cubs to play.

hawkjt
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Sounds like the latest plan is to postpone on friday and saturday and play a doubleheader on Sunday and then play on monday which is an open date for both teams.

Hang on to your hat,Houston.

Rocky Soprano
09-11-2008, 01:31 PM
Ike = Further proof that even God doesn't want the Cubs to play.

Teal = Not the color you used.

Law11
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
I was thinking the expressway..
I forgot about the storm..

DSpivack
09-11-2008, 02:12 PM
The Astros have moved up Friday's game to a 1pm start, as Ike will hit sometime late Friday/early Saturday. Also, it looks like it will hit fairly west of Houston itself, so while Houston will get lots of rain and high winds, the real concern is flooding if there's a significant storm surge in Galveston bay.

I don't see the Cubs skipping unless MLB moves the series to another site. With the Astros in a dome, they could likely play, but the issue is the players, fans and umpires safety getting to the park.

Track looks pretty darn close to Houston, plus if it passes just to the west, that means Houston could get the worst of it. Good news is right now is that it doesn't appear to have strengthened as much as originally feared.

Konerko05
09-11-2008, 03:22 PM
I was thinking the expressway..
I forgot about the storm..

I was thinking Ike Turner.

It's Time
09-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Weekend series cancelled. I think this gives the Cubs a great advantage in that they'll be able to stack thier rotation given all the time off.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080911&content_id=3457639&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

russ99
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Weekend series cancelled. I think this gives the Cubs a great advantage in that they'll be able to stack thier rotation given all the time off.

http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080911&content_id=3457639&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

Nope, just Friday was cancelled so far. Rightly so, since Houston looks to be real stormy after noon tomorrow.

I could see MLB trying to fit 3 games in Sunday and Monday (off day for both teams) because of the playoff implications for both teams.

Eep. I feel dirty going on the Cubs site.

havelj
09-11-2008, 08:37 PM
Oswalt could pitch against them if a game is put off until later.

BleacherBandit
09-11-2008, 08:38 PM
eep. I feel dirty going on the cubs site.

qft

champagne030
09-11-2008, 09:00 PM

Stack their rotation for back to back DH's......This is a blow to the Flubs, as long as, MLB does not forece the Astros to play these games outside of Houston.

SoxSpeed22
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
They have been playing badly, despite winning tonight. They have had some injuries and a lot of their hitters have been in slumps. The only difference between the Cubs and Sox is that they have a big lead and the Brewers are playing even worse. They are losing ground to the Phillies and Astros. Getting the weekend off could help the Cubs if their young guys can step up during these DHs.

russ99
09-12-2008, 09:11 AM
Stack their rotation for back to back DH's......This is a blow to the Flubs, as long as, MLB does not forece the Astros to play these games outside of Houston.

Well, this is a pretty bad storm, so they may have to. Hopefully everyone says safe and the damage isn't too bad.

But the Cubs options of moving to St. Louis (the Cards fans hate us as much as the Cubs, so no one but Cub fans would show up) or Wrigley are ridiculous. Not only would the Astros lose a big (and big selling) home series in a pennant race, but in a sense it would be a Cubs home series.

If they have to move, they should move to New Orleans or Baton Rouge, since Louisiana has a pretty large Astros fan base and it would be a treat for those fans to see their team play. I think the Astros might even go as far as Memphis if necessary. If they absolutely need a big league park, maybe Atlanta would work. That would be a true neutral site.

Also, Oswalt continued his late season brilliance last night. He went 8 vs. Pittsburgh, so the earliest he could go would be Monday.

Mr.1Dog
09-12-2008, 09:17 AM
This series probably won't be able to be played anywhere in the Midwest. The storm is so big and you have to figure that any where in Texas, KC, St. Louis would be getting soaked. They will probably have to go east or west to play these.

AnkleSox
09-12-2008, 06:32 PM
The Rangers are playing in Oakland this weekend. Was there any talk of moving the series to Arlington?

ComiskeyBrewer
09-12-2008, 11:33 PM
I have a couple of friends who work for the brewers, both the grounds crew and some higher ups. From what i hear there is a good shot it ends up at Miller Park. My guy working GC was called and asked if he could work this weekend, so it looks like they are gonna try to fit it in.

Blueprint1
09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
I have a couple of friends who work for the brewers, both the grounds crew and some higher ups. From what i hear there is a good shot it ends up at Miller Park. My guy working GC was called and asked if he could work this weekend, so it looks like they are gonna try to fit it in.

At Miller park? If I was a Houston fan i would be really upset about this. These have now become Cubs home games. Not only are the Astros playing home games in the Cubs backyard but the team they are chasing for the wildcard stadium.

whitesox901
09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
The Rangers are playing in Oakland this weekend. Was there any talk of moving the series to Arlington?

I was wonderthing that myself, but my guess was that its gonna be raining there and most of Texas because of Ike.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 12:54 PM
I was wonderthing that myself, but my guess was that its gonna be raining there and most of Texas because of Ike.

From the looks of it now, the storm appears to be mostly east of the Dallas metroplex. It seems possible to me.

EDIT: The Rangers are on the road now, but will be home monday, so who knows.

russ99
09-13-2008, 03:20 PM
At Miller park? If I was a Houston fan i would be really upset about this. These have now become Cubs home games. Not only are the Astros playing home games in the Cubs backyard but the team they are chasing for the wildcard stadium.

Needless to say, I'd be one upset Astros fan if that were the case.

While I have doubts that they can play in Houston even for a Monday DH, this smacks of favoritism of the Cubs since they wouldnt have to travel not to mention the Astros would have a very hostile "home" crowd. Can anyone say conflict of intrest, eh Milwaukee Bud?

If the series has to be moved, the Astros should make the call, since they have to leave their families in a disaster zone. Why can't Atlanta, Cincinnati or even an unaffected nearby AAA park like Round Rock or New Orleans be used???

DeadMoney
09-13-2008, 09:14 PM
If the series has to be moved, the Astros should make the call, since they have to leave their families in a disaster zone. Why can't Atlanta, Cincinnati or even an unaffected nearby AAA park like Round Rock or New Orleans be used???

Milwaukee it is (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3470587&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

This really sucks for the Astros, but there's not much they can do. I'm sure the Commissioner's Office made the call.

kevingrt
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Milwaukee it is (http://houston.astros.mlb.com/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20080913&content_id=3470587&vkey=pr_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb)

This really sucks for the Astros, but there's not much they can do. I'm sure the Commissioner's Office made the call.

Well, the Cubs got lucky. A couple days off and they are for all intensive purposes staying home.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 09:18 PM

If I'm the Astros, I'm protesting this, it's basically a Cubs home game. The Astros are still in Houston and neither airport will be open until monday--how are they supposed to get there?

Tragg
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Houston is in a race with Milwaukee....so they put the game in Milwaukee?
How can they agree to that?

StillMissOzzie
09-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Well, the Cubs got lucky. A couple days off and they are for all intensive purposes staying home.

No ****, they don't call Miller Park Wrigley Field North for nuthin'. Astros got jobbed.

SMO
:gulp:

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 10:01 PM
They should've given us Milwaukee so that these games would've been played and had the Cubs play in Arlington. Gosh, darn!

JB98
09-13-2008, 10:10 PM
Houston is in a race with Milwaukee....so they put the game in Milwaukee?
How can they agree to that?

It's beyond ridiculous. Unbelievable.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 10:13 PM
I still wonder how exactly the Astros are getting to Milwaukee. Houston Hobby is only open to VFR flying, won't be fully open until Monday and Bush/Intercontinental is closed until further notice. Other than, I don't know if they'll have to bus over to Austin or San Antonio or something like that.

It's Time
09-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Is this a joke? So, the Astros lose 3 beyond huge home games, have to dodge a killer hurricane, have to move family members to God knows where and then THEY have to fly to a home game while the Cubs get to drive there?

It will be a home game for the Cubs. That is unreal. The Cubs are going to the playoffs, but that's not the point. There had to be other options then Wrigley North. Wow! Just wow!

chisoxfanatic
09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Couldn't they have used Tampa? They saw the situation there and could've played the games at Tropicana Field. This is just unreal.

It's Time
09-13-2008, 11:16 PM
How's this for irony. The Brewers fans now actually love this. They are pretty much at peace that they are not catching the Cubs and feel that a Cubs home game at Miller park will only benefit them as they need the Cubs to beat Houston, who now only trails the Crew by 2.5 games.

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/15583/t/Cubs-Astros--Play--Miller-Park-Official--replies-87ish--92is.html?page=4

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 11:24 PM
How's this for irony. The Brewers fans now actually love this. They are pretty much at peace that they are not catching the Cubs and feel that a Cubs home game at Miller park will only benefit them as they need the Cubs to beat Houston, who now only trails the Crew by 2.5 games.

http://brewersfandemonium.yuku.com/topic/15583/t/Cubs-Astros--Play--Miller-Park-Official--replies-87ish--92is.html?page=4

Let's see, it gives a Brewers rival wild card contender a "home" game 90 miles from the opponents home, it should give revenue to the team whose stadium is hosting it, and yet who is affiliiated with the team? Oh, the league's commissioner. Must be a coincidence.

EDIT: Get this, Selig, I mean, the Brewers, are closing off the top deck for the game and tickets start at $25, go upwords to $140, and plenty of idiots, I mean fans of the northside team, are picking them up.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 11:36 PM
What is wrong with Tropicana Field?

Nobody would go, that's why. Hell, they have enough problems drawing for their own games.

I know a domed stadium was a huge selling point, and seriously they aren't playing baseball in Houston, especially when basically everyone is still out of power and recovering.

scarsofthumper
09-13-2008, 11:37 PM
Let's see, it gives a Brewers rival wild card contender a "home" game 90 miles from the opponents home, it should give revenue to the team whose stadium is hosting it, and yet who is affiliiated with the team? Oh, the league's commissioner. Must be a coincidence.

EDIT: Get this, Selig, I mean, the Brewers, are closing off the top deck for the game and tickets start at $25, go upwords to $140, and plenty of idiots, I mean fans of the northside team, are picking them up.Coupled with Brewers fans that want the Astros to lose.

I can see Houston throwing a ****fit over this, and they do have a case, but it's not like they're gonna make the playoffs anyways.

DSpivack
09-13-2008, 11:50 PM
Coupled with Brewers fans that want the Astros to lose.

I can see Houston throwing a ****fit over this, and they do have a case, but it's not like they're gonna make the playoffs anyways.

They're only 2.5 games back of the Brewers. Moving home games to the city of the team you're chasing in the middle of a race in September isn't right. Add the fact that you're playing the likely division winner 90 miles from their house, and the man making the decision has a rooting interest in your team to fail, and it becomes utterly despicable. Selig fails again. If I'm the Astros, I file a protest---but to whom, Selig? Talk about falling on deaf ears.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 12:02 AM
They're only 2.5 games back of the Brewers. Moving home games to the city of the team you're chasing in the middle of a race in September isn't right. Add the fact that you're playing the likely division winner 90 miles from their house, and the man making the decision has a rooting interest in your team to fail, and it becomes utterly despicable. Selig fails again. If I'm the Astros, I file a protest---but to whom, Selig? Talk about falling on deaf ears.
If I'm the Astros, I don't worry about it and play baseball. If you can't make the playoffs after a remaining schedule of the Marlins, Pirates, Reds and Braves, then they need help.

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 01:45 AM
If I'm the Astros, I don't worry about it and play baseball. If you can't make the playoffs after a remaining schedule of the Marlins, Pirates, Reds and Braves, then they need help.

I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't make it any less ****ty.

PatK
09-14-2008, 07:28 AM
Wow, could MLB have made it any more obvious that they want to guarantee we see the Cubs in the playoffs?

SoxFan78
09-14-2008, 07:40 AM
Why couldnt they move the Sox games to Milwaukee? Looks like we know who MLB wants to coast into the playoffs.

downstairs
09-14-2008, 09:05 AM
Hilarious that TEX was open all weekend, and you could have moved Texas' Monday game to a double-header elsewhere.

Oh, and quite the respect for a city just hit with a hurricane: you lose three home games during a playoff race.

The NFL juggled around a schedule that is MUCH harder to adjust to keep HOU with the same number of home games.

soltrain21
09-14-2008, 09:18 AM
Why couldnt they move the Sox games to Milwaukee? Looks like we know who MLB wants to coast into the playoffs.

The situation up here is a tad different than what is going on down there. Don't be ridiculous.

We have gotten rain for three days.

alohafri
09-14-2008, 09:48 AM
Wow, could MLB have made it any more obvious that they want to guarantee we see the Cubs in the playoffs?

I understand Bud just wanted to call the season off and hand the trophy to the cubs. He figured this is the next best thing. Let the cubs sleep in their own beds and drive the 90 miles to Milwaukee for an away game, and make the Astros ride a bus to an airport 100 miles away, and then fly 800 miles for a home game.

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 10:06 AM
The situation up here is a tad different than what is going on down there. Don't be ridiculous.

We have gotten rain for three days.

In another thread, Fenway suggested that the Sox-Tigers should've played a DHer in Milwaukee today and the Brewers-Astros tomorrow. That would have made a lot of sense. Although there was that charity event there today.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 10:10 AM
I don't disagree with that, but it doesn't make it any less ****ty.
Well yeah true, it is pretty ****ty, but I can understand why MLB did it. A roof is basically a necessity, with all the rainouts they wanted these games to be guaranteed to happen, and that would leave Chase Field, the Trop, Triple H and Miller. Arizona's home, so that would leave the last 3. I heard the main reason for Miller is the familiarity for the teams, since they both play there every year, as opposed to the other 2 American League parks, but i'll take that with a grain of salt

TommyJohn
09-14-2008, 10:12 AM

Sounds like a good plot for an Oliver Stone movie. Puh-leeeeze.

JB98
09-14-2008, 10:28 AM

The Cubs were going to make the playoff regardless. This move helps the struggling Brewers, whose lead in the wild card has been reduced to 2 games over Philadelphia and 2.5 games over Houston.

The Cubs really have nothing to do with this. It is just preposterous to have Houston playing "home" games in the home stadium of a team they are competing with for a postseason spot.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 10:33 AM
The Cubs were going to make the playoff regardless. This move helps the struggling Brewers, whose lead in the wild card has been reduced to 2 games over Philadelphia and 2.5 games over Houston.

The Cubs really have nothing to do with this. It is just preposterous to have Houston playing "home" games in the home stadium of a team they are competing with for a postseason spot.

And what gives the Cubs vs. Houston series preferential treatment over the Sox vs. Tigers series?

I guess they could use the excuse that they knew Ike was coming through Houston the whole time and the chances to play games their was slim. But by yesterday when they made the change to play the Houston games in Miller Park, they knew Chicago had a slim chance of getting 1 let alone 2 games in in Chicago.

So I do not really understand why the Astros series got preferential treatment over our series in being moved to Miller Park.

Was it a coin flip?

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 10:43 AM
And what gives the Cubs vs. Houston series preferential treatment over the Sox vs. Tigers series?

I guess they could use the excuse that they knew Ike was coming through Houston the whole time and the chances to play games their was slim. But by yesterday when they made the change to play the Houston games in Miller Park, they knew Chicago had a slim chance of getting 1 let alone 2 games in in Chicago.

So I do not really understand why the Astros series got preferential treatment over our series in being moved to Miller Park.

Was it a coin flip?
The main reason I can see is that Cubs/Astros is a series that has implications for both teams whereas the Sox/Tigers only has implications for the Sox.

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:36 AM

Was it a coin flip?

Why would we want to play our home games in Miller Park. :scratch:

Houston got hit by a hurricane. It's a little different than our situation here in Chicago.

EuroSox35
09-14-2008, 01:37 PM
Tampa Bay, Atlanta, LA, there were other alternatives in which parks were open because teams were on the road, this is pretty unfair imo

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Tampa Bay, Atlanta, LA, there were other alternatives in which parks were open because teams were on the road, this is pretty unfair imo
As far as MLB's rationale, I think the factors were park familiarity, a roof and was available.

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2008, 01:54 PM
Why is it preposterous for the Astros to play their home games at Miller Park? Are they not batting last? What am I missing? The situation no doubt sucks but MLB did what it could.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 01:58 PM
Why is it preposterous for the Astros to play their home games at Miller Park? Are they not batting last? What am I missing? The situation no doubt sucks but MLB did what it could.
Batting last is about the only "home" advantage that the Stros will have.

The place is going to be filled with Cubs fans and Brewers fans wanting Houston to lose to preserve their wild card.

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2008, 02:24 PM
Batting last is about the only "home" advantage that the Stros will have.

The place is going to be filled with Cubs fans and Brewers fans wanting Houston to lose to preserve their wild card.
They're big boys. I'm sure they can handle it.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 02:37 PM
Interesting fact:

The Houston Astros are 3-6 at Miller Park this year.
The Chicago Cubs are 4-0 at Miller Park this year.

alohafri
09-14-2008, 02:56 PM

Now we all know who "Craig Grebeck" is! This is almost word for word what Ryan Dempster said in this morning's Cubune! :tongue:

russ99
09-14-2008, 03:40 PM

Ok, smart guy. How would you feel if you had to leave your family in a disaster area with no power and fly 3-4 hours to play two "home" game in a hostile park, then have to fly directly to Florida very late on Monday?

The Cubs just have to deal with a hour bus ride, and they probably got there last night, then they bus right back home.

Shame on you, Bud, putting your old club's and the Cubs interests first. And I have a newfound hatred for Hendry who was completely unbending in this entire situation.

EuroSox35
09-14-2008, 03:47 PM

Well, there's the point of almost every team in baseball being average to terrible on the road and great at home. The Astros not only lose their home park, but now any chance of fan support. Not to mention we're in the last stretch of a pennant race, when this kind of thing matters most...

Other teams either have to wait or play multiple DH's, and there are multiple open parks around the country, just kind of funny how they pick the absolute most convenient one for the Cubs and their fans. Then there's whatever connection there was between Selig and the Brewers, ahh, the almighty dollar... :\

Bill Naharodny
09-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Now we all know who "Craig Grebeck" is! This is almost word for word what Ryan Dempster said in this morning's Cubune! :tongue:

Did he flip his glove in front of his face when he said it? Guy's an idiot.

TDog
09-14-2008, 07:56 PM

No, they didn't. The Astros were screwed out of home games. Had they been moved to San Diego or San Francisco where there is no rain, it would have been bad enough. The games were moved to suburban Chicago..

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
No, they didn't. The Astros were screwed out of home games. Had they been moved to San Diego or San Francisco where there is no rain, it would have been bad enough. The games were moved to suburban Chicago..

Many are looking at it benefitting the Cubs. I suppose it does, but they more or less have their division wrapped up. It's much more a benefit to the Brewers, considering the Astros are chasing the Brewers and not the Cubs. And to think, that the commissioner of the league making the decision is affiliated with the very team that benefits most from said decision.

soltrain21
09-14-2008, 08:49 PM
Zambrano has a no hitter, EH?!

chisoxfanatic
09-14-2008, 08:51 PM
Many are looking at it benefitting the Cubs. I suppose it does, but they more or less have their division wrapped up. It's much more a benefit to the Brewers, considering the Astros are chasing the Brewers and not the Cubs. And to think, that the commissioner of the league making the decision is affiliated with the very team that benefits most from said decision.
If the Phillies continue like this, the Brewers will be thinking of which golf course they'd like to use in October. I'm actually glad that the Brewers might not make the playoffs now considering how they choked this division away for the second straight year. The Phillies would be a tough opponent for the Cubs.

chisoxfan4life
09-14-2008, 08:52 PM
Zambrano has a no hitter, EH?!

Good I hope he gets it or at least stretches the no-no into the ninth because he just came back from injury and shouldn't be throwing that many pitches.

DSpivack
09-14-2008, 08:57 PM
If the Phillies continue like this, the Brewers will be thinking of which golf course they'd like to use in October. I'm actually glad that the Brewers might not make the playoffs now considering how they choked this division away for the second straight year. The Phillies would be a tough opponent for the Cubs.

Meh, I think the Brewers would be tougher, if both got to the NLCS. The Phillies have no pitching; Milwaukee has Sheets and Sabathia [although he didn't fare too well in last year's ALCS].

alohafri
09-14-2008, 09:14 PM
Good I hope he gets it or at least stretches the no-no into the ninth because he just came back from injury and shouldn't be throwing that many pitches.

He'll blow out an elbow pointing to the sky if he gets it.

Gavin
09-14-2008, 09:26 PM
I applaud Zambrano, but the conditions were not fair.

soxfan2504
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3477708&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

"The scene inside the park was unusual, to say the least. Brewers apparel was given secondary status to Cubs hats and pennants in concession displays. One man was seen wearing an "I Like Ike" T-shirt. The video scoreboard in center field displayed Astros trivia questions."

You stay classy, Cub fans.

chisoxfan4life
09-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Yeah I really feel bad for the Astros. They were absolutely red hot (won 14 of 15) and then they got ****ed over by the hurricane and MLB having to play in Milwaukee. What a rough day for the Astros and Brewers.

34rancher
09-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Amazing to me is that he did it only throwing 110 pitches. I just question *** they are doing with a guy who just had a cortisone shot in that shoulder. That is just asking for a disaster. Cortisone will prohibit the shoulder from swelling if there is actually a problem.

alohafri
09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
One man was seen wearing an "I Like Ike" T-shirt.

Some cub fan is just begging to have his ass kicked.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 09:38 PM
http://chicago.cubs.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080914&content_id=3477708&vkey=news_chc&fext=.jsp&c_id=chc

"The scene inside the park was unusual, to say the least. Brewers apparel was given secondary status to Cubs hats and pennants in concession displays. One man was seen wearing an "I Like Ike" T-shirt. The video scoreboard in center field displayed Astros trivia questions."

You stay classy, Cub fans.I like former President Eisenhower too.

kevingrt
09-14-2008, 09:39 PM

And it's even better that the Cubs actually mentioned it in a story making it out to be cool or funny. Classless individuals.

I guess it was the MLB that posed the story though.

JB98
09-14-2008, 11:15 PM
Meh, I think the Brewers would be tougher, if both got to the NLCS. The Phillies have no pitching; Milwaukee has Sheets and Sabathia [although he didn't fare too well in last year's ALCS].

I think Philadelphia has some pitching. As a matter of fact, the Phillies offense has been a bit of a disappointment. Rollins has had a bad year. Utley has cooled significantly after a great start. Howard is heating up now, but he's been all-or-nothing all season.

Hamels is a real solid guy. Blanton has given the Phillies some decent work since coming over, and Myers has been better in the second half.

Philadelphia would be a much more dangerous opponent for the Cubs than Los Angeles would be in the first round. I also think Milwaukee is a team full of chokers. They choked away the division last year. They are trying to choke away the wild card this season under their choking idiot manager Yost.

I don't see the Brewers beating the Cubs in the playoffs. Hell, the Cubs went up there in July and hammered their asses four straight. I'd say they sent a message and basically won the division right there.

scarsofthumper
09-14-2008, 11:17 PM
I was just gonna say, if I were the Cubs I'd me more worried about Hamels than I would Sheets.