PDA

View Full Version : Streaking Astros

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 12:43 AM
Wow, another late season surge by the Astros. They are feeling it right now. Here is their remaining schedule:

1 vs Pit
3 vs. Cubs
3 @ FLA
3 @ Pit
3 vs. Cincy
3 vs. ATL

All those teams are bad right now, except for the Cubs. So with the Cubs and Brewers struggles that puts even more presure on the games that remain with each other. It could happen that either the Cubs or Brewers could miss the playoffs. Both teams have tough road trips remaining but Milwaukee ends the season with pit and cubs at home.

It will all become clear after this weekend's series with the Cubs, which ironicly could be in limbo because of hurricane Ike. If the Astros win 2 of 3 or sweep the cubs, I say the cubs miss the playoffs. Astros win the central and Milwaukee wins the WC.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but the Astros seemingly have a easy road to the playoffs, presure is on the Cubs.

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Wow, another late season surge by the Astros. They are feeling it right now. Here is their remaining schedule:

1 vs Pit
3 vs. Cubs
3 @ FLA
3 @ Pit
3 vs. Cincy
3 vs. ATL

All those teams are bad right now, except for the Cubs. So with the Cubs and Brewers struggles that puts even more presure on the games that remain with each other. It could happen that either the Cubs or Brewers could miss the playoffs. Both teams have tough road trips remaining but Milwaukee ends the season with pit and cubs at home.

It will all become clear after this weekend's series with the Cubs, which ironicly could be in limbo because of hurricane Ike. If the Astros win 2 of 3 or sweep the cubs, I say the cubs miss the playoffs. Astros win the central and Milwaukee wins the WC.

It will be interesting to see what happens, but the Astros seemingly have a easy road to the playoffs, presure is on the Cubs.

The Astros are nine back in the loss column with 16 games left. They aren't catching the Cubs.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 12:56 AM
The Astros are nine back in the loss column with 16 games left. They aren't catching the Cubs.

Ditto. But nice wishful thinking from the OP.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 01:04 AM

I think there is a legit chance that the cubs miss the playoffs. If the Astros sweep the cubs this weekend, that puts them 5.5 games back by monday (assuming both win tomorrow) 4.5 if the Astros win and cubs loose tomorrow.

I have to disagree with you. If the cubs were the cubs of a month ago, no chance the Astros catch them but right now, the Astros are hotter and have a easy road to the playoffs.

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2008, 01:09 AM
I think there is a legit chance that the cubs miss the playoffs. If the Astros sweep the cubs this weekend, that puts them 5.5 games back by monday (assuming both win tomorrow) 4.5 if the Astros win and cubs loose tomorrow.

I have to disagree with you. If the cubs were the cubs of a month ago, no chance the Astros catch them but right now, the Astros are hotter and have a easy road to the playoffs.

Then we will agree to disagree. But I just don't see the Astros going 14-2 in this stretch, which would basically mean the Cubs could go 7-10 and still win the division. An easy road to the playoffs when you are 8.5 back with 16 to play is a bit of a reach. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

OTOH, if I'm Milwaukee, I'd be sweating a little bit.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 01:16 AM
Then we will agree to disagree. But I just don't see the Astros going 14-2 in this stretch, which would basically mean the Cubs could go 7-10 and still win the division. An easy road to the playoffs when you are 8.5 back with 16 to play is a bit of a reach. Trust me, I hope I'm wrong and you're right.

OTOH, if I'm Milwaukee, I'd be sweating a little bit.

I'll agree that Milwaukee should be sweating, mainly because they have to go Philly for 4 and then the cubs for 3 (which CC should be pitching game 1 of that cub series)

I just think the way the schedule works out and they way the cubs have played, theres a chance that the Astros can be within 2 by mid-next week. Because after a off-day monday for all 3 teams the cubs and brewers start a series and the Astros are in miami. Either way, if the Astros take care of the Marlins, they are gonna be on the heals of someone.

chisoxfanatic
09-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Should that happen, our Sox could have a carbon copy of the results of 2005. I'll take it!

It's Time
09-11-2008, 02:31 AM
If the Astros win 2 of 3 or sweep the cubs, I say the cubs miss the playoffs. Astros win the central and Milwaukee wins the WC.

:smokin: Are you smoking something? Lets just assume the Cubs lose and the Stros win tomorrow. Even if the Astros win 2 of 3 from the Cubs this weekend, they'd still be SEVEN back in the loss column with 12 to play (13 games would remain for the Cubs).

IF IF IF that happens, the Cubs could go a very, very pedestrian 5-8 and still the Stros would need to finish 13-1 to TIE them. They'd need to go 14-0 to win it.

Not only that, but the Brewers and Phillies are going to hammer each other for 4 games starting tomorrow night. The Cubs magic numer is 9 for a playoff spot. They are either going to gain ground on Philly or the Brewers, both of whom they lead by a good margin.

You're basically saying that the Cubs, Cards, Crew and Phils are all going to lose just about all their games, while the Stros basically win out.

With that type of math, the Stros can lose 2, maybe 3 games the rest of this year.

More math? If the Cubs lose the division, they could still go 6-11 and that would require a 14-2 finish by the Phils and Astros just to tie the Cubs for the wild card, or 15-1 to knock them out.

Seriously? :smokin:

doublem23
09-11-2008, 08:40 AM
I'd love for the Cubs to blow the post-season, but I'll take a Milwaukee collapse as a consolation prize. :cool:

kraut83
09-11-2008, 08:53 AM
:offtopic:

A little off topic, but what are the chances this weekend's Astros/Cubs series gets moved due to the hurricane, and what are the most feasible options for locations?

russ99
09-11-2008, 09:57 AM
:smokin: Are you smoking something? Lets just assume the Cubs lose and the Stros win tomorrow. Even if the Astros win 2 of 3 from the Cubs this weekend, they'd still be SEVEN back in the loss column with 12 to play (13 games would remain for the Cubs).

IF IF IF that happens, the Cubs could go a very, very pedestrian 5-8 and still the Stros would need to finish 13-1 to TIE them. They'd need to go 14-0 to win it.

Not only that, but the Brewers and Phillies are going to hammer each other for 4 games starting tomorrow night. The Cubs magic numer is 9 for a playoff spot. They are either going to gain ground on Philly or the Brewers, both of whom they lead by a good margin.

You're basically saying that the Cubs, Cards, Crew and Phils are all going to lose just about all their games, while the Stros basically win out.

With that type of math, the Stros can lose 2, maybe 3 games the rest of this year.

More math? If the Cubs lose the division, they could still go 6-11 and that would require a 14-2 finish by the Phils and Astros just to tie the Cubs for the wild card, or 15-1 to knock them out.

Seriously? :smokin:

This Cubs series is key for the Astros playoff hopes. All the other contenders for the WC play each other while the Astros get Pittsburgh, Florida and Cincy. It won't be easy to make up ground.

As for the Cubs, had they lost last night, a playoff fold would have been a little bit closer to reality, but they're too far ahead and every win ticks off 2 games for the opponents chances to catch up.

Best case for the Astros is if the Cubs hammer the Brewers and knock them out of the playoffs. Then they may sneak in. If everyone splits they'll have to pretty much win out.

BTW - the Whiners are already bitching about trying to move this weekend's series to a neutral site due to the hurricane. The Astros are moving Fridays game up to a daytime start and Saturday may be a washout for safety's sake, but unless Houston has significant flooding they might be able to play a late doubleheader on Sunday in the dome.

The Cubs are pushing St. Louis as the neutral site, but that would essentially give the Cubs a home series with many of their fans in the general area, plus they wouldn't have to travel.

white sox bill
09-11-2008, 10:41 AM
cubs will win Central hands down. Would love to see Brew Crew beat thier behinds, but it won't happen.

hellview
09-11-2008, 10:44 AM
It's always funny when teams get hot when there isn't much time left in the season.

If Houston and Toronto 1 more month of games and I'd easily say they would make the postseason.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 11:05 AM
If Houston and Toronto 1 more month of games and I'd easily say they would make the postseason.

Based on the 1-2 weeks of good baseball they've played? I'd say they probably wouldn't seeing as they both played like crap for the first 5 months of the season.

guillensdisciple
09-11-2008, 11:10 AM
Why should teams be rewarded for playing well towards the end of the season. If they wanted to get in the playoffs they should have played well earlier.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 01:16 PM
I'll agree that Milwaukee should be sweating, mainly because they have to go Philly for 4 and then the cubs for 3 (which CC should be pitching game 1 of that cub series)

I just think the way the schedule works out and they way the cubs have played, theres a chance that the Astros can be within 2 by mid-next week. Because after a off-day monday for all 3 teams the cubs and brewers start a series and the Astros are in miami. Either way, if the Astros take care of the Marlins, they are gonna be on the heals of someone.

For the reasons stated above, this is just insane.

hawkjt
09-11-2008, 01:39 PM
Teams that have put big rushes on late in the season almost always play on the west coast...A's,Giants, Dodgers, or in climate controlled stadia...Twins,Astros, D-Backs,...or high altitude coolness...Rockies.

I just think the heat and humidity of most of the nation takes a real toll over 6 months.

This concerns me with 17 games to go and the fresh twins our stalker.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 01:47 PM
For the reasons stated above, this is just insane.

As I said, there is a chance that this all happens the way that I want it too. I'm looking at the facts: The Astros are hot, they are playing a cupcake schedule for the rest of the season. The cubs are struggling, and have a really brutal schedule.

As for Hurricane Ike, They should move up the game on friday to early afternoon and then wait until sunday night to play game 2 and since both teams have monday off you could play game 3 then. If they wanted to move it, I would say Atlanta since they are @ the mets this weekend.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
As I said, there is a chance that this all happens the way that I want it too. I'm looking at the facts: The Astros are hot, they are playing a cupcake schedule for the rest of the season. The cubs are struggling, and have a really brutal schedule.

Yes, but the Cubs would basically have to lose almost every game and the Astros would have to win almost every game. And the Brewers/Phils/someone would have to help the cause as well.

It's like being 15 out with 16 games left. Sure, you're mathematically alive, but it simply isn't going to happen.

It's Time
09-11-2008, 02:24 PM
The Astros have the Cubs and Marlins to deal with. You don't think they'll lose at least two games there?

It's Time
09-11-2008, 02:26 PM
As I said, there is a chance that this all happens the way that I want it too. I'm looking at the facts: .

Have you seen the facts that people have posted in response to this? The facts are it will take a miracle for this to happen.

If you're drinking, save some for me.:cool:

russ99
09-11-2008, 04:20 PM
The Astros have the Cubs and Marlins to deal with. You don't think they'll lose at least two games there?

What, the Marlins and their 500 fans are going to slow down the Big Freight Train? Also, Roy's pitching that series, so there's one win there.

The games with the Cubs are a bit dicey, even with their slump - but the Astros have their number this year. I can see the Astros winning 10-12 out of their last 17 the way things are going.

CHISOXFAN13
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
What, the Marlins and their 500 fans are going to slow down the Big Freight Train? Also, Roy's pitching that series, so there's one win there.

The games with the Cubs are a bit dicey, even with their slump - but the Astros have their number this year. I can see the Astros winning 10-12 out of their last 17 the way things are going.

Nolasco is pitching that series. That's a loss there.

This thread makes me laugh.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM

OK, so maybe, *maybe* they make the Wild Card if the Brewers piss it away and the Phils do nothing. The Cubs still have it.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 04:40 PM
Nolasco is pitching that series. That's a loss there.

This thread makes me laugh.

Seriously... I know it's nice to think about someone magically catching the Cubs, but we've hit the point were they'd need to have a historic collapse to blow the post-season.

DumpJerry
09-11-2008, 04:47 PM
Based on the 1-2 weeks of good baseball they've played? I'd say they probably wouldn't seeing as they both played like crap for the first 5 months of the season.

Why should teams be rewarded for playing well towards the end of the season. If they wanted to get in the playoffs they should have played well earlier.
In 2005, the Indians played "We made a deal with the Devil" baseball for about six weeks. Since they played like crap for the remainder of the season, they were fishing in October. Playoffs go to the teams which play good baseball all season long or at least for 85%+ of the season (see: 2007 Rockies).

russ99
09-11-2008, 05:30 PM
Seriously... I know it's nice to think about someone magically catching the Cubs, but we've hit the point were they'd need to have a historic collapse to blow the post-season.

Oh, the Astros fan side of me knows the Cubs can't be caught, I'm much more into the reality of the Astros making a charge at the Wild Card.

Also, look at the standings. Houston's tied with Philly and ahead of St. Louis right now. They've already caught up to the pack and are looking up at Milwaukee.

It's Time
09-11-2008, 05:43 PM
Oh, the Astros fan side of me knows the Cubs can't be caught, I'm much more into the reality of the Astros making a charge at the Wild Card.

Also, look at the standings. Houston's tied with Philly and ahead of St. Louis right now. They've already caught up to the pack and are looking up at Milwaukee.

Which means Milwaukee or Philly will be gaining ground as far as distancing themselves this weekend in their head to head games.

It's been a nice run for Houston but it's going to be hard. As far as the original point of this thread, the Cubs are not going to miss the playoffs.

Even Cub haters amongst us know that.

It's Time
09-11-2008, 11:55 PM
This thread fails to deliver.

guillensdisciple
09-12-2008, 12:03 AM
Wild card winners, 75 percent certain about that.

white sox bill
09-12-2008, 07:56 AM
If I were a screen printer, I'd get the Central Champs 08 out ASAP for the cubs. If I were Bud, I'd get the trophy engraved. Hows that for assurance? (And I'm not happy about it either!)

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2008, 07:27 AM
Whether or not the Astros pull off a miracle, there is no denying that they have played exceptionally well since acquiring pitching help at the trade deadline.

It would have been nice if the Sox had acquired quality veteran relievers instead of Royals rejects and minor league flotsam.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2008, 10:14 AM
Whether or not the Astros pull off a miracle, there is no denying that they have played exceptionally well since acquiring pitching help at the trade deadline.

It would have been nice if the Sox had acquired quality veteran relievers instead of Royals rejects and minor league flotsam.
Horacio Ramirez notwithstanding, can we please stop this bull**** about Royals players?

CHISOXFAN13
09-13-2008, 10:21 AM

Yeah, because Carrasco has sucked. *****.

Who should we have acquired? This list should be good

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2008, 10:27 AM

Obviously we should have gone after LaTroy Hawkins like the Astros did -- which I'm sure everyone around here would have been thrilled about!

champagne030
09-13-2008, 11:31 AM

Ummm....My next door neighbor is better than Wasserman. Bradford, Byrd, ect were both acquired while Kenneth was asleep at the wheel......

fusillirob1983
09-13-2008, 04:14 PM
Ummm....My next door neighbor is better than Wasserman. Bradford, Byrd, ect were both acquired while Kenneth was asleep at the wheel......

I can't speak about Bradford, but I'm sure the Indians would have jumped at the opportunity to give us Paul Byrd.

Craig Grebeck
09-13-2008, 04:46 PM
Plus we should have jumped at the opportunity to add Chad Bradford and his terrible contract for the next 1.5 seasons. Do some research.

EuroSox35
09-13-2008, 05:51 PM
I don't mind adding Royals as much, except when the players are terrible with the Royals, which is what happened with MacDougal and Sisco. I'm pretty sure MacDougal had a ton of blown saves and was demoted as closer while they just gave up on Sisco

Frater Perdurabo
09-13-2008, 06:00 PM
Other teams seemed to get pitching help.

Instead, KW gave up a mediocre reliever and a decent prospect to get a DH to play CF.

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2008, 11:23 AM
Other teams seemed to get pitching help.

Instead, KW gave up a mediocre reliever and a decent prospect to get a DH to play CF.
Who are these other teams Frater? Seriously? What could we have done?

Should we listen to you? You wanted to deal for Juan Pierre to replace Jim Thome!

champagne030
09-14-2008, 11:27 AM
Plus we should have jumped at the opportunity to add Chad Bradford and his terrible contract for the next 1.5 seasons. Do some research.

I don't know, but a 2.15 ERA for Tampa at the cost of $4.5M for the remainder of this season and next seems a lot better than whatever flotsam we're sending out there, but thanks for playing.

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't know, but a 2.15 ERA for Tampa at the cost of $4.5M for the remainder of this season and next seems a lot better than whatever flotsam we're sending out there, but thanks for playing.
Ah, his performance certainly looks sustainable. 8 BB against 4 K! Where do I sign?

champagne030
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
Ah, his performance certainly looks sustainable. 8 BB against 4 K! Where do I sign?

It's worked all year and Wassermann's 2+ WHIP and 7.5+ ERA look so much better. :shrug:

Craig Grebeck
09-14-2008, 01:36 PM
It's worked all year and Wassermann's 2+ WHIP and 7.5+ ERA look so much better. :shrug:
Not really. He walked 7 guys in 40 innings with the O's and 8 guys in 14 innings with the Rays. He's also allowed close to 50% of inherited runners to score with TBR.

russ99
09-19-2008, 03:12 PM
And now the Astros are freefalling. Thanks, Bud.

oeo
09-19-2008, 03:13 PM
And now the Astros are freefalling. Thanks, Bud.

If you're going to blame something, blame Ike.

CHISOXFAN13
09-19-2008, 03:15 PM

Nice effort last night Chadwick! :dtroll:

doublem23
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM

You can also blame it on their owner, Drayton McLane, who held out as long as possible to play the Cubs series in Houston. Once they realized that the series could not be played in Houston, MLB had its hands tied.

I'm not saying putting the series in Milwaukee was a good idea, but when a potential Cat 5 hurricane is bearing down on you, you should reschedule your baseball games ASAP.

TDog
09-19-2008, 03:32 PM

The Astros are a different team since they their postponements, but moving Astros home games to a neutral site, particularly a neutral site that is tantamount to a home site for the other team, is something that should never been done. They didn't even move the 1989 World Series.

Instead of refusing to play the games and forfeiting on principle, the Astros seemed to have shown up and refused to have played the games. Winners deal with adversity. Losers faced with adversity, well, lose.

Lip Man 1
09-22-2008, 12:53 PM
The follow-up (and I thought Proud To Be Your Bud taking out a full page ad in the Houston newspaper was funny!):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3601868

Lip

chisoxfanatic
09-22-2008, 12:58 PM
The follow-up (and I thought Proud To Be Your Bud taking out a full page ad in the Houston newspaper was funny!):

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3601868

Lip
What a load of crap, Bud. :rolleyes:

russ99
09-22-2008, 02:14 PM
What a load of crap, Bud. :rolleyes:

Well, at least he admits it. Good to see the players come out on this too... I'd love to see McLane explain his decision making process. I'd be willing to bet that Astros season ticket sales go way down this year.

Quote of the year by Mr. Brocail.