PDA

View Full Version : Should ESPN use Dave O'Brien on Boston games?

Fenway
09-11-2008, 12:34 AM
ESPN uses Dave O'Brien on Wednesday Night Baseball and his contract with WRKO/WEEI allows him to miss 22 Red Sox games a season.

Obie is a good announcer but given his main job is Red Sox radio should he cover Boston games carried by ESPN like tonight?

chisoxfanatic
09-11-2008, 12:52 AM
Eddie Olczyk does Blackhawks games when they're on Versus and NBC too. I don't have a problem with it.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 01:22 AM
ESPN uses Dave O'Brien on Wednesday Night Baseball and his contract with WRKO/WEEI allows him to miss 22 Red Sox games a season.

Obie is a good announcer but given his main job is Red Sox radio should he cover Boston games carried by ESPN like tonight?

I don't have a problem with it. I think most of the play by play guys on ESPN are pretty good. Dan Schman (sp) is my fav. he is pretty sharp.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2008, 01:37 AM
As long as it's not the pompous blowhard Chris "oh nooooooooo" Berman, it's fine.

Lip

I want Mags back
09-11-2008, 02:02 AM
i didn't realize he worked for the Red Sox until now :shrug:

Fenway
09-11-2008, 08:49 AM

Obie is in his second year wth Boston. Last year he was only able to do 60 games on Sawx radio but this season is doing 140 as he know longer does soccer on ESPN.

The Sawx cover this by moving Wednesday games from WRKO to WEEI and former Bruins announcer Dale Arnold does the Wednesday games.

asindc
09-11-2008, 09:31 AM

I think this answers the question. I also didn't know he was Boston's announcer until now. Speaks to his professionalism. I think he does a good job, along with Schulman (sp?). Like Lip said, as long as it is not Berman, I'm fine with any of the ESPN announcers.

Fenway
09-11-2008, 09:56 AM
I think this answers the question. I also didn't know he was Boston's announcer until now. Speaks to his professionalism. I think he does a good job, along with Schulman (sp?). Like Lip said, as long as it is not Berman, I'm fine with any of the ESPN announcers.

Obie has been great on radio for Boston and apparently is being groomed for the #1 job for when Joe Castigleone retires. A lot of fans have tried watching TV with radio sound but it is impoosible to sync up as TV usually runs 3-5 seconds behind radio because of satellite relays and digital boxes. WRKO/WEEI tried to sync audio with cable but it is impossible to do with each TV source having a different delay.

pythons007
09-11-2008, 01:35 PM
ESPN should only be able to talk about Boston once a week. O'Brien can only talk about other teams not named Boston.

thomas35forever
09-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Vin Scully covered the '88 World Series. DJ's done a few Sox games on Fox. What difference does it make?

chaerulez
09-11-2008, 06:18 PM
Ironic he became the Red Sox radio guy when a few years ago ESPN wouldn't let him out of his contract to be the Cubs tv guy.

Kogs35
09-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Ironic he became the Red Sox radio guy when a few years ago ESPN wouldn't let him out of his contract to be the Cubs tv guy.

espn tv deal changed when they tried to get him

Fenway
09-11-2008, 09:53 PM

In fairness the Red Sox were willing to wait until his fulltime ESPN contract expired. They used their PR man on radio for 100 games last year (Glenn Geffner) who was simply awful. WEEI/WRKO said he had to go and now the stations use inhouse talent on the nights Obie is working for ESPN.

Geffner is now doing Marlins radio.

O'Brien is a Boston native so this is his dream gig.

BleacherBandit
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Who covers for Jon Miller on Sundays in San Francisco?

Fenway
09-11-2008, 10:17 PM
Who covers for Jon Miller on Sundays in San Francisco?

I believe they use inhouse people from KNBR.

Of all the dumb moves Angelos has made in Baltimore firing Miller has to rank near the top. The Orioles tried to cover it by saying Miller wanted to return to the Bay Area where he grew up but he still makes his home in Maryland.

Miller also was fired by Haywood Sullivan of the Red Sox after the 1982 season and was replaced by Castigleone who had been doing Brewers TV.

Sullivan had fired Hawk a year earlier for being too critical of the team.

pierzynski07
09-12-2008, 11:27 AM

This happens all the time in baseball. As far as I know, here are the current national broadcasters who also work for other teams:

Thom Brennaman - Reds
Josh Lewin - Rangers
Mark Grace - Diamondbacks
Matt Vasgersian - Padres
Jon Miller - Giants
Dave O'Brien - Red Sox
Gary Thorne - Orioles

As for the concern of him doing Red Sox national games, well that's nothing new either. Everytime the Reds are on FOX Saturday, Brennaman is doing the call. Same with Grace and the Diamondbacks, and Vasgersian and the Padres. Those are done with the common sense of traveling in mind (they're already in town on that Friday to do the local game), and not to have a biased announcer in the booth. However, I did find it funny when both Diamondback announcers called a national back one Saturday. (http://awfulannouncing.blogspot.com/2008/05/your-mlb-announcing-schedule-for_22.html)

So to answer the question, just don't sound biased! DJ was great a couple years ago.

Harry Potter
09-12-2008, 11:44 AM
So to answer the question, just don't sound biased! DJ was great a couple years ago.

You mean Fenway was wearing his Red Sox hat, glasses, et al when he made this post. What a shocker

eriqjaffe
09-12-2008, 12:19 PM
This happens all the time in baseball. As far as I know, here are the current national broadcasters who also work for other teams:

Thom Brennaman - Reds
Josh Lewin - Rangers
Mark Grace - Diamondbacks
Matt Vasgersian - Padres
Jon Miller - Giants
Dave O'Brien - Red Sox
Gary Thorne - OriolesI heard John Rooney doing a national radio game (not involving the Cardinals) on AM1000 earlier this season. I had almost forgotten how much I missed hearing him.

I want Mags back
09-12-2008, 01:30 PM
I heard John Rooney doing a national radio game (not involving the Cardinals) on AM1000 earlier this season. I had almost forgotten how much I missed hearing him.

I had to listen to the ASG on gameday audio this year since i was away with no TV, and rooney did the field reporting for espn radio. I truly do miss his voice

pierzynski07
09-13-2008, 11:03 PM
You mean Fenway was wearing his Red Sox hat, glasses, et al when he made this post. What a shocker
Good one. :D:

I was refering to Obie, as he's apparently called. As long as he sounds excited for both teams, there shouldn't be a problem.