PDA

View Full Version : *Official* Sox rough up Doc 9/10 Postgame thread

Sockinchisox
09-10-2008, 10:49 PM
Got a little scary there, but a W is a W.

munchman33
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
That's a huge win.

Pear-Zin-Ski
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
Geez...no more heart pounders like that guys!

SOX WIN!!!!

arKnaD7
09-10-2008, 10:51 PM
So much for a stress free ending :D:

guillensdisciple
I almost passed out... what the hell was that??

Love the Sac bunt, that was absolutely beautiful!

KyWhiSoxFan
Great outing by Buehrle. He came up big in a must-win game.

Soxman219
:bandance:Close one!

Chisox353014
*resumes heartbeat, respiration*

Madscout
09-10-2008, 10:52 PM
That turned ugly at the end, but glad our boys pulled it out.

october23sp
BAD Bobby Jenks

oeo
If that's Bobby's rough outing that he was due to have, I'm glad it came in a 4-run game.

Mark was huge today, that's all that needs to be said.

nug0hs
09-10-2008, 10:53 PM
Im going to Costco and buying a case of Tums for the next 3 weeks

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM
Mark it down, Buehrle had a great outing! :cool:

If it weren't for BA, this game would've still been playing on. Great job in the 9th, BA!!!

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 10:55 PM
Mark Buehrle for President. :smile:

october23sp
Mark it down, Buehrle had a great outing! :cool:

If it weren't for BA, this game would've still been playing on. Great job in the 9th, BA!!!

Can NEVER have to many runs.

hawkjt
Just goes to show when a team is hot like the Jays...you damn near gotta blow them out to actually beat them. They won 10 in a row and liked winning,clearly , and did not want that taste outta their mouths.

Now, lets get marcum tomorrow then send the still hot jays to boston to cream the carmines.

JB98
09-10-2008, 10:56 PM
That RBI single by Anderson turned out to be huge. We got key contributions from Wise, Owens and BA off the bench. Ozzie moved AJ down into an RBI position, and he delivered.

Buehrle pitched great. We need great starting pitching from here on out to make the playoffs, because we are playing two bats short.

Jenks needs more work. He's rusty when he goes three or more days in between appearances.

A one-game lead with 17 games to go is better than a one-game lead with 18 games to go. Keep battling, Sox.

PicktoCLick72
I'd say it gives them the momentum going into tomorrow, but when you are playing like we are you take a W any way you can. A split would be absolutely huge.

Frankfan4life
That's a huge win.But unnecessarily stressful at the end. But, what the heck, I needed a few more gray hairs. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/scared001.gif

sox1970
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
If the Sox can win tomorrow, we can forget about the crap that happened on Tuesday.

Huge game for Buehrle.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 10:58 PM
Thome and Alexei also contributed along with Wise,Owens,BA,and AJ.
Team effort ,team win.

and of course everyone's fav....MB!!

I know his w/l record is not great but I am sure glad Kenny re-signed MB...he is the heart and soul.

ChiSox89
09-10-2008, 10:59 PM
a win is a win. i don't care how the sox get them as long as they do.

ChiSox89
09-10-2008, 11:01 PM
other than the 9th very nice game. sox gettin 5 runs off doc. burls pitches well. nice game owens as well

nccwsfan
09-10-2008, 11:03 PM
A big win against a hot team with their ace on the mound. That's a big win, especially in September.

Go get em' tomorrow! :bandance:

tstrike2000
09-10-2008, 11:04 PM
Phewwww, close call Bobby! Great win though. Let's rough up Marcum tomorrow!

sox1970
09-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Three games in a row at home without a homer?

That will end tomorrow.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Let's get Marcum tomarrow. If we can get Doc out tonight with this roster, we can definately handle tomarrow, no problem.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
The weather is warming up tomorrow and for the weekend if it is not raining. I honestly think this team needs warm weather to hit the homers.

Hope it is warm in NY and KC next week.

JB98
09-10-2008, 11:13 PM
The weather is warming up tomorrow and for the weekend if it is not raining. I honestly think this team needs warm weather to hit the homers.

I think it has more to do with the opposing pitching. Toronto's pitching is really good, hard to hit homers against them.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 11:15 PM

Ye that is why the cell is homer central during the summer, the ball jumps off the bat. I would rather the Sox produce the way they did today, it shows that they are hitting well instead of trying to go for the big bomb. The Sox need more of that and if mixed properly with the home runs this offense can live with the injuries suffered.

Oh and the pitching has to be at 100 percent, there is either a problem with the starters of the bullpen... that can't happen.

I think though as a previous poster said the Jays had won 10 in a row and wanted to keep on winning, so this comeback in the ninth was just scorching team trying to win another one.

Zisk77
09-10-2008, 11:16 PM
It is totally inexcusable for Jerry Owens to see meaningful at bats in a pennant race.

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
That RBI single by Anderson turned out to be huge. We got key contributions from Wise, Owens and BA off the bench. Ozzie moved AJ down into an RBI position, and he delivered.

This lineup looks like 2007. You have runners on 1st and 3rd 1 out with a 4 run lead, and it's time to break the game open. So the Sox bunt for 1 run. And that's probably the best choice because the hitter can barely hit the ball out of the infield (which begs the question - why is he playing).

We have no chance long term if Guillen insists on reliving 2007. Owens getting at bats, much less starting, is an outrage.

A big hit for Anderson, who's had many this year, particuarly as a percentage of at bats.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Maybe Owens and Wise get a nite off as the whipping boys around here

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:22 PM
Very impressive AB on the squeeze from Owens...he really showed some focus
Nice to see the impact speed has on our offense
Glad to see AJ dropped lower in the order...hope it's permanent.
Gutsy, 'stopper" like performance from Buehrle
Ramirez needs a game off (he hasn't had the "breathers" like Iguchi in his 1st full season)...Getz' injury really hurts.

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:24 PM
Glad to see AJ dropped lower in the order...hope it's permanent.

The trouble with that is that Wise or Owens bats second.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 11:25 PM
I agree with your points but Alexei actually looked dangerous again. That ground ball single thru the hole got him back on the ball.
That double that should have been a triple was well struck and when he goes oppo like that ...he is getting it back. Doc was shocked ,I think.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 11:26 PM

They really killed us tonite, right?

Just cannot let it go for even one nite?

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
This lineup looks like 2007. You have runners on 1st and 3rd 1 out with a 4 run lead, and it's time to break the game open. So the Sox bunt for 1 run. And that's probably the best choice because the hitter can barely hit the ball out of the infield (which begs the question - why is he playing).

We have no chance long term if Guillen insists on reliving 2007. Owens getting at bats, much less starting, is an outrage.

A big hit for Anderson, who's had many this year, particuarly as a percentage of at bats.

How the hell is Guillen reliving '07? Owens is playing because of injuries to TCQ and Konerko...and he had a productive night. As far as the situation goes...you don't "break the game open" against Halladay. He has an ERA in the 2.80 range and a 1.04 WHIP...with Owens/Cabrera/Wise coming up..small ball/squeeze was a smart strategy that was well executed. But somehow this is similar to the 2007 season?

Zisk77
09-10-2008, 11:32 PM

:scratch: Unbeleivable. Are execution has been so poor so we execute perfectly and u are worried we could busted the game open with a long ball that Owens couldn't supply. We scored 3 runs that inning against Cy fricken Halladay! A pitcher that owens has hit well in his short career. And for someone who can't hardly hit the ball out of the infield how did he manage to take Halladay warning track opposite field earlier?

This team is hardly reliving 07. I know u don't like Owens but thats ridiculous.

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:33 PM

For our current configuration due to injuries...I'll take it. AJ can't run, can't bunt...and is better utilized further down the line up where he can drive in runs. I'd never build the team that way..but it's the best way to play the cards that have been dealt with 20 games left in the season.

mccoydp
09-10-2008, 11:37 PM
A somber win, to say the least. The somber win streak starts at one. :redneck

Bobby scared the heck out of me in the ninth. Mark was nails on the mound. Great win.

:winner

October26
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
So happy the Sox hung on to win this one.:D: The suicide squeeze by Owens was awesome! Congratulations to Mark Buehrle on getting his 13th win of the season! :bandance: Sox win! Sox win!

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:38 PM
How the hell is Guillen reliving '07? Owens is playing because of injuries to TCQ and Konerko...and he had a productive night. As far as the situation goes...you don't "break the game open" against Halladay. He has an ERA in the 2.80 range and a 1.04 WHIP...with Owens/Cabrera/Wise coming up..small ball/squeeze was a smart strategy that was well executed. But somehow this is similar to the 2007 season? That's my point - because Owens/Cabrera/Wise were coming up, it was the right strategy. My argument is that it is they who are coming up. THAT is 2007 redux. Using slap hitters who can't get on base (aka hackers, for all my fans out there) is exactly what 2007 was all about.

Halliday's on the ropes and they have a 10 game winning streak - breaking the game open is exactly what needs to be done. But like I said, given that Owens was the batter, bunting made sense. As it is Owens' bunt wasn't enough....it needed benchwarmer Anderson to provide the margin.

voodoochile
09-10-2008, 11:40 PM
Bobby making me nervous, but other than that, a heck of an effort from the team as a whole.

:winner

:supernana:

:)

:moonwalk:

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:43 PM
:scratch: Unbeleivable. Are execution has been so poor so we execute perfectly and u are worried we could busted the game open with a long ball that Owens couldn't supply. We scored 3 runs that inning against Cy fricken Halladay! A pitcher that owens has hit well in his short career. And for someone who can't hardly hit the ball out of the infield how did he manage to take Halladay warning track opposite field earlier?

This team is hardly reliving 07. I know u don't like Owens but thats ridiculous.
Read my post again, slick, before putting words in my mouth. " So the Sox bunt for 1 run. And that's probably the best choice because the hitter can barely hit the ball out of the infield" .

This week's lineups are reliving 2007.

FielderJones
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
For our current configuration due to injuries...I'll take it. AJ can't run, can't bunt...and is better utilized further down the line up where he can drive in runs. I'd never build the team that way..but it's the best way to play the cards that have been dealt with 20 games left in the season.

That's just it -- it's no longer the long haul. We need Wise, Owens, or Anderson to step it up for the final sprint. Today all three got the job done.

EuroSox35
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
Biiiggg win

Situational hitting is the best, true dat, double true!

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 11:46 PM
Mark with a stellar outing, but please Bobby, no more outings like tonight.

I'd like to nominate Jerry Owens' squeeze play for the most unexpected success of the year. If he didn't get that down, AJ was a dead man running.

Zisk77
09-10-2008, 11:47 PM
Tragg said, "Read my post again, slick, before putting words in my mouth. " So the Sox bunt for 1 run. And that's probably the best choice because the hitter can barely hit the ball out of the infield" .

This week's lineups are reliving 2007.

Read my post again slick....Owens can hit it out of the infield...)7 wasn't about a bunch of slap hitters we had plaenty of firepower that slumped (thome, dye, Konerko, fields, A.J, Crede basically most of the same players we have now) we sucked because the pen blew and we didn't hiy, not that w couldn't slug.

It was just damn good strategy to squeeze tonight.

I was gald BA came threw but, we shouldn't have need it. Hot Jays Rusty Bobby.

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
That's my point - because Owens/Cabrera/Wise were coming up, it was the right strategy. My argument is that it is they who are coming up. THAT is 2007 redux. Using slap hitters who can't get on base (aka hackers, for all my fans out there) is exactly what 2007 was all about.

Halliday's on the ropes and they have a 10 game winning streak - breaking the game open is exactly what needs to be done. But like I said, given that Owens was the batter, bunting made sense. As it is Owens' bunt wasn't enough....it needed benchwarmer Anderson to provide the margin.

OK..so what's your real point then? Most teams would end up in a tough position after losing their starting LF and start 1B on consecutive days.

TheOldRoman
09-10-2008, 11:52 PM
If the Sox can win tomorrow, we can forget about the crap that happened on Tuesday.No. Just like losing 2 of 3 to the Royals on the road and then at home, just like countless other games the Sox handed away, we can't forget about them or take them back. You have to take 3 of 4 at home this time of year, no matter who you play. We can only forget about yesterday's games if we win the division.

Great game by Buehrle. We absolutely had to have it. Everyone contributed tonight. Lets even it up tomorrow.

Also, we all know Hawk calls the game through rose colored glasses. He has been different lately. He won't come out and say it, but it looks like all the "tip your caps", "this Radhames Liz kid is going to win 20 games some day", and "for my money, Greg Walker is the best hitting coach in the game" comments have finally set him off. He has nobody to blame but himself. When the Sox suck, tell us they suck. Tell us there is no excuse giving up hits to Marco Scutaro or getting shut down by Luis Mendoza.

Back to point, him and DJ have really been harsh on the players lately. Yesterday had DJ saying how the Sox were an awful fundamental team. Today, I thought Hawk was going to start screaming at Dotel. "When is Dotel going to find his curveball?! We can't wait around for him to find it. When you go up there throwing only a 92 mph fastball with no movement, you are gunna get lit up." I'm glad he is taking the recent crappy play as well as we are.

Konerko05
09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
Someone getting called "slick" always makes me laugh.

Zisk77
09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
Someone getting called "slick" always makes me laugh.

Dr. Von Slick was my favorite villian in the old spiderman cartoon. :redface:

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:58 PM
OK..so what's your real point then? Most teams would end up in a tough position after losing their starting LF and start 1B on consecutive days.
Jerry Owens should not be batting, much less starting.

He started the 2nd day he was up here....before Paul's injury.

Williams really needs to get Ozzie a present in the offseason - a slapper who can get on base.

Konerko05
09-11-2008, 12:02 AM

I'm glad Owens contributed today. Unfortunately he probably just earned himself another week of starts in Guillen's eyes.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 12:08 AM
I'm glad Owens contributed today. Unfortunately he probably just earned himself another week of starts in Guillen's eyes.

Look, like Ranger said tonight, it doesn't matter how the white Sox do it, they just need to win. I don't care how they do it, but they just need to win. Beating Roy was a great thing, but they must follow it up with a good offensive showing tomorrow night.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 12:08 AM

I feel the same.

[Daver moment] Anyone who thinks Jerry Owens and/or DeWayne Wise should be getting at-bats knows very little about winning baseball games. [/Daver moment]

guillensdisciple
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
I don't get it, did we win or lose the game? Give Owens some credit, at least the kid can put one down unlike the rest of the team. Notice also how with the threat of a base stealer the dynamic of the game changes completely. The combination of Cabrera and Wise might work out especially the way Wise has been hitting. However his fielding is decent at best.

Tragg
09-11-2008, 12:29 AM
We've won via the HR all year.
So in crunch time, down the stretch, we are worried about getting bunts down, intentionally making outs where Ozzie wants them made, and adjusting the lineup so that we can move that runner up one base. It's ridiculous.

Wise had 1 good week in June and he's having his 2nd good week this week. Aside from those 2 weeks, the rest of this year has been like his career - dreadful. If he keeps hitting, fine (despite his defense) - either he or Owens has to play - but how does that merit batting 2nd?

DumpJerry
09-11-2008, 12:38 AM
Mark Buehrle for President. :smile:
Ummm....no, not yet. We need him in the rotation!

Don't worry about Bobby's outing-he always makes it interesting when he enters a non-save situation.

This was the most runs the Sox scored without a home run since May 21, 2007. It is also win number 81, now it's official this won't be a losing season.

hawkjt
09-11-2008, 12:49 AM
No. Just like losing 2 of 3 to the Royals on the road and then at home, just like countless other games the Sox handed away, we can't forget about them or take them back. You have to take 3 of 4 at home this time of year, no matter who you play. We can only forget about yesterday's games if we win the division.

Great game by Buehrle. We absolutely had to have it. Everyone contributed tonight. Lets even it up tomorrow.

Also, we all know Hawk calls the game through rose colored glasses. He has been different lately. He won't come out and say it, but it looks like all the "tip your caps", "this Radhames Liz kid is going to win 20 games some day", and "for my money, Greg Walker is the best hitting coach in the game" comments have finally set him off. He has nobody to blame but himself. When the Sox suck, tell us they suck. Tell us there is no excuse giving up hits to Marco Scutaro or getting shut down by Luis Mendoza.

Back to point, him and DJ have really been harsh on the players lately. Yesterday had DJ saying how the Sox were an awful fundamental team. Today, I thought Hawk was going to start screaming at Dotel. "When is Dotel going to find his curveball?! We can't wait around for him to find it. When you go up there throwing only a 92 mph fastball with no movement, you are gunna get lit up." I'm glad he is taking the recent crappy play as well as we are.

I just think the tension of the long season is finally getting to Hawk a bit.
With 17 stinking games left ,all thoughts that the sox are going to finally find the magic rythmn that he loves to talk about are pretty much dead.
Of course a lotta that is the loss of Jose,PK,TCQ and Joe...some of his favorite players. I just think he is like a lot of sox fans right now...hanging by a thread and fearing the worse like in 06. Each game is so huge,each loss is so painful now. I guess it is called a pennant race. Go Sox.

Zisk77
09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
So in crunch time, down the stretch, we are worried about getting bunts down, intentionally making outs where Ozzie wants them made, and adjusting the lineup so that we can move that runner up one base. It's ridiculous.

Wise had 1 good week in June and he's having his 2nd good week this week. Aside from those 2 weeks, the rest of this year has been like his career - dreadful. If he keeps hitting, fine (despite his defense) - either he or Owens has to play - but how does that merit batting 2nd?

So we should never bunt? Look You can't always hit homers especially against great pitching (witch you will see in the playoffs) We haven't hit a homer the whole series against the Jays. However if we could have gotten a bunt or 2 down yesterday afternoon we could have won the game. It helped us win today.

The Jays bunted great yesterday which was a big reason why the won game 2.

Its absolutely true we are a homerun hitting team, but that doesn't exclude us from manufacturing runs. We've been pretty bad bunting as a hole this year, but the hit n run has been very effective for us.

I don't advocte Owens playing everyday, but every now and then a start against a certain type of pitcher is probably a good idea (oh the horror).

Its bedtime I'm done argiung with you.

TDog
09-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Mark with a stellar outing, but please Bobby, no more outings like tonight.

I'd like to nominate Jerry Owens' squeeze play for the most unexpected success of the year. If he didn't get that down, AJ was a dead man running.

A suicide squeeze has to be unexpected to be successful. That's one of the things that makes the play exciting. At one moment, everything is still. Then as the ball is hurled to the plate, the runner breaks from third as the hitter squares around and puts the ball in play.

The funny thing is, as I noted in the game thread, I was pointing out to my girlfriend (who is still learning baseball) that with runners on first and third and one out with Owens up, the White Sox could put on a "suicide squeeze." As I was explaining what a suicide squeeze is, its benefits and risks, up pops on Gameday the runner from third scoring and the runner on first advancing on a sacrifice bunt. The replay isn't yet available from mlb.com. I look forward to seeing it.

Mark Buehrle came up big tonight. Toronto has been hot. They have been getting great pitching and great hitting. Buehrle shut them down while Sox hitters did their job. The Jays, in fact, did get to the Sox bullpen.

In Northern California, when I hear people talking about the division races, they assume the White Sox will outlast the Twins. Maybe that's because the Sox looked so much better than the Twins did on the teams most recent visits to Oakland. Maybe that's because distance gives them more objectivity.

I have previously argued that people underestimate the ability and heart of this White Sox team. I think White Sox fans (as well as White Sox haters) are most likely to do so.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2008, 01:33 AM
Hawkjt:

I think you meant to say 2003 (you typed 2006)

In 03 with 17 games left the Sox had a two game lead on Minnesota.

Lip

Mohoney
09-11-2008, 02:32 AM
The very same thing needs to happen tomorrow against Marcum. Toronto has been pitching lights-out lately, and I'm not counting on any help from the hapless Royals. Minnesota has pounded them with regularity.

It's Time
09-11-2008, 02:34 AM
If the White Sox need a win in a must have/huge game, Buehrle gets the ball every time for me. He was beyond good tonight.

soxstarter
09-11-2008, 08:56 AM
My first thought was just "Whew!" Buehrle was fantastic! But my heart was racing in that last inning.

Hoping that upcoming games are nice and boring with the Sox producing double digit wins.....Big Sigh.

asindc
09-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Ummm....no, not yet. We need him in the rotation!

Don't worry about Bobby's outing-he always makes it interesting when he enters a non-save situation.

This was the most runs the Sox scored without a home run since May 21, 2007. It is also win number 81, now it's official this won't be a losing season.

If anyone had any doubt about why we need more speed in the lineup, this stat should remove the doubt.

Great game, aside from Bobby's rust. This outing reminded me of his 2005 WS game 2 outing. I'm not worried about him... he has been exceptional since his return from the DL.

Here are things I really liked about this win:

1) Beat one of the top pitchers in the AL in a crunch-time game following a 3-game losing streak;

2) Executed a perfect suicide squeeze;

3) Our money pitcher beat their money pitcher;

4) See bolded text above;

5) All the reserves who played contributed significantly; and

6) It knocks another game off the magic number and the schedule.

MsSoxVixen22
09-11-2008, 09:30 AM
I'm glad I'm not a nailbiter but if I was I wouldn't have had any nails left after last night! Buehrle pitches a gem of a game to only have Dotel and Jenks almost blow it! The need to bring Jenks in every day or every other day, so he can get some work in and stay fresh. He almost looked downright scared out there! Our bullpen needs to man the **** up too. The starting pitching has been good but the bullpen isn't doing us any favors. I liked seeing Owens and BA's base hit became the game winner. Guys like them and Wise will be a big help. Ramirez does need a rest though. Let's keep it going boys!

Chicken Dinner
09-11-2008, 09:31 AM
5 runs in the last 2 innings given up by the pen....***?

TomBradley72
09-11-2008, 09:31 AM

OK....so enough of ripping Ozzie...what is your starting outfield with TCQ and Konerko injured?

delben91
09-11-2008, 09:43 AM

Williams really needs to get Ozzie a present in the offseason - a slapper who can get on base.

So with Quentin, Konerko and Crede out, who is your starting outfield?

Remember, Swisher has to play first with Konerko out, so he's not an option, and Alexei isn't either as with Getz and Crede out, Uribe has to play 3rd lest we put in Fields (a 2007 hacker, right?).

Now, you can go with Griffey, Anderson and Dye, but Junior played both ends of the DH Tuesday, so I can understand that move for one game. Any outfield except Griffey, Anderson and Dye is going to have to include one of Owens or Wise just because there's no one else left.

What imaginary player would you rather Ozzie use?

Railsplitter
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
As Tim McCarver would say "As long as the first place team wins, it doesn't matter what the other teams do."
:bandance:

oeo
09-11-2008, 12:01 PM

You act like he's been starting everyday since June. The guy has consistently put up hits since he's gotten here...the numbers don't lie.

He's Pablo Ozuna, except Ozuna was more of the mold of hitter that you actually hate than Wise is. I don't care his age, what he's done in the past, etc., he's given us results this year when he's been called upon. The same goes for Ozuna the past few years. He was over 30, nothing more than a career minor leaguer, but we put him in the right role and he succeeded.

It's highly likely that this is the best Dewayne Wise that will ever be seen, but I don't care. We got lucky, and if we can carry that luck for the next month, then awesome.

TomBradley72
09-11-2008, 12:24 PM
You act like he's been starting everyday since June. The guy has consistently put up hits since he's gotten here...the numbers don't lie.

He's Pablo Ozuna, except Ozuna was more of the mold of hitter that you actually hate than Wise is. I don't care his age, what he's done in the past, etc., he's given us results this year when he's been called upon. The same goes for Ozuna the past few years. He was over 30, nothing more than a career minor leaguer, but we put him in the right role and he succeeded.

It's highly likely that this is the best Dewayne Wise that will ever be seen, but I don't care. We got lucky, and if we can carry that luck for the next month, then awesome.

He's hitting .289, 6/6 in stolen base attempts...he's a little scarey in the field...but he's been productive for us. Pennant races/post seasons are filled with guys who had somewhat mediocre careers but came through in crunch time (from Howard Emke in the 30's to Dusty Rhodes in the 50's to Gene Tenace in the 70's, to Geoff Blum in 2005, etc.). We need Wise to deliver some offense and speed on the basepaths for about 3 weeks...so far he's delivering.

Tragg
09-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Right now, we have no choice anyway. He's better than Owens. But obviously I'm not implying he's been playing every day since June because if he were, one good week in June would not inflate his numbers, like it is currently doing it. He doesn't even have near the number of big hits as Anderson and his low OBP.

More concerning is Ozzie's love for Jerry Owens. He wasn't up 1 day before Guillen gave him a start. It looks he'll, unbelievably, platoon Owens and Anderson. The Sox are incredibly lucky that Owens wasn't on the major league roster until September or the Sox would be in a race with the Indians and Tigers, not the Twins.