PDA

View Full Version : 09 earlybird

soxwon
09-10-2008, 08:54 PM
Farmer was saying he saw the 09 earlybird schedule, has anyone else?
who do we start with dates etc?

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 09:05 PM
Farmer was saying he saw the 09 earlybird schedule, has anyone else?
who do we start with dates etc?
Hopefully not in Cleveland again with bad umpiring....

jabrch
09-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Hopefully not in Cleveland again with bad umpiring....

Or bad weather...

How about opening up in warm weather and indoors?

ohthosechisox
09-10-2008, 10:08 PM
Nope. I've only heard the rumors about who the Sox might possibly play during interleague next year, which was from a few weeks ago.

Parrothead
09-10-2008, 10:16 PM
Or bad weather...

That would make sense so that will not happen. But hopefully, the Sox will open in Minnesota in 2010 in the new open air stadium. I have always wanted to see what baseball on ice would be like.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 10:19 PM
That would make sense so that will not happen. But hopefully, the Sox will open in Minnesota in 2010 in the new open air stadium. I have always wanted to see what baseball on ice would be like.

There was a game that Cleveland played to open up either th '03 or '04 season, where it was actually snowing. There might have also been an inch or so on the sod. I'm not sure how they'll be able to melt all that snow in Minnesota....

Parrothead
09-10-2008, 10:22 PM
There was a game that Cleveland played to open up either th '03 or '04 season, where it was actually snowing. There might have also been an inch or so on the sod. I'm not sure how they'll be able to melt all that snow in Minnesota....

I was at a game in the old park vs. toronto, not sure of the year but it was snowing and you could barely see the ball. Sox lost.

Gavin
09-10-2008, 10:25 PM
ozzie's first game in 04 was at KC, blown save in the ninth. toronto must have been 03

salty99
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM
Yeah they were saying we have another 4 game series in Toronto.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2008, 11:59 AM
I've been told by a source in the organization that the 2009 schedule overall is much, much better for the Sox and that MLB has apparently listened to their concerns over what has been happening to them the past few seasons.

They are still working on it but they are very satisfied with the rough draft of it as of right now.

Lip

Parrothead
09-11-2008, 12:18 PM
I've been told by a source in the organization that the 2009 schedule overall is much, much better for the Sox and that MLB has apparently listened to their concerns over what has been happening to them the past few seasons.

They are still working on it but they are very satisfied with the rough draft of it as of right now.

Lip

It would be a good schedule if they (MLB) actually has a AL division playing everyone in a NL division once. Anything, less is a failure. Interleague in the current format must go. It was not what we were promised when it started.

LoveYourSuit
09-11-2008, 01:28 PM
It would be a good schedule if they (MLB) actually has a AL division playing everyone in a NL division once. Anything, less is a failure. Interleague in the current format must go. It was not what we were promised when it started.

I only want to play NL Central teams from here on forward as the initial plan was set out to be. Works good for fans wanting to travel to other towns, especially Sox vs Brewers which we have not had in a long time.

Lip Man 1
09-11-2008, 01:50 PM
Unfortunately there will still be crossing over into multiple divisions in 2009. The Sox will play the Brewers though.

The reason MLB got away from the original interleague format is because owners started bitching, "why don't we get the Yankees to come to our town?"

Seriously.

Now you can add the Red Sox to that list.

Owners apparently didn't want to see such "thrilling" matchup's as Royals-Pirates, Reds-Tigers and Padres-A's on a regular basis.

Lip

sox1970
09-17-2008, 08:33 AM
The 2009 schedule is supposedly being release today.

The interleague schedule is:

Home: Cubs, Dodger, Pirates (again!)

Away: Cubs, Reds, Brewers (bout time)

Pretty favorable interleague schedule.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 08:38 AM

We've beaten this to death. Extra games in the south/domes during spring means fewer games at those places duing the prime dates in the summer. Those teams are not going to give up all those dates.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 08:41 AM
Yeah they were saying we have another 4 game series in Toronto.

I'd just hope that would mean we get Toronto here for 5 or 6 games. It seems like every year we have less games here than there against the Jays (this year is an exception).

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 10:28 AM
I'd like to see the Jay's here for 2 3-game series.

As for the interleague stuff, it is fine that we get to play the Pirates or other NL Central opponents, but I'd like to see the Mets here for once, the D'backs, or Philly here, something other than what we have had.

I like diversity not just the same old booring garbage.

At least if we play the BrewCrew, it will be like old times again. I am gonna be first in line to see that series.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:35 AM
At least if we play the BrewCrew, it will be like old times again. I am gonna be first in line to see that series.
I think I might just go up there for the entire series, depending on when it is. I have an aunt and uncle who live just a half hour west of Milwaukee, and I'd probably be able to stay with them, and they'd probably be interested in going to the games as well. They're both Cubs fans, but they congratulated me when the Sox won it all in 2005.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 10:44 AM
That is the way that it should work out, always find a relatives of friends place to stay when on the road. The problem is if I know how these thing go we should be playing them during the week unfortunately. Maybe the schedule gods will shine down upon us and give us a weekend series.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 10:48 AM
That is the way that it should work out, always find a relatives of friends place to stay when on the road. The problem is if I know how these thing go we should be playing them during the week unfortunately. Maybe the schedule gods will shine down upon us and give us a weekend series.
Bud Selig knows how big it would be if it were a weekend series. The revenue would probably be at least 25-30% more in that case. I'm sure he's going to try to do something to make that a weekend series.

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 10:57 AM
That would be nice. The day that tickets went on sale, I'd be there trying to get tickets.

If the Fluffs can fill that place, so should we.

skottyj242
09-17-2008, 11:04 AM
Aren't we opening at home on Sunday night on ESPN?

Lundind1
09-17-2008, 11:07 AM
Aren't we opening at home on Sunday night on ESPN?

That would be nice wouldn't it.

Then I would have to collect WS autographs all over again. Not that I am complaining of course.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
Bud Selig knows how big it would be if it were a weekend series. The revenue would probably be at least 25-30% more in that case. I'm sure he's going to try to do something to make that a weekend series.

My bet it will be a weekend series as well. Either way, the games will be sold out. By putting it on the weekend, the Brewers could price them as marquee dates and thus get more loot. On the other hand, they could make them marquee weekday dates as well (like they do with the Cubs or like the Sox do with the Yankees) and still make the same money.

Sockinchisox
09-17-2008, 12:02 PM
It's out, open at home vs KC on April 6th.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=4&y=2009

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:04 PM
It's out, open at home vs KC on April 6th.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/schedule/index.jsp?c_id=cws&m=4&y=2009
Looks like I'll be celebrating Victoria Day weekend with my boyfriend, as well as doing the Milwaukee thing!

Wow, Sox/Cubs at Wrigley's in the middle of the week this time. Has that ever happened?

FoulTerritory
09-17-2008, 12:12 PM
Unfortunately there will still be crossing over into multiple divisions in 2009. The Sox will play the Brewers though.

The reason MLB got away from the original interleague format is because owners started bitching, "why don't we get the Yankees to come to our town?"

Seriously.

Now you can add the Red Sox to that list.

Owners apparently didn't want to see such "thrilling" matchup's as Royals-Pirates, Reds-Tigers and Padres-A's on a regular basis.

Lip

To me this type of short-sighted sloppy management is a microcosm of why MLB lags behind the NFL in terms of both respect and popularity. There should be a concrete, fair, and immovable system of rotation in place for interleague play, as opposed to this willy nilly lets look for money-making matchups system. What a crock.

WhiteSoxJunkie
09-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Wow, Sox/Cubs at Wrigley's in the middle of the week this time. Has that ever happened?

I want to say that 97, the first year of interleague play, was the only time that has happened.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:19 PM
I want to say that 97, the first year of interleague play, was the only time that has happened.
Shoot, I forgot about that! I was working on a service project down in Inez, KY with my church youth group at that time. I brought a hand-held radio just to find out the scores. Where has the time gone?

sox1970
09-17-2008, 12:30 PM
Late August:

4 at Boston
3 at NY
3 at Minnesota

Come home--4 vs Boston

Yikes!!!

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 12:35 PM
Late August:

4 at Boston
3 at NY
3 at Minnesota

Come home--4 vs Boston

Yikes!!!
No need to fret right now. As this year has displayed (especially with Tampa), they need to play some games first. It's way too early to know how that'll treat us.

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
For those that don't remember, the weekend series at Miller Park in 2001 for all three games were pretty much sold out. I was there for the Saturday game that year and caught a souvenir ball from Chris Singleton who caught the 3rd out and chucked it right to me in the bleachers.:cool:

There were a lot of Sox fans in attendance for all three games. The game I was at was at had at least 20,000-25,000 Sox fans in attendance.

DeadMoney
09-17-2008, 12:36 PM
That's a pretty sweet road trip at the end of August, and to start September (Boston, New York, Minnesota).

September 2, 2009! :bandance:

And, the last 15 games of the season are against Central Division teams.

Foulke You
09-17-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow, Sox/Cubs at Wrigley's in the middle of the week this time.
I'm surprised at this scheduling move. As others have pointed out, it did happen in 1997 at our ballpark. I can only guess that at least two of these three games will be night games as was the case in 1997. The Cubs almost always have night games on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and I can't see them risking the TV ratings hit they'll get if these are all day games. Perhaps the two ESPN Sunday night crosstown games this year convinced them that it is ok to do them again? I guess we'll find out when the schedule is made. Also, doesn't ESPN have a Tuesday night game that they broadcast? This certainly could be one of those games.

sox1970
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Breakdown:

9 home and 9 away vs Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota
3 home vs. Cubs, Dodgers, Pirates
3 away at Cubs, Brewers, Reds

AL East/AL West (Home-Away-Total):
Baltimore: 6-3-9
LA Angels:3-6-9
Oakland: 6-3-9
Seattle: 3-6-9
Boston: 4-4-8
Tampa Bay: 4-4-8
New York: 4-3-7
Toronto: 3-4-7
Texas: 3-3-6

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2008, 01:00 PM
ozzie's first game in 04 was at KC, blown save in the ninth. toronto must have been 03

Man, I remember that game like it was yesterday, unfortunately! I remember that I took the day off work in order to watch that game and I was mad excited in the ninth. Then Marte came in and killed My euphoria.
That game caused Me to start drinking at like 3 pm or something. I was NOT happy! :angry:

We've beaten this to death. Extra games in the south/domes during spring means fewer games at those places duing the prime dates in the summer. Those teams are not going to give up all those dates.

Well Boo-Hoo for them! Seriously, that's too bad. It is pretty much ALWAYS nice in the warm weather cities so "giving up all those dates" in the Summer is not that big of a deal. Infact, it might actually be nicer because it won't be so friggin hot.

I would much rather see some warm weather teams have to give up a few home games in the summer than have to deal with games being SNOWED out and series having to be moved to Milwaukee.

That would be nice. The day that tickets went on sale, I'd be there trying to get tickets.

If the Fluffs can fill that place, so should we.

When the tickets DO go on sale, I will be there and so will the rest of My Sox Crew.

And you better believe that We will fill the place.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:05 PM
Well Boo-Hoo for them! Seriously, that's too bad. It is pretty much ALWAYS nice in the warm weather cities so "giving up all those dates" in the Summer is not that big of a deal. Infact, it might actually be nicer because it won't be so friggin hot.
Not only that, but it might get them out of town during the heat of Hurricane Season.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 01:05 PM

I would much rather see some warm weather teams have to give up a few home games in the summer than have to deal with games being SNOWED out and series having to be moved to Milwaukee.

Summer dates draw far better than early spring. You can hate on it all you want but the ownership of those domed stadiums simply aren't going to give up those dates.

Everyone was wetting their pants over the snowout last year, as if it was something that happened every year. Gimmie a break.

champagne030
09-17-2008, 01:09 PM
When the tickets DO go on sale, I will be there and so will the rest of My Sox Crew.

And you better believe that We will fill the place.

Look into group tickets if you have enough people. Seriously. Those tickets go on sale before tickets are sold to the general public.

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Not only that, but it might get them out of town during the heat of Hurricane Season.

And then you are moving games to northern locations during September, when the weather isn't always the greatest either.

All this talk will be moot in 30 years when all the teams have retractable roofs. Until then, baseball will have to tough it out like they have for the last 130 years.

DSpivack
09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Season ends October 4. Why so late?

sox1970
09-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Because it starts April 6th.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:25 PM
See below.
Because it starts April 6th.
And, that's because of the World Baseball Classic.

sox1970
09-17-2008, 01:29 PM
The Sox will have to dominate in the first half.

The second half is brutal assuming Boston, New York, Anaheim, and Minnesota are good teams.

kittle42
09-17-2008, 01:33 PM

That goddamn thing again? Yuck. Can we keep all Sox players away from it?

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 01:35 PM
That goddamn thing again? Yuck. Can we keep all Sox players away from it?
The thing's here to stay...every three years. Our Sox won the World Series right before the last one. Perhaps we can make a trend here.

ohthosechisox
09-17-2008, 01:46 PM
I'm very excited about the Brewers series next year. My family already wants to make a weekend road trip out of that. I also really hope to see one of the games vs the Dodgers and make a trip down to KC possibly for my birthday (May 30th)! :D:

beasly213
09-17-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm sure Brewers fans are going to be glad that now the other side of Chicago will be invading their ball park. :D:

itsnotrequired
09-17-2008, 02:15 PM
The thing's here to stay...every three years. Our Sox won the World Series right before the last one. Perhaps we can make a trend here.

It will be every four years from this year forward (i.e. next one will not be until 2013).

Soxfanspcu11
09-17-2008, 02:17 PM
Look into group tickets if you have enough people. Seriously. Those tickets go on sale before tickets are sold to the general public.

Thanks for the Heads Up! I just might be doing that. Do you have any idea of how many people make up a "Group"?

And then you are moving games to northern locations during September, when the weather isn't always the greatest either.

All this talk will be moot in 30 years when all the teams have retractable roofs. Until then, baseball will have to tough it out like they have for the last 130 years.

You seem completly concrete in your belief on this so there really is no point in talking about it anymore.

doublem23
09-17-2008, 02:23 PM
You seem completly concrete in your belief on this so there really is no point in talking about it anymore.

You're being just as stubborn... INR is just giving you the truth, owners in domes and Southern cities aren't going to give up so many summer home dates amicably. Why do you think the schedule is the way it is now? Do you really think you're the first guy that noticed April weather in Northern cities isn't always the most pleasant?

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 02:29 PM
Thanks for the Heads Up! I just might be doing that. Do you have any idea of how many people make up a "Group"?
20 or more.

jenn2080
09-17-2008, 02:33 PM
Glad we are playing MIlwaukee. That should be a lot of fun. Now you all can stop bitching about how we never play in Milwaukee.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 02:37 PM
From Bob Grim's WSI Interview:

ML: What issues do the Sox have with the schedule?

BG: “There’s been a few. We can’t seem to ever get the Yankees here at home during the summer on a weekend anymore. We’ve been getting them during the week in April or in September. The Indians meanwhile have gotten them twice in Cleveland on a weekend during the summer months just in one season. I know that baseball likes to try to help teams that may be hurting at the gate but the Indians led the league in attendance in the 90’s, they aren’t struggling.”

“Another issue that we have is these short West Coast road trips. Twice this season we’ve had to go to the coast just for three games. We played the Dodgers three times then came back to Chicago and in the middle of August we have to go to Oakland just for three games. And last year baseball was so late in bringing out the schedule that we lost valuable sales time in September trying to get season tickets sold. Folks like to know who the Sox will be playing and we try to give them an idea in September. Last year baseball kept revising the schedule so much that we couldn’t do it because we didn’t have the information. We were told for example that the Mets were going to come to Chicago on a weekend which would have meant a big crowd, then when the final schedule came out, the league sent the Mets to Detroit.”

“And the interleague schedule now just has no sense to it. We’ve played the Pirates three consecutive seasons but we haven’t played the Brewers, a team only 90 miles away, since 2000.”

“I know a lot of people thought the issue with the schedule was due to the husband and wife team that was putting them together so baseball changed to different folks. Then the thinking was that the issue was because many of the people working on the schedule spent the majority of their time in the National League, that maybe they didn’t understand the A.L. or the rivalries but apparently that’s not the issue either. I honestly think though that baseball does favor certain teams regarding the schedule.”

Seems like they listened to the Sox concerns this season.

Lip

hawkjt
09-17-2008, 02:54 PM
Breakdown:

9 home and 9 away vs Cleveland, Detroit, Kansas City, Minnesota
3 home vs. Cubs, Dodgers, Pirates
3 away at Cubs, Brewers, Reds

AL East/AL West (Home-Away-Total):
Baltimore: 6-3-9
LA Angels:3-6-9
Oakland: 6-3-9
Seattle: 3-6-9
Boston: 4-4-8
Tampa Bay: 4-4-8
New York: 4-3-7
Toronto: 3-4-7
Texas: 3-3-6

Outstanding nutshell synopsis.
I agree it is a better schedule than this year.
Only out to the coast 3 times next year.
Play in texas in first week in may...not 130 degrees. and finish with them by mid-may
Only 3 in Oakland....haunted house.
Playing Boston and NY a total of 15 is not bad..better than 18
Playing the Brewers in milwaukee means we are really out of chicago metro for the Reds and two with the tribe all of June.

negatives: a three game road trip to the west coast.
brutal road trip of boston,ny and minny
finish on the road.

Overall....I am happy with it.

jcw218
09-17-2008, 03:40 PM
Yes, the Sox go to LA for 3 against the Angels, but it's part of a longer road trip followed by three in Kansas City and not just out to LA for the Angels like the Sox were sent out for 3 against the Dodgers or A's sandwiched between two homestands.

UofCSoxFan
09-17-2008, 04:40 PM
Edit...Wow didn't see this whole thread. "09 Earlybird" didn't really make me think 2009 Schedule.

Hitmen77
09-17-2008, 04:48 PM
September 2, 2009. The Sox last game ever at the Trashbag Dome. Good riddance to playing at that piece of **** stadium!

DumpJerry
09-17-2008, 05:17 PM
I found a mistake in the 2009 schedule.

They have our home opener on April 6th.

It's really on April 5th.

Lip Man 1
09-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Kittle:

I don't think a lot of Sox players are interested or their teams would be interested in them to start with.

I thought I read at one time where Vazquez said he'd probably pass on it this time around.

Lip

09-17-2008, 06:10 PM
Two series @ Angels. One on my birthday. I like!

thomas35forever
09-17-2008, 06:33 PM
Facing the Cubs at Wrigley in the middle of the week? I don't think we haven't played them at that time since '97?

swish
09-17-2008, 06:54 PM
We play all of the way to October 4th, this seems like it is gonna be a long season. The WS could possibly end in November

champagne030
09-17-2008, 08:10 PM
Kittle:

I don't think a lot of Sox players are interested or their teams would be interested in them to start with.

I thought I read at one time where Vazquez said he'd probably pass on it this time around.

Lip

That's fantastic news. I think that whole tournament is a joke. Theory wise, it's great, practically, it's horrible.

nasox
09-17-2008, 08:46 PM
I think we should have a WSI get together at Miller Park next year. What kind of packages do they have?

chisoxmike
09-17-2008, 08:57 PM
Seems like they're trying to calm down the crowds at the Sox/Cubs games. The series at Wrigley is a Tues-Wed-Thurs. :scratch:

pierzynski07
09-17-2008, 09:07 PM
See below.

Acutally, if you look at the calendar every year, the games start one day of the month earlier (or two for leap year). In 05, the World Series began on the 22nd, and in 06 it began on the 21st. So every five years or so, the schedule moves up a week, and the process continues, with the schedule starting a day earlier each year.

chisoxfanatic
09-17-2008, 09:31 PM
I think we should have a WSI get together at Miller Park next year. What kind of packages do they have?
I'd be down for that. WSI Fest North!

ChicagoRushFan
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Here is the group prices page.
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/ticketing/group_deposit_form.jsp

And here are some of the places you can rent out on game day for your group.
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil/ticketing/game_day_event_facilities.jsp

The pavilions aren't bad. I haven't rented one myself, but I've seen them many times. They are covered area on the other side of the bridge in the parking lot area.

chisoxmike
09-17-2008, 11:10 PM
We play all of the way to October 4th, this seems like it is gonna be a long season. The WS could possibly end in November

At least we'll be playing in October.

Lundind1
09-18-2008, 09:03 AM

No MLB will find a way to pack it all in three weeks.

chisoxfanatic
09-18-2008, 09:34 AM
At least we'll be playing in October.
We'd have been playing in October regardless, Mike.

Fenway
09-18-2008, 11:10 AM
Looks like Boston will be in Chicago for Labor Day weekend (4 games) and the White Sox go to Bost and NYY the last week of August.

MLB has pushed the schedule back a week and will start on April 5th so we may see the World Series ending in November.

shingo10
09-18-2008, 11:18 AM
Is there some unwritten rule that the Sox can't play Boston until at least August?

I was hoping we'd get to play them early this year as it seems to not work out so well when we play them later but oh well. Minor complaint.

It's good to finally be playing the Brewers again.

Fenway
09-18-2008, 11:46 AM
Is there some unwritten rule that the Sox can't play Boston until at least August?

I was hoping we'd get to play them early this year as it seems to not work out so well when we play them later but oh well. Minor complaint.

It's good to finally be playing the Brewers again.

Every team puts in a request for something in the schedule. For example Boston MUST be at home on the third Monday in April for Patriots Day so they almost always open on the road.

In 2008 2 requests played havoc with everybody in the AL. The Yankees had to have Yankee Stadium available in April for the Pope and the Twins had to be out of Minneapolis for ther GOP Convention in St Paul and the reason was the missing bridge that collapsed last year.

The Mets and Yankees both wanted to close at home but they gave it to the Mets on a coin flip.

I met the husband and wife team a few years ago on Martha's Vineyard and they told me interleague fouled up the schedule more than any other factor.

SOXfnNlansing
09-18-2008, 09:16 PM
The schedule looks great for weekend 27 game plan:

April 11-12 Twins/April 25-26 Blue Jays/ May 9-10 Rangers/ May 23-24 Pirates/ June 6-7 Indians/ June 27-28 cubs/July 18-19 Orioles/ August 1-2 Yankees/ August 8-9 Indians again/ August 22-23 Orioles again/ September 5-6 Red Sox/ September 19-20 Royals/ September 26-27 Tigers.

They play the Indians and Orioles twice, but we get the Yankees weekend in the summer. In 2008 we only got one weekend in May; 2009 it's July which is better I think. We get 3 weekends in August and September. The only question is what the 'other' game will be.