PDA

View Full Version : Four man rotation after Sunday

Sockinchisox
09-10-2008, 07:50 PM
Sox are going to a four man after Sunday, Javy starting on short rest on Saturday and Broadway is pitching on Sunday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/vazquez-to-star.html

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2008, 07:53 PM
That's all they basically can do right now when they are in dire need of wins right now. They have that day off the last Monday of the season, so I'd expect them to get back to a 5-man rotation for the last week of the season. Hopefully they'd have pulled away enough to do that by then.

UofCSoxFan
09-10-2008, 10:18 PM
That's all they basically can do right now when they are in dire need of wins right now. They have that day off the last Monday of the season, so I'd expect them to get back to a 5-man rotation for the last week of the season. Hopefully they'd have pulled away enough to do that by then.

They wont go to a 5 man rotation the last week...They'll keep the 4 man but they'll actually have the 5 days rest with the off day.

I would have liked to have avoided this if possible since it will likey make our starters slightly less effective now and if we get to the playoffs. Still, we really have no choice now. Richard has been terrible Broadway has been terrible out of the pen as well. We have to make it to the playoffs first and worry about dangling arms when we get to that bridge.

Daver
09-10-2008, 10:23 PM
They wont go to a 5 man rotation the last week...They'll keep the 4 man but they'll actually have the 5 days rest with the off day.

I would have liked to have avoided this if possible since it will likey make our starters slightly less effective now and if we get to the playoffs. Still, we really have no choice now. Richard has been terrible Broadway has been terrible out of the pen as well. We have to make it to the playoffs first and worry about dangling arms when we get to that bridge.

Actually, you are preparing the staff for the playoffs, where a five man rotation is not even considered.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 10:26 PM
Actually, you are preparing the staff for the playoffs, where a five man rotation is not even considered.

But in the playoffs, you don't have to pitch anyone on short rest. In fact, in the ALDS they will only need 3 starters and not have to pitch anyone on short rest.

Daver
09-10-2008, 10:41 PM
But in the playoffs, you don't have to pitch anyone on short rest. In fact, in the ALDS they will only need 3 starters and not have to pitch anyone on short rest.

What's your point?

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 10:42 PM
I'll take this, at least with a 4 man staff we are throwing our best out there instead of leaving some of the more important games of the year to a rookie who looks like an idiot sometimes. Love his potential but he is not ready yet.

With 17 games left in the year and the post season possibility this shouldn't be too much stress with in between now and then, that is only one added start to each pitcher and I think Buerhle and Javy can handle it. How Danks and Floyd handle it on the other hand I am skeptical about.

Still I would much rather have this scenario then Richard as the fifth.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 10:44 PM
What's your point?

The point is...how are they preparing the staff for the playoffs if they don't have to pitch anyone on short rest once they get there?

Daver
09-10-2008, 10:45 PM
The point is...how are they preparing the staff for the playoffs if they don't have to pitch anyone on short rest once they get there?

You pitch on short rest in the second series unless you sweep it.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 11:18 PM
So, if no rainouts occur we will have

jays...floyd normal rest
tigers..danks normal rest
tigers..javy short rest
tigers..broadway

ny...mb normal rest
ny..floyd normal rest
ny..danks normal rest
ny..javy normal rest

kc... mb short rest
kc... floyd short
kc... danks short.

off day.

Twins...javy..normal rest
twins... mb...normal rest
twins....floyd normal rest

tribe... danks..normal rest
tribe... javy short
tribe...mb short.

I think this is about the best they can do .... javy goes on short rest twice as does mb....danks and floyd go short once each.

Pray for no rain. But I like how it sets up vs twins and indians that last week. Go down with our best,anyway.
Of course best case scenario...the last two starts of the year can be handled by richard and broadway after we clinch leaving javy and mb ready to go for the playoffs.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 11:21 PM
You got it, hawk.

tstrike2000
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Good idea for this last stretch as Little Richard isn't a reliable starter yet.

Tragg
09-10-2008, 11:30 PM
Richard's been pretty good for the first 4 or so innings in most of his starts. He should be a good addition to the bullpen - certainly better than many of the arms we've used. The pen is a good place to prep a young pitcher for a starting job anyway.

tstrike2000
09-10-2008, 11:35 PM
Richard's been pretty good for the first 4 or so innings in most of his starts. He should be a good addition to the bullpen - certainly better than many of the arms we've used. The pen is a good place to prep a young pitcher for a starting job anyway.

True, I think he'll be good eventually as a starter based on spurts we've seen thus far.

FielderJones
09-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Thank you Ozzie! I was dreading going to Saturday's game to see Richard get blown out. At least with Javy I have a 50-50 shot at seeing a well-pitched game.

Bill Naharodny
09-11-2008, 12:21 AM

Really? Is that some difference in how it lays out this year?

Because, ordinarily, you pitch 4 starters in the playoffs and, unlike if you were to do so during most stretches of the regular season, THEY'RE ON FOUR DAYS REST. In fact, most of the time, the debate is whether to go with only 3 starters, bringing them back on 3 days rest.

Basically, "short rest" in the playoffs typically means 3 starters, not 4.

Chez
09-11-2008, 12:27 AM
Why not throw Javy on Sunday against Detroit (normal rest) and throw whomever on Saturday?

hawkjt
09-11-2008, 12:39 AM
Why not throw Javy on Sunday against Detroit (normal rest) and throw whomever on Saturday?

I think they would rather have Javy go short vs Detroit than the Yankees the following thursday...plus it would give him a couple of starts on normal rest before going short again the last weekend.

RockJock07
09-11-2008, 12:53 AM
So, if no rainouts occur we will have

jays...floyd normal rest
tigers..danks normal rest
tigers..javy short rest
tigers..broadway

ny...mb normal rest
ny..floyd normal rest
ny..danks normal rest
ny..javy normal rest

kc... mb short rest
kc... floyd short
kc... danks short.

off day.

Twins...javy..normal rest
twins... mb...normal rest
twins....floyd normal rest

tribe... danks..normal rest
tribe... javy short
tribe...mb short.

I think this is about the best they can do .... javy goes on short rest twice as does mb....danks and floyd go short once each.

Pray for no rain. But I like how it sets up vs twins and indians that last week. Go down with our best,anyway.
Of course best case scenario...the last two starts of the year can be handled by richard and broadway after we clinch leaving javy and mb ready to go for the playoffs.

I agree, I'm liking how our pitchers work out for the Twins. My hope is that we go into NY and KC and come out 5-2 maybe even 6-1. Anyway you cut it, we are going to need MB and Javy to step it up. Mark had a great outing today but Javy needs to man up.

side note, when the Sox make the playoffs I would probably start Gavin game 1, MB game 2, and Javy game 3. ESPN 1000's baseball show tonight was saying that MB would be the odds on choice but I don't think it's that black and white, IMO.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 12:54 AM
Really? Is that some difference in how it lays out this year?

Because, ordinarily, you pitch 4 starters in the playoffs and, unlike if you were to do so during most stretches of the regular season, THEY'RE ON FOUR DAYS REST. In fact, most of the time, the debate is whether to go with only 3 starters, bringing them back on 3 days rest.

Basically, "short rest" in the playoffs typically means 3 starters, not 4.

I'm pretty sure that's right, Daver.

SoxandtheCityTee
09-11-2008, 01:02 AM
Thanks for this. I have been trying to figure the rotation out on my little cheat sheet I make up this time of year.

I like Vazquez, Burls, Floyd @ the TrashBagDome.

Ah, nothing can ever be easy (I was at the game tonight).

I'm ready now. Bring it on.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 08:34 AM

No you don't. This isn't the ALCS of the 80's or '90's any more... Selig & Co. crammed as many off days in as possible.

spiffie
09-11-2008, 01:10 PM
Last year Cleveland's pitchers went on the following schedule in the playoffs.

10/4 Sabathia
10/5 Carmona
10/7 Westbrook
10/8 Byrd
10/12 Sabatha (7 days rest)
10/13 Carmona (7 days rest)
10/15 Westbrook (7 days rest)
10/16 Byrd (7 days rest)
10/18 Sabathia (5 days rest)
10/20 Carmona (6 days rest)
10/21 Westbrook (5 days rest)

34 Inch Stick
09-11-2008, 04:22 PM
If I remember correctly, Buehrle has a great record when pitching on short rest.

sox1970
09-11-2008, 04:25 PM
If I remember correctly, Buehrle has a great record when pitching on short rest.

4 starts, 2-1, 2.67 ERA

mantis1212
09-11-2008, 05:01 PM
4 starts, 2-1, 2.67 ERA

...and 1 save (or are we not counting the world series?) :D:

Huisj
09-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Thank you Ozzie! I was dreading going to Saturday's game to see Richard get blown out. At least with Javy I have a 50-50 shot at seeing a well-pitched game.

The last Saturday afternoon Fox-televised game I went to: sunny, humid, chance of thunderstorms, Vazquez pitching against TB. The day was glorious until the stinking 8th inning when it rained, Vazquez put guys on, and bullpen couldn't hold on.

This Saturday: another Fox-televised afternoon game, sunny, chance of rain. Vazquez on the mound again, and I will be there. Let's hope it turns out better this time. Yesterday I was having bad flashbacks when I saw Iwamura batting for TB against Boston. That stinking at bat when he fouled off a million pitches against Thornton was so frustrating to watch.

turners56
09-11-2008, 05:08 PM
Sox are going to a four man after Sunday, Javy starting on short rest on Saturday and Broadway is pitching on Sunday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/vazquez-to-star.html

They tried this a month back and nothing happened. :scratch: I hope Ozzie goes by his word this time.