PDA

View Full Version : ESPN/Rick Reilly rates Cities' teams

Law11
09-10-2008, 03:35 PM
What new..

http://sports.espn.go.com/espnmag/story?id=3576248
Notre Dame football? I mean I dig the Irish but cmon...

MushMouth
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Rick Reilly is a dolt

aryzner
09-10-2008, 03:37 PM
I couldn't care less about Notre Dame.

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
Notre Dame's not even in the friggin' city. I'm pretty sure the Blackhawks are now more popular around here than Notre Dame football.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:39 PM
I am usually not one to agree with the blasting of these articles, but Notre Dame???!!! Please. This city is packed with Big Ten alums. Even Illinois has more representation.

turners56
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
What new..

And to think, the Sox got better viewer ratings back in 2006...

Even Cubs fans admit the Sox are the 3rd or 4th most popular team in the city.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Rick Reilly is a dolt

On his best day, Rick Reilly is a dolt.

aryzner
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM
On his best day, Rick Reilly is a dolt.
What is he on his worst day?

doublem23
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
What is he on his worst day?

He should be quarantined... For the good of the public.

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
I am usually not one to agree with the blasting of these articles, but Notre Dame???!!! Please. This city is packed with Big Ten alums. Even Illinois has more representation.Notre Dame fans aren't necessarily Notre Dame alumni. It was my experience that there were probably more Notre Dame fans in Chicago than fans of any one particular Big Ten school.

asindc
09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
Notre Dame fans aren't necessarily Notre Dame alumni. It was my experience that there were probably more Notre Dame fans in Chicago than fans of any one particular Big Ten school.

I think this is true, especially with Catholic households.

As for Reilly's rankings, it just proves he doesn't know what he's talking about. I don't know where he is based, but I would not be surprised if he is one of those many ESPN writers who thinks the Yanks/Mets rivalry is more intense than Sox/Cubs.

Red Barchetta
09-10-2008, 03:57 PM
I give him the Bears, however Notre Dame? I think he's watched Rudy one too many times.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
If I had to rank it based on our population it would be:
1) Bears
2) Cubs
3) Hawks
4) Sox
5) tOSU/Michigan/ND
6) Bulls

DSpivack
09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
1) Bears
2) Cubs
3) Hawks
4) Sox
5) tOSU/Michigan/ND
6) Bulls

I would put Sox over Hawks and Bulls over any single Big Ten team, but agree with the rest.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
1) Bears
2) Cubs
3) Hawks
4) Sox
5) tOSU/Michigan/ND
6) Bulls

Let's cool it on the Hawks bandwagon for now, they've had one half way decent popular year after 10-15 years of oblivion.

The Bulls still have some of the best attendance in the NBA.

soxfan123
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Honestly, are you actually angry? I love the Sox as much as anybody, but they are by no means at the top in terms of popularity.Just because we like them for various reasons doesn't mean they deserve more press. Not a lot of people are Sox fans.

Plus, Notre Dame is one of the most popular sports teams in the country.

Have you read Rick Reilly's stuff? He's no dolt. He's one of the more clever writers around (i.e. his last page thing he used to do in SI).

This board is so blind to reality it is almost not worth reading.

gregoriop
09-10-2008, 04:04 PM
...before it is a Sox town.

According to Rick Reilly, this is the order of how much Chicago loves their sports:

1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Bulls
4. Notre Dame football

Mod edit: Already a thread on this. Merged.

kidmccarthy
09-10-2008, 04:07 PM
**** that. I hate Notre Dame more than the cubs!

MushMouth
09-10-2008, 04:09 PM
Honestly, are you actually angry? I love the Sox as much as anybody, but they are by no means at the top in terms of popularity.Just because we like them for various reasons doesn't mean they deserve more press. Not a lot of people are Sox fans.

Have you read Rick Reilly's stuff? He's no dolt. He's one of the more clever writers around (i.e. his last page thing he used to do in SI).

Yeah, those musings on the last page of SI were "clever" - he's a hack in the vein of Mariotti. Doesn't actually cover sports anymore, just writes about random things that he really knows nothing about.

Notre Dame isn't popular in this city - certainly not more than Blackhawks and White Sox, and a half-dozen Big Ten football teams. Notre Dame has been irrelevant since the 80's.

hellview
09-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Screw ND and screw that fat bastard Charlie Weiss.

asindc
09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=105669

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 04:19 PM
Notre Dame isn't popular in this city - certainly not more than Blackhawks and White Sox, and a half-dozen Big Ten football teams. Notre Dame has been irrelevant since the 80's.You can't be serious that there are a half-dozen Big Ten teams with more fans in Chicago than Notre Dame. You just can't.

Yeah, they've been irrelevant since the 80's. That's why NBC just extended the exclusive contract with them through 2015 (http://und.cstv.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/061908aaa.html), because they get lousy ratings and no one cares about them.

Risk
09-10-2008, 04:20 PM
Let's cool it on the Hawks bandwagon for now, they've had one half way decent popular year after 10-15 years of oblivion.

I agree. In no way shape or form should the Blackhawks be placed above the White Sox or the Bulls.

Risk

DSpivack
09-10-2008, 04:29 PM

Except Reilly claims that his list are the most popular teams in the city. No one here is blind--the Cubs are certainly more popular than the Sox. But the Sox are still very popular in Chicago; hence, put the Cubs second behind the Bears and the Sox third. Yes, ND is one of the most popular college football teams in the country, but there is no way that they are more popular in Chicago than any of the 5 pro teams. Chicago isn't a big college sports town.

Irishsox1
09-10-2008, 04:29 PM
Reilly threw Notre Dame on that list because he knew it would cause a lot of uproar with Notre Dame haters and Chicago sports fans in a lame effort to generate hits for his stupid story.

Where's that Gary Coleman picture with "Who Cares?"

bigsoxfan420
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Don't you guys think that it was a joke, at our expense? Rielly is little smarter than that.

munchman33
09-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Haha..when I read this article I figured it was only a matter of time before it got here.

I sent the following email to ESPN. (I know it doesn't help, but I figure if we all do this every time, they might start listening).

To whom it may concern,

In reference to the which franchise rules your city article by Rick Reily, less people who actually live in the city of Chicago root for the Cubs than you think. Other than the north side community around the ballpark, a very small percentage of "Chicagoans" root for the Cubs. Most Cubs fans are tourists or residents of the north suburbs.

Nike did a survey and map to illustrate this last year. http://www.unitedcountriesofbaseball.com/ (http://www.unitedcountriesofbaseball.com/)
As you can see, almost the entire city of Chicago is White Sox territory, except for that tiny neighborhood on the north side.

The truth is, the bulk of the city cannot stand that franchise or its mostly suburban fan base. And we absolutely hate it when the national media uses that team and fanbase to represent our great city. Please, in the future, be more courteous.

Oh, and most people in Chicago, unless they are Notre Dame Alums, don't even know or care where Notre Dame is.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM

Rick Reilly ****ing sucks, he's not funny, insightful, or even borderline entertaining.

As for the Sox not being popular, perhaps you missed the 2 million people who came to our World Series parade a few years ago? :scratch: Or were you too busy at the Rick Reilly World Fan Club Jamboree?

I'm sure the guys over at Rick Reilly Interactive have a much better board than we do.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 04:37 PM
I agree. In no way shape or form should the Blackhawks be placed above the White Sox or the Bulls.

Risk
Tell me that come APril 09'.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 04:39 PM
Tell me that come APril 09'.

I love the optimism, but the Hawks were dead in this town for as long as I can remember. Can we at least wait until the novelty of them has worn off?

soxfan123
09-10-2008, 04:41 PM
Rick Reilly ****ing sucks, he's not funny, insightful, or even borderline entertaining.

As for the Sox not being popular, perhaps you missed the 2 million people who came to our World Series parade a few years ago? :scratch: Or were you too busy at the Rick Reilly World Fan Club Jamboree?

I'm sure the guys over at Rick Reilly Interactive have a much better board than we do.

You just think he sucks because you're bitter about how the national media overshadows your team.

It was the first World Series since 1919 for the city, of course people will show up.

asindc
09-10-2008, 04:44 PM
You just think he sucks because you're bitter about how the national media overshadows your team.

It was the first World Series since 1919 for the city, of course people will show up.

Actually, since 1959, but you were only off, in a sense, one digit.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I love the optimism, but the Hawks were dead in this town for as long as I can remember. Can we at least wait until the novelty of them has worn off?
Ya but as the novelty wears off the talent will shine thru. Its well documented that a couple decades ago in this city it was the Hawks then everyone else. As sick and demented as this sounds the best thing ever to happen to that franchise was Wirtz' death. He pushed alot of fans away with the TV controversy and how he treated old - time favorites and failing to keep present day heroes. Almost like he closed the door of his house and left everyone on the front porch. The day the nail was put in the coffin was the same day the lock on the door was undone.

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 04:54 PM
This is just an article with one person's opinion. It has no impact on us, so why get worked up over it?

The Blackhawks and their fans made a lot of noise last year when Dollar Bill died and they got on television. They did not make the playoffs and had to give away free tickets to fill the house in the later part of the season. The only people who have been making noise about them are the fans who never left them in the first place.

Other fans like me are still lost to the NHL.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 04:55 PM

No, I think he sucks because he is an humorless douche. I don't dislike all national writers, I just dislike the one's are terrible at what they do.

I'm willing to admit that there were probably plenty of bandwagon fans at the parade, but 2 million people? The Sox aren't just an afterthought in this town the way you're supposed to believe they are.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 05:38 PM
This is just an article with one person's opinion. It has no impact on us, so why get worked up over it?

Because a lot of people here will never be happy unless the roles of the Sox and Cubs are reversed when it comes to the media and public perception, despite the fact that this makes them hypocrites.

WSox597
09-10-2008, 05:44 PM
I've been a Sox fan my entire life, and I'd rather watch hockey than baseball.

I'm glad Chicago has a hockey team again. It's been too long. The Hawks OWNED this town in the '60s and early 70's.

You couldn't buy tickets, people willed their season tickets to their kids.

At the time, the Bears sucked, the Bulls were just starting, and the Cubs and Sox were for the most part, not competitive. I forgot, the Bears did win a championship in '63 before the Super Bowl started.

Although the Sox had a good season in '67 right up until the end. And of course '69 for the Cubs, until near the end.

I wouldn't pay money to see Notre Dame do anything. I never got the allure of college sports, especially colleges that you didn't attend like most of ND's fans.

Whatever happens with the Sox, and of course I hope they win, I can't wait for the NHL season to begin.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
White Sox are third... that was total bullcrap, what an idiot. I hope he gets shot with a paintball gun.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 06:23 PM
I wouldn't pay money to see Notre Dame do anything. I never got the allure of college sports, especially colleges that you didn't attend like most of ND's fans.

With Notre Dame, it's a Catholic thing... I have no real connection to the school, other than I went to a Catholic grade school and Catholic high school.

oeo
09-10-2008, 06:44 PM

Well, most of their fans also became fans long before their college years.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 06:47 PM
There are more Iowa alumni in the chicagoland area than ND. Does not mean they are more popular but ND grads scatter to the winds.

My ranking:

Bears
Cubs
Sox
Bulls
Big Ten
ND
Blackhawks.

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2008, 07:31 PM
The Blackhawks and their fans made a lot of noise last year when Dollar Bill died and they got on television. They did not make the playoffs and had to give away free tickets to fill the house in the later part of the season. The only people who have been making noise about them are the fans who never left them in the first place.
Dump, they did not give away free tickets to fill the United Center last season! That was the at the end of the 06-07 season, when $Bill was still alive! Tons of fans were pissed off at $Bill and wanted to hit him in the wallet. I don't blame them, although I did find myself going to 24 games that season. Last season, they were in the playoff run until the last week of the season, and those games were pretty packed.

The season ticket base now has over doubled, and several games are already sold out before training camp has even started! They have gotten rid of the whole "college ID" deal, because they don't need to do it anymore. There will be very few tickets left for walk-ups, except for games against teams like the Coyotes and Blue Jackets, and even those will be swallowed up with the walk-up crowd.

It has nothing to do with "novelty," but, instead has everything to do with the new regime after the old regime, that treated the organIzation and us fans like **** for so long, bit the dust.

Whatever happens with the Sox, and of course I hope they win, I can't wait for the NHL season to begin.
I can't wait for it either! Don't get me wrong, I really hope that the Sox are playing deep into October and win the World Series! The best Sundays are those when the Bears are playing. But, I've always geared up for Blackhawks games unlike none other. I also enjoy days where the Blackhawks are not even playing, as I have Center Ice and watch other NHL games (like Senators and Devils games, especially), and every Saturday night during NHL season is Hockey Night In Canada night for me.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
With Notre Dame, it's a Catholic thing... I have no real connection to the school, other than I went to a Catholic grade school and Catholic high school.
I actually went to catholic grammar and high school and completely despise ND.
I became a fan of Florida State when I was 10 years old because of Charlie Ward.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 08:13 PM
I became a fan of Florida State when I was 10 years old because of Charlie Ward.

Same here. Charlie Ward is the sole reason for my Seminole fandom.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 08:18 PM
Same here. Charlie Ward is the sole reason for my Seminole fandom.
Heisman Trophy winner who played in the NBA and was drafted by the MLB.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 08:23 PM
I just loved when I saw him play, not sure what it was... but I watched him play and basically said "I'm a FSU fan"... wish he'd come back and give it another shot, I've had enough with our ****ty QB play in the past 10 years.

Rix and Weatherford for the past 8 years :angry::angry:

Lefty34
09-10-2008, 08:30 PM
I just loved when I saw him play, not sure what it was... but I watched him play and basically said "I'm a FSU fan"... wish he'd come back and give it another shot, I've had enough with our ****ty QB play in the past 10 years.

Don't forget about the awesomeness that was Xavier Lee

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 08:32 PM
Don't forget about the awesomeness that was Xavier Lee

Had he just known what plays they were running I think he could have ran that offense quite well.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 08:35 PM

Blame Joe Mauer, thats what I do.:D:

Lefty34
09-10-2008, 08:38 PM
Blame Joe Mauer, thats what I do.:D:

Don't you dare blame Joe Mauer for anything! I mean come on, just look at his sideburns, you can't be mad at that.

champagne030
09-10-2008, 08:40 PM

South Side Catholic, IMO. I was/am a suburban Catholic and have ALWAYS despised ND.

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
Don't you dare blame Joe Mauer for anything! I mean come on, just look at his sideburns, you can't be mad at that.
Cmon who picks, at the time, Tom Kelley over Bobby Bowden?

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 08:44 PM
How did this become a Florida State thread?

Oh, I know: :hijacked:

MarySwiss
09-10-2008, 08:51 PM
I actually went to catholic grammar and high school and completely despise ND.

Irish Catholic here: went to Catholic grammar and high school as well and I don't get the Notre Dame love either. I kind of equate it with the people who--although not remotely Irish--go nuts on St. Patrick's Day with all the green.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 09:00 PM
South Side Catholic, IMO. I was/am a suburban Catholic and have ALWAYS despised ND.

I'm North Side. :shrug:

The ND thing is a Catholic thing. It probably would help if the team was a little more consistently better, but just because you yourself don't happen to follow the stereotype, doesn't make it not true. :cool:

getonbckthr
09-10-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm North Side. :shrug:

The ND thing is a Catholic thing. It probably would help if the team was a little more consistently better, but just because you yourself don't happen to follow the stereotype, doesn't make it not true. :cool:
You are correct, sir.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 09:26 PM
I kind of equate it with the people who--although not remotely Irish--go nuts on St. Patrick's Day with all the green.

Or people that are Irish and have to remind you every time they are drinking or could in the next few hours be drinking alcohol that they are Irish. Those types might be worse.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 10:04 PM
I'm Irish.

Never have supported ND. When you're a Michigan Fan, how can you?

If you are a specific ethnicity, it doesn't predispose you towards being a ND fan. I'd be a ND (North Dakota) fan before a Notre Dame fan...

chisoxmike
09-10-2008, 10:11 PM
1) Bears
2) Cubs
3) Hawks
4) Sox
5) tOSU/Michigan/ND
6) Bulls

Complete horse****.

1. Bears
2. Cubs
3. Sox.
4. U of I :rolleyes:
5. Bulls
6. Hawks

kittle42
09-10-2008, 10:54 PM

Me, too...which should actually make you hate them even more.

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 11:07 PM
Dump, they did not give away free tickets to fill the United Center last season! That was the at the end of the 06-07 season, when $Bill was still alive!
My friend knows someone from the Blackhawks' Front Office. He told my friend about the ticket give-a-ways late last season to fill the place. Also, I remember seeing threads about it last April and trying to get tickets, but they screwed up the website.

It's fine that they doubled the season tickerholder base, but it is still way, way short of the Good Old Days.

kraut83
09-11-2008, 08:05 AM
Come on, haven't you seen Rudy? Chicagoland is filled with ND fans growing up in the hardscrabble neighborhoods of the area.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 10:00 AM
Come on, haven't you seen Rudy? Chicagoland is filled with ND fans growing up in the hardscrabble neighborhoods of the area.

The events in the movie Rudy take place in the 1970's a much different time from now; 1) Enrollment at parochial grammar and Catholic high schools is much lower and 2) College enrollment, especially in the lower and middle class, has dramatically increased.

Once again, just because you yourself don't particularly follow the stereotype, that doesn't disprove it.

Hitmen77
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
What new..

That is total bull****. I know a lot of people in Chicago like ND, but come on! There is no way in hell that ND "owns" this town more than the White Sox.

Typical anti-Sox crap.....and they wonder why Sox fans have a chip on their shoulder.

areilly
09-11-2008, 11:55 AM
"The Chicago Bulls have more problems than a math book. But seriously, this one family's house burned down."

D. TODD
09-15-2008, 11:40 AM

The Hawks problem is that hockey is a niche sport. They are far behind the Bears, both baseball teams, and the Bulls in overall appeal. Even though Chicago is not much of a college town they fall way behind a few college programs as well.

scarsofthumper
09-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Where's the love for the Chicago Sky, eh?

redsand22
09-15-2008, 12:15 PM
Exactly, it was the household and family that you were brought up in.

chisoxfanatic
09-15-2008, 12:29 PM
The Hawks problem is that hockey is a niche sport. They are far behind the Bears, both baseball teams, and the Bulls in overall appeal. Even though Chicago is not much of a college town they fall way behind a few college programs as well.
The Hawks used to OWN this city until $Bill screwed everything up.

doublem23
09-15-2008, 12:39 PM
The Hawks used to OWN this city until $Bill screwed everything up.

It's not all his fault, hockey no way resembles a major sport any longer. Attendance has been terrible for quite a while and they have a pathetic TV deal.

I wouldn't say its dead, but it clearly is being outclassed by the NFL, MLB, and NBA right now.