PDA

View Full Version : The playoff system needs to be changed

WhiteSoxAl
09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
I am trying to be honest here but because the division the Blue Jays are in , they may not make the playoffs even though the Sox or Twins will . Look at head to head competition this year. The Blue Jays kick the crap out of both teams but because they are with the Red Sox and Rays , they may not qualifiy for a post -season berth. That sucks of something that does not sit right with me even though I am as big as any Sox fan on this planet. The same is true in the NL West . If teams like the Dodgers or DiamondBacks kick out the Mets or Phillies , that also sucks. After 162 games , does anybody feel the same way as I or do you feel "Hey that is the system now tough luck if you are a better team but you were put in the wrong division" mode.?

BadBobbyJenks
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Toronto should show up for the first half next season.

kitekrazy
09-10-2008, 03:09 PM
No.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM
toronto should show up for the first half next season.
qft

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:18 PM
I am trying to be honest here but because the division the Blue Jays are in , they may not make the playoffs even though the Sox or Twins will . Look at head to head competition this year. The Blue Jays kick the crap out of both teams but because they are with the Red Sox and Rays , they may not qualifiy for a post -season berth. That sucks of something that does not sit right with me even though I am as big as any Sox fan on this planet. The same is true in the NL West . If teams like the Dodgers or DiamondBacks kick out the Mets or Phillies , that also sucks. After 162 games , does anybody feel the same way as I or do you feel "Hey that is the system now tough luck if you are a better team but you were put in the wrong division" mode.?

Under this logic, we should abolish divisions and leagues, let each team play each other the same number of times, and declare a winner.

Iwritecode
09-10-2008, 03:20 PM
I am as big as any Sox fan on this planet.

:scratch:

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:23 PM
:scratch:

Good catch!

spiffie
09-10-2008, 03:24 PM
Under this logic, we should abolish divisions and leagues, let each team play each other the same number of times, and declare a winner.
This is the way it should be. Then no one could ever bitch again. Instead everyone wants whatever system was in place when they were 12 and baseball was perfect then.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
I am as big as any Sox fan on this planet.
You're as big as Michael Clarke Duncan? :?:

Iwritecode
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
You're as big as Michael Clarke Duncan? :?:

MCD is a pretty big guy.

TDog
09-10-2008, 03:28 PM
I am trying to be honest here but because the division the Blue Jays are in , they may not make the playoffs even though the Sox or Twins will . ...

You could do a ranking system based upon who managers and maybe even sportswriters believe are the strongest teams at the end of the season. Forget the regular season. It was there to provide us with entertainment ... sor of like college football.

The history of baseball is full of teams that were very, very good in September without having any chance of playing in October.

I don't like the idea of second-place teams making the postseason. I don't like the idea of a wild card. With three divisions, you need a wild card.

No matter what you do, some team who is playing well in September won't make the postseason. I suppose you could put every team in the postseason and start it earlier. First round games between Boston and Seattle or the Cubs and the Pirates -- like baseball needs more of those.

The baseball postseason is what it is. And I wouldn't be surprised to see Toronto pass up Tampa Bay the way those teams are playing.

hellview
09-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Tough ****, West, Mid-West and Eastern markets need to be represented throughout the league.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague
AL-Play everyone 12 games
NL-Play everyone 10 or 11 games
Send the top 4 teams in each league to the playoffs.
Shorten the season by a week so the first round is also best-of-seven

That said, it'll never change.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague

Sort of like the Primier League in England, if I'm not mistaken. We shouldn't mirror them....

Daver
09-10-2008, 03:38 PM
Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague

There you go, and the end of the season the best team in the NL plays the best team of the AL, winner take all. That system worked great for many, many years.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
There you go, and the end of the season the best team in the NL plays the best team of the AL, winner take all. That system worked great for many, many years.

Yes, but it also eliminates interest and revenue from teams that are knocked out early on. Obviously, the wild card and divisional play were instituted to make cash. If anything, things will keep deviating further from what once was.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 03:42 PM

It worked well when there were 8 teams in each league.

Nothing will change. It's never going to be entirely fair, so what can you do? :shrug:

skottyj242
09-10-2008, 03:43 PM
I like the way it is.

FielderJones
09-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague

By June, attendance will be 3000 per game for those teams that have to climb over the top four in each league. That's why it will never change. You have to give fans some hope that their team can make the postseason. Divisions and Wild Cards do that.

I would like to see Interleague go away, but I doubt that is going to happen. Again, it's about the money.

Even when they say it's not about the money. </farmio>

sox1970
09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
By June, attendance will be 3000 per game for those teams that have to climb over the top four in each league. That's why it will never change. You have to give fans some hope that their team can make the postseason. Divisions and Wild Cards do that.

I would like to see Interleague go away, but I doubt that is going to happen. Again, it's about the money.

Even when they say it's not about the money. </farmio>

No, I agree...it would be pretty tough to sell a 14th place team. They'd suck just as much in 5th place in a 3 division format, but it's understandable.

Again, nothing will ever change. There will never be less playoff teams. Interleague play will never go away.

esbrechtel
09-10-2008, 03:52 PM
I'm not a huge fan of Bud (but who is) but I LOVE the wild card and like this system better than the one in the past, I do like the longer playoffs but I would like the last week of the season removed to allow for a 7 game opening series...

beasly213
09-10-2008, 03:53 PM
Why was this not posted after the first post? :threadsucks

Bob G
09-10-2008, 03:58 PM
Eliminate Divisions
Eliminate Interleague

Not that this will ever happen since it's too radical but just to have some fun with this topic...

In addition to the above changes I would split the season exactly into two - 81 games each. At the end of the first half the top AL team gets 14 points, 2nd place gets 13 pts. etc down to the last place team that gets 1 pt. In the NL it's the samething except the first place team gets 16 pts. A new season starts in the 2nd half and the same point system applies at the end. The 1st half and 2nd half points are added and the top 4 teams from each league advance to the playoffs. This will help to keep interest throughout the season.

There will have to be tiebreakers and all that but I already made this complicated enough....

Law11
09-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Who gives a crap about the Blue jays?
They are hot and have solid pitching. Congrats...

They also sucked the first half..
Thats why they play 162 games..

The system now is great.
The biggest worry is they turn it into hockey or the NBA where half the league makes it in. Under Bud that wont happen but you never know years down the road..

RockJock07
09-10-2008, 04:02 PM
So basically, you want to work it like minor league ball. The first half winner and wildcard teams goes to the post-season and then the slate is clean for the 2nd half.

I don't like that. this is the major's and requires teams to be consistant throughout the season.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
I like the way it is.

Yeah, I apologize, but I'm sort of fine with how we do it now.

PatK
09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
Don't some minor league baseball leagues have first half and second half winners and have them face off?

Bob G
09-10-2008, 04:11 PM
So basically, you want to work it like minor league ball. The first half winner and wildcard teams goes to the post-season and then the slate is clean for the 2nd half.

I don't like that. this is the major's and requires teams to be consistant throughout the season.

No - I'm saying you add the 1st half and 2nd half points together. The top 4 teams with the most total points are the ones that advance to the playoffs. If a team finishes in first place the first half and last place the second half it probably does not make the playoffs.

downstairs
09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
I don't see why people complain about a team with a better record not making the playoffs.

You have to win your division first. That's it. That's part of the excitement of the regular season- and most other sports have eliminated that excitement.

Why not eliminate all leagues and divisions and play a regular season, the best record is the World Champion? Because that would be lame.

nasox
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Then the White Sox of the 50s wouldn't have come in second or third behind the Yankees so many times. This is stupid. I think we should get rid of the wild card and go back to a two round playoff but that won't happen. Too much money in the new setup. However, I think the regular season should go back to 154 games. It is too long as it is. And the World Series should never extend into November. Ever.

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 04:22 PM
I like the way it is.
Me too. I don't even know why this thread exists. If you don't like the current system, too bad. Cry about it. It's not going to change.

jdm2662
09-10-2008, 04:26 PM
No matter what system you have, no matter how many divisions, teams going to the playoffs, etc, there are always going be teams with better records not going to the playoffs over the lesser ones. It's the same way in every sport, every year. The system they have in place now is about the best you are going to get. Leave it at that.

Cry me a river for the Blue Jays. How many times have the Sox gotten hot late in the season when they were WAY out of first place? Play better in the first half. You can't win a division in May, but you can lose one. Hell, had the White Sox been even five games under .500 in 1987 going into September, they actually would've won the division.

FedEx227
09-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Me too. I don't even know why this thread exists. If you don't like the current system, too bad. Cry about it. It's not going to change.

These threads come up all the time. People have a had time grasping the fact it isn't 1962 anymore.

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 06:04 PM
:scratch: I'm trying to make sense of what your point is. For years, people were wringing their hands over the poor, poor Devil Rays because they had the Yankees and Red Sox in their division and would never make the playoffs. Well, look at this year.

The Blue Jays make their own bed. If they had played the entire year like they are now, then they would get what they earned-a playoff spot.

The playoff spots go to the teams that put it together for 162 games, not 30 or 40 games.

Fenway
09-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Several minor leagues have a first half and second half winner system and if you win both halves you get a bye in the first round.
MLB tried that once in 1981 in a strike year and the Reds were shutout even though they had more wins overall than one of the playoff teams.

Toronto has simply reacted well to a new manager the second half but right now the season is 162 games. While they are a longshot to make the post-season they are at least trying to finish ahead of New York which looks very possible now.

PKalltheway
09-10-2008, 06:33 PM
Toronto should show up for the first half next season.

:scratch: I'm trying to make sense of what your point is. For years, people were wringing their hands over the poor, poor Devil Rays because they had the Yankees and Red Sox in their division and would never make the playoffs. Well, look at this year.

The Blue Jays make their own bed. If they had played the entire year like they are now, then they would get what they earned-a playoff spot.

The playoff spots go to the teams that put it together for 162 games, not 30 or 40 games.

Agreed and agreed. The baseball season is a marathon, not a sprint. I have no problem with the way the system is right now. I think it is very fun, and very exciting.

There's no need to make excuses for Toronto. If they would have played this well in the first half, this wouldn't even be an issue.

EndemicSox
09-10-2008, 07:54 PM
No - I'm saying you add the 1st half and 2nd half points together. The top 4 teams with the most total points are the ones that advance to the playoffs. If a team finishes in first place the first half and last place the second half it probably does not make the playoffs.

This would never be accepted due to tradition, but I'm all for it...

TDog
09-10-2008, 11:54 PM

If you are going to eliminate divisions, there is no reason to have a league playoff. The season has been played to determine the best team. You would just send that team to the World Series. I wouldn't have any problem with that.

If you have a league or a division or even a first-half division winner, as you have in, say, the California League, you have to have that first-place winner rewarded with a trip to the postseason. The wild card dumbs-down the championship process. It's necessary if you have three divisions, just as it's necessary for the California League playoffs to include a second-place team if the Southern Division first-half champ wins the second half as well.

The White Sox didn't get a playoff round in 1964 because they finished a game behind the Yankees. If Toronto can't win the East and can't win the wild card, how can the Blue Jays possibly have a legitimate claim to a spot in the postseason?

Eddo144
09-10-2008, 11:58 PM
That system is really close to the current one: you take the number of wins ("points") a team has in each half, and add them together.