PDA

View Full Version : Chad Curtis and Jim Gray

twentywontowin
09-10-2008, 10:34 AM
Am I the only person on this site that didn't know about their little exchange until today?

For those that don't know what happened, remember how Jim Gray had that accusatory interview with Pete Rose on the All Century Team night before Game 2 of the 1999 World Series?

Chad Curtis of the Yankees hit a walk-off home run in Game 3, and Jim Gray came to interview him about it. Curtis told him that "because of what happened with Pete we're not going to talk out on the field, but that one was for you grandma" and walked off the field.

I just saw a video of it, and that was awesome. How did I miss this?

Chez
09-10-2008, 10:53 AM
While I disagreed with the time and place of Jim Gray's questions, history showed us Pete Rose's true colors. Right?

DSpivack
09-10-2008, 12:31 PM
While I disagreed with the time and place of Jim Gray's questions, history showed us Pete Rose's true colors. Right?

Sure, Pete Rose is an ass [Jim Gray just as much], but that was neither the time nor place to attack him like that. Let him and the people watching enjoy the World Series.

AZChiSoxFan
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Sure, Pete Rose is an ass [Jim Gray just as much], but that was neither the time nor place to attack him like that. Let him and the people watching enjoy the World Series.

When you say it was neither the time nor the place, are you refering to Jim Gray's questions at the AS game, or to Curtis going off on Gray at the WS?

AZChiSoxFan
09-10-2008, 05:00 PM
Am I the only person on this site that didn't know about their little exchange until today?

Probably so.

DSpivack
09-10-2008, 06:28 PM
When you say it was neither the time nor the place, are you refering to Jim Gray's questions at the AS game, or to Curtis going off on Gray at the WS?

Gray's questions at the AS game. I never heard of the Chad Curtis connection before; for that, I applaud him.

Oblong
09-10-2008, 08:43 PM
I think both actions were bush league.

And I've thought Rose was a scumbag all along as well so it's not a case of being mad for Pete's sake.

michned
09-11-2008, 01:12 AM
Ahh, Chad Curtis, the pride of Benson, Arizona. He is legendary in these parts!

Oblong
09-11-2008, 07:11 AM
For falling down every time he throws the ball when he's trying to make a play?

LJS1993
09-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Chad Curtis was a major jerk much like Rose. Rose is a real lowlife and should never get into the HOF.
It was a bad move by Jim Gray, but Rose should have expected as much considering the actions he took.

pythons007
09-11-2008, 12:40 PM
Chad Curtis was a major jerk much like Rose. Rose is a real lowlife and should never get into the HOF.
It was a bad move by Jim Gray, but Rose should have expected as much considering the actions he took.

Rose holds a record previously held by a douchebag and that douchebag is in the hall of fame, so why not Rose? I say he should get in!

voodoochile
09-11-2008, 12:46 PM
Rose holds a record previously held by a douchebag and that douchebag is in the hall of fame, so why not Rose? I say he should get in!

Okay, one more time...

Because by betting on baseball while playing and managing, he puts the very integrity of the game in question.

Not like he can say he didn't know it was against the rules and what he was risking every time he laid down a wager. He knew. He knew why. He chose to do it anyway. **** him...

AZChiSoxFan
09-11-2008, 03:13 PM
Okay, one more time...

Because by betting on baseball while playing and managing, he puts the very integrity of the game in question.

Not like he can say he didn't know it was against the rules and what he was risking every time he laid down a wager. He knew. He knew why. He chose to do it anyway. **** him...

Bravo Voodoo!

Oblong
09-12-2008, 07:22 AM
The best analogy I've seen about Rose concerning the arguments people make like "Other guys were in who did much worse, gambling is not that big of a deal", etc. etc. is this:

Gossiping is not illegal. Unless you are a therapist or a Priest. Gossip about your patients or parishoners and you'll get kicked out.

Having bad breath is not illegal. Unless you are in sales and your clients don't like it. Then you'll get fired.

First Pete said he didn't even have a gambling problem, let alone bet on baseball. Then he says he bet on otehr sports. Then he says he bet on baseball, but not the Reds. Then he admits he bet on the Reds. Whether it was to win or lose is completely irrelevant.

And what he did was between the lines. I don't buy this "Put him in as a player" stuff. He was an active participant in the game of baseball when he did these things.

Viva Medias B's
09-12-2008, 07:41 AM

Rose should be inducted into the HOF ─ posthumously.

the gooch
09-19-2008, 09:35 AM
Rose should be inducted into the HOF ─ posthumously.
I have always though that was the interpretation of a lifetime ban from baseball. (That's the wording of the agreement he signed.)
As a plus, the opportunistic scumbag doesn't get the financial boost a career autograph writer would get. Who would want to hear an induction speech from him anyway?

twentywontowin
09-19-2008, 09:36 AM
I have always though that was the interpretation of a lifetime ban from baseball. (That's the wording of the agreement he signed.)
As a plus, the opportunistic scumbag doesn't get the financial boost a career autograph writer would get. Who would want to hear an induction speech from him anyway?

Did Joe Jackson have a "lifetime" or "permanent" ban from baseball?

the gooch
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Did Joe Jackson have a "lifetime" or "permanent" ban from baseball?He had a baseball commissioner kick him out. Don't know the wording.
Rose signed an agreement, then expected to have it reversed.

BeeBeeRichard
09-22-2008, 02:24 PM
We need a Douchbag Hall of Fame. There will be many eligible candidates in the coming years -- Sammy, Barry, etc. Pete Rose can be in the charter induction class.