09-10-2008, 01:49 AM
Not sure what it actually is but what it can't be is a team with

1. C.Richard pitching in HUGE games for us in September

2. Ken Griffey Jr. either popping out, striking out, or grounding out

3. Catchers who can't throw out a runner, and vice versa we can't steal bases

4. Players who can not bunt

5. Players who can not score from second on a base hit

6. Swishers batting avg

We need to go to the 4 man rotation and ride there arms till they fall off. Swish and Grif need to play like you never won a ring in your life, and the other points will just have to fall in place. If not, this season will see the Twins limp into the post season and bow out early. If we can sneak in our offense could catch fire and bring October Bliss. I still am optomistic we can hold on.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 02:00 AM
This is baseball....anything is possible. The sox could go into the dome and sweep the twins. They could go to NY and sweep the flagging yanks.
They could go out and beat Doc tomorrow nite.
And marcum on thursday.
And the tigers on the weekend.
Twins could get swept in four with the Rays in Tampa.
Baseball...a nutty game that grinds both players and fans to a pulp over a slow roasting open pit for 6 months.
This is gonna be game to game combat.
Strap it down.

oeo
09-10-2008, 02:11 AM
Not sure what it actually is but what it can't be is a team with

1. C.Richard pitching in HUGE games for us in September

3. Catchers who can't throw out a runner, and vice versa we can't steal bases

4. Players who can not bunt

5. Players who can not score from second on a base hit

6. Swishers batting avg

We need to go to the 4 man rotation and ride there arms till they fall off. Swish and Grif need to play like you never won a ring in your life, and the other points will just have to fall in place. If not, this season will see the Twins limp into the post season and bow out early. If we can sneak in our offense could catch fire and bring October Bliss. I still am optomistic we can hold on.

While you're making your list, there are Twins fans making their own. Both teams are flawed...in fact, every postseason contender is showing their flaws right now.

As for your #6...have we already forgotten Swisher's huge tying homerun on Saturday, and then getting Alexei to third in the bottom of the 9th? The guy was huge just a few days ago...

kruzer31
09-10-2008, 02:18 AM
While you're making your list, there are Twins fans making their own. Both teams are flawed...in fact, every postseason contender is showing their flaws right now.

As for your #6...have we already forgotten Swisher's huge tying homerun on Saturday, and then getting Alexei to third in the bottom of the 9th? The guy was huge just a few days ago...

I never forget the good....guess just a bit frustrated after today. I like Swish, and I hope this team gets hot starting tomorrow. I live and die White Sox baseball.

EuroSox35
09-10-2008, 03:06 AM
Let's not forget that a championship team used a rookie closer and starting pitcher in the most important stretch of the season. That was supported by an 'anemic' offense whose hope was an underperforming Aaron Rowand for driving in runs. We also had problems against good teams and good pitchers. Same with facing new pitchers. Same with bunting and fundamentals. Same with a catcher who can't throw guys out, etc. At the time, no one really believed the Sox had a real shot a championship (even if our homerism said so and led us to proudly back these guys), and in mid September, a lot of people probably thought we wouldn't be playing in October. Main point, go back to that team in September or during losing streaks and try to find the 'playoff qualities', every team struggles

I've seen a lot more depleted teams do more surprising then what the Sox need. Prospects don't look high now, but from now until the end is still a LONG time in baseball terms. Look at how teams have gone on 10 game losing streaks and then snapped off 9 in a row.

kevingrt
09-10-2008, 07:51 AM
I've seen a lot more depleted teams do more surprising then what the Sox need. Prospects don't look high now, but from now until the end is still a LONG time in baseball terms. Look at how teams have gone on 10 game losing streaks and then snapped off 9 in a row.

Cardinals in '06 exemplify that. If they can win the WS anyone can.

Chicken Dinner
09-10-2008, 09:56 AM
We are 3-5 in September. No matter how you slice it, that ain't gonna cut it.

stl_sox_fan
09-10-2008, 10:05 AM

I for one am patenting the Ken Griffey Jr weak ground out to 2nd drinking game.

But seriously, all bets are off once the playoffs start. If they can make it, there's always a chance.

voodoochile
09-10-2008, 11:22 AM
I thought the definition of a playoff team was one that made the playoffs. I didn't realize there were a set criteria for what makes that happen.

Sometimes teams that are all banged up make the playoffs anyway because another team is all banged up or because that other team simply doesn't have the goods to make it.

Sometimes teams with 85 wins, win the World Series.

Sometimes Wild Card teams win the World Series.

Sometimes the experts are wrong... dead wrong...

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 11:27 AM
I thought the definition of a playoff team was one that made the playoffs. I didn't realize there were a set criteria for what makes that happen.

Sometimes teams that are all banged up make the playoffs anyway because another team is all banged up or because that other team simply doesn't have the goods to make it.

Amen to this, and that is why the sox should play the underdog. Do the unexpected and you will be glorious.

asindc
09-10-2008, 01:05 PM

You beat me to it.

TDog
09-10-2008, 02:35 PM
I thought the definition of a playoff team was one that made the playoffs. I didn't realize there were a set criteria for what makes that happen. ...

I was going to post these very words after reading the initial post.

The last time I mentioned the 2006 Cardinals, someone tired of that team being maligned defended them, although it seems appropriate here considering that injuries contributed to their regular season record. Instead, let me point out that the 1973 Mets (82-79) barely finished above .500 and went to the World Series. They beat the Cubs on the last Sunday of the season in the first game of what was supposed to be a doubleheader to finish above .500 and clinch the division title over the 81-81 Cardinals. In miserable weather, the second game, being unnecessary was canceled. If the Cubs had won two that Sunday, there would have been a playoff game to determine the definition of a playoff team.

Things are tough all over. It could be that the division so many people (not me, never me) argued at the beginning of the season was the toughest in baseball will be this year's joke, although not for lack of, if healthy, talent.

If the White Sox make the postseason, they would be a postseason team. They might not go in with their fans' hopes as high as they were in 2000 or 1993 or estpecially 1983, but they wouldn't go into the postseason with hopes as low as they were in 2005, surviving a near historic collapse to face the defending World Series champions in the first round.

kitekrazy
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM
We are 3-5 in September. No matter how you slice it, that ain't gonna cut it.

The Rays and Cubs aren't doing so hot either. I think Boston is going to win the division. It must be frustrating to be a Brewer's fan. The Cubs lost 5 straight and still gained a half game.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 03:33 PM

Lawl at Steve Phillips, who thought that a Braves-Indians WS was going to happen!

hellview
09-10-2008, 03:36 PM
Lawl at Steve Phillips, who thought that a Braves-Indians WS was going to happen!

I could have seen the Indians making teh World Series...I don't know what the hell he was thinking with the Braves.

BadBobbyJenks
09-10-2008, 05:14 PM

He has also said the White Sox would win the Central since the All Star break so.....

asindc
09-10-2008, 05:16 PM
I could have seen the Indians making teh World Series...I don't know what the hell he was thinking with the Braves.

I agree. The Indians make sense. The Braves?!

jabrch
09-10-2008, 05:33 PM

Me too. I'm shocked to "learn" otherwise.

RockyMtnSoxFan
09-10-2008, 06:58 PM
At this point I would say that the AL Central is the second weakest division in baseball. However, I think either of the NL West teams could be scarier to opponents in October than the Sox or Twins.

I'm not just hating on the Sox, but we don't have an amazing rotation, we don't have a potent lineup, and our bullpen is kind of in disarray right now. A lot of that is due to injuries, and if we were as healthy and playing as well now as in June, for example, I think the Sox would scare their opponents. But not right now.