PDA

View Full Version : Dare I say... Don't Stop Believin?

lpneck
09-09-2008, 09:57 PM
Look, no one will ever confuse me with being an eternal optimist. I can be a dark cloud with the best of them at times. However...

Stop it. All of you. Those of you who are saying things like "the season is over," just go away.

There is no time for that- there are 18 freaking games left in the season and the Sox are in first place by a game. Didn't we just beat the best team in baseball 2 out of 3 without our MVP candidate? Now the season is over because we lost our .245 hitting first basemen?

Think about that for a second. If you had been given the chance to take this situation in March, even with the injuries, wouldn't you have jumped all over it?

Yes, if there were 100 games to play, it would look bleak, but it's September 10. There is no long term anymore. There is a 2 and a half week sprint, and then 3 short series. And as we have seen over, and over, and over again, it will be about the pitching. For crying out loud, this lineup is STILL better than the one we threw out there in 2005.

The Konerko injury is lousy, and the Quentin injury is really, really, lousy, but on the other hand, this team played some of it's best baseball of the year with Konerko on the bench earlier this season. We just got faster, and got better defensively at two positions.

Here is what I think needs to happen. Griffey needs to go to left field. We HAVE to put our best defense out there now, and that means Anderson in CF and Swisher at 1B (there isn't anyone else to play 1B anyway.)

Lineup:
1.) Cabrera SS
2.) Pierzynski C
3.) Dye RF
4.) Thome DH
5.) Ramirez 2B
6.) Griffey LF
7.) Swisher 1B
8.) Anderson CF
9.) Uribe 3B

And that's it. Tell those guys they are the horses and you have to ride them through the next month. No off days (unless someone else gets banged up) with the exception of one or two for AJ. Ozzie has been good about resting guys throughout the year, and it has to pay off now. There can be no Jason Bourgeois experimentation with 2 weeks to go. No putting Josh Fields in the lineup to see if he is going to see a 2 strike pitch he feels like swinging at tonight. No "if Jerry Owens could only learn to drag bunt he would be a .300 hitter" testing.

You have your lineup, players know their roles, Swisher doesn't have to bring 7 gloves to the game anymore, and go out and win the thing.

It will definitely come down to the 3 games in Minnesota now. They can't back down... it's like Teen Wolf... "It doesn't matter how we got here.. the fact is, we're here."

Sorry, I love that movie. Bonus points for me for working it in.

swish
09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
just a small town girl...

chisoxfan4life
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
living in a lonely world...

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 10:02 PM

ahahahahaha

and no I will never stop believin!!!

Go Sox!!!

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
She took the midnight train going anywhere....

travelinman89
09-09-2008, 10:03 PM
got ran over by a midnight train in Detroit...

LJS1993
09-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Those individuals who cry "the sky is falling" on you are the kind of guys you played with in high school who got intimidated due to the size of the other teams players. They're the guys who lost the game before it even started. No time or space for that on a real squad.

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 10:14 PM

a singer in a smokey room

#1swisher
09-09-2008, 10:31 PM
a smell of wine and cheap perfume
for a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on

nccwsfan
09-09-2008, 10:31 PM

smell of wine and cheap perfume...

wsf4l
09-09-2008, 10:32 PM

Smell of wine and cheap purfume...

#1swisher
09-09-2008, 10:33 PM
jinx

JGarlandrules20
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
We missed 2 lines!

And you call yourselves Sox fans... psshh.

Jaysox
09-09-2008, 10:43 PM
Look, no one will ever confuse me with being an eternal optimist. I can be a dark cloud with the best of them at times. However...

Stop it. All of you. Those of you who are saying things like "the season is over," just go away.

There is no time for that- there are 18 freaking games left in the season and the Sox are in first place by a game. Didn't we just beat the best team in baseball 2 out of 3 without our MVP candidate? Now the season is over because we lost our .245 hitting first basemen?

Think about that for a second. If you had been given the chance to take this situation in March, even with the injuries, wouldn't you have jumped all over it?

Yes, if there were 100 games to play, it would look bleak, but it's September 10. There is no long term anymore. There is a 2 and a half week sprint, and then 3 short series. And as we have seen over, and over, and over again, it will be about the pitching. For crying out loud, this lineup is STILL better than the one we threw out there in 2005.

The Konerko injury is lousy, and the Quentin injury is really, really, lousy, but on the other hand, this team played some of it's best baseball of the year with Konerko on the bench earlier this season. We just got faster, and got better defensively at two positions.

Here is what I think needs to happen. Griffey needs to go to left field. We HAVE to put our best defense out there now, and that means Anderson in CF and Swisher at 1B (there isn't anyone else to play 1B anyway.)

Lineup:
1.) Cabrera SS
2.) Pierzynski C
3.) Dye RF
4.) Thome DH
5.) Ramirez 2B
6.) Griffey LF
7.) Swisher 1B
8.) Anderson CF
9.) Uribe 3B

And that's it. Tell those guys they are the horses and you have to ride them through the next month. No off days (unless someone else gets banged up) with the exception of one or two for AJ. Ozzie has been good about resting guys throughout the year, and it has to pay off now. There can be no Jason Bourgeois experimentation with 2 weeks to go. No putting Josh Fields in the lineup to see if he is going to see a 2 strike pitch he feels like swinging at tonight. No "if Jerry Owens could only learn to drag bunt he would be a .300 hitter" testing.

You have your lineup, players know their roles, Swisher doesn't have to bring 7 gloves to the game anymore, and go out and win the thing.

It will definitely come down to the 3 games in Minnesota now. They can't back down... it's like Teen Wolf... "It doesn't matter how we got here.. the fact is, we're here."

I agree 100%. If were going to make it, it's got to be with that lineup. We've got no other options.

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 10:45 PM
We missed 2 lines!

I'm a Sox fan. But I'm not a Journey fan.

areilly
09-09-2008, 10:47 PM
Those individuals who cry "the sky is falling" on you are the kind of guys you played with in high school who got intimidated due to the size of the other teams players. They're the guys who lost the game before it even started. No time or space for that on a real squad.

Wow, described me to a T. Don't I feel stupid now.

(Shoota, is that you?)

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 10:51 PM
We missed 2 lines!

Who cares, this thread cured Paulie's torn ACL...:)

CMPDragRacing
09-09-2008, 11:01 PM
im not giving up yet. i wont give up until the magic number is 0 or our elimination number is 0. its going to be an uphill battle to win this division with the way the twins are playing and our upcoming schedule. NY and MIN both on the road are going to be tough series'. I still feel that this team can come out on top.

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 12:29 AM
I agree 100%. If were going to make it, it's got to be with that lineup. We've got no other options.
I like the lineup, but I'd switch Griffey and Anderson defensively. Griffey's played only three games in left his entire career with the last one coming in 2002. No point in trying to get him to adjust now. Anderson's got 15 games in left under his belt, including one this year. I'd go with him there instead.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 12:46 AM
PK only strained his knee and could be back as soon as next week.
Carlos could be back for the playoffs.
If anyone told me in March that the sox would have a 1 game lead with 18 to play...I would have jumped for joy.
The Sox have a legit shot at this.
All we can ask.
Now. Go do it.

turners56
09-10-2008, 07:13 AM
We need to drop A.J. down to 5 or 6. Use his power somewhere else. Move Alexei to the 2-spot.

LITTLE NELL
09-10-2008, 07:39 AM
With Paulie, TCQ and Crede out its tough, but the lineup is still potent with Dye, Thome, Swish, AJ, Alexei et al. I agree that AJ should be batting 5th or 6th with Alexei batting 2nd.
The pitching needs to step it up a notch.
One other point is that we seem to catch teams when they are on fire like the Tribe last week and the Jays now. Hopefully its our turn to catch fire.

Law11
09-10-2008, 07:52 AM
The last post said it well. We are catching hot teams right now.
Toronto has dominated us and may very well win again tonight.

Anyway you slice it its coming down to the games in Minnesota.

They just need to get some key hits in these next two and then take care of Detroit this weekend.

Chicken Dinner
09-10-2008, 08:51 AM
They're just not playing like a World Series caliber team. :(:

Carolina Kenny
09-10-2008, 08:52 AM

Lineup:
1.) Cabrera SS
2.) Pierzynski C
3.) Dye RF
4.) Thome DH
5.) Ramirez 2B
6.) Griffey LF
7.) Swisher 1B
8.) Anderson CF
9.) Uribe 3B

I couldn't agree more. This is the best possible team we can field at this point. They should do this otherwise forget about all the "grinder" BS.

Chez
09-10-2008, 09:13 AM
I like the lineup, but I'd switch Griffey and Anderson defensively. Griffey's played only three games in left his entire career with the last one coming in 2002. No point in trying to get him to adjust now. Anderson's got 15 games in left under his belt, including one this year. I'd go with him there instead.

Disagree (respectfully). Anderson is a much better defender in center than the 2008 version of Junior. If Pablo freakin' Ozuna was trotted out to left during a playoff run (which he was), then I think Junior can handle it.

munchman33
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM

Very big of you to say on an internet fan board.

Iwritecode
09-10-2008, 09:30 AM
A good start...

the missing lines:

Just a city boy
Born and raised in South Detroit.
He took the midnight train going anywhere...

a smell of wine and cheap perfume
for a smile they can share the night
It goes on and on and on and on

Strangers... waiting... up and down the boulevard

nccwsfan
09-10-2008, 10:08 AM
Strangers... waiting... up and down the boulevard

Shadows.....searching in the ni-iiiight

gn2727
09-10-2008, 10:22 AM
Guys we are still in 1st place for crikes sake.........:redneck

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Shadows.....searching in the ni-iiiight

Streetlight people
Livin' just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night....

jsg-07
09-10-2008, 10:25 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GJu8rA1L9M&feature=related

"I love this song, and I love it even more when amateurs sing it!"

all*star quentin
09-10-2008, 10:35 AM
Streetlight people
Livin' just to find emotion
Hiding, somewhere in the night....

working hard to get my fill,
everybody wants a thrill
payin anything to roll the dice,
just one more time

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 10:40 AM
Disagree (respectfully). Anderson is a much better defender in center than the 2008 version of Junior. If Pablo freakin' Ozuna was trotted out to left during a playoff run (which he was), then I think Junior can handle it.

I agree...all this talk about different angles of the bat, etc...is b.s. In alot of ways, LF is the least demanding of any position on defense. Jr. has been playing the outfield for over 30 years any challenges he's face based on the newness of LF are offset by how less demanding the role is (less ground to cover, shorter throws, etc.).

Does anyone really want to see Jr. covering CF in Yankee Stadium? Kauffmann? On the turf at Minnesota? It will be a lot uglier and embarrassing for him than LF will be.

palehozenychicty
09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
In a perfect world, Griffey wouldn't be on this team. He really can't play anymore. Nevertheless, he must be in LF where his lack of range hurts us the least. Anderson should be playing over Wise, period.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Agreed there is nothing set in stone until the sox are eliminated. I will say this though if we are down by more then 1 game in the division somewhere towards the end that should be the cherry on the cake of the Sox season but I don't expect that. I honestly believe the Sox will go into Minnesota with a 1 game lead and fight the battle of their lives there. Without a doubt it will be the most gut- wrenching three game set the sox have played in a while.

roylestillman
09-10-2008, 10:51 AM
agreed there is nothing set in stone until the sox are eliminated. I will say this though if we are down by more then 1 game in the division somewhere towards the end that should be the cherry on the cake of the sox season but i don't expect that. I honestly believe the sox will go into minnesota with a 1 game lead and fight the battle of their lives there. Without a doubt it will be the most gut- wrenching three game set the sox have played in a while.

paws up!

kitekrazy
09-10-2008, 11:10 AM
In a perfect world, Griffey wouldn't be on this team. He really can't play anymore. Nevertheless, he must be in LF where his lack of range hurts us the least. Anderson should be playing over Wise, period.

How about Thome play first and Griffey DH.

sox1970
09-10-2008, 11:31 AM
How about Thome play first and Griffey DH.

Thome would break something.

EddieStickney
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Some will win, some will lose
Some were born to sing the blues
Oh, the movie never ends
It goes on and on and on and on....

asindc
09-10-2008, 11:52 AM
working hard to get my fill,
everybody wants a thrill
payin anything to roll the dice,
just one more time

... some will win,
some will lose,
some were born to sing the bluuues,
oh the movie never ends, it just goes on and on and on and on...

Btw, I agree with the original poster. I believe to a person everyone on this board would have taken our current situation if offered at the beginning of the season. Well, we have it. So let's do this!

asindc
09-10-2008, 11:53 AM
Oh, the movie never ends

I just knew someone would beat me to it!:D:

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:57 AM
paws up!

I think we have found our 2008 rallying cry...somebody photoshop something!

Paws Up!

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 03:26 PM
Oh, the movie never ends
Straaaaaaaangers...waaaaaaaaaitin'
Up and down the boulevard
And shaaaaaaaadows searchin' in the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

all*star quentin
09-12-2008, 12:29 PM
Straaaaaaaangers...waaaaaaaaaitin'
Up and down the boulevard
And shaaaaaaaadows searchin' in the niiiiiiiiiiiiiiight

you're a good singer!

streetlight people
living just to find emotion
hiding somewhere in the night

JoeClutch24
09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
Just went to the concert a week ago in Indy!