PDA

View Full Version : Paulie's Injury - MRI Confirms just a sprain...

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 08:33 PM
:o:

He was just taken out of the game.

Where do we stand now?

turners56
09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
We just lost one of our better hitters. ****. This has been a terrible day.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
That's an ACL mechanism if I've ever seen one. Land the foot, plant the leg, and twist. That's how it's done. I'll say.....ACL, MCL, medial meniscus. At least grade 2 sprains in the two ligaments.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:36 PM
Baseball gods are looking down at the sox recently. Quentin, Crede, Contreras and Konerko.

I am still optimistic,but based off of whats going on with the jays and recently this does not seem to be ending the way we all do.

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

He was just take out of the game.

Where do we stand now?

We stand without our starting LF, withour our starting 1B, without our starting 3,4, or 5 SP, without a utility player, without our starting 3B.

Aka not in good shape.

stockonline2
09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
Ruh roh.....

Evman5
without our starting 3,4, or 5 SP,

Which starting pitchers are we missing besides Contreras?

hi im skot
I'm going to throw up.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
I'm going to throw up.
Yup. The injury bug is quickly sinking this ballclub. Oh, well. Them's the breaks. Or tears and breaks.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
I'm going to throw up.

So that's the feeling in my stomach... well what else could possibly go wrong....?

soxstarter
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
so that's the feeling in my stomach... Well what else could possibly go wrong....?

don't ask!!!!!

Rockabilly
09-09-2008, 08:43 PM
This totally suck first Carlos and now Paulie.. thats not even counting Jose.

We are probably dead for this season..

oeo
09-09-2008, 08:44 PM
I'm going to throw up.

I think I'm going to cry. Un-****ing-believable.

I've never seen so many huge injuries in such a short amount of time.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:45 PM
This totally suck first Carlos and now Paulie.. thats not even counting Jose.

We are probably dead for this season..
Not yet, I can't count us out for the playoffs but we are screwed once we get in, just not the same witout Q, Paulie, Crede, and Contreras.... sigh.

gobears1987
I'm no doctor, but that definitely looked season ending. Thank G-d sports medicine is at a level where that won't be career threatening. In the past it certainly would be. I'll be looking forward to a healthy Paulie next spring.

kevingrt
Which starting pitchers are we missing besides Contreras?

I didn't know what pitcher he was. Maybe he was our 4th starter? Just didn't know what number to pick that is all.

oeo
09-09-2008, 08:46 PM
I didn't know what pitcher he was. Maybe he was our 4th starter? Just didn't know what number to pick that is all.

If he was healthy he'd be our ace.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 08:47 PM
I think I'm going to cry. Un-****ing-believable.

I've never seen so many huge injuries in such a short amount of time.
Yeah, this is very weird. Combine that with the fact that the competition is really good down the stretch and the other fact that this lineup will be patchwork the rest of the season, and it's curtains on '08.

sox1970
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
What's the recovery time on a blown ACL?

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 08:48 PM
Hmm. Maybe Nick Blackburn, Justin Morneau and Delmon Young can all suffer injuries tonight, and we'll be up to par.

delben91
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
I'm no doctor, but that definitely looked season ending. Thank G-d sports medicine is at a level where that won't be career threatening. In the past it certainly would be. I'll be looking forward to a healthy Paulie next spring.

If it's an ACL, isn't the recovery time on that 12-18 months? So maybe not until 2010.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:49 PM
If the sox survive this year with a playoff run it will be a miracle.

soxstarter
09-09-2008, 08:50 PM
:shocked:

If it's an ACL, isn't the recovery time on that 12-18 months? So maybe not until 2010.

nccwsfan
09-09-2008, 08:51 PM
Not yet, I can't count us out for the playoffs but we are screwed once we get in, just not the same witout Q, Paulie, Crede, and Contreras.... sigh.

Quentin isn't guaranteed to be out for the playoffs if (when) they make it, and although most people are assuming that Konerko's injury is season ending it might be wise to wait for the final word.

I will admit that this team is getting dinged up pretty hard.

gobears1987
If it's an ACL, isn't the recovery time on that 12-18 months? So maybe not until 2010.Carson Palmer blew his ACL in January '06 and was back on time in training camp the following year. Paulie will probably miss a month or 2 of the 09 season if it is an ACL tear.

Jurr
Most athletes recover in 6 months or so.

delben91
09-09-2008, 08:53 PM

I know with some football players, Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins as an example, he wasn't ready for football drills and contact for about 12 months after his injury. You really think it could be as little as 6?

gobears1987
I know with some football players, Ronnie Brown of the Dolphins as an example, he wasn't ready for football drills and contact for about 12 months after his injury. You really think it could be as little as 6?
I've seen it done in 7-8 with friends of mine who were not pro athletes so 6 isn't out of the question.

Rdy2PlayBall
I don't think this injury will even take as long as Quentins. Paulie isn't a runner, so that won't be the biggest thing they are worrying about. If he can decentley run without pain, he will probably play some. If he isn't effective... then maybe not.

He might have just gotten a sudden burst of pain the leg. I have bandeg my knee so bad I sat on the ground for over 10 minutes before I could waddle my way up. I ended up felling 100% a couple hours latter. You never know for sure.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
I don't think this injury will even take as long as Quentins. Paulie isn't a runner, so that won't be the biggest thing they are worrying about. If he can decentley run without pain, he will probably play some. If he isn't effective... then maybe not.

He might have just gotten a sudden burst of pain the leg. I have bandeg my knee so bad I sat on the ground for over 10 minutes before I could waddle my way up. I ended up felling 100% a couple hours latter. You never know for sure.
If that is what happened this thread will be void but for now all things are looking grim.

seventyseven
09-09-2008, 08:56 PM
Hmm. Maybe Nick Blackburn, Justin Morneau and Delmon Young can all suffer injuries tonight, and we'll be up to par.

The Twins have been without Cuddyer and Neshek for most of the year, and had Casilla and Liriano out for long periods of time.

This doesn't rise to TCQ/Contreras/Paulie/Crede, but it is still something.

Carolina Kenny
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM

Major and I mean major changes due for the Sox in the off season.

oeo
09-09-2008, 08:58 PM
The Twins have been without Cuddyer and Neshek for most of the year, and had Casilla and Liriano out for long periods of time.

Liriano was not 'out.' He's been pitching all year long.

SpiderJames
09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
Lets be considerate, Pauley went down hard but after watchin the replay dozens of times, his knees doesnt seem to twist that much. It could be a thing where it kills today, he cant walk, his knee is limp, and tomorrow, it feels fine. Lets wait for the final word on him which will probably happen sometime tomorrow or if they can find it tonight after the game.

Its truly devistating, when I saw him limping off the field my stomach literally fell out of my a**

And also, as much as Credes injury may hurt us, Id rather have Uribe on defense, and since the break, Credes been awful. His average is below .250

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM
Lets be considerate, Pauley went down hard but after watchin the replay dozens of times, his knees doesnt seem to twist that much. It could be a thing where it kills today, he cant walk, his knee is limp, and tomorrow, it feels fine. Lets wait for the final word on him which will probably happen sometime tomorrow or if they can find it tonight after the game.

Its truly devistating, when I saw him limping off the field my stomach literally fell out of my a**

Hi newbie.

I kinda agree with you. It didn't look very serious at all. Nothing like Brady's this weekend. I'm praying he is out till the weekend.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 09:00 PM

Well, the way the injury occurred is what is concerning. The way those ligaments snap is by a twisting force to the knee while the leg is planted. That's exactly what happened to Paul. I guarantee he'll say he heard a pop in an interview.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 09:02 PM

And also, as much as Credes injury may hurt us, Id rather have Uribe on defense, and since the break, Credes been awful. His average is below .250
When you weigh 245 pounds or so, it doesn't take much twisting to do it.

FoulTerritory
09-09-2008, 09:04 PM
This team is going to win the division. Without Quentin, without Contreras, without Crede and Without Paulie. That is my firm belief and prediction. Here is why:

1) While Paulie was heating up, he is not unreplacable and ultimately this will increase the teams overall defense and speed.

2) This team won't give up. The only thing that combats their horrendous fundamentals is that they have heart and resiliency, and this has been demonstrated by the fact that they fight their way back into games so often.

3) Most importantly, they have NO pressure on them anymore. With Paulie down, after Jose and Quentin, the media and fans will write them off, starting w/ tomorrow's newspapers and talk radio. Feeling like any success from here on is unexpected, they will ultimately relax more and come together to fight themselves into the playoffs.

That is my prediction. It will come to fruition. All is darkness tonight, but that will not last.

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 09:07 PM
This team is going to win the division. Without Quentin, without Contreras, without Crede and Without Paulie. That is my firm belief and prediction. Here is why:

1) While Paulie was heating up, he is not unreplacable and ultimately this will increase the teams overall defense and speed.

2) This team won't give up. The only thing that combats their horrendous fundamentals is that they have heart and resiliency, and this has been demonstrated by the fact that they fight their way back into games so often.

3) Most importantly, they have NO pressure on them anymore. With Paulie down, after Jose and Quentin, the media and fans will write them off, starting w/ tomorrow's newspapers and talk radio. Feeling like any success from here on is unexpected, they will ultimately relax more and come together to fight themselves into the playoffs.

That is my prediction. It will come to fruition. All is darkness tonight, but that will not last.

Optimism. Woohoo!

Glass half full. Woohoo!

Churros. Woohoo!

:gulp:

UofCSoxFan
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM
ACL time is 4-6 months. I slightly torn mine alonge with my PCL in June (no surgery required) and I'm just started to run now, 2 and a half months later. All in I'm looking at about 4 months of reghab. Surgery, which usually is required for the ACL, will add at 6 to 8 weeks to the time frame.

soxstarter
09-09-2008, 09:08 PM

:crossfingers: Hope springs eternal

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 09:09 PM
:crossfingers: Hope springs eternal
Maybe in the spring.:(:

Chisox353014
09-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Please tell me you just returned from the future in a Delorean...:bandance:

Frontman
Hang in there gang. Swisher will now be at 1B. Outfield is going to be patchy at best, if Konerko is down for the season. It might look bleak, but the Sox have pulled through before. They'll get it done or go down fighting.

But, just to lighten the mood, imagine the Sox clubhouse tonight after the game:

Ozzie: Hey! What's this lying around CENSORED?

AJ: Well, what the hell we s'posed to do, you moron?

Jermaine: War's over, man. The baseball gods dropped the big one.

Ozzie: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Alexei: Germans?

Uribe: Forget it, he's rolling.

Ozzie: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...[pauses to remember the rest of the phrase]... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns]

Ozzie: What the CENSORED happened to da Sox I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest September of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst! "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Ozzie, we might get hurt too." Well, just kiss my Venezualian CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this! Sciosia, he's a dead man! Francona, dead! Gardenhire—

AJ: Dead! Ozzie's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Paulie (holding an icepack to his knee) Like faking runner's interference?

AJ: Shut up. And we're just the guys to do it.

Thome: Let's do it.

Ozzie: LET'S DO IT!!

UofCSoxFan

This doesn't rise to TCQ/Contreras/Paulie/Crede, but it is still something.

Sure it's something. But Linebrink/Neshak a re a near wash. Casilla was out 3 weeks tops and is a slap hitting 2nd baseman. Cuddyer isn't even close to losing TCQ and Konerko.

Liriano is better than Contreras but not much if Contreras is healthy. Liariano wasn't hurt this year...he just sucked and was demoted to the minors.

Jurr
09-09-2008, 09:11 PM
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

FoulTerritory
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Roads? Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads . . .

FoulTerritory
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM
Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads.

Oh man, you beat me to it!

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 09:15 PM
Hang in there gang. Swisher will now be at 1B. Outfield is going to be patchy at best, if Konerko is down for the season. It might look bleak, but the Sox have pulled through before. They'll get it done or go down fighting.

But, just to lighten the mood, imagine the Sox clubhouse tonight after the game:

Ozzie: Over? Did you say "over"? Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Ozzie: And it ain't over now. 'Cause when the goin' gets tough...[pauses to remember the rest of the phrase]... the tough get goin'! Who's with me? Let's go! [runs out, alone; then returns]

Ozzie: What the CENSORED happened to da Sox I used to know? Where's the spirit? Where's the guts, huh? This could be the greatest September of our lives, but you're gonna let it be the worst! "Ooh, we're afraid to go with you Ozzie, we might get hurt too." Well, just kiss my Venezualian CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED CENSORED from now on! Not me! I'm not gonna take this! Sciosia, he's a dead man! Francona, dead! Gardenhire—

AJ: Dead! Ozzie's right. Psychotic, but absolutely right. We gotta take these bastards. Now we could do it with conventional weapons, but that could take years and cost millions of lives. No, I think we have to go all out. I think that this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part.

Heh, Ozzie does sort of remind me of Bluto.

Beer Can Chicken
We're a better team with Swisher at 1st anyway. What we really need is our pitchers to return to 1st half form

DSpivack

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter. Skanberg needs to get on this, ASAP.

guillensdisciple

You might be the most optimistic person in the world. Here as of now with the sox losing 6-2 in the second game of the back to back in the past 11 games the white sox have been outscored 50- 34 basically averages out to be 4.5 given up and 3 scored a game.

Here is the worst part if you take away the series against the angels the white sox in 8 games have been outscored 39- 15 which averages out to almost 5 runs given up to 1.9 runs scored.

let me put it to you like this, our hitting has faltered, our pitching has faltered, we have exploded once in a while but that just covers up the fact that the sox haven't been playing well.

If they want to make the playoffs as you so easily say they will these numbers will have to change. The sox have to improve both assets of the game and the fact that both of these are starting to falter at the end of the year does not bode well for the sox.

Sigh two days ago I was slightly pessimistic after that road trip but the sox can't beat good teams that is the problem. They have done well against the west so the series with the angels wasn't surprising but look at the east against the sox, we haven't done well against the jays, the rays, the red sox, and the yankees. Who do we have to play after the tigers and the jays, who by the way might sweep us out of our ballpark?

We play the yankees on the ROAD, to me it all looks like all things are pointing south. NO the world is not ending but the chances of the sox making the playoffs are slim because pitching and hitting don't just come together after almost 85 percent of the year is completed.

Oh and might I remind you we play the Twins at home, the chances now go down even more.

sox1970
09-09-2008, 09:16 PM
Mild Sprain of the MCL. MRI Wednesday.

Good news.

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 09:17 PM

Good news.

Good news so far. We need him so bad come the Twinkie dome.

Chisox353014
09-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Good news.

That's encouraging. Source for that?

stl_sox_fan
Been watching on the DVR and just caught up to this.

Carl shares my sentiments......
http://www.rage-board.com/files/carl-2-athf.jpg

ChiSoxGirl
That's encouraging. Source for that?

Farmer said this on the radio a few minutes ago.

Martinigirl
09-09-2008, 09:19 PM
We're a better team with Swisher at 1st anyway. What we really need is our pitchers to return to 1st half form

Clearly we are such a better team without Paulie...

soxstarter

Good news.

Yeap, x-rays are negative. Little sigh of relief. Still gotta wait for the MRI.

Jurr
So, Herm did an exam, and the tibia didn't push forward. Good news. You've still gotta wait for an MRI before you know you're out of the water. You could still have partial tearing.

It would be huge news if he dodged that bullet.

thedudeabides

Didn't Philip Rivers play a playoff game with an acl tear and was ready for the following season?

wxkid23
09-09-2008, 09:20 PM
This is a nightmare...

Hopefully the MRI is clear and he can be back within a few games. I don't care what anyone says we need his offense.

We have to win this division... the thought of the twinkies in the playoffs makes me want to hurl :mad:

BleacherBandit
Been watching on the DVR and just caught up to this.

Carl shares my sentiments......
http://www.rage-board.com/files/carl-2-athf.jpg
lol, that actually lifted my spirits a bit.

Martinigirl
So, Herm did an exam, and the tibia didn't push forward. Good news. You've still gotta wait for an MRI before you know you're out of the water. You could still have partial tearing.

It would be huge news if he dodged that bullet.

Then some people will bitch that he was putting on a show and wasn't really hurt. You know, the same people who bitched that he tried to play through an injury this summer.

seventyseven
09-09-2008, 09:21 PM
Liriano was not 'out.' He's been pitching all year long.

He wasn't 100% all year long -- he was still recovering from TJS.

nccwsfan
You might be the most optimistic person in the world. Here as of now with the sox losing 6-2 in the second game of the back to back in the past 11 games the white sox have been outscored 50- 34 basically averages out to be 4.5 given up and 3 scored a game.

Here is the worst part if you take away the series against the angels the white sox in 8 games have been outscored 39- 15 which averages out to almost 5 runs given up to 1.9 runs scored.

let me put it to you like this, our hitting has faltered, our pitching has faltered, we have exploded once in a while but that just covers up the fact that the sox haven't been playing well.

If they want to make the playoffs as you so easily say they will these numbers will have to change. The sox have to improve both assets of the game and the fact that both of these are starting to falter at the end of the year does not bode well for the sox.

Sigh two days ago I was slightly pessimistic after that road trip but the sox can't beat good teams that is the problem. They have done well against the west so the series with the angels wasn't surprising but look at the east against the sox, we haven't done well against the jays, the rays, the red sox, and the yankees. Who do we have to play after the tigers and the jays, who by the way might sweep us out of our ballpark?

We play the yankees on the ROAD, to me it all looks like all things are pointing south. NO the world is not ending but the chances of the sox making the playoffs are slim because pitching and hitting don't just come together after almost 85 percent of the year is completed.

Oh and might I remind you we play the Twins at home, the chances now go down even more.

Wow. All this time I thought we were in first place and that the Twins were struggling too...

guillensdisciple
I can't wait to get to the post game thread, this is gonna be a hell of a discussion...

FoulTerritory

I am aware of these many obstacles you mention. Tomorrow, the media will address all of these issue and decide the Sox are done, which is logical.

But nevertheless, they will win the division -- not "easily," as you say that I said, but probably in an agonizing fight to the finish, likely going down to the last series. Now that the pressure is off, its time for them to relax and play ball.

Chisox353014
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM
Farmer said this on the radio a few minutes ago.

Thanks. I'm in the middle of Twinkie country now (worst sports town this side of Miami, BTW) so I generally watch on MLB.TV and not the radio broadcast.

WizardsofOzzie
09-09-2008, 09:22 PM

POTW! :bandance:

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 09:25 PM

Wow. All this time I thought we were in first place and that the Twins were struggling too...
You are absolutely right man but I am not crying or whining about the sox I am merely giving out the clear facts because there has to be some realism out there. Yes the sox have the potential to win the division even if Paulie were to be out for the year but in order to do that the sox HAVE to begin playing real baseball. PLAYOFF baseball, baseball that can not only get us into the playoffs but also win us a championship.

Go Sox!

Domeshot17
09-09-2008, 09:26 PM

I had 100% tear of my acl mcl and 80% of my meniscus, I had the surgery august 30 and was back for the start of my college baseball season early Jan, it can be done quickly if you work hard.

Frontman
09-09-2008, 09:35 PM

I couldn't decide if it should be AJ or Ozzie. AJ is far more like Bluto physically; but I thought it should of been Ozzie for the situation.

And yes, I would love to see this drawn in Palehose 8 as well.

kevingrt
09-09-2008, 09:38 PM

Wasn't he pitching in AAA with like a below 1.00 ERA? To me that means he has recovered from TJS.

swish
09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
More than anything we need his on-field leadership. It is invaluable...

thomas35forever
09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
I'm glad about the initial report and I'm hoping news on the MRI is just as good. If Paulie can get back on his feet, I'll say we still have as good a chance in the race as Minny.

Konerko05
09-09-2008, 09:51 PM
Then some people will bitch that he was putting on a show and wasn't really hurt. You know, the same people who bitched that he tried to play through an injury this summer.

Seriously, give it up already. The only thing more annoying than people crying about Konerko is the people crying about the people crying about Konerko. Yeah.

Rdy2PlayBall
09-09-2008, 10:01 PM
Wow... I can really see the emotion in Ozzie about PK. In out eyes, their screwed... Man, he seemed really .... sad, not... mad.

.... :whiner:

Martinigirl
09-09-2008, 10:05 PM
Seriously, give it up already. The only thing more annoying than people crying about Konerko is the people crying about the people crying about Konerko. Yeah.

And to think, I was on a quest for your approval.

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2008, 10:08 PM
Well, the initial reports certainly sound good. That game was over as soon as Paulie went down. When the whole team rushes around him...it just wasn't good, the park was dead after that. Please get better Paulie, we need you!

oeo
09-09-2008, 10:08 PM

He could have been pitching in the majors long before he finally did...the Twins just chose not to.

Martinigirl
09-09-2008, 10:19 PM
They just called it a mild strain (sprain?) on Sports Night. Herm said it was day to day.

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 10:20 PM
They just called it a mild strain (sprain?) on Sports Night. Herm said it was day to day.

That would be amazingly cool.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 10:21 PM
Well, we'll wait and see.

Noneck
09-09-2008, 10:22 PM

I won't feel better until MRI results are released.

Chisox353014

Wow. As bad as that looked, I will be amazed and thrilled if Konerko is back on the field again this year, let alone in a day or two. :o:

Tragg
Get well soon Paulie.
Good luck.

Lip Man 1
From Reifert's blog:

Mild sprain of his MCL. X-rays were negative but will undergo an MRI tomorrow to confirm initial diagnosis.

Lip

KyWhiSoxFan
09-09-2008, 10:26 PM

You can selectively go through the season and take any small sample of games at any point from April to September and start to draw some possible conclusions, but it would be wrong. They've played 144 games and have had good stretches and bad stretches. There is no evidence to suggest that they will be outscored 5-2 in every game the rest of the season.

If you want to selectively take out games and go the pessimistic route, you can just throw out the 80 games they won as flukes and point out they are really 0 for 64.

Sockinchisox
09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
Jesse Rogers was just on and said Konerko was standing w/o crutches and w/o any wrap on it.

Rockabilly
09-09-2008, 10:39 PM
they all said Quentin was going to be OK as well.. I don't believe it

sox1970
09-09-2008, 10:41 PM
Paulie talked to reporters after the game standing at his locker without crutches. Said he didn't want to put weight on it because he was afraid of what might happen.

It sounds day to day.

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
I don't care what they say about the MRI. After the one tomarow, get another one, Herm.

Ian Kinsler is out for the rest of the season because of a mistake like that.

Sockinchisox
09-09-2008, 10:42 PM
Paulie talked to reporters after the game standing at his locker without crutches. Said he didn't want to put weight on it because he was afraid of what might happen.

It sounds day to day.

He also said he'd be surprised if the MRI came out as anything different tomorrow and that the doctor said it looked good or something.

Konerko05
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
And to think, I was on a quest for your approval.

Yeah, you failed.

thedudeabides
09-09-2008, 10:52 PM
He also said he'd be surprised if the MRI came out as anything different tomorrow and that the doctor said it looked good or something.

I'll take any potential good news right now. If PK can come out of this missing a short period of time, not much has changed. As long as Swisher and Griffey, at least one of them can start hitting, they can hold on and battle until the end.

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2008, 10:54 PM

It sounds day to day.
Wait if Paulie was standing WITHOUT crutches he had already put weight on it!

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2008, 10:55 PM
Yea but if it's just a day to day thing, it's not so bad. I doubt the doc will say "oh you can play on it tomorrow!" But if it avoids a prolonged trip to the DL he'll be in good shape.

getonbckthr
09-09-2008, 10:57 PM
Play ANderson everyday until PK is ready. This won't be like last time where Anderson was some punk kid being given a spot. He is matured and his ego alone of knowing he is desperately needed will carry him. If given the oppertunity this will be the "Rise of Anderson!"

Konerko05
09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Play ANderson everyday until PK is ready. This won't be like last time where Anderson was some punk kid being given a spot. He is matured and his ego alone of knowing he is desperately needed will carry him. If given the oppertunity this will be the "Rise of Anderson!"

Wise will be out there everyday misplaying balls in left field.

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 11:07 PM

Fields could give 1B a try or even Uribe at 1B with Fields at 3rd and Swish stays in LF if they feel the bats are better.

But, there are lots of options for LF at the moment so we won't have to sink or swim with BA...

thedudeabides
09-09-2008, 11:13 PM

Wise made one good play in left and one bad one. He also had two hits. I'm not saying he's the answer, but he hasn't looked bad when he's been out there. Basically, I'd rather see him and Anderson platoon than ever see Owens step on the field again. Unfortunately, Owens will probably play more than the two of them will.

salty99
09-09-2008, 11:16 PM
White Sox website says sprained MCL pending the MRI

The Dude
09-09-2008, 11:19 PM

:chunks

Even if PK isn't out for an extended time, it still will slow him down even more. The last thing we needed today was another injury. We go from a close to 2 month high of a 2.5 game lead to 1 game in less than 12 hours. :(:
I hope we can beat Roy tomorrow.

gobears1987
09-09-2008, 11:23 PM
If the MRI confirms what everyone is saying, then we really dodged a bullet here! This and the prospect of Quentin back in late September makes me really happy.:bandance:

sox1970
09-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Wait if Paulie was standing WITHOUT crutches he had already put weight on it!

When he was walking off the field.

Konerko05
09-09-2008, 11:49 PM
If the MRI confirms what everyone is saying, then we really dodged a bullet here! This and the prospect of Quentin back in late September makes me really happy.:bandance:
How did any of that information generate the emotion of happiness? Konerko just injured himself after Quentin likely goes down for the season.

EuroSox35
09-09-2008, 11:50 PM
If he's done long-term we should sign Bonds. Yeah, everyone will hate the idea, (actually I know I'm about to get killed for it), but those people are just ignorant. If you think no current Sox players have ever taken or are currently taking PEDs, then you are ignorant, no argument about it.

You play for one thing, so I'm all for any extra push to get into the playoffs. Then you'd have a couple of options, if Bonds can't play the OF, then Swisher/Griffey stay there, while he DH's, and Thome plays first (not sure why there's this notion that Thome can only DH, he had no problem playing first in Phil, and only wasn't considered here because Konerko was a lock there). And of course, Ozzie will have tons of mix and matching he'll love so bad defense wouldn't be out there all the time.

Konerko05
09-09-2008, 11:54 PM
If he's done long-term we should sign Bonds. Yeah, everyone will hate the idea, (actually I know I'm about to get killed for it), but those people are just ignorant. If you think no current Sox players have ever taken or are currently taking PEDs, then you are ignorant, no argument about it.

You play for one thing, so I'm all for any extra push to get into the playoffs. Then you'd have a couple of options, if Bonds can't play the OF, then Swisher/Griffey stay there, while he DH's, and Thome plays first (not sure why there's this notion that Thome can only DH, he had no problem playing first in Phil, and only wasn't considered here because Konerko was a lock there). And of course, Ozzie will have tons of mix and matching he'll love so bad defense wouldn't be out there all the time.

No thanks. Bonds has been sitting for 11 months. What makes you think he will instantly be ready to produce in the final 3 weeks of the season?

Another no thanks to Thome at first. The reason he doesn't play first is because his back can't handle it anymore. That's all we need is another one of our sluggers to go down.

There is also the whole argument about Bonds being an ******* and disrupting the clubhouse. Just throwing that one out there.

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2008, 12:04 AM

Jesse Rogers was just on and said Konerko was standing w/o crutches and w/o any wrap on it.

I'm trying to stay positive here, and do I ever hope it's just a sprain and he only misses a few games. Maybe they can sit him for the rest of the homestand, and hopefully he'll be ready for the road trip that starts next Monday? We need him in our pennant chase!

That's good to hear he was able to stand without crutches. All the people around me were immediately thinking ACL.

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 12:08 AM
I will never be happy to see Bonds on the South Side. The guy is a first-class douchebag and wouldn't even be on the postseason roster. Besides, Paulie is not done long-term. The initial prognosis on the White Sox web site says he could be back in two, three, or seven days. The MRI will have to confirm that of course, but I don't think Paulie is done for the year.

thedudeabides
09-10-2008, 12:14 AM

No offense, but this is the biggest grasping at straws theory I've heard. Bonds in left, with 0 at bats on the year, or Thome at first, which he doesn't play anymore, is a reach. Bonds was a great player, but he can just walk in and hit? And the Sox are going to get him out and in shape to play in a few days? I know the Sox have had some bad breaks lately, but come on. I'm not even sure why I'm responding to this. I guess I'm losing it, as well.

chisoxfan4life
09-10-2008, 12:26 AM
Bonds, Thome, and Griffey all in the same lineup? That's nearly 2,000 home runs from 1/3 of your lineup! But no it's not going to happen, although that would be quite memorable it would never happen nor would I really want it to happen.

IlliniSox4Life
09-10-2008, 01:00 AM
Memo to Ken Griffey Jr:

Want to EARN a World Series ring? Now's the time.

Konerko05
09-10-2008, 01:13 AM
Memo to Ken Griffey Jr:

Want to EARN a World Series ring? Now's the time.

Definitely. Griffey is slugging .354 since joining the Sox. Ryan Theriot is slugging better.

He had a .927 OPS in July, so a big finish is possible. Although I'm not holding my breath.

Sox have a better chance of Swisher stepping up.

Yeah, umm... nevermind.

turners56
09-10-2008, 07:07 AM

Glad to see you finally posted here James. :D:

turners56
09-10-2008, 07:12 AM
They're saying day to day, so that's good. We'll have to see about the MRI though.

alohafri
09-10-2008, 07:24 AM
They're saying day to day, so that's good. We'll have to see about the MRI though.

In the words of Ed Farmer, aren't we all?

UofCSoxFan
09-10-2008, 08:19 AM
I don't know, I want to be positive, but I'll believe Konerko's day to day when I see him back in the lineup. In the NFL, a MCL sprain is a 3 to 4 week injury. Granted, it probaby doesn't need to be rehabbed as much in baseball since there is less chance of reinjury, but I would think that at least keeps Konerko out 2 weeks...which at this point is most of the season. That must be one MILD sprain for him to be "day to day."

I hope I'm wrong.

SOXPHILE
09-10-2008, 08:55 AM

Let me think about that for a minute......

Ahhh...NO !

hi im skot
09-10-2008, 09:37 AM

You're ****ing nuts.

MisterB
09-10-2008, 09:50 AM

http://bp0.blogger.com/_MHeQn9gfwcM/RwQPcvIsiEI/AAAAAAAAAN4/2s7bxaNhGUo/s320/Belushi+Animal+House.jpg = Captain Hand?

09-10-2008, 09:55 AM
If he is done for the year, is there another 1st basemen out there on the waivers that we can get to play 1st so we can keep Swisher in Left? The only one I can think of is Sexson who is without a team....any other names?

oeo
09-10-2008, 09:58 AM
If he is done for the year, is there another 1st basemen out there on the waivers that we can get to play 1st so we can keep Swisher in Left? The only one I can think of is Sexson who is without a team....any other names?

We have Brad Eldred.

But seriously, I'd rather move Swish to first and use a combination of Anderson/Wise/Bourgeious in LF.

Sockinchisox
09-10-2008, 09:59 AM
Everyone's favorite beat reporter is saying Konerko is OK and could be back as early as the weekend.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/916445806

Sun-Times story says the Sox are calling it a slight knee sprain.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1155099,konerko091008.article

Trav
09-10-2008, 10:00 AM
Swisher is actually pretty decent at first. Play him there with Fields.

Having actual outfielders in the outfield is nice. Between Griffey, Anderson, and Owens I think they have enough choices for Left and Center.

PorkChopExpress
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
Swisher is actually pretty decent at first. Play him there with Fields.

Having actual outfielders in the outfield is nice. Between Griffey, Anderson, and Owens I think they have enough choices for Left and Center.

I kind of forgot about Owens. I wonder if we will see him in LF tonight. Ozzie is gonna want to load the lineup with lefties.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 10:23 AM
The sox will get Paulie back and be fine because of it. We just need Ramirez to get his magic back, he has come up short lately. The cuban baseball season is a lot shorter then the major league season. Hopefully he can pull through as well as the pitching.

UofCSoxFan
09-10-2008, 10:45 AM
Everyone's favorite beat reporter is saying Konerko is OK and could be back as early as the weekend.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/statuses/916445806

Sun-Times story says the Sox are calling it a slight knee sprain.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/whitesox/1155099,konerko091008.article

Wow I hope this is true. Again, based on my own experience with knee injuries, I will believe Konerko is back when he's back...but this is certainly reason for optimism.

FielderJones
09-10-2008, 11:13 AM
Scott Merkin is saying (http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080909&content_id=3445601&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws) mild knee sprain as well. We will see.

PorkChopExpress
09-10-2008, 12:00 PM
Maybe they have the technology to rebuild him, make him faster.:cool:

kevingrt
09-10-2008, 12:02 PM
I say we sign Barry Bonds like someone suggested after TCQ got injured.

I am joking though.

SoxFan78
09-10-2008, 12:19 PM
Maybe they have the technology to rebuild him, make him faster.:cool:

Maybe his ligaments will tighen up like Henry Rowengardner in Rookie of the Year and his right leg will be super fast!

Red Barchetta
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Maybe his ligaments will tighen up like Henry Rowengardner in Rookie of the Year and his right leg will be super fast!

That was the worst baseball movie ever made! :rolleyes: Didn't the Dodgers use Comiskey II (pre-renovations) as their home field? I also remember one scene where a right handed batter swings and clearly pulls the ball, only to see them cut to the right fielder picking up the ball and throwing it home. Ugh! Plus the whole Cubby Blue stuff. Gary Busey at his best. :D:

As to Paulie, I hope this injury doesn't effect his speed.....

cheezheadsoxfan
09-10-2008, 01:29 PM
:d:

As to paulie, i hope this injury doesn't effect his speed.....

roflmao!!

MisterB
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM

But his other leg would still be slow and he'd only run in circles....

RockJock07
09-10-2008, 01:38 PM

We really don't need a HR guy, we need speed and fundamental baseball players. That's not something Kenny can find on the waiver wire.

Actually, about 2 months ago I voiced my opinion that some Sox players MAY have used something and I was railed by many on this site, and not just members.

As for Konerko's injury goes, it seems like it might not be as bad as the video showed. However, this means more Swisher, Owens, and BA which is scary but there aren't many options at this point.

TDog
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
I say we sign Barry Bonds like someone suggested after TCQ got injured.

I am joking though.

Of course, there are those who might believe this isn't such a bad idea. But as I did after the Quentin injury, let me point out ...

It would take Barry Bonds two weeks to be ready to play in the majors, according to his "people" in San Francisco. He would not be eligible for the postseason.

I hope Konerko gets well soon. I would send him a card to that effect. In the meantime, Swisher will do at first base. I'm no Swisher fan, but he is the best option the White Sox have.

Fields played two games at first base in Birmingham in 2005. Griffey played two innings in seaparate games at first base in his major league career. I think both were for the Mariners in the 1990s. I also would expect to see Griffey at first before Fields.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 01:56 PM
Gary Busey at his best. :D:

"I'm going to pull your endocrine system out of your body!"

ChiSoxFan7
09-10-2008, 01:57 PM

still could be faster....:rolleyes:

fram40
09-10-2008, 02:47 PM
Please tell me you just returned from the future in a Delorean...

the way this season has gone, and as slow as the Sox are, it ain't a Delorean it's a carmenghia

Sockinchisox
09-10-2008, 03:01 PM
MRI confirms the sprain, he's day-to-day.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/konerko-sprain.html

turners56
09-10-2008, 03:05 PM

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/2008/09/konerko-sprain.html

Great news. :D:

Now can we get back to our winning ways?

voodoochile
09-10-2008, 03:08 PM
Great news. :D:

Now can we get back to our winning ways?

First we have to let the FOBA's vent a bit...:tongue:

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:10 PM
First we have to let the FOBA's vent a bit...:tongue:

Well, he does save 2-3 runs a game alone in the OF.

30DaysintheHole
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM

That is good to hear. I hope this gives the club a morale boost from yesterday.

...and thanks for the update!

eriqjaffe
09-10-2008, 03:12 PM
MRI confirms the sprain, he's day-to-day.:farmer
"Aren't we all?"

Law11
09-10-2008, 03:13 PM

OMG I just lost it with that one...
Nice..
:rolling:

btrain929
09-10-2008, 03:15 PM

I figured this was the case, and I said yesterday in the game thread the most time he'd miss is thru the weekend more than likely. But everybody was just oh so sure he was out at least 4 weeks thru the rest of the year/playoffs. God I hate being right....

:gulp:

thomas35forever
09-10-2008, 03:19 PM
Ozzie will probably sit him tomorrow too. Personally, I'd sit him for the rest of the homestand so he'd be ready for New York. Then again, I'm not a big-league manager, so what do I know?

voodoochile
09-10-2008, 03:22 PM
Ozzie will probably sit him tomorrow too. Personally, I'd sit him for the rest of the homestand so he'd be ready for New York. Then again, I'm not a big-league manager, so what do I know?

It's more a trainer and player decision. Once they both agree the player can play then the manager plays them. PK will want to rush back. It's up to Herm to make sure he's actually ready. These injuries can linger and are easy to re-aggravate. At least PK has the best medical care available and access to the best knee braces too. Once he can put weight on it without crying, I expect he'll be playing...

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 03:34 PM
Phew....That's good news...

Give him some rest, don't even consiter playing him until the weekend series, possibly after.

DickAllen72
09-10-2008, 04:51 PM
The real shame is that this happened when Paulie finally got hot with the bat after struggling for most of the season. Let's just hope he's not out just long enough to cool down his bat and that when he comes back he's not like April-July '08 Paulie.

Noneck
09-10-2008, 05:01 PM
He is the capt and the Sox veteran player. He knows whats at stake, The decision when to play should be totally left up to him.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 05:18 PM
The picture of PK on the front page of the tribune sports page showed him lying there and I could not help but notice how caked his spikes were with dirt. No wonder he slipped. Why is it so wet on the infield dirt? Almost looked like mud on his spikes. If he has clean spikes...no way he slips.
Really unfortuante.

Lorenzo Barcelo
09-10-2008, 06:43 PM
This time a year dew likes to form on the grass at night. That could be the reason for the damp field and the lack of traction?

illini81887
09-10-2008, 10:14 PM
‘‘I think he was out for good,’’ Guillen said. ‘‘I think he was that football player, the guy who kisses all the good-looking girls.’’

Mohoney
09-11-2008, 01:35 AM

I would let him play Saturday if he is able to do so, just so that he can avoid getting rusty.

Mohoney
09-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Phew....That's good news...

Give him some rest, don't even consider playing him until the weekend series, possibly after.

Remember that with Crede, Ozzie said that he couldn't afford to wait a week for a guy to get back in. Is it possible that he would say the same regarding Konerko?

Sockinchisox
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
Remember that with Crede, Ozzie said that he couldn't afford to wait a week for a guy to get back in. Is it possible that he would say the same regarding Konerko?

I doubt it, i think that was Ozzie just being fed up with Crede.

sox1970
09-11-2008, 05:05 PM
Konerko will not play until at least Monday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/

BleacherBandit
09-11-2008, 06:39 PM

Konerko will not play until at least Monday.

http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/ (http://blogs.chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sports_hardball/)

It's confirmed. Ozzie did what I think he would.