PDA

View Full Version : Illinois Sports Authority To Build New Entertainment Area in Sox Parking Lot

palehosepub
09-09-2008, 09:49 AM
The Illinois Sports Authority is planning to build a small complex on part of the White Sox parking lots on the north side of 35th street, east end of the lot. This initiative has been mentioned before but now they are moving forward with the plans based on my contact who is part of the project team. Plans include a restaurant, bar, and store (most likely White Sox merchandise) so people will have more entertainment options when visiting the Cell. Initial plans are to keep the "mall" (my term) open all year. Work should begin in 2009 - not sure if it would be complete next year.

Just adds more options, in my opinion, for those looking for somewhere to go pre or post game.

Law11
09-09-2008, 09:57 AM
Im assuming this is where all the buses park.
Guess this means one less lot for parking.

Im for it. Some of the team shops in and around MLB are fantastic. Milwaukee has a real nice setup as does STL.

I say go for it.

twsoxfan5
09-09-2008, 10:00 AM
I like the idea too. I wonder how big they will make the bar. I would imagine it would have to be huge in order to meet the demand before and after the games.

beasly213
09-09-2008, 10:01 AM
Who comes to a ball game to go to a restaurant and shop?
:scratch:
Last I checked you can tailgate and walk to any of the merch trailers around the park, go inside the park to buy merchandise or take a short walk to grand stand.

Plus this now means one less lot area to park in.
Thumbs down in my opinion.

SaltyPretzel
09-09-2008, 10:03 AM
The Illinois Sports Authority is planning to build a small complex on part of the White Sox parking lots on the north side of 35th street, east end of the lot. This initiative has been mentioned before but now they are moving forward with the plans based on my contact who is part of the project team. Plans include a restaurant, bar, and store (most likely White Sox merchandise) so people will have more entertainment options when visiting the Cell. Initial plans are to keep the "mall" (my term) open all year. Work should begin in 2009 - not sure if it would be complete next year.

Just adds more options, in my opinion, for those looking for somewhere to go pre or post game.

Cool, where did you hear this?

Frater Perdurabo
09-09-2008, 10:04 AM
Parking won't be quite so much of an issue when the new Metra station at 35th Street opens.

tonyho7476
09-09-2008, 10:08 AM
Last I checked you can tailgate and walk to any of the merch trailers around the park, go inside the park to buy merchandise or take a short walk to grand stand.

I think its just more of the 'sox experience'. It won't draw us...the die-hards...but may bring more casual fans.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
This is awesome!

I always thought they should build establishments along the entire north side of 35th street from the railroad tracks to the Dan Ryan. Then all the parking lots could begin North of the establishments, which is good for business because people going to and from the lots more than likely would make a stop somewhere there. And because you can build these new structures 3 stories high (city norm), you won't be sucking up that much parking space (build up, instead of out). And it instead of that tacky entrance ramp on gate 3, how cool would it be to build a structure big enough to house a restaurant/bar which included the bridges to all the different levels of the concourses.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 10:21 AM
Parking won't be quite so much of an issue when the new Metra station at 35th Street opens.

Agree 100%, mass transit is becoming people's choice to get around the City (because of gas prices, traffic, outragous parking fees, and don't forget the harsh penalties on DUIs).

They now even have a PACE bus servicing people out here in Bolingbrook to the Sox games. 10 years ago I would have called the idea nuts.
All my friends take the metra these days to go to the Sox games.

skobabe8
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
Wow, awesome! This makes me nervous however because with all of the new entertainment areas around stadiums these days, If the Sox dont do it right it will look cheap. But I am looking forward to it.

LoveYourSuit has the same vision that I have had, where you somehow incorporate the entrances and ramps into the complex and link them via new 3 story structures built on 35th.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
Wow, awesome! This makes me nervous however because with all of the new entertainment areas around stadiums these days, If the Sox dont do it right it will look cheap. But I am looking forward to it.

LoveYourSuit has the same vision that I have had, where you somehow incorporate the entrances and ramps into the complex and link them via new 3 story structures built on 35th.

That is my fear also. I hope they don't half ass it. But limiting this project to just lot A and only 1 restaurant is not the direction I want to see. They need to blow this thing open and do it right.

SaltyPretzel
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM

It would be nice to have a restaurant to meet up for dinner before or after the game. I live in the South Loop and take the CTA to the game, so I'm not going to drive in just to tailgate.

Is parking really an issue? I think the Sox could easily afford to lose some parking spaces around the ballpark.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-09-2008, 10:45 AM
That is my fear also. I hope they don't half ass it. But limiting this project to just lot A and only 1 restaurant is not the direction I want to see. They need to blow this thing open and do it right.

Do it up in a red brick facade and "recreate" Old Comiskey's gate.....how awesome would that look? :D:

KenBerryGrab
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
This is a great idea and quite attractive to Sox fans now living out of town (like me).

Harry Potter
09-09-2008, 10:54 AM
They better not eliminate the Park N Ride with this fancy schmancy "entertainment area" :angry:

palehosepub
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I have not seen the plans but discussed the project with someone with knowledge of the details. It may be more than one retaurant or bar, I dont know, but the complex would have at least those three (bar, restaurant & store) places.

I am a full seasonticketholder who will go to games whether we have this option or not. Usually I just go directly to the game and go home afterwards, and do occasional tailgaing on the weekend.

It's nice to have an option like this say for couples or business associates when you also want to tie in dinner and / or drinks with a ballgame.
The first priority should always be baseball iteself but you really dont have much in the way of enetertainment options around the ballpark, you have to drive into the Loop or Greektown or Chinatown. This project just gives the fans more options and will improve the overall "entertainment experience" IMO.

IrishElvis
09-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Is there an offical release on this. I would love share this with my out of town Sox fans

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 11:25 AM
They better not eliminate the Park N Ride with this fancy schmancy "entertainment area" :angry:

I think the Sox can make a ton more money with the "fancy schmancy entertainment area" than they will from the 50 or so Park N Ride customers. And I am also sure that this being eliminated (if it is) will not keep a die hard like you from turning your back on this team.

Lundind1
09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
I live right next to ballpark in this area and I would love to see more dining/entertainment areas along 35th street.

I have had experience firsthand with the Wrigleyville area and that is just too much. As long as they don't put too much crap in the area, it will be good. Love to see it open year round too since we don't have many options.

In a situation like this, you need to think of us...the residents and what it means for traffic and parking around here. Right now we only get traffic for about 30 minutes after the games. I have seen Wrigley get out and things a mess for 5 hours after the game.

I say that it is about time for something like this. Oh and by the way, never park in redhots lot.....$40 one time I drove to a game before I moved here, what a ripoff. I had no other options because I didn't know that you can pay cash in lots other than G.

roylestillman
09-09-2008, 11:32 AM

Well, I hope its relocated anyway.

I like the idea - Just make sure Sportservice or whatever its called now doesn't run it.

Find the stuff from McCuddy's and incorporate it into the new restaurant. (I recently heard where it is stored.)

Let it stay open more than 15 minutes after the game is over. (The push to get people out of the Bullpen Bar has made that a non option after games)

I will chain myself to that tree on 35th Street if it is threatened! (the last remnant of the old park with the "Resale of Tickets...." sign)

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 11:33 AM
I have not seen the plans but discussed the project with someone with knowledge of the details. It may be more than one retaurant or bar, I dont know, but the complex would have at least those three (bar, restaurant & store) places.

I am a full seasonticketholder who will go to games whether we have this option or not. Usually I just go directly to the game and go home afterwards, and do occasional tailgaing on the weekend.

It's nice to have an option like this say for couples or business associates when you also want to tie in dinner and / or drinks with a ballgame.
The first priority should always be baseball iteself but you really dont have much in the way of enetertainment options around the ballpark, you have to drive into the Loop or Greektown or Chinatown. This project just gives the fans more options and will improve the overall "entertainment experience" IMO.

I think from a business standpoint (sad to say), sporting events have become more about entertainment rather than the substance on the field. As evidence by the Circus on Addison and the Chicago Bulls (post Jordan). The Sox need to step into this new era of Sports and Entertainment. They do a fine job inside the park but you can't walk into the stadium from the inside. You have to sell the outside.

This is what this project will/might accomplish.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 11:39 AM

I like the idea - Just make sure Sportservice or whatever its called now doesn't run it.

Find the stuff from McCuddy's and incorporate it into the new restaurant. (I recently heard where it is stored.)

Let it stay open more than 15 minutes after the game is over. (The push to get people out of the Bullpen Bar has made that a non option after games)

I will chain myself to that tree on 35th Street if it is threatened! (the last remnant of the old park with the "Resale of Tickets...." sign)

:angry: Agree on that. I stay away from that place because of the lack of service and the way they treat you like dogs when closing.

If they build this thing, I want it to be soley operated as a separate business and not the White Sox. The White Sox will make their money with the lease agreement and added attendance, draw the line there. But the business needs to stand on its own and let it serve until 2-3 AM like any othe bar/restaurant. And they better not pull the Jimbos crap of $5 for a can of beer. Prices need to be reasonable or it will become a ghost town.

#1swisher
09-09-2008, 12:31 PM
I think it's a great idea, long time coming. I read that Hard Rock Cafe is opening next to the New Yankee Stadium. It will be open to the public.
This is exactly what the White Sox needed to do. Not everyone wants to attend the game due to cold/rain. How many get the stadium club passes?
Another option for the fans and tourists.

WhiffleBall
09-09-2008, 12:41 PM
How about letting the folks at Grandstand run the merchandise section?

A Sox themed McCuddy's retro sports bar with decent food would be a huge hit during baseball season. The place would have to be massive to
accommodate the massive pre and post game crowds. It would also have to deal with the reality of thin offseason crowds. Maybe they can bring in bands on offseason Friday and Saturday nights?

It would be really nice to have the option to take Metra to the game, eat decent bar food/drinks before the game, and then have a place to go after the game before heading back home on the train without walking to one of the current distant (but mostly good) eating/drinking establishments. Having this option and also the option to tailgate gives us some great eating/drinking options.

Law11
09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
How about letting the folks at Grandstand run the merchandise section?

A Sox themed McCuddy's retro sports bar with decent food would be a huge hit during baseball season. The place would have to be massive

You know the owners at Grandstand cant like this idea of a sox shop.

As for the size of the restaurant - Think Bourbon St in Mt Greenwoood..

hi im skot
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM

I bet Grandstand will still be better than whatever the Sox put together...

The Sox have consistently dropped the ball on merchandising at the ballpark. Detroit does a good job of having a nice team shop as well as selling a lot of game-used memorabilia (jerseys, line-up cards, bases, balls, bats, etc.).

There's a great market that the Sox still haven't tapped into.

Harry Potter
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
I think the Sox can make a ton more money with the "fancy schmancy entertainment area" than they will from the 50 or so Park N Ride customers. And I am also sure that this being eliminated (if it is) will not keep a die hard like you from turning your back on this team.

I would hope they would relocate it. Whether it be 5 customers, 50 customers, 100 customers, it's a convienent way for those who work downtown not having to pay for parking twice (downtown and then at the game (or once if you have parking pass)).

Every year, I wonder if they will bring the P'n'R back since it's not always a huge draw, but as one who uses it regularly, I'm a big fan.

Keep the P'n'R (whether it be relocating it) and I'll support the "fancy schmancy entertainment area"

JungleJimR
09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
It would be really nice to have the option to take Metra to the game, eat decent bar food/drinks before the game, and then have a place to go after the game before heading back home on the train without walking to one of the current distant (but mostly good) eating/drinking establishments. Having this option and also the option to tailgate gives us some great eating/drinking options.

Doesn't a low key, dim lighted, outdoor beer garden with good pub food sound appealing? Especially if it had some good micro brews/Guiness on tap!

MUsoxfan
09-09-2008, 01:19 PM

The owners of Grandstand need this in order to give them some competition. Their prices are a little too out of hand.

hawkjt
09-09-2008, 02:12 PM
This is so overdue. When my buds from out of town come in for Sox games it would be nice to have an option close to the park before and after the game.
When they built Coors field in a warehouse district, a couple of big brewpub/beergarden type bars sprang up next to the new park and made for an immediate socializing area.

Just give me a nice big white sox oriented sportsbar with a good size beer garden and I am happy.
It could do ok during the off-season if that area is coming on like it appears. NFL sundays should be a winner.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 02:17 PM
This is so overdue. When my buds from out of town come in for Sox games it would be nice to have an option close to the park before and after the game.
When they built Coors field in a warehouse district, a couple of big brewpub/beergarden type bars sprang up next to the new park and made for an immediate socializing area.

Just give me a nice big white sox oriented sportsbar with a good size beer garden and I am happy.
It could do ok during the off-season if that area is coming on like it appears. NFL sundays should be a winner.

100% agree. Sports teams need top do things to attract the casual fan in order to gain revenue and remain competitive and relevant. I am not arguing for a full-blown Wrigleyville-type area, but this is most certainly a step in the right direction. It would give me a reason to spend any more time in Bridgeport than the three-plus hours a game takes, and I might just take them up on it.

Gammons Peter
09-09-2008, 02:21 PM
The owners of Grandstand need this in order to give them some competition. Their prices are a little too out of hand.

maybe Grandstand moves into the new location?

MUsoxfan
09-09-2008, 02:23 PM

Doubtful. Seems like this idea would be 100% owned by the Sox and the ISFA.

thomas35forever
09-09-2008, 02:30 PM
Great idea. Hopefully, this'll eliminate accusations that there's no entertainment in our neighborhood as opposed to Doucheville up north. Can't wait to see the results of this.:smile:

Mr.Creosote
09-09-2008, 03:00 PM
Isn't Goose Island's lease up at the (off) Clybourn location?

whitesox901
09-09-2008, 03:11 PM
As an outsider I think this is a good idea, parking dosnt bother me, because usually take Bus or Train to Chicago and Union station is only a block or two from the Clinton Street Station witch I use to take me to Jackson were I switch to the Red-Line to SOX-35th so parking is no problem to me. Second of all, I usually go to Chicago alone so I dont want to wander the big city alone so I usually go straight to the park or hang around Wrigllyville so I can get a slurpee at the Seven-Eleven. So now I can have a place to go before the game for a bit. And it brings casuals to the games which in retrospect can add a little $ to the team.

KnightSox
09-09-2008, 03:29 PM
The owners of Grandstand need this in order to give them some competition. Their prices are a little too out of hand.Yes and yes.

beasly213
09-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how this will be a great place to hang out before the game and after the game and then a great place to hang out during the off season.

I don't know about you guys but I would much rather NOT pay 6-7 bucks for a beer OUTSIDE of the stadium and then pay 20 bucks for a burger and fry.

Especially during the off season. Really who would go to this place in the off season and pay top dollar for something when they don't have to? :scratch:

Nellie_Fox
09-09-2008, 04:06 PM
Everyone keeps talking about how this will be a great place to hang out before the game and after the game and then a great place to hang out during the off season.

I don't know about you guys but I would much rather NOT pay 6-7 bucks for a beer OUTSIDE of the stadium and then pay 20 bucks for a burger and fry.

Especially during the off season. Really who would go to this place in the off season and pay top dollar for something when they don't have to? :scratch:Where did you come up with these prices? Did I miss a menu somewhere in the thread?

palehosepub
09-09-2008, 04:07 PM
Originally Posted by Gammons Peter http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://www.whitesoxinteractive.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2032224#post2032224)

IL Sports Authority is the lessor, they can lease to whomever they want but I wouldn't be suprised if they give the Sox (i.e. JR) some say into the tenants. I would think it makes sense to involve tenants already in those lines of business) - hospitality, retail, etc.

I have been surprised how long it has taken before someone invested in the surrouding area. I have watched over the last 15 years the dozens of new $800,000 homes and $600,000 condos. I don think those folks are eating at Kevins Hamburger Heaven or Taco Erendira. The retail on Halsted, 35th street etc, really is substandard. No one wants another Wrigleyville but there is a happy medium.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 05:26 PM

Especially during the off season. Really who would go to this place in the off season and pay top dollar for something when they don't have to? :scratch:

Simple solution...don't go! More room for me! :cool:

kittle42
09-09-2008, 05:31 PM
Really, I am completely and absolutely befuddled by any notion that this is a bad idea.

SaltyPretzel
09-09-2008, 05:38 PM
Really, I completely and absolutely befuddled by any notion that this is a bad idea.

But they're taking away parking! :rolleyes:

hi im skot
09-09-2008, 05:42 PM
Really, I am completely and absolutely befuddled by any notion that this is a bad idea.

"True" Sox fans don't need to eat and be entertained.

If you enjoy a meal and having fun, go to the northside.

/WSI'd

kittle42
09-09-2008, 05:50 PM
"true" sox fans don't need to eat and be entertained.

If you enjoy a meal and having fun, go to the northside.

/wsi'd

:)

soxfan2504
09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
I don't know why it's taken so long for ISFA to do this; this has been a location that for years has been underutilized and with the potential for producing gargantuan profits if they keep moving in this direction. Giving people some food/entertainment options in to go in this area is the first step in bringing people to the neighborhood, but I feel this should go beyond redeveloping not only the area being proposed, but also beyond the areas directly along 35th. The mere fact that it is a short, safe walk from 2 (3 one year from now) transit stations means that there could be a huge market for housing in the location, regardless of the Sox's presence.

This doesn't mean that I'm in favor of completely redeveloping the entirety of the lots; just the parts of the lots directly fronting along existing streets, such as Shields, Wentworth, 33rd, and the area around Armour Square Park. The parking lots would remain behind the new development, and you could certainly leave the same number of access points. This would also keep people in the immediate area that could support the bars/restaurants/entertainment areas along 35th during the offseason.

To me, Armour Square Park looks a little ridiculous being surrounded on three sides by parking lots, whether from the ground or from an aerial view. Doing something like this could help make it into a vibrant place 24/7/365. Not a Fratboy-ville :o: (I'd have to shoot myself if it ever happened), but certainly an area that would bring in the casual fans, and more importantly, a ton more $$$$$ for the Sox to spend on to win more World Series.

Hitmen77
09-09-2008, 09:12 PM

Never, ever underestimate some Sox fans ability to complain about something.

Hitmen77
09-09-2008, 09:13 PM

I don't want Park N Ride to go either. Hopefully the Sox will just make it available in another sector of the parking lot.

nccwsfan
09-09-2008, 09:29 PM
This is a great idea! Being someone who makes the trip up to Chicago every season to catch a few games this will be a wonderful place to meet up with friends and have a few beers before walking into the ballpark. The only way I get to and from the Cell is the Red Line, so even better!

It's been a long time coming and I am optimistic that this will be done right. :bandance:

nccwsfan
09-09-2008, 09:32 PM
I bet Grandstand will still be better than whatever the Sox put together...

The Sox have consistently dropped the ball on merchandising at the ballpark. Detroit does a good job of having a nice team shop as well as selling a lot of game-used memorabilia (jerseys, line-up cards, bases, balls, bats, etc.).

There's a great market that the Sox still haven't tapped into.

I really hope the White Sox brass read the above post- this statement is right on the mark. I'd personally shell out some $$$ for some authentic lineup cards, and I'm probably not alone in that thinking.

MCHSoxFan
09-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Not a big fan of it. I hope the area will not be hurt. People should really walk around the area to see what Bridgeport has. For real. The wings place on 35th, O'Malley's on 35th/Union, 35th Red Hots (My block on Normal by lot G), Jimbos (Duh lol), Parkside Cafe (33rd/Shields next to Jimbos), and all the other places that people really know about. FYI, you guys should really go to 31st/Wells (By Shell gas) to Jeanies. REALLY GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE. Credit cards and bar. Jeanie is always there, lives in the are, actually right by me, and will even hook you up with good seats @ face price. She has had 131 and 536 before. I got 536 row 3 for Sox/Sox for $32/piece. TRY IT. For these reasons, and even more, I do not want that new place where Lot B is. All you have to do is get out of there area right on 35th/Shields or the parking lots and you will see a lot of good stuff in the area THAT IS ALREADY A PART OF IT!!!

hi im skot
09-09-2008, 10:34 PM
Not a big fan of it. I hope the area will not be hurt. People should really walk around the area to see what Bridgeport has. For real. The wings place on 35th, O'Malley's on 35th/Union, 35th Red Hots (My block on Normal by lot G), Jimbos (Duh lol), Parkside Cafe (33rd/Shields next to Jimbos), and all the other places that people really know about. FYI, you guys should really go to 31st/Wells (By Shell gas) to Jeanies. REALLY GOOD FOOD AND SERVICE. Credit cards and bar. Jeanie is always there, lives in the are, actually right by me, and will even hook you up with good seats @ face price. She has had 131 and 536 before. I got 536 row 3 for Sox/Sox for $32/piece. TRY IT. For these reasons, and even more, I do not want that new place where Lot B is. All you have to do is get out of there area right on 35th/Shields or the parking lots and you will see a lot of good stuff in the area THAT IS ALREADY A PART OF IT!!!

Fun sucks, progress sucks, etc.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Fun sucks, progress sucks, etc.

Amen. Bridgeport supporters need to realize that the area, compared to places that people in the City actually go out to, including the south loop, stinks.

#1swisher
09-09-2008, 11:22 PM

I do walk /know bridgeport...why is it you never mention Ricobene's?

chisoxmike
09-10-2008, 01:46 AM
Thank God. I like Mitchel's or Puffers...whatever you want to call it. I like the wing place. I like Shaller's. But rarely I'll "hang out" after game. If I do, I'll head over to Mitchel's, but the night will take me somewhere else.

When people are talking about a place to eat and drink before and after a game, they're aren't talking about 35th Street Red Hots or O'Malley's.

This is LONG overdue. I welcome the addition. No way do I want a Clark & Addison playground, but a sports bar across the street with good bar food and a "scene" is long overdue in my book.

hawkjt
09-10-2008, 02:11 AM
The neighborhood places will still get their regulars that have always gone there but this new spot would keep folks around that normally just get on the red line and go elsewhere. Fans that do not want to fight the huge crowds on the trains will go for a beer and let the crowd settle.
And there could be synergy where it changes the behavior of fans over time where they start out there and then go to a neighborhood spot to bar hop a bit.
Sometimes it takes a in-your-face effort to get fans to re-consider their habits. As gas gets even more expensive fans on foot will increase. That means drinking without worrying about driving.. All good.

nasox
09-10-2008, 03:55 AM
The neighborhood places will still get their regulars that have always gone there but this new spot would keep folks around that normally just get on the red line and go elsewhere. Fans that do not want to fight the huge crowds on the trains will go for a beer and let the crowd settle.
And there could be synergy where it changes the behavior of fans over time where they start out there and then go to a neighborhood spot to bar hop a bit.
Sometimes it takes a in-your-face effort to get fans to re-consider their habits. As gas gets even more expensive fans on foot will increase. That means drinking without worrying about driving.. All good.

Yeah, I don't want to fight the crowds on the El. So let's fight the crowds at a really crowded sports bar where everybody else is going to instead! Yeah!

Ok, well, I like the idea, but they need to be on top of the pre and post game rush. They'll need a good manager and staff. Voodoo can chime in on this.

MrRoboto83
09-10-2008, 08:04 AM
Eliminating more parking is going to raise the price of Season Parking Passes big time, I bet they raise the price from $16 a game to $20 in one seasons time.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 09:17 AM
Eliminating more parking is going to raise the price of Season Parking Passes big time, I bet they raise the price from $16 a game to $20 in one seasons time.

That's inevitable, anyway.

Luke
09-10-2008, 10:09 AM
The entertainment near the ballpark concept is not unique to Wrigley. Many if not most MLB parks have options in the immediate vicinity. I think the team will be very cognizant of the fact that no one wants another Wrigleyville. Still, the casual fan makes up a healthy chunk of ball park attendance these days. If the casual fan wants dining and entertainment right near the park, then it might be wise to listen.

With all the improvements to the park the one thing people still like to knock is the fact that there isn't enough entertainment nearby. Most people here know that when someone writes that they're either misinformed, or outright lying, but it still drives perception. If this development changes perception a little bit, and puts more butts in seats, and those butts amount to even a slight boost in payroll, well then I'm for it.

SoxFan78
09-10-2008, 11:01 AM
I do like the fact that they are bringing in more resturants/shops near Comsikey. I just hope that they don't relocate all of the lots near the stadium in order to do so.

I love the aspect of tailgating before games, and I would rather not park a couple blocks away to tailgate like they do for the Bears.

Just being selfish I guess.

TomBradley72
09-10-2008, 11:46 AM
We have boatloads of parking spots...eliminating some for retail/restaurant makes sense for the White Sox and for the Illinois Sports Authority. I've been to many of the ballparks around the country...no one wants to walk 3-5 blocks to find a bar/restaurant to hang out at before/after games.

Hopefully...this will be a huge success and spur development of other options around the ballpark.

Sargeant79
09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
One of the things that makes Bridgeport a great neighborhood is that it is still one of the more affordable yet, dare I say, nice neighborhoods in the city. I used to live there and in Canaryville. (By the way...you want to discuss substandard retail, Canaryville's is pretty much non-existent). The flood gates have already opened in terms of the real estate explosion there in the last several years. But I really think both neighborhoods have enough grassroots community organization and longtime multi-generational residents to retain most of it's character despite some change.

But here's the thing: I and many other longtime residents may love Schaller's, Puffer's, Kelly's, Cobblestone's, Erendira, Freddie's, or and any one of the other neighborhood bars/restaurants that cater to the shot and a beer or neighborhood crowd. But there are a lot of people who are Sox fans that aren't from the neighborhood and have money to spend that don't. The new development will cater to the people who have historically complained about the lack of any options in the area and don't live anywhere nearby. Local bars/restaurants won't likely be losing much because the type of people who will start going to the new place are likely not the same segment that patronizes their businesses. The local residents may occasionally go there after the games or what not, but most of the people who go to the local places do so because they prefer that atmosphere. They will likely keep going there.

All this does for the residents is provide options to those who do want a change of pace from time to time, while simultaneously giving the team a way to keep people spending money when they would have gone to do it elsewhere had the development not been there.

Chilli Palmer
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM

Jeannes is going out of business.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 01:59 PM
Jeannes is going out of business.

I don't know how. They took CREDIT CARDS!!!

Chilli Palmer
09-10-2008, 02:08 PM
I don't know how. They took CREDIT CARDS!!!

:rolling:

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2008, 03:16 PM

I think people are looking for something directly on 35th from the railroad tracks to the Ryan. We have nothing directly across the street from the park. America is lazy and walking past your car to get to a bar is a No No. Might as well jump in your car at that point.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 03:17 PM
I think people are looking for something directly on 35th from the railroad tracks to the Ryan. We have nothing directly across the street from the park. America is lazy and walking past your car to get to a bar is a No No. Might as well jump in your car at that point.

Hey, you have to cater to your crowd!

LoveYourSuit
09-10-2008, 03:41 PM
Another idea of where I think a good location for a strip of bars and restaurants would be is where the player parking lot is located behind LF.

Making the structure stadium tall and as close to the edge of the street as possible so that all that Dan Ryan traffic can see it. Sort off like the Streets of Woodfield. That entertainment complex has a ton of exposure coming from the highway, but the highway runs a bit above the street level making it easier for traffic to see the place. For this reason you would have to build our complex as close to the edge on Wentworth as possible and perhaps as tall as the stadium back wall. With signs and lights, no one can miss it. The player's parking lot I would re-locate to right behind home plate where the VIP folks already park.

nasox
09-10-2008, 04:24 PM
I don't know of any renderings or anything, but if they do chose to use brick, I hope they use old, weathered brick instead of brand new stuff. It would look sweet.

MrRoboto83
09-10-2008, 05:03 PM
I don't know of any renderings or anything, but if they do chose to use brick, I hope they use old, weathered brick instead of brand new stuff. It would look sweet.

They'll probably throw up a Morton metal building. :D:

cbotnyse
09-10-2008, 05:46 PM
This is fantasic. I hope they do it right and not cheap. Its embarassing that the area surrpounding the cell has no options to eat or drink.

soxnut67
09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
But here's the thing: I and many other longtime residents may love Schaller's, Puffer's, Kelly's, Cobblestone's, Erendira, Freddie's, or and any one of the other neighborhood bars/restaurants that cater to the shot and a beer or neighborhood crowd. But there are a lot of people who are Sox fans that aren't from the neighborhood and have money to spend that don't. The new development will cater to the people who have historically complained about the lack of any options in the area and don't live anywhere nearby. Local bars/restaurants won't likely be losing much because the type of people who will start going to the new place are likely not the same segment that patronizes their businesses. The local residents may occasionally go there after the games or what not, but most of the people who go to the local places do so because they prefer that atmosphere. They will likely keep going there.

All this does for the residents is provide options to those who do want a change of pace from time to time, while simultaneously giving the team a way to keep people spending money when they would have gone to do it elsewhere had the development not been there.

I agree, the establishments that are there are really not ones that I would feel comfortable going in because I feel that I am invading on their neighborhood. something right across the ballpark is perfect.

fox23
09-10-2008, 06:06 PM

I would also imagine that most casual fans don't even know there's anywhere to go to after the game. I can say that every "casual" (only goes to a few games a year) fan that I've taken to a game would never even know there were bars near the park if I didn't tell them.

tony1972
09-10-2008, 06:27 PM
This is fantasic. I hope they do it right and not cheap. Its embarassing that the area surrpounding the cell has no options to eat or drink.

That's not true..! there's a water fountain in Armour Square Park....

skobabe8
09-10-2008, 06:29 PM
I would also imagine that most casual fans don't even know there's anywhere to go to after the game. I can say that every "casual" (only goes to a few games a year) fan that I've taken to a game would never even know there were bars near the park if I didn't tell them.

"Caual Fan" absolutely defines my dad. Goes to 2-4 games a year, parks in the lot, and gets in and out. He has no idea about any place to eat in and around Bridgeport because its not right in his face when he gets off the Ryan. So instead, he will eat at TGI Fridays or Chilis after the game before he gets back home to Indiana. Plenty of people do the same thing and would spend their money if there were options available.

Thome25
09-10-2008, 06:51 PM
Here's hoping they name the bar "McCuddy's". That would absolutely put the icing on the cake.

doublem23
09-10-2008, 07:21 PM

How important is that, really?

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Here's hoping they name the bar "McCuddy's". That would absolutely put the icing on the cake.Unless the McCuddy family owned it, it would be rubbing salt in the wound.

MCHSoxFan
09-10-2008, 09:57 PM
I do walk /know bridgeport...why is it you never mention Ricobene's?

Um...Cause I said that there are places people know about for a long time. I am pretty sure everybody know about Ricobene's.

soxnut67
09-10-2008, 11:55 PM
I wonder if the building will have any resemblence to one of the concepts the Sox had for an office building that would have been attached to the park.

Anyone have that rendering? I used to have it but I don't know what I did with it.

nasox
09-11-2008, 01:25 AM
How important is that, really?

Actually, it is quite important that the place looks cool and fits in with the cell. It has to look good. If it looks tacky, then it actually hurts the stadium.

russ99
09-11-2008, 05:41 PM
This is an awesome idea.

I love going to Mitchells and other Bridgeport post-game watering holes, but the big turn off most of the time is the long walk there and even longer walk :tongue: back to the Red Line.

Those worried about parking - the Sox could always add a second parking level to a lot if the need got that drastic.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 05:57 PM
Actually, it is quite important that the place looks cool and fits in with the cell. It has to look good. If it looks tacky, then it actually hurts the stadium.

:shrug:

People still come to Sox games, I can't imagine anyone wanting to go to a ball game, but balking at the idea because some sports bar has nice, new bricks.

doublem23
09-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Um...Cause I said that there are places people know about for a long time. I am pretty sure everybody know about Ricobene's.

I don't, but like kittle, I'm a North Side snob who leaves once the game is over. :cool:

kittle42
09-11-2008, 06:00 PM
I don't, but like kittle, I'm a North Side snob who leaves once the game is over. :cool:

Actually, I've been to Ricobene's. If one thinks that's generally a good place to hang out, one needs to get out more.

champagne030
09-11-2008, 06:11 PM
This is an awesome idea.

I love going to Mitchells and other Bridgeport post-game watering holes, but the big turn off most of the time is the long walk there and even longer walk :tongue: back to the Red Line.

Those worried about parking - the Sox could always add a second parking level to a lot if the need got that drastic.

You do realize how much it would cost to build a parking deck/second level?

I like the idea, but during near sellout games they are already past their parking capacity. They cannot eliminate too many spots or the area surrounding the stadium will be up in arms with all the increased traffic scavenging for parking spots or worse - using their friends' parking stickers to take away the residents' parking spots. Just sayin' they need to think how much parking they really want to take away.....

tony1972
09-11-2008, 07:44 PM

I like the idea, but during near sellout games they are already past their parking capacity. They cannot eliminate too many spots or the area surrounding the stadium will be up in arms with all the increased traffic scavenging for parking spots or worse - using their friends' parking stickers to take away the residents' parking spots. Just sayin' they need to think how much parking they really want to take away.....

Don't forget the Metra is SUPPOSED to stop at 35th next year.. I know a lot of people who live along the Rock Island (Beverly, Midlothian, Oak Forest, Tinley, New Lenox and so on) who currently drive to games..but plan on taking the train if this becomes a reality...

This might lower the need for so much parking..

champagne030
09-11-2008, 10:03 PM
Don't forget the Metra is SUPPOSED to stop at 35th next year.. I know a lot of people who live along the Rock Island (Beverly, Midlothian, Oak Forest, Tinley, New Lenox and so on) who currently drive to games..but plan on taking the train if this becomes a reality...

When people from New Lenox and so on realize that their trip is an 1:40 each way, without express trains, they'll be driving after looking at the schedule.

kittle42
09-11-2008, 10:23 PM

Screw 'em. Wanna know how hard it is to deal with parking restrictions and live in a ballpark neighborhood? Move up here.

MUsoxfan
09-11-2008, 10:32 PM
Screw 'em. Wanna know how hard it is to deal with parking restrictions and live in a ballpark neighborhood? Move up here.

Agreed. Many Sox fans have this impression that there are 39,000 parking spots, thus drive to the game. Many Cubs fans have the idea that there are 0 parking spots, so they utilize public transport. It couldn't hurt for a few more people to use other modes of transport to get to Sox games.

roylestillman
09-12-2008, 12:47 PM

Next year??? Metra is on Year 4 of renovating an existing station at 99th Street on the Rock Island. If they get the shovel in the ground by next year it will be a miracle.