PDA

View Full Version : Call me crazy, but ....

Moses_Scurry
09-09-2008, 08:41 AM
I think I most want the Sox to play the Angels in the first round (assuming they make it, of course). Here are my reasons:

1. The Redcubs are the defending champs and starting to heat up. Plus, they are very tough to beat in the Urinal II.

2. The Angels have had their division wrapped up for about 3 months now. They will have the "going through the motions" syndrome that destroyed the 2000 Sox.

3. I wasn't particularly impressed with the Angels this past weekend. Outside of Lackey, none of their starters are head and shoulders above the Sox starters, especially since Clayton doesn't pitch in the playoffs. The Tampa and Boston rotations scare me more.

4. Their lineup isn't that impressive. Outside of Teixera, it's pretty much the same lineup that the Sox shut down three years ago. Vlad was awful in that series.

5. Nothing would please me more than to see K-douche blow a critical game against the Sox in the ALDS. He is not the best closer in the AL. I would rather the Sox have to face him than Papeldouche.

Those are my reasons. Unfortunately, it will be pretty tough to get the situation right. Either Minnesota will have to get the wildcard with the AL east winner passing the angels (unlikely), or the Sox will have to get the wildcard with the Angels having the best record (unlikely), or an AL west team will have to win the wildcard (impossible).

Mohoney
09-09-2008, 08:50 AM
I want no part of the Rays.

Law11
09-09-2008, 09:00 AM
If it goes down to the last weekend which it could our rotation might wind up with Danks or Floyd as the game 1 starter you just never know how it plays out.

Just get us there and worry about the who and how then.

Madvora
09-09-2008, 09:34 AM
Don't forget that the Red Sox were the defending champs in 2005 too and we beat the crap out of them then.
Anything can happen in the playoffs.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 09:40 AM

I am a complete 180 on that.

1. In-experience factor compared to the other 2 clubs.
2. Team can't draw flies, we can easily steal 30% of the gate for those games compared to the other two clubs
3. That bullpen is starting to show its true colors.

doublem23
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM

Obviously haven't been following them the last couple of weeks.

I want the Sox to make the play-offs. After that, it's gravy.

oeo
09-09-2008, 09:56 AM

I want the Rays, then Angels. I think that's our easiest path to the World Series.

The Red Sox are the one team that scares me.

Moses_Scurry
09-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Don't forget that the Red Sox were the defending champs in 2005 too and we beat the crap out of them then.
Anything can happen in the playoffs.

I think this years Sawx are better than the 2005 Sawx. They don't seem to be limping through the end of the year as much. I suppose that could change in the next month though.

The Angels are coasting in neutral, and we as Sox fans know what happens to teams that coast in neutral.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
I think this years Sawx are better than the 2005 Sawx. They don't seem to be limping through the end of the year as much. I suppose that could change in the next month though.

The Angels are coasting in neutral, and we as Sox fans know what happens to teams that coast in neutral.

I still think the Angels are the most complete club of them all, by evidence of their ability to win on the road.

We need to steal 1 of the 2 games on the road or else we have no shot. Here is my order of preference:

1. TB - I think we can win there as we have done in the past, that 4 game series in late May was complete fluke as you recall we lost 2 of 3 via the walk off and "Walker Ball" was in full force that series. We couldn't hit for ****. We can also steal about 30% of the tickets because of lack of fan support for the Rays. Home Crowd advantage will not be a factor.

2. ANA - The crowd there is not intimidating. We won there in 2005 and split 4 games this year. We could also probably find a way to get a 5-10% crowd factor there because of all the White Sox support in the OC.

3. BOS - Perhaps the most hostile environment in all of baseball, will be lucky if we even find .5% crowd factor in our favor compared to their 30% they will more than likely take from us in a game 3. Don't be fooled by 2005, that team of theirs had ZERO pitching and starting on the road vs us was very tough for them. And good luck finding El Duque magic once again, we had no business winning that game.

bnlfanmatt
09-09-2008, 10:43 AM
You are crazy. The way it looks now, the Red Sox and Rays will both make the playoffs, and the AL Central winner will have to play the Rays, and Red Sox-Angels will be the other matchup. The only way the Sox will play the Angels is if the Twins and White Sox both make it, meaning that the Twins have to make up 7 games on the Red Sox in a month, and even then Sox playing the Angels will depend on records.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
You are crazy. The way it looks now, the Red Sox and Rays will both make the playoffs, and the AL Central winner will have to play the Rays, and Red Sox-Angels will be the other matchup. The only way the Sox will play the Angels is if the Twins and White Sox both make it, meaning that the Twins have to make up 7 games on the Red Sox in a month, and even then Sox playing the Angels will depend on records.

I would go with the Red Sox first round because if we can't beat them in 5 we DEFINITELY can't beat them in 7 so why not get that out of the way and see where we can go from there.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM

I have a bad feeling the Rays will not hold on to the Division.

We will be going to Boston.:(:

bnlfanmatt
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I have a bad feeling the Rays will not hold on to the Division.

We will be going to Boston.:(:

Ahhh yes, my post assumes the Rays win the division, which is looking less and less like a certainty.

PennStater98r
09-09-2008, 11:00 AM
That TB team is not the same team that beat our butts throughout the year.

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 11:28 AM
It's out of our hands to a large extent and also highly unlikely we will play the Angels in the first round.

Boston and TB cannot meet in the first round, so Minnesota would have to go on a big time tear and probably sweep TB in their four game set in TB to make the WC for this to happen.

The Sox will play either Boston or TB in the opening round depending on how they finish...

KyWhiSoxFan
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
At this juncture, the Sox would likely face Boston. I don't believe the Rays will hold onto the division lead.

That said, a complete collapse by the Rays cannot be ruled out. It may not be likely, but we still don't know how they will respond to real pressure in September. If they get swept in Boston, the Sox want one of two things to happen next: A sweep by Minnesota or a sweep by the Rays.

If Minny sweeps the Rays, I think that means they are done and the wild card comes from the Central.

A sweep by the Rays bodes well for the WSox, but I think still puts them in the position they would likely face Boston.

If the WSox do face the Rays, I like that matchup a lot more than against Boston.

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 11:42 AM
It's out of our hands to a large extent and also highly unlikely we will play the Angels in the first round.

Boston and TB cannot meet in the first round, so Minnesota would have to go on a big time tear and probably sweep TB in their four game set in TB to make the WC for this to happen.

The Sox will play either Boston or TB in the opening round depending on how they finish...

That said, anyone wishing us to play Boston over TB is completely insane.

Cheer loud and hard for TB to hold on!!!

LoveYourSuit
09-09-2008, 11:46 AM
At this juncture, the Sox would likely face Boston. I don't believe the Rays will hold onto the division lead.

That said, a complete collapse by the Rays cannot be ruled out. It may not be likely, but we still don't know how they will respond to real pressure in September. If they get swept in Boston, the Sox want one of two things to happen next: A sweep by Minnesota or a sweep by the Rays.

If Minny sweeps the Rays, I think that means they are done and the wild card comes from the Central.

A sweep by the Rays bodes well for the WSox, but I think still puts them in the position they would likely face Boston.

If the WSox do face the Rays, I like that matchup a lot more than against Boston.

It's almost like picking your poison. Cheer hard for a Tampa collapse including the Twins seeping them which could in turn keep us from winning the Division or not even making the play offs, perioid.

I think at this point we just need to worry about getting in, and play whoever. Beggers should not be choosers.

whitesox901
09-09-2008, 03:15 PM

I agree, who'd a imagined the day when fans dont want there team to play Tampa! :o: