PDA

View Full Version : One last Cubs thread of dislike

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 01:34 AM
Alright here is one thing I have been wanting to get off my shoulders, as a Sox fan the Cubs TEAM doesn't madden me nor does the organization. The only reason I have come to hate the cubs is because of the majority of the fans they have going to the games and walking around the city.

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago which is as most Sox fans know Cubs central. I am probably one of the few that proudly show my White Sox pride and I have been insulted numerous times.

Here is a recent example I am driving with a Sox hat, a sox shirt, and a sox flag hanging from the car. As I accelerate on the highway three cubs fans cut me off for no reason when they had plenty of time to change lanes.
Obviously this isn't the end of the world but is it just me or are cubs fans complete *******s and is the majority of their fan base many of the younger fans they picked up because of their 2003 run?

As much as I hate hoping for other teams to lose I really want the cubs to lose just so I could see the fans cry a little. It angers me that the majority of their fans are so senseless and annoying. Yet again, and I would hope this is the truth for the maority of Sox fans... I dislike the cubs for their fans not because of the team. If their fans weren't such *******s I would probably not have a problem with them in the playoffs.

Anyone else share these feelings or am I crazy?

Also if you have any fun altercations with a Cubs fan write it here.

itsnotrequired
09-09-2008, 05:49 AM
maybe they were just bad drivers and would have cut you off regardless?

:dunno:

C-Dawg
09-09-2008, 06:29 AM
....and is the majority of their fan base many of the younger fans they picked up because of their 2003 run?

There are definately a lot of fans that just hopped on the bandwagon in 2003; the most ardent Cub fan I know really has no knowledge of their history prior to about September of 2003. "Don Baylor? Who is that?"

DumpJerry
09-09-2008, 06:41 AM
How do you know they were Cub fans? They could have been Brewer fans who stole a car with a Cubs plate holder.

doublem23
09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
I doubt this will be the last thread about us disliking Cub fans.

asindc
09-09-2008, 08:52 AM
I doubt this will be the last thread about us disliking Cub fans.

That was my immediate thought when I read the thread title. If only it was so...

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 09:40 AM
That was my immediate thought when I read the thread title. If only it was so...

Well it is sad that we waste our breath on them because I think Sox fans carry themselves with a lot more integritly then Cubs fans.
However I actually think we need to let this whole thing go because we are better then that and us dragging this whole thing out is making us look no better then them.
It should be a rivalry but not between the fans, rather between the teams.

I don't think it possible though, fans that have followed teams for a long time will always feel some form or remorse for another team.

There is no way the dude was a Brewers fan... had a Cubs sticker on the bumper plate.

itsnotrequired
09-09-2008, 09:53 AM
How do you know they were Cub fans? They could have been Brewer fans who stole a car with a Cubs plate holder.

A Sox fan probably stole the car. I heard that is standard behavior for those south-side hicks.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 10:17 AM
Cub fans suck.

That being said, not everything in the world has to do with what baseball team one roots for, including the reasoning behind someone cutting you off.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Cub fans suck.

That being said, not everything in the world has to do with what baseball team one roots for, including the reasoning behind someone cutting you off.

Ehh I probably over did on the reaction but whenever I am around cubs fans I get that weird feeling that each one of them wants to kill me, and I don't get the reason. I say they stick to their team and we stick to ours unless we play in the playoffs then we can hate each other as much as we want.

Yet again... impossible.

areilly
09-09-2008, 11:24 AM
A Sox fan probably stole the car. I heard that is standard behavior for those south-side hicks.

I learned proper shanking technique at my first Sox game. So many wasted stabbings before that magical night game...

DumpJerry
09-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Ehh I probably over did on the reaction but whenever I am around cubs fans I get that weird feeling that each one of them wants to kill me, and I don't get the reason.
Really? What do you do to bring this on?

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 11:31 AM
Well besides the fact that I am usually decked out in Sox gear not much. I don't argue about baseball because I think arguing with about it is foolish. I guess Chicago has a really big divide in fan hood and most fans take it very seriously.

If you look on youtube and search sox videos there is so much hate from cubs fans and vice- versa.

PaleHoser
09-09-2008, 01:01 PM
I have three sons and when they argue things usually don't get physical until one calls the other a "Cub fan".

I find that most Cub fans who date back to Jack Brickhouse are good people. Once Harry sold out to become "Cub Fan/Bud Man" - the pied-piper of all things Cubs - that's when my relations with Cub fans went sour.

My brother-in-law is a Cub fan. He eats cheese with his whine. He showed up at my son's birthday party with both of my nieces dressed in Cubs gear - pink! Cubs logo looks great in pink. They should use it as an alternate jersey.

I tried to shut the door on them, but my wife wouldn't let me. So my sons needled him incessantly about the Cubs until he cried. Raised my boys right, so I don't even have to say a word.

We had to disinfect the house from top to bottom once they left. It was alot of work, but it sure beats sleeping outside.

Vestigio
09-09-2008, 01:09 PM
A couple years ago, my ex-girlfriend's brother had a graduation party. A couple of her family members were watching a Cubs game in the living room, so I decided to watch since there wasnt much to do. I was pretty quite most for most of the game since it was a close game. But once the Cubs commited a couple of costly errors late in the game, I made a little comment, only in jest. But of course, one of my girlfriend's uncles took it the wrong way. He made a big scene and called me a "[derogatory name for a black person] Lover" cause he saw that I was wearing a Sox shirt. Suprised, I just ignored him and went outside, I didnt want to cause a scene especially at my gf's house.

alohafri
09-09-2008, 01:20 PM
A couple years ago, my ex-girlfriend's brother had a graduation party. A couple of her family members were watching a Cubs game in the living room, so I decided to watch since there wasnt much to do. I was pretty quite most for most of the game since it was a close game. But once the Cubs commited a couple of costly errors late in the game, I made a little comment, only in jest. But of course, one of my girlfriend's uncles took it the wrong way. He made a big scene and called me a "[derogatory name for a black person] Lover" cause he saw that I was wearing a Sox shirt. Suprised, I just ignored him and went outside, I didnt want to cause a scene especially at my gf's house.

I can see why she is your EX girlfriend.

thomas35forever
09-09-2008, 01:25 PM
The Cubs never sold out routinely until '03. That's the sad part about it. I didn't have a problem with the Cubs before then, but the jagbags that hopped on the bandwagon ruined it.

That said, how many more threads like this are we going to see over the next month-and-a-half?

kittle42
09-09-2008, 01:39 PM
The Cubs never sold out routinely until '03. That's the sad part about it. I didn't have a problem with the Cubs before then, but the jagbags that hopped on the bandwagon ruined it.

That said, how many more threads like this are we going to see over the next month-and-a-half?

Lots. Mostly because the Brewers, Cardinals, and Phillies are horrible!

soltrain21
09-09-2008, 02:03 PM
The moral of the story is that car flags are lame.

hi im skot
09-09-2008, 02:11 PM
The moral of the story is that car flags are lame.

:happyguy:

PennStater98r
09-09-2008, 04:02 PM

Your ex-girlfriend's uncle should go **** himself - the racist, rotten piece of ****.

twentywontowin
09-09-2008, 04:21 PM
Ever see a drunk Cubs fan knock a little kid into a urinal trough? I have.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 04:59 PM
My parents are cubs fans and so are my cousins. We are a very close family and we go to each others house quite often. One time I went to my cousins house for dinner and my dad warned me before hand not to bring it up but my cousins are post 2003 cubs fans. They didn't watch baseball until then so whenever they make comments about the sox it stirs my pot like no other.
Of course last year the Sox weren't that great and the Cubs were on a playoff run so my cousin's began with the pestering. I took about 10 minutes worth of blabbering trying to listen to my dads advice and then exploded. This is family based so the profanities I laced out in critique of their fan hood caused everyone to quiet down.
5 minutes later I was kicked out of the house because I was raging mad.

soltrain21
09-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Don't take it so serious. It's a game that none of us have any control over.

Zisk77
09-09-2008, 05:43 PM
Just say, "I'm a sox fan, but how about Da Bears!"...Of cours they still think Payton is in the backfield and Da coach is pacing the sidelines.

guillensdisciple
09-09-2008, 08:08 PM
Oh and by the way what is it that got almost 90 percent of the northern suburbs to jumbo the cubs bandwagon in 03? When the sox won the series we got a few fans but not in that ridiculous amount. If there was a poll taken in the northern part of Chicago that asked how many people payed attention to the cubs before the playoffs of 03 less then half of the northern suburbs would say yes.

Now the northern suburbs and Chicago in general has swarms of them.
From what I observed this year though the White Sox actually have a really good following
throughout the U.S., I have seen more and more Sox fans attending Sox games in places no where near the cell... makes me a happy camper.

chisoxfanatic
09-10-2008, 03:50 AM
A couple short stories:

1. When the Cubs were getting set to play Game 5 of the NLCS, a bunch of Cubs fans gathered in the dining center I managed on the ISU campus to watch the game on the TV they had in there. They were all cocky saying that they were guaranteed to go to the World Series and other BS, so I decided it was my turn to step in, because I still had a couple hours on my shift, and I was not going to have a bunch of Cub fans there watching that game. As a manager, I had control of the remote, so I changed the TV to the Blackhawks game just as the game began and locked the remote in the safe that only I had the combination to. The ISU roller hockey team cheered, while all of the Cubs fans cleared out. :tongue: I had peace for the rest of my shift.

2. After the Cubs knocked the Braves out of the playoffs in '03, a bunch of Cubs fans decorated the statue north of Redbird Arena on the ISU campus as Kerry Wood. They even used a pizza box to form a Cubs hat. It stayed that way until after the Marlins knocked them out, and then pissed off Cub fans tore that Wood shrine down.

Meanwhile, I had a brilliant idea I still laugh about, and so I called up another Sox fan in my building, and the two of us first went to Wal Mart to get supplies, then back to my room to prepare what we would take to that same statue. With Kerry Wood already torn down, we had less work to do! We decorated that statue as Magglio Ordonez (we even used a couple of poster boards to make his "jersey"). In front of the statue, we duct taped a sign that read "Magglio Ordonez says, 'OEO Cubs Choke-O!'"

We had a few Cub fans walk past us throwing us a few choice words; but, nothing too major. It was fun.

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 08:40 AM
It sounds like some people here have anger management issues..........

eriqjaffe
09-10-2008, 09:02 AM
It sounds like some people here have anger management issues..........You needed this thread to tell you that? :wink:

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 10:18 AM
You needed this thread to tell you that? :wink:

I don't have an ager issue, it is just a complaint about how cubs fans work themselves.

But I love the ISU story nice job man, I let them have their glory but cubs fans are really loud people and that is why they are irritating. They don't shut up.

I was on the train and this one cubs fan was babbling on and on about how great his team was completely oblivious that other people were on the train.
Now it is 630 in the morning, not exactly the best time to hear this, especially after a sox loss.

rdwj
09-10-2008, 11:00 AM
Am I the only one that has Cub fan friends and family that don't really ever have any problems? Ya, we throw the occasional jab, but it's all in good fun.

aryzner
09-10-2008, 11:09 AM
Am I the only one that has Cub fan friends and family that don't really ever have any problems? Ya, we throw the occasional jab, but it's all in good fun.
No. I'm the same as you. My girlfriend and her entire family are Cub fans, and I generally don't have problems with any of them. (There have been points where it's gotten annoying but I don't go nuts around them because of it. After the Sox got swept at Wrigley it this year was bothersome, but the next weekend that ended.) There are even a few members of her family that are like real tried and true Cub fans who I can just talk baseball with. We can talk about both the Cubs and Sox in peace and it's actually very nice.

That being said, in the public, I rarely have any problems with Cub fans and I am in a Sox hat almost daily. This is in the NW burbs where I'm almost surrounded by them by the way. It kind of sounds like some people here go out of their way to somehow get a reaction out of Cub fans so that they can complain about them. I don't know.

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
Nope. I also spend a lot of time in the North Shore 'burbs wearing Sox shirts and hats and nobody ever comments on them.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Nope. I also spend a lot of time in the North Shore 'burbs wearing Sox shirts and hats and nobody ever comments on them.

Hell, I hardly get any comments in freakin' Wrigleyville except from drunkards on game days or the occasional "witty comment" doorman somewhere.

I do think people generally go out of their way to cause or notice these things.

Vestigio
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Well where I live (NW side) I usually get a comment from a Cubs fan every now and then. I receive much more comments than I dish. I've noticed that Cubs fans are much quicker to talk crap about the Sox than the other way around.

I also forgot to mention in my previous post that on Halloween night of 2005, my house was egged by Cubs fans because, from what I assume, a Sox flag was displayed in the front window. Granted, my house may not have been singled out because of the flag, but since my house was never egged before and with the recent WS title, I had my suspicions

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 01:32 PM
I also forgot to mention in my previous post that on Halloween night of 2005, my house was egged by Cubs fans because, from what I assume, a Sox flag was displayed in the front window. Granted, my house may not have been singled out because of the flag, but since my house was never egged before and with the recent WS title, I had my suspicions

How do you know it was Cubs fans?
No houses ever get egged on Halloween?

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 01:39 PM

Blue eggshells.

kittle42
09-10-2008, 01:54 PM
Well where I live (NW side) I usually get a comment from a Cubs fan every now and then. I receive much more comments than I dish. I've noticed that Cubs fans are much quicker to talk crap about the Sox than the other way around.

I stepped in the mud the other day. I can only assume a Cubs fan put the well-disguised puddle of mud there.

Vestigio
09-10-2008, 02:03 PM
1) All the eggs thrown were right at the front window with the flag
2) The house has never been egged before.
3) Sox just won the WS

And like I said, this is just suspicion...

NLaloosh
09-10-2008, 02:16 PM
[

I live in the north suburbs of Chicago which is as most Sox fans know Cubs central. I am probably one of the few that proudly show my White Sox pride and I have been insulted numerous times.

Here is a recent example I am driving with a Sox hat, a sox shirt, and a sox flag hanging from the car. As I accelerate on the highway three cubs fans cut me off for no reason when they had plenty of time to change lanes.

They were just pissed because I just cut them off. I take every opportunity to piss off flubs fans. It's fun.

BleacherBandit
09-10-2008, 02:31 PM
[

They were just pissed because I just cut them off. I take every opportunity to piss off flubs fans. It's fun.
I'm about a 10 minute drive from North Chicago. get some crap about every day. I've never been assaulted for it though...No eggs thrown at my house with it's Sox flag on the front facade.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 07:14 PM
The egg thing is a little extreme, if that was actually a cubs fan they have seriously reached a new low. Cubs fans never did anything to me it's just the odd vibe I receive around them. I don't know it isn't natural between rivals I am assuming to just be nice to each other so that is why those vibes exist.

At my high school it was a 90 percent to 10 percent cubs to sox fan ratio.. (there was a school pole taken). Before 2005 it was a living hell, afterwards I could breathe a little easier.

Nellie_Fox
09-10-2008, 08:46 PM
(there was a school pole taken).Was it the flag pole? Was it ever found?

DumpJerry
09-10-2008, 11:09 PM
Was it the flag pole? Was it ever found?
It was taken by Brewer fans.

At the Sox game tonight, there was a very passionate Cub fan sitting a couple of seats from me. He kept commenting on the Cubs' score and celebrating with a kid behind him who was wearing a Fukadome shirt.

I bought the guy a couple of beers. He was a Marine on Leave.

guillensdisciple
09-10-2008, 11:14 PM
Alright lesson learned, pay attention to grammar and spelling. Damn I am sorry!
But yes there was a POLL taken in our high school too see which team they preferred, I don't know the number of people who took it but it was 90 percent to 10 so if there was error the numbers would probably be around 72- 25 at best.

Regardless those were some painful years of baseball fan hood, at least in college there is more diversity in fans so I don't have to look at millions of cubs fans.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-10-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm really trying to adopt a more mellow attitude toward them for the sake of my bloodpressure.

I did have an incident tho walking out of Union Station where a women walked by me (I had on my Burls jersey, daughter had her Crede) and she asked if the store was out of Cubs stuff. I just smiled and said "talk to me when they have their rings".

RadioheadRocks
09-11-2008, 12:07 AM
I did have an incident tho walking out of Union Station where a women walked by me (I had on my Burls jersey, daughter had her Crede) and she asked if the store was out of Cubs stuff. I just smiled and said "talk to me when they have their rings".

:thumbsup:

Ziggy S
09-13-2008, 02:13 PM
I stepped in the mud the other day. I can only assume a Cubs fan put the well-disguised puddle of mud there.

Stupid Cub fan moment 11,003? Heh heh heh

Ziggy S
09-13-2008, 02:15 PM

Kind of like a Commie traitor such as yourself? Go back to Russia.