PDA

View Full Version : Rough outing for Gio Gonzalez at Detriot

illini81887
09-08-2008, 08:14 PM
1 2/3 5 hits 3HR 8ER

thomas35forever
09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Man, he's not even close to being ready for the bigs.

jdm2662
09-08-2008, 08:45 PM

Nope, not even close.

areilly
09-08-2008, 09:17 PM

True, but if you play for the 2008 A's do you really need to be?

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 09:22 PM
Billy Beane's seeing what a rotation looks like if you trade your #1 and #3 starters.....

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 09:36 PM
Christ, we went into Cleveland last week with the Tribe being on a major hot streak. We're set to play the Jays, who are on a major hot streak. We then have the potential of playing a hot Tigers team right after this?!

This September schedule is far from being a cupcake schedule. Come October, they should be tested more than enough.

TDog
09-08-2008, 10:06 PM
He shut down the Rays in his second start, winning 2-1. In his first start, he game up a three-run homer in the first and then pitched five no-hit innings. (He came out after giving up a single to the leadoff hitter in the seventh. The runner came around the score, inflating the ERA, although not like the White Sox and Tigers eventually would.)

In his third start, the White Sox roughed him up. Really, they most often do well against pitchers they have never seen before and have a better record against lefties than they do against righties, but no one seems to notice.

People complain about how pitchers the White Sox have never seen before generally shut them don. that isn't true of course. It happens sometimes. It happened with Gio Gonzalez against the Jays and Rays. But not against the White Sox and Tigers.

EndemicSox
09-09-2008, 12:10 AM
He reminds me of Rich Hill...

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 12:12 AM
Billy Beane's seeing what a rotation looks like if you trade your #1 and #3 starters.....

Ah, but the minor league teams are stacked to the 9's with plenty of eggs so Billy "chicken counter" Beane is happy...

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
Ah, but the minor league teams are stacked to the 9's with plenty of eggs so Billy "chicken counter" Beane is happy...

Eggs like Gio Gonzalez?

Maybe eggs like Justin Duchscherer are why Bean is happy, but giving up a good, young pitcher like Harden after losing Haren the year before must hurt a GM, I'm guessing.

ViPeRx007
09-09-2008, 12:18 AM
This can't be FHOFer Gio Gonzalez can it?

voodoochile
09-09-2008, 12:21 AM
Eggs like Gio Gonzalez?

Maybe eggs like Justin Duchscherer are why Bean is happy, but giving up a good, young pitcher like Harden after losing Haren the year before must hurt a GM, I'm guessing.

No, once they actually grow into chickens, Billy no longer has any need of them. He's strictly in it to see the eggs hatch and then to watch the chicks grow a little. Once they get their full markings and can strut and peck and lay eggs of their own, he dumps them for more eggs. A man can never have enough eggs after all, every single one of them is guaranteed to become a chicken...

BleacherBandit
09-09-2008, 12:26 AM
No, once they actually grow into chickens, Billy no longer has any need of them. He's strictly in it to see the eggs hatch and then to watch the chicks grow a little. Once they get their full markings and can strut and peck and lay eggs of their own, he dumps them for more eggs. A man can never have enough eggs after all, every single one of them is guaranteed to become a chicken...
:scratch:

I'll try to subtract the weird metaphor to understand what you're saying. :lol:

DSpivack
09-09-2008, 12:41 AM

:scratch:

I'll try to subtract the weird metaphor to understand what you're saying. :lol:

Beane's a stockbroker GM; buy low, sell high, over and over and over again. This ensures some semblance of mediocrity, a high floor for the team but a low ceiling; they'll go from bad but not horrible to competitive but not championship caliber, and back again.

jabrch
09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
Maybe eggs like Justin Duchscherer are why Bean is happy,

Let him make bets on guys like Duchscherer all he wants...now Duke is a FA and will leave. Congrats Billy - more draft picks. How many 5 year relievers become all-star starters?

I chuckle in your direction Billy.

doublem23
09-09-2008, 09:36 AM
On the plus side, the 2nd homer he served up to Gary Sheffield was the 250,000th all time, so he'll be remembered a bit more than your usual MLB bust.

oeo
09-09-2008, 09:44 AM
He reminds me of Rich Hill...

Gio isn't in his upper-20s.

Talking like Gio isn't going to amount to anything is just like if someone were to say Danks was crap last year. He's young, and didn't even have a full season of AAA under his belt. Give the guy a break before you start comparing him to a late bloomer type like Rich Hill (or career year type).