PDA

View Full Version : Vin Scully says he'll be back next season

Fenway
09-08-2008, 12:53 PM
:smile:

http://www.latimes.com/sports/baseball/mlb/la-sp-dodfyi8-2008sep08,0,7616152.story

some of his best calls

Ladies and gentlemen, the Brooklyn Dodgers are the champions of the world.

"It's a long drive to deep left, Buckner to the fence... It is gone!
“What a marvelous moment for baseball. What a marvelous moment for Atlanta and the state of Georgia. What a marvelous moment for the country and the world. A black man is getting a standing ovation in the Deep South for breaking a record of an all-time baseball idol. And it is a great moment for all of us, and particularly Henry Aaron."

3rd and 3.....Montana...looking, looking, throwing in the end zone...Clark caught it!...Dwight Clark!

Two and two to Harvey Kuenn, one strike away. Sandy into his windup, here's the pitch: swung on and missed, a perfect game! On the scoreboard in right field it is 9:46 p.m. in the City of the Angels, Los Angeles, California, and a crowd of twenty-nine thousand one-hundred thirty nine just sitting in to see the only pitcher in baseball history to hurl four no-hit, no-run games. He has done it four straight years, and now he caps it: on his fourth no-hitter he made it a perfect game. And Sandy Koufax, whose name will always remind you of strikeouts, did it with a flourish: he struck out the last six consecutive batters—so when he wrote his name in capital letters in the record books, that K stands out even more than the O-U-F-A-X.

High fly ball into right field, she i-i-i-is... gone!

and :whiner:

Little roller up along first . . . behind the bag! It gets through Buckner! Here comes Knight and the Mets win it!

If one picture is worth a thousand words, you have seen about a million words, but more than that, you have seen an absolutely bizarre finish to Game 6 of the 1986 World Series. The Mets are not only alive, they are well, and they will play the Red Sox in Game 7 tomorrow!

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 01:15 PM
I'm sorry; but, I find Vin Scully to be one of the most boring announcers I personally have listened to. He doesn't have any personality, and I think that all announcers need a color commentator. This gives me another reply idea for the sleep thread in the parking lot, however, because Vin Scully is so boring that he puts me to sleep.

RedHeadPaleHoser
09-08-2008, 02:08 PM
I completely disagree. Scully, to me, is the connsumate voice of baseball. He's seen it, called it, and when you hear it, it's almost like you can smell the dogs being cooked at the park. The man's voice IS baseball.

Good for Vin!

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 02:11 PM
I completely disagree. Scully, to me, is the connsumate voice of baseball. He's seen it, called it, and when you hear it, it's almost like you can smell the dogs being cooked at the park. The man's voice IS baseball.

Good for Vin!

The voice of baseball is Jon Miller!

Sox4ever77
09-08-2008, 03:15 PM
I'm sorry; but, I find Vin Scully to be one of the most boring announcers I personally have listened to. He doesn't have any personality, and I think that all announcers need a color commentator. This gives me another reply idea for the sleep thread in the parking lot, however, because Vin Scully is so boring that he puts me to sleep.

The Vin Scully of today is a sorry shadow of Vin Scully of even the late 90's. He makes way too many mistakes, has the same recycled stories, and is just plain bad now.

He was great once. He should retire now.

Brian26
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM

:thud:

This is one of those topics that just isn't up for debate. Scully's one of the greatest to ever live. He's an artist with his words. He doesn't need a color guy because he's so good. And on his worst day, he's better than 95% of the MLB announcers on their best day. Not even up for discussion. I'd kill to see Scully and Joe G do a Fox playoff series over McCarver and Buck.

kba
09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
The Vin Scully of today is a sorry shadow of Vin Scully of even the late 90's.

Even if that's true - and I'm not sure it is - he's still better than 90% of the play-by-play men working today. Of the ones I've heard regularly, only Jon Miller and John Rooney deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Vin.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 08:04 PM
Even if that's true - and I'm not sure it is - he's still better than 90% of the play-by-play men working today. Of the ones I've heard regularly, only Jon Miller and John Rooney deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Vin.

Jon Miller is the man. Period. Voice of baseball.

When blackout is not in effect on a Sunday night, and the sox are playing on SNB, I don't know whether to watch Hawk and DJ or Jon Miller, because he's so good.

Then I remember that Miller's partner is Joe Morgan and I decide to watch Hawk and DJ. :D:

TDog
09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
Jon Miller is the man. Period. Voice of baseball.

When blackout is not in effect on a Sunday night, and the sox are playing on SNB, I don't know whether to watch Hawk and DJ or Jon Miller, because he's so good.

Then I remember that Miller's partner is Joe Morgan and I decide to watch Hawk and DJ. :D:

I like Jon Miller. I enjoy listening to him do Giants games. He has nearly the perfect voice for baseball. I had to listen to the 2005 World Series on the radio, and I thought he did a great job with that. I thought Joe Morgan did a good job with the 2005 postseason as well.

Vin Scully has the perfect voice for baseball. I used to hear him on the Dodgers telecasts when I got LA baseball from my (WGN-less) cable system in Arizona. I haven't heard him do any games recently, but he can't be the babbling idiot Harry Caray seemed at the end of his career.

I have never found Vin Scully boring. He worked under Red Barber. The old recordings I've heard of Red Barber make him sound like a boring announcer, and Vin Scully credits him with being his mentor.

Groucho Marx gave an interview near the end of his life, a financially successful one, in which the interviewer asked him who he was leaving his money to. Groucho Marx answered that he might leave it Vin Scully for becaue of all the joy the announcer had brought him. Vin Scully goes back to Brooklyn (where he wasn't rooting for Don Larsen to give up a hit the afternoon of the perfect World Series game -- when Yogi Berra hit a ball that Sandy Amoros would catch in the leftfield corner in the sixth inning of Game 7 a year earlier, he wasn't yelling "get foul").

Vin Scully is the voice of baseball.

michned
09-08-2008, 11:56 PM
We had this discussion in a game thread earlier this year. It seems people nowadays either love him or hate him. I love to listen to him on the radio. You can close your eyes and he paints the picture for you.

I also remember his Dickens quote as he opened the telecast of Game 7 of the '86 Series: "It was the best of times, it was the worst of times." Perfect words for that moment.

WhiteSox5187
09-09-2008, 12:44 AM
Vin Scully can have that job as long as he wants as far as I'm concerned. Listening to Vin Scully is an absolute joy. Maybe he's not as good as he once was but he's still Vin friggin' Scully. I wish every announcer were as "bad" as Vin Scully.

I love Jon Miller and John Rooney too, but they are no Vin Scully. Hawk likes to make people think he's seen it all (and to be fair, he has seen a lot) but Vin Scully probably comes closest to being the person who can say he's seen it all, and unlike Hawk he doesn't have to remind you of that either.

MeteorsSox4367
09-09-2008, 09:22 AM

chisoxfanatic: We agree on most topics (such as the greatness of the sport of hockey), but this time, I have to completely disagree. Having the MLB package, I get to listen to a good deal of announcers who have that syrupy broadcasting school voice that makes them all sound the same (Jon Sciambi, Dave O'Brien, etc.) It's as though they all listened to Harry Shearer too many times on the Simpsons.

One of the best things about Scully is that the man is 80-some years old and still broadcasting. This allows someone like me who is a baseball history geek to listen to someone of Scully's status.

PKalltheway
09-10-2008, 12:43 AM
I'm not the biggest Vin Scully fan (he's kinda boring to me), but he can stay there as long as he wants. He's baseball history in human form.