PDA

View Full Version : Overplaying Call-ups

Chicken Dinner
09-08-2008, 09:38 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Ozzie is overplaying the call-ups. Josh Fields as the DH on Sunday while 1146 career homers ride pine? I think we need to stick with what got us here, and it wasn't a Knight.

WhiteSoxBlog
09-08-2008, 09:44 AM
Well, Friday, everyone saw a lot of action because we were leading by a lot, and it's nice giving your guys a rest.

As for Fields, he was DH'ing because his coaches feel that he's a great hitter. How many times did Ozzie say, "I'm going w Uribe because of his defense. If I needed offense, I'd play Fields"? I happen to disagree, but if we can keep mentioning the 2005 team, why can't Ozzie keep thinking of the 2007 Fields? :rolleyes:

Frater Perdurabo
09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
You have a great point about Thome and Griffey on the bench with Fields at DH.

However, Fields hits lefties well and Thome and Griffey do not. Plus, Thome and Griffey played a 15-inning game on Saturday. So I can understand Ozzie's rationale to start Fields at DH yesterday.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 09:45 AM
Is it just me or does anyone else think Ozzie is overplaying the call-ups. Josh Fields as the DH on Sunday while 1146 career homers ride pine? I think we need to stick with what got us here, and it wasn't a Knight.
I don't know if you were asleep last season, but Fields pounds lefties.

I'm also not sure if you noticed, but they played a 15 inning game the night before.

Evman5
09-08-2008, 09:48 AM
Thome shouldn't need an off day...he had an o-fer until that game winning home run and it's not like he was in the field.

However, I have no problem with giving Fields a chance to DH

asindc
09-08-2008, 09:49 AM
I don't know if you were asleep last season, but Fields pounds lefties.

I'm also not sure if you noticed, but they played a 15 inning game the night before.

Yep, that's pretty much it. Also, we had already won the first two games of the series and the team does not get another day off until Sept. 22.

Harry Potter
09-08-2008, 09:56 AM

It's just you

btrain929
09-08-2008, 09:57 AM

You have a great point about Thome and Griffey on the bench with Fields at DH.

However, Fields hits lefties well and Thome and Griffey do not. Plus, Thome and Griffey played a 15-inning game on Saturday. So I can understand Ozzie's rationale to start Fields at DH yesterday.

There you go.

Do you have any other examples outside of Josh Fields DH'ing on a Sunday against a lefty to support your "Ozzie is overplaying the call-ups?" How come this thread wasn't started when Wassermann struck out Vlad in the 15th on Saturday or after MacDougal threw up his 3rd scoreless inning since being called up?

:rolleyes:

oeo
09-08-2008, 10:06 AM

Griffey should never see a LHP again. People have whined and complained for two years now about how bad Thome looks against them, but Griffey is far beyond Thome suckage (although Thome hasn't been terrible this year).

CashMan
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
There you go.

Do you have any other examples outside of Josh Fields DH'ing on a Sunday against a lefty to support your "Ozzie is overplaying the call-ups?" How come this thread wasn't started when Wassermann struck out Vlad in the 15th on Saturday or after MacDougal threw up his 3rd scoreless inning since being called up?

Because for some reason, people dislike Fields. Perhaps it was his 23hrs last year, idk.

champagne030
09-08-2008, 10:11 AM
There you go.

Jerry Owens has been getting AB's. That's inexcusable.

PeoriaSoxFan
09-08-2008, 10:22 AM
There are some good points on both sides, in this thread, but I agree with the initial premise of the thread. I know it was a 15 inning game the day before, but Griffey or Thome couldn't DH? This is the second game that Fields has DH'd in. He isn't looking too good at the plate this year and didn't look good at Charlotte either, with limited power numbers. He now has only 5 hits in 31 plate appearances this season. I hope this kid blossoms at some point again, but I would rather see the Sox go down the stretch playing their best players, with only 20 games left.

Zisk77
09-08-2008, 12:07 PM
Ozzie just does this so that if we don't win the division, then the the dark clouds and armchair GM's will be able to beat their chest and say "i told ya so..."

JermaineDye05
09-08-2008, 12:10 PM
They played 15 innings the day before, Griffey played all of those innings in center I believe and Thome played all 15 as well, even though as the DH he did seem to tweak something the night before when running so maybe Ozzie just wanted to take it easy. Not to mention the 2 are lefties and Saunders was a LHP. I think everyone pretty much agrees that AJ needed the night off, 15 innings of catching. Should have been 10 after the break we caught, but oh well.

oeo
09-08-2008, 12:13 PM
There are some good points on both sides, in this thread, but I agree with the initial premise of the thread. I know it was a 15 inning game the day before, but Griffey or Thome couldn't DH? This is the second game that Fields has DH'd in. He isn't looking too good at the plate this year and didn't look good at Charlotte either, with limited power numbers. He now has only 5 hits in 31 plate appearances this season. I hope this kid blossoms at some point again, but I would rather see the Sox go down the stretch playing their best players, with only 20 games left.

3 of those 5 came against LHP. Coming into the game, that was only in 5 AB's. He killed them last year, and he's done so throughout his career. And if you haven't noticed, Griffey is completely lost against left handers. He apparently can't see the ball at all, as he just goes up there and waves at 3 pitches.

It wasn't a bad move. In fact, it could have paid huge dividends.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 12:25 PM
We played a 15 inning game that ended very late and we have some older players with some fragile body parts.

Is this post for real? Are you SERIOUS?

JermaineDye05
09-08-2008, 12:27 PM
We played a 15 inning game that ended very late and we have some older players with some fragile body parts.

I think this post is more out of jealousy and envy of the Twins development of young players. Hopefully our system doesn't screw up in developing Poreda/Beckham/Danks/Morel.

EuroSox35
09-08-2008, 12:31 PM
You're not going to play Josh Fields in the playoffs when you face a lefty. Give these guys as many looks as possible. Look at what Thome did on opening day. Griffey looked great against a lefty in Baltimore. A DH needs to rest for a couple extra atbats in an extra inning game? :\ , Needing a pitcher in a game that goes 6 extra innings is different then starting Owens and Fields in big games

EuroSox35
09-08-2008, 12:33 PM
Because for some reason, people dislike Fields. Perhaps it was his 23hrs last year, idk.

Everyone keeps bringing up last year, I was awake last year, was everyone asleep all of this year where he's ****ing sucked?

jabrch
09-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Everyone keeps bringing up last year, I was awake last year, was everyone asleep all of this year where he's ****ing sucked?

That's a nice pair of short term vision goggles you have there.

Tragg
09-08-2008, 12:59 PM
Jerry Owens has been getting AB's. That's inexcusable.
Indeed. He even started a game.

munchman33
09-08-2008, 01:00 PM
That's a nice pair of short term vision goggles you have there.

Jabrch I think the problem is the league picked up on the fact that Josh can't hit a breaking pitch if he doesn't know it's coming or guesses it might. Until he can, or until he can at least see a breaking pitch and lay off, he's going to struggle miserably.

#1swisher
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM

HELL YEAH!!
I understand that the players need playing time...but the WIN always comes first.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 01:03 PM
Jabrch I think the problem is the league picked up on the fact that Josh can't hit a breaking pitch if he doesn't know it's coming or guesses it might. Until he can, or until he can at least see a breaking pitch and lay off, he's going to struggle miserably.
He has problems hitting a fastball but certainly not a breaking ball.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-08-2008, 01:32 PM

I don't think Fields can hit a curveball or a fastball. He's batting .161 with 16 Ks in 31 official at bats this year. He was not a whole lot better at AAA, either. He strikes out way too much.

I don't see why he would be playing ahead of any of the AAA call ups at this point.

BadBobbyJenks
09-08-2008, 02:01 PM
There you go.

Wise playing at all would be one example. Jerry Owens doing anything other than pinch run would be another.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 02:14 PM
I don't think Fields can hit a curveball or a fastball.

I think he has proven that he can last year. The fact that he isn't right now is a different issue.

soxfan43
09-08-2008, 02:23 PM
is this thread serious? Griffey can barely handle playing 3 times a week, no way you run him out there the DAY after a 15 inning NIGHT game. With carlos out guys like thome and griffey are pretty big pieces, can't afford to let them get hurt. We won the series, let those 2 old guys get a day off after a long night and be read yto go today.

munchman33
09-08-2008, 03:48 PM

He didn't have a problem until teams started throwing more breaking pitches to him. Now he's sitting on them and get caught in between on fastballs.

Brian26
09-08-2008, 06:57 PM

I'll let the Jerry Owens debacle slide, but Josh Fields has no business starting a game at this point in the season with the Sox playoff chances on the line. Every game, every inning, and every at-bat count right now, and Ozzie's screwing around.

Noneck
09-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Situations may arise when Fields gets an AB but starting him at this stage of the season when he wasn't good enough to be part of this club for most of the year is insane. That holds true with Owens also. Only a sheep would see this differently.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 07:50 PM
I'll let the Jerry Owens debacle slide, but Josh Fields has no business starting a game at this point in the season with the Sox playoff chances on the line. Every game, every inning, and every at-bat count right now, and Ozzie's screwing around.
Oh please. You act like there's no rationale for starting Fields vs. a LHP he's seen before the night after a 15 inning game.

champagne030
09-08-2008, 07:56 PM
Oh please. You act like there's no rationale for starting Fields vs. a LHP he's seen before the night after a 15 inning game.

There isn't any rationale. This is not 2007. Fields cannot hit **** this year. Charlotte or Chicago.

WhiteSoxBlog
09-08-2008, 08:09 PM
There isn't any rationale. This is not 2007. Fields cannot hit **** this year. Charlotte or Chicago.
Definitely. Just because he was "potential" or he was injured, that doesn't mean anything. The point is RIGHT NOW, short-term, when we need him, he's not the guy for the job. That's not to say that he won't be valuable in the future, but this isn't the time for him to figure it out.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 08:50 PM
So what would you have done? Play Thome/Griffey the day after a 15 inning affair? DH one of our other righty mashers on the bench?

champagne030
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
So what would you have done? Play Thome/Griffey the day after a 15 inning affair? DH one of our other righty mashers on the bench?

I'd have played Thome. He spends more energy on an off day than he did during those 15 innings.

Noneck
09-08-2008, 09:04 PM
I'd have played Thome. He spends more energy on an off day than he did during those 15 innings.

And he pinch hit so he wasn't shut down for the day. 3 more AB's should be no big deal.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 09:05 PM
So he should never get a day off?

champagne030
09-08-2008, 09:07 PM
So he should never get a day off?

Not these last 30 games, with days off, and the replacement is Josh Fields.

Noneck
09-08-2008, 09:09 PM

He can get a day off down the line as long as PK or Jr. DH.

Craig Grebeck
09-08-2008, 09:15 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. The guy hits .229 against lefties.

champagne030
09-08-2008, 09:27 PM
Mountain out of a molehill. The guy hits .229 against lefties.

With a .504 slugging and .830 OPS. Still much better than anything Fields can provide. This is not the time to play a whim, with no basis, on Fields. Might as well bring Timo back to play DH. Fields is brutal at the plate right now.