PDA

View Full Version : Great Column by Lip

TornLabrum
09-07-2008, 10:05 PM
Lip,

Loved your column on Tail Gunner Joe. He's been a gasbag for years and has been called out on these message boards for it. IIRC he threw a hissy fit here more than once and was banned more than once. Great job in pointing out the current crap he's been spewing.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2008, 10:12 PM
Hal:

Appreciate the kind words. It honestly wasn't directly specifically towards Joe, I wasn't trying to single him out, more a look at the profession in general. I just couldn't help but wonder basically how is it that a number of other reporters both newspaper and radio, were saying one thing, and saying it all along, but Joe had a completely different take on things regarding this entire Quentin situation.

It just didn't make a lot of sense to me.

Then I spoke with a good source who filled in some details of some other things that have gone on this season not only with Contreras but apparently with Cabrera too. I didn't want to get into that one though and left it out. It's just odd and bizarre how he seems to have a contrarian take on these situations. Again though it was more of a question about the media itself then Joe personally.

Lip

DickAllen72
09-07-2008, 10:54 PM
At times Cowley seems to have his own agenda and he uses his position to push it instead of just reporting objectively.

He also seems to enjoy printing gossip and innuendo. Frankly, I don't understand why Sox players and Ozzie himself continue to talk to him over and above the bare minimum required for a beat writer.

Noneck
09-07-2008, 11:05 PM
It appears to me by what I have learned from reading Lip's message board comments, blogs reports and newspaper accounts, Cowley is a sofa based reporter. If he doesn't need or want his job, give it to someone that can handle it, Mark Liptak.

Tragg
09-07-2008, 11:12 PM
So what is it - do they actually have some agenda? Or is it that some writers are just lazy, so they guess and write BS, instead of doing real work finding out things?

cheezheadsoxfan
09-07-2008, 11:30 PM
Thanks for the column Lip. I believed the slammed bat story. Knowing it wasn't self-inflicted makes it just a little less painful somehow.

Lip Man 1
09-07-2008, 11:32 PM
Tragg:

I'd have to say it's both...just like in any other profession.

Lip

jabrch
09-07-2008, 11:44 PM
ZERO

That's how much respect I have for Cowley. I actually had more respect for the Windsock...believe that or not.

voodoochile
09-08-2008, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the column Lip. I believed the slammed bat story. Knowing it wasn't self-inflicted makes it just a little less painful somehow.

Am I missing something? It was still self-inflicted wasn't it? Last I heard, he smacked his bat with his hand/wrist after striking out. Did that change?

Edit: Oh and I agree with Lip too. Getting the story right is WAY more important than getting it first.

Optipessimism
09-08-2008, 12:16 AM
Great column as usual, Lip.

Whatever happened, at least Quentin didn't hurt himself punching a fan (the mechanical kind).

WhiteSox5187
09-08-2008, 12:26 AM
That was just a well written article and a reminder as to how things should be done in the media. but alas, it's not. But then again, Cowley works for the Sun Times and that's all but a tabloid, so a tabloid journalist working for a tabloid paper is a good fit I suppose.

cheezheadsoxfan
09-08-2008, 11:30 AM
Am I missing something? It was still self-inflicted wasn't it? Last I heard, he smacked his bat with his hand/wrist after striking out. Did that change?

Edit: Oh and I agree with Lip too. Getting the story right is WAY more important than getting it first.

From Lip's column: "The capper on this strange, bizarre set of circumstances this week came with the news then on Friday afternoon, after the Sox “official” version of the Quentin injury, that Carlos may have hurt himself punching his locker or a wall in Boston that weekend. Joe’s ‘twitter’ notes was the only place, mainstream or blog, where I saw this. Where that came from is anyone’s guess but Quentin emphatically denied that is how he got hurt. Obviously someone saw it and brought it to his attention or asked him about it for him to respond as he did."

This is what I'm going by. If TCQ didn't hurt himself slamming bat, etc., Jeff Paissen (?) owes him a major apology since he wrote a very snarky column about it.

voodoochile
09-08-2008, 11:41 AM
From Lip's column: "The capper on this strange, bizarre set of circumstances this week came with the news then on Friday afternoon, after the Sox “official” version of the Quentin injury, that Carlos may have hurt himself punching his locker or a wall in Boston that weekend. Joe’s ‘twitter’ notes was the only place, mainstream or blog, where I saw this. Where that came from is anyone’s guess but Quentin emphatically denied that is how he got hurt. Obviously someone saw it and brought it to his attention or asked him about it for him to respond as he did."

This is what I'm going by. If TCQ didn't hurt himself slamming bat, etc., Jeff Paissen (?) owes him a major apology since he wrote a very snarky column about it.

Ozzie seems to imply that's how it happened - smacking the bat with his hand/wrist after striking out.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20080907&content_id=3432076&vkey=news_cws&fext=.jsp&c_id=cws

Lip Man 1
09-10-2008, 05:33 PM
This story has taken a strange and welcome twist and I wanted to pass this along.

I actually heard from Joe this afternoon via e-mail and he gave me his phone number and said he'd welcome a call.

So I did.

I found him in the conversation to be polite and sincere and I understood where he was coming from on his explanation of what he reported on Quentin's injury situation. I told him, like I did Hal in this thread, that I wasn't trying to single him out... that it was more an indictment of the medium itself in their rush to get the story first as opposed to getting the story right. Joe agreed 100% with that sentiment that the media's job is to get the story right at all costs.

He also talked about some of the things that took place between himself and WSI and apologized for his comment that was directed towards George and his wife. He had no excuse for it and said it was just a dumb thing to do.

He has also consented to an interview with yours turly after the season to talk about what has gone on in the past and what the White Sox may be doing in the future. (Hint: remember speed never goes into a slump...)

Again given the things that have transpired in the past and the impressions from Sox fans, I thought it was absolutely necessary to pass along the developments from today.

Lip