09-07-2008, 04:53 PM
Anyone see that ending today? This team is pulling a....Cubs

chisoxmike
09-07-2008, 04:55 PM
The Cubs are going to the playoffs.

I want Mags back
09-07-2008, 05:16 PM

kinda hard for them not to. They are still 8 games up on the Phillies if they need the WC

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2008, 05:26 PM
It's quite different if they don't have home field advantage. It's too bad Milwaukee's not looking like they're trying to win their division.

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 05:32 PM
It's quite different if they don't have home field advantage. It's too bad Milwaukee's not looking like they're trying to win their division.

Brewers have a 3.5 game lead in the wild card over the Phillies, 5 game over the Cardinals.

kittle42
09-07-2008, 05:38 PM
They could lose almost every game from here on out and still make the playoffs. I wish they'd save their swoon for October.

TommyJohn
09-07-2008, 05:58 PM
They could lose almost every game from here on out and still make the playoffs. I wish they'd save their swoon for October.
Indeed. Just keep in mind the 2006 Tigers. They pulled off a gigantic choke job that normally would go down in history. Instead all it meant is that they would not have home field advantage in the playoffs. And what happened? They got hot and won seven straight to go to the World Series. They only way they should've been let near the Series that year is by paying to get in, like everybody else. So let's not gloat about the Cubbie-Cubbies. They'll be playing in October.

One thing I want to know: will the media be rooting for a Cubbie Choke, they way they pulled for one in September of 2005? The nutjob psycho is gone, so there won't be any hysterical rants in the Sun-Times, but Greg is still around. What will he say? And will Dan McGrath and his boys put out any "CHOKE HOLD" headlines anytime soon?

turners56
09-07-2008, 06:36 PM
Kerry Wood got all pissed at Cabrera. Get pissed at yourself Kerry, you sucked hard.

areilly
09-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Another Cubs thread. Awesome.

Hitmen77
09-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Anytime the Cubs stumble is fine with me (except when they're playing one of our division rivals during the regular season). If it shuts up loud-mouthed Cub fans - who have been acting like they're already world champs since May - even for a little while, that's a good thing.

If it costs them home field advantage in the playoffs - that's great. Not a guarantee they won't win the pennant (see '06 Tigers, '05 Astros, etc.), but it would at least give them some disadvantage.

I just want them to keep stumbling once the post season begins, but that's 3 weeks away. Meanwhile, I'm more focused on what the Sox and Twins are doing right now to worry too much about the Flubs. I didn't even realize the Cubs had lost so many games in the last week until I read this thread.

oeo
09-07-2008, 10:02 PM

With the questionable health of Zambrano and Harden, their swooning may not stop.

Foulke You
09-08-2008, 12:05 AM
Well, this is the "What's the Score?" board. If you don't want to read about them, go to Talking Baseball or Sox Clubhouse. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a rant or discussion about the cuddlies. Other times, I want my baseball discussion filtered to remove any talk of the North Side club. This is the beauty of WSI. We have choices here.

DumpJerry
09-08-2008, 12:41 AM
Yeah, I, too, was fooled by the title.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 12:41 AM
I want the D-Backs to make it this year.

-Maybe they'll be swept again!

-Maybe we'll see the same dumbass trying to flash that neon cub's sign behind home plate.

-Maybe I can enjoy watching the Cubs getting swept on a network that's not TBS.

The bad thing is that all AL series during the postseason will be on TBS! :o:

JB98
09-08-2008, 12:43 AM
I think the Cubs might catch a second wind once they clinch a playoff spot. They have to be feeling the weight of history a little bit, and the fans are in a state of panic.

Of course, if neither Zambrano nor Harden are healthy for October, their season will end in tears. That's really the key for them, the health of those two pitchers.

OldRomanPizza
09-08-2008, 12:49 AM
Well, I do question the need for another Cubs thread....

but...

(pssst....over here!)

the way they lost today was just brilliant. Can you imagine them being eliminated in a game like that in the playoffs. Would love it!! I hope they just end up like our 2000 Sox! :redneck

thomas35forever
09-08-2008, 12:50 AM
I want the D-Backs to make it this year.

-Maybe they'll be swept again!

-Maybe we'll see the same dumbass trying to flash that neon cub's sign behind home plate.

-Maybe I can enjoy watching the Cubs getting swept on a network that's not TBS.

The bad thing is that all AL series during the postseason will be on TBS! :o:
Think we'll see another hundred promos for Frank TV this year? Word has it that show is getting a second life, probably because the writers' strike barely gave it a chance.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 12:52 AM
Think we'll see another hundred promos for Frank TV this year? Word has it that show is getting a second life since the writer's strike barely gave it a chance.
God, I hope it doesn't. I watched an episode after the WS because you pretty much had to after seeing all those commercials during the post season. Let's just say that Caliendo should stick to selling DVR's....

johnnyg83
09-08-2008, 12:57 AM
oh root, is that show bad. What's with the weird audience \ segues between bits .. the guy can't do unscripted ...and his impersonations are just OK .. not enough.

C-Dawg
09-08-2008, 07:18 AM
One thing I want to know: will the media be rooting for a Cubbie Choke, they way they pulled for one in September of 2005? The nutjob psycho is gone, so there won't be any hysterical rants in the Sun-Times, but Greg is still around. What will he say? And will Dan McGrath and his boys put out any "CHOKE HOLD" headlines anytime soon?

Don't forget Eric Zorn and his "toxic number"; he was openly rooting for the Indians to overtake the Sox.

TommyJohn
09-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Don't forget Eric Zorn and his "toxic number"; he was openly rooting for the Indians to overtake the Sox.

No, Zorn is tracking the Cubs number to clinch a playoff spot. And...cue puke tag...he's calling it the "nice number." Gag. Wretch.

doublem23
09-08-2008, 09:46 AM
Hopefully this is a sign of how this teams handles a bit of pressure.

:praying: I would love to see them piss the play-offs away. Don't lose hope everyone, THIS IS THE YEAR*!

* for another epic collapse.

WizardsofOzzie
09-08-2008, 08:05 PM
I was there with a bunch of friends who are Cubs fans. I took my fair share of jabs from them regarding the Sox and even the Reds (If I wasn't a Sox fan I'd probably be a Reds fan), so when the Reds came back to win it in the 9th it was oh so sweet to watch them sit there and sulk. One of them even bought one of those "W" flags around the 5th inning, and it put a big smile on my face to watch him put it back in his pocket, still in it's original wrapping. I told them over lunch, until the Cubs fanbase learns a little humility, I'll root for choke jobs for years to come.

09-08-2008, 08:20 PM
I was there with a bunch of friends who are Cubs fans. I took my fair share of jabs from them regarding the Sox and even the Reds (If I wasn't a Sox fan I'd probably be a Reds fan), so when the Reds came back to win it in the 9th it was oh so sweet to watch them sit there and sulk. One of them even bought one of those "W" flags around the 5th inning, and it put a big smile on my face to watch him put it back in his pocket, still in it's original wrapping. I told them over lunch, until the Cubs fanbase learns a little humility, I'll root for choke jobs for years to come.

I found it disgusting how the Cub fans basically took over the stadium this weekend. They bought tickets, they're entitled to cheer, etc. and yeah the Reds fans didn't show up. But your remark about humility hits the nail on the head. And the Cubs fans wonder why they're one of the most despised fans around.

Sometimes I wish it was like it used to be in the 1st balcony at the Stadium for Blackhawks games. Show up in another teams colors and you'd get ... ummm ... shouted down, yeah that's it, shouted down really fast.

The Brewers fans used to really hate White Sox fans but now after experiencing Cubs fans, they wish they had the White Sox fans back.

chisoxmike
09-08-2008, 08:27 PM
The Brewers fans used to really hate White Sox fans but now after experiencing Cubs fans, they wish they had the White Sox fans back.

Brewers fans hate Sox fans just as much as they hate Cubs fans.

It will be pretty funny next year when the Sox play up there to see how the Sox fans act. I mean, with everybody on here (including myself) hating how Cubs fans take over a park and act like its their own, it will be interesting to see if Sox fans tone it down. I doubt it.

turners56
09-08-2008, 08:40 PM

It will be pretty funny next year when the Sox play up there to see how the Sox fans act. I mean, with everybody on here (including myself) hating how Cubs fans take over a park and act like its their own, it will be interesting to see if Sox fans tone it down. I doubt it.

I don't know about that...

09-08-2008, 08:54 PM
I don't know about that...

I don't either. Absence probably hasn't made the heart grow fonder, but I have occasion to talk to many many Brewers fans in and around Milwaukee. Their disdain for Cubs fans is very evident, and more than a few have told me they are way worse than Sox fans ever were.

I guess it depends who you talk to.

Noneck
09-08-2008, 09:48 PM

When I went up there for an Indians - Angels game last year, I wore my Sox cap and was warmly greeted. Maybe they remember when the Sox played some home games up there.

chisoxfanatic
09-08-2008, 09:58 PM
When I went up there for an Indians - Angels game last year, I wore my Sox cap and was warmly greeted. Maybe they remember when the Sox played some home games up there.
I wore a Sox hat too up there last year, and some people even commented, "At least that's not a Cubs hat."

TDog
09-08-2008, 10:22 PM

I went to see the Sox play the Brewers the last time they were in Milwaukee. There were no problems, and I was one of many people wearing Sox caps. They weren't as nice as the ticket seller at the Giants game in San Francisco who said she liked my White Sox-logo polo shirt, and then noted she came from Chicago.

Back in the day, of course, the Sox-Brewers rivalry was nasty. Harry Caray used to say that more Sox fans showed up for the games in Milwaukee than the ones in Chicago. My boss in Waukesha said he took his son to a Saturday game against the Sox where the crowd was so contentious that the Brewers shut down beer sales after the second. But with the White Sox in a different league, Brewers fans and Sox fans now have something in common.

Noneck
09-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Back in the day, of course, the Sox-Brewers rivalry was nasty. Harry Caray used to say that more Sox fans showed up for the games in Milwaukee than the ones in Chicago.

I remember those days. I went up there on one occasion with a date, after a Sox win I was waiting to get out of the parking lot and 5 big cheesehead boys came to my car which had Illinois plates and a chicago sticker and started rocking it. My date started to cry and I realized I was greatly out numbered for a altercation. Thinking quickly I came up with the following solution. I rolled the window down and yelled, "What are you guys doing, We are cubs fans." They stopped and said "Sorry we didn't know."

DumpJerry
09-08-2008, 11:19 PM
I was at one of the Tribe-Halo games, too. The Brewer fans spent most of the time chanting "Cubs suck!" during the game. The Sox fans laughed while the Angel and Indian fans actually watched the game.

1908<2005
09-09-2008, 11:10 PM
Another awesome collapse tonight.

kittle42
09-09-2008, 11:18 PM
Always nice, but tough to enjoy seeing its meaninglessness and our horrendous evening.

champagne030
09-10-2008, 12:18 AM
I found it disgusting how the Cub fans basically took over the stadium this weekend. They bought tickets, they're entitled to cheer, etc. and yeah the Reds fans didn't show up. But your remark about humility hits the nail on the head. And the Cubs fans wonder why they're one of the most despised fans around.

I was ashamed at the actions of some of the pro-White Sox crowd that took over GAP in 2006.

I agree that there's more asshat Flubs fans, but a decent sized portion of 'our' fans acted like *******s when following the 2006 White Sox on the road.

EuroSox35
09-10-2008, 12:36 AM
The Brewers are pathetic. Matching the Cubs loss for loss against pitiful teams. Between this, the last series at home against the Cubs at home, and what they did last year, they rank up there for one of the league's top choke artists

EuroSox35
09-10-2008, 12:39 AM
I don't see the big deal about the fans going to the opposing park, no need to be hypocritical about that, but it's another thing to go to other parks and initiate fights, trash the place, etc (like they did with our statues, like how there's accounts and YouTube videos of **** they start in other stadiums, etc)

Whitesoxfan23
09-10-2008, 03:10 AM
I rather see the Cardinals win the Wildcard, instead of the Brewers. The Braves and Cardinals are my favorite NL teams.

ZombieRob
09-10-2008, 06:38 AM
Well Lou threw a hissy fit, so he's the media darling again and that should get the Cubs inspired again. IMO the Cubs are getting a taste of what it's like not having to play the Pirates every other week. Yet the Brewers seem not to want this division either.

palehozenychicty
09-10-2008, 09:24 AM
Well Lou threw a hissy fit, so he's the media darling again and that should get the Cubs inspired again. IMO the Cubs are getting a taste of what it's like not having to play the Pirates every other week. Yet the Brewers seem not to want this division either.

The Brewers stink. So does Ned Yost. Losing to Cincinnati twice at home in September is inexcusable.

Foulke You
09-10-2008, 05:41 PM
The Brewers stink. So does Ned Yost. Losing to Cincinnati twice at home in September is inexcusable.
The Brewers are peeing their pants. At this rate, I'm expecting the wild card to come from the East with the way the Brewers and Cubs are playing.

WizardsofOzzie
09-11-2008, 10:12 AM
Sadly this is the 2nd year in a row that the division has been laid out on a silver platter for the Brewers and they choke it away.