PDA

View Full Version : What's up in Baltimore?

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2008, 01:43 AM
Does anyone know what's going on in Baltimore that there isn't an O's/A's game tomorrow? I find it extremely odd that a pair of teams don't have a game on a day of the week where everyone always plays.

They had a DH scheduled for today, and one of their games was rained out and its makeup date has yet to be announced. I'm scratching my head here, because I have some players on my fantasy team involved with the two teams who are very good.

sox1970
09-07-2008, 01:51 AM
They scheduled a DH for today because of the Ravens tomorrow.

Sox4ever77
09-07-2008, 01:59 AM
They scheduled a DH for today because of the Ravens tomorrow.

I don't believe they share the same stadium, so why would the Ravens playing tomorrow effect the Orioles? I do know both stadiums are next to each other. So traffic is a concern.

sox1970
09-07-2008, 02:03 AM
I don't believe they share the same stadium, so why would the Ravens playing tomorrow effect the Orioles? I do know both stadiums are next to each other. So traffic is a concern.

Right. They share parking probably, and a night game wasn't an option.

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 05:25 AM

Right. They share parking probably, and a night game wasn't an option.

The stadiums share parking lots and are just a few hundred yards apart, no way could they ever host games at the same time. What I'm wondering is, why was it scheduled to overlap? I'm assuming the MLB schedule came out first, they should have factored in when the Orioles had home games on sundays in September.

DumpJerry
09-07-2008, 08:57 AM
The stadiums share parking lots and are just a few hundred yards apart, no way could they ever host games at the same time. What I'm wondering is, why was it scheduled to overlap? I'm assuming the MLB schedule came out first, they should have factored in when the Orioles had home games on sundays in September.
:tool
Ummm.....yeah....let me get back to you on that one.....it's true the MLB schedule comes out during the NFL season......I was busy making sure there would be weekends of no baseball in Chicago and weekends with Chicago doubleheaders to notice.........

pierzynski07
09-07-2008, 09:16 AM
Ummm.....yeah....let me get back to you on that one.....it's true the MLB schedule comes out during the NFL season......I was busy making sure there would be weekends of no baseball in Chicago and weekends with Chicago doubleheaders to notice.........
How relevent. :rolleyes:

The NFL screws up again.

TheOldRoman
09-07-2008, 01:14 PM
Ummm.....yeah....let me get back to you on that one.....it's true the MLB schedule comes out during the NFL season......I was busy making sure there would be weekends of no baseball in Chicago and weekends with Chicago doubleheaders to notice.........I don't understand what you are trying to say. What the **** to you want Bud to do, have the Orioles on the road every weekend in September? All teams have at least two home weekends in September. The NFL knew when the Orioles were scheduled, and they decided to put the Ravens at home that weekend, anyway. This is just another show of the arrogance and stupidity of the NFL, especially under current leadership. The right thing for the Orioles to do would have been telling Goddell to go **** himself, but there might have been 2,000 people at the game today.

TDog
09-07-2008, 01:19 PM
Of course, because the day game was raised out Saturday, the Orioles and A's could only get one game in on Saturday. As just about everythng during this A's season, the Saturday doubleheader was a bad idea gone worse. The same could be said for the Orioles, who walked in five A's runs Friday night before walking the bases loaded in the first Saturday night. I just hope they get their act together next weekend against the Twins.

The A's press notes say this is the first regular seasson Sunday off the A's have had since Sept. 17, 2000. I have no idea why that Sunday wasn't sscheduled. I know the Padres some years ago played a (single-admission) home doubleheader on a Saturday, I believe because of Chargers football at the Murph.

LoveYourSuit
09-07-2008, 01:48 PM
Aren't they getting pounded by the tropical storm out there?

DSpivack
09-07-2008, 01:56 PM
Aren't they getting pounded by the tropical storm out there?

It came and went pretty quickly yesterday. That's why the day game of the DH was cancelled yesterday, but the night game was played. By sunset the sky was perfectly clear, although here in Alexandria we did get about 7 inches of rain; not much wind, though.

DumpJerry
09-08-2008, 12:11 AM
I don't understand what you are trying to say. What the **** to you want Bud to do, have the Orioles on the road every weekend in September? All teams have at least two home weekends in September. The NFL knew when the Orioles were scheduled, and they decided to put the Ravens at home that weekend, anyway. This is just another show of the arrogance and stupidity of the NFL, especially under current leadership. The right thing for the Orioles to do would have been telling Goddell to go **** himself, but there might have been 2,000 people at the game today.
Ever since Bud hired the "geniuses" at MIT to handle MLB scheduling, it's been a total train wreck. We now have close to two dozen "Chicago doubleheaders" when in the past, they never happened. This has resulted in Chicago having no baseball at home some weekends during the summer months of the season. It has also resulted in scheduling idiocy like the Sox having nine home games in a row, then just three in Oakland followed by six at home.

Selig is a disaster of a Commissioner. Plain and simple. It's more than just the goofy scheduling which used to be rational, it's also the head in the sand approach to PEDs, draconian television contracts which deny fans the ability to watch their teams, and many other sins against the fans. It's almost as if he forgot who really puts the $$$$ in MLB's pockets. Us.

drewcifer
09-08-2008, 12:15 AM
Ever since Bud hired the "geniuses" at MIT to handle MLB scheduling, it's been a total train wreck. We now have close to two dozen "Chicago doubleheaders" when in the past, they never happened. This has resulted in Chicago having no baseball at home some weekends during the summer months of the season. It has also resulted in scheduling idiocy like the Sox having nine home games in a row, then just three in Oakland followed by six at home.

Selig is a disaster of a Commissioner. Plain and simple. It's more than just the goofy scheduling which used to be rational, it's also the head in the sand approach to PEDs, draconian television contracts which deny fans the ability to watch their teams, and many other sins against the fans. It's almost as if he forgot who really puts the $$$$ in MLB's pockets. Us.

Agree with everything you said up until the $ part.

That's TV, unless you're calling ticket buyers TV watchers too.

BleacherBandit
09-08-2008, 12:26 AM

Meh, The Orioles would probably garner about 10 fans anyways. They should have just let them play at the same time. :rolleyes:

DSpivack
09-08-2008, 12:39 AM
Meh, The Orioles would probably garner about 10 fans anyways. They should have just let them play at the same time. :rolleyes:

It's a logistic impossibility.

TheOldRoman
09-08-2008, 01:04 AM

Selig is a disaster of a Commissioner. Plain and simple. It's more than just the goofy scheduling which used to be rational, it's also the head in the sand approach to PEDs, draconian television contracts which deny fans the ability to watch their teams, and many other sins against the fans. It's almost as if he forgot who really puts the $$$$ in MLB's pockets. Us. I agree, but they had to move a game which was originally scheduled for Sunday because the NFL ****ed up, or was too arrogant to care that a baseball game was scheduled. This wasn't an MLB scheduling error.

Sox4ever77
09-08-2008, 05:42 PM

Chicago doubleheaders "never" happened before the geniuses at MIT started handling the schedule? I know did two, Chicago doubleheaders in the late 90's. One because a friend was going to all MLB stadiums in a summer and he did Chicago in one day.

I agree that they are more frequent now. But to say it never happened, is off base.

TDog
09-08-2008, 07:43 PM
Chicago doubleheaders "never" happened before the geniuses at MIT started handling the schedule? I know did two, Chicago doubleheaders in the late 90's. One because a friend was going to all MLB stadiums in a summer and he did Chicago in one day.

I agree that they are more frequent now. But to say it never happened, is off base.

The Sox played night games on days when they Cubs played during the day when I was a kid. A few times, they even played games at the same time, which everyone tried to avoid before Wrigley sold the team. I read that scheduling the Chicago teams so there was no overlap became difficult after divisional play began in 1969, although I don't understand why that would be an issue. Maybe someone does, but apparently it's even more difficult with three divisions and interleague play figured in.