PDA

View Full Version : Is the good MacDougal back?

sunofgold
09-07-2008, 12:17 AM
9/1 1.0 IP 0H 0BB 1K
9/2 1.1 IP 1H1BB 1K
9/6 1.1 IP 1H 0BB 0K

This guy has electric stuff. He just has to throw strikes.

GO WHITE SOX!

BleacherBandit
09-07-2008, 12:23 AM
Meh.

Noneck
09-07-2008, 12:37 AM
Here is a guy that has the best stuff of anyone in the pen and maybe on the club, "If" and ONLY "if" he gets his head on straight and has control. But if he does he could be be a scary feature in the pen. He is not a career minor league crap slinger like Carrasco and Wassermann. He is a 1st rd draft choice that was able to get 27 saves for KC in 03. Stranger things happen in baseball, one never knows, he could be a key to this year.

sunofgold
09-07-2008, 12:44 AM
Just wondering if he would be eligible for the postseason since he was called up on 9/1. Could he replace CQ if CQ is unable to return this season (most likely scenario) and the WHITE SOX make the postseason?

Obviously he would have to continue to pitch well to even be considered.

hi im skot
09-07-2008, 12:48 AM
Looking good so far. He's got the talent, as we saw in 2006. If he's back, we're in reeeeeally good shape.

hawkjt
09-07-2008, 01:04 AM
Just wondering if he would be eligible for the postseason since he was called up on 9/1. Could he replace CQ if CQ is unable to return this season (most likely scenario) and the WHITE SOX make the postseason?

Good question. Not sure but I like what I am seeing out of McDougy
so far. If he can keep throwing strikes, he might help us big time down the stretch. All hands on deck after tonite...we need arms.

johnnyg83
09-07-2008, 01:07 AM
If BBBJ and Linebrink can pitch to their lines this season, I have no problem using MacD in a right handed BP role. Just not when we have a small lead or are tied ... until he proves himself more.

Nellie_Fox
09-07-2008, 01:09 AM
His throwing motion seems more under control. If he can throw strikes with movement rather than 97 MPH with no idea where it's going, good.

whitesox901
09-07-2008, 01:11 AM
Looking good so far. He's got the talent, as we saw in 2006. If he's back, we're in reeeeeally good shape.

I hope so, that would be great!

BoKnowsBest
09-07-2008, 03:31 AM

From what I understand he'd be able to replace someone on the DL in the postseason. I'm thinking most likely Jose would be the one replaced, since he's out for good, but I could be totally misunderstanding the rule as it is 1:30am.

chisoxfanatic
09-07-2008, 03:55 AM
From what I understand he'd be able to replace someone on the DL in the postseason. I'm thinking most likely Jose would be the one replaced, since he's out for good, but I could be totally misunderstanding the rule as it is 1:30am.
A player must be on the 25-man roster as of August 31st to make the postseason roster. In the case of an injury, a replacement player who plays the same position is allowed on that postseason roster. Such replacement player must be on the team's 40-man roster as of August 31st.

A. Cavatica
09-07-2008, 07:56 AM
I hope MacDougal is on a short leash. I trust him even less than Logan.

turners56
09-07-2008, 09:17 AM
Get him in a bigger situation. I wonder how he will pitch with more pressure. As somebody said, Mike doesn't have his head straight at times.

HartmanSox
09-07-2008, 09:27 AM
He's still a basket case to me, but I'm pulling for him.

KyWhiSoxFan
09-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I hope MacDougal is on a short leash. I trust him even less than Logan.

Is that even possible, to trust him less than Logan? Logan should not even be in AAA, let alone the majors. MacDougal has been bad, but he has not been Logan bad. I can't stand Logan. He's not a train wreck waiting to happen, he is a train wreck. I seriously doubt you will see him again this year.

Rounding_Third
09-07-2008, 09:44 AM
The other night in Cleveland when he pitched, Hawk was talking about some new, slower, smoother delivery he was working on to gain his control. Hawk was making a good point that MacDougal's movement on his pitches is so good that all he has to do is throw over the plate, no matter the location. I only caught the last 20 seconds of the discussion. Did anyone hear the whole thing? Not sure if it was theory or fact that he working on it. It could be significant, if true. Thanks!

Zisk77
09-07-2008, 09:59 AM
Well his prevoius motion was described as "max. effort" now he seems much smoother and seems to have better command.

Paulwny
09-07-2008, 10:28 AM
The other night in Cleveland when he pitched, Hawk was talking about some new, slower, smoother delivery he was working on to gain his control. Hawk was making a good point that MacDougal's movement on his pitches is so good that all he has to do is throw over the plate, no matter the location. I only caught the last 20 seconds of the discussion. Did anyone hear the whole thing? Not sure if it was theory or fact that he working on it. It could be significant, if true. Thanks!

They mentioned a shorter stride to the plate with his left leg, making a smoother motion.

Rounding_Third
09-07-2008, 10:32 AM
They mentioned a shorter stride to the plate with his left leg, making a smoother motion.

Thanks! So far, so good!

35th and Shields
09-07-2008, 02:48 PM
Is that even possible, to trust him less than Logan? Logan should not even be in AAA, let alone the majors. MacDougal has been bad, but he has not been Logan bad. I can't stand Logan. He's not a train wreck waiting to happen, he is a train wreck. I seriously doubt you will see him again this year.

Yeah I don't know what happened to Logan. He was solid to start the year but since then has sucked. He's got the talent but he's also got some serious confidence issues.

Optipessimism
09-07-2008, 11:11 PM
Here is a guy that has the best stuff of anyone in the pen and maybe on the club, "If" and ONLY "if" he gets his head on straight and has control. But if he does he could be be a scary feature in the pen. He is not a career minor league crap slinger like Carrasco and Wassermann. He is a 1st rd draft choice that was able to get 27 saves for KC in 03. Stranger things happen in baseball, one never knows, he could be a key to this year.

I wouldn't call either Wassermann or Carrasco "career minor league crap slingers" simply because they don't throw the ball in the mid-90's.

Wassermann's ERA skyrocketed because in his first 10 appearances he only worked 3.2 IP yet gave up 11 earned runs. Much of that isn't totally on him though as his bullpen mates would regularly come in after Ehren allowed a baserunner and cough up everything. Ineffeciency looks bad on everyone.

Since Wassermann's 3 inning performance against Cleveland prior to being sent back down to Charlotte, he has worked 14 IP, yielding 12 hits, 10 walks, 6 K, and 6 runs (4 earned) for an ERA of 2.57 and a WHIP of 1.57. While the WHIP is high, he has been facing lefties much more this year and seems to be growing as a pitcher.

Wassermann isn't afraid of the bat. He comes from an angle that is deceptive to righties, he can work several innings if need be, he will throw strikes with movement, and that package has historically been more than enough to make some long, productive careers for relievers. He's been much better since coming back, he had a great year last year, and all he's done in the minor leagues is prove his worth by getting people out.

Carrasco meanwhile has been the MVP of our bullpen in the second half as far as I'm concerned. He's eaten innings and saved us a lot of horror. He's probably not a set-up man, but because he actually throws strikes, Ozzie has been forced to use him more regularly and for longer than he'd normally like to. Carrasco is probably best off as a long man. Still, in 33.2 IP with an ERA of 3.48 and a WHIP of 1.01 (23 hits, only 11 walks) he has more than earned his spot on a contending team with bigger arms because he actually has the mental capacity to pitch in the big leagues.

Bucky F. Dent
09-08-2008, 07:09 AM
He's still a basket case to me, but I'm pulling for him.

Watched him Saturday night, he did his job, but he just looked uncomfortable on the mound. I agree with the others - very short leash.

jabrch
09-08-2008, 07:34 AM
If we have an injury to someone who is playoff eligible, then Mac could play in the post season, right?

I'm shocked he is throwing well enough for us to even be talking about this.

Frater Perdurabo
09-08-2008, 07:52 AM
A player must be on the 25-man roster as of August 31st to make the postseason roster. In the case of an injury, a replacement player who plays the same position is allowed on that postseason roster. Such replacement player must be on the team's 40-man roster as of August 31st.

So in that case, MacDougal would be able to replace Contreras on the playoff roster, because:

MacDougal, like Contreras, is a pitcher;

MacDougal has been on the 40-man roster all season.

Frater Perdurabo
09-08-2008, 07:54 AM
If we have an injury to someone who is playoff eligible, then Mac could play in the post season, right?

I'm shocked he is throwing well enough for us to even be talking about this.

I think he would be eligible to make the postseason roster if he's the official "roster replacement" for Contreras.

But I think his greatest value could be if he can make a dozen or so quality relief appearances in September. Between a resurgent MacDougal and a healthy Linebrink, this pen suddenly could be formidable.

oeo
09-08-2008, 08:00 AM
I wouldn't call either Wassermann or Carrasco "career minor league crap slingers" simply because they don't throw the ball in the mid-90's.

Wassermann's ERA skyrocketed because in his first 10 appearances he only worked 3.2 IP yet gave up 11 earned runs. Much of that isn't totally on him though as his bullpen mates would regularly come in after Ehren allowed a baserunner and cough up everything. Ineffeciency looks bad on everyone.

Since Wassermann's 3 inning performance against Cleveland prior to being sent back down to Charlotte, he has worked 14 IP, yielding 12 hits, 10 walks, 6 K, and 6 runs (4 earned) for an ERA of 2.57 and a WHIP of 1.57. While the WHIP is high, he has been facing lefties much more this year and seems to be growing as a pitcher.

Wassermann isn't afraid of the bat. He comes from an angle that is deceptive to righties, he can work several innings if need be, he will throw strikes with movement, and that package has historically been more than enough to make some long, productive careers for relievers. He's been much better since coming back, he had a great year last year, and all he's done in the minor leagues is prove his worth by getting people out.

Carrasco meanwhile has been the MVP of our bullpen in the second half as far as I'm concerned. He's eaten innings and saved us a lot of horror. He's probably not a set-up man, but because he actually throws strikes, Ozzie has been forced to use him more regularly and for longer than he'd normally like to. Carrasco is probably best off as a long man. Still, in 33.2 IP with an ERA of 3.48 and a WHIP of 1.01 (23 hits, only 11 walks) he has more than earned his spot on a contending team with bigger arms because he actually has the mental capacity to pitch in the big leagues.

Carrasco can touch close to the mid-90s. I think he's the real deal, too. Methinks Buddy Bell gave them the insider on this guy and they picked him up.